What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Hope you’ve had a wonderful birthday @jayney27

@maglil55 so glad to hear your new gym is a hit.

I’ve had a decadent day with 2 meals I haven’t cooked
B: handful of brazil nuts and an individual portion of M&S Cornish cove cheddar

L: at Ask with friends ( rearranged from last week) had the chicken and pancetta salad with olive oil instead of the dressing that comes with it. Coffee and cream ( again forgot I’m trying to avoid it, but again no ill effects yippee)

D: takeaway curry chicken tikka starter portion. Spoonful of saag paneer and cauli curry.
I’ve had a lovely birthday thank you xx

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for wishing me a happy birthday, it’s been lovely.
I had beautiful flowers and a card from work colleagues to start the day, also my partner was very ingenious and he put a sparkler in my morning toast as I wasn’t going to have cake this year.
I didn’t have a proper lunch as we went out to eat this evening, I had some of our wonderful microwave salami, cheese and then a bit later a cappuccino and an Adonis brownie. BG was 5.7
We ate out, I chose double bacon burgers without the bun and replaced the chips with salad, side of slaw and then I did risk a dessert, peanut butter cheesecake and asked them to not serve the ice cream, it then came with some whipped cream, I did indulge, it’s my birthday after all. BG before eating 4.8 and at the 2hr 5.7 yay happy birthday to me

Attachments

• 505F9029-3D1D-4506-8343-7EAC12E6376E.jpeg
    505F9029-3D1D-4506-8343-7EAC12E6376E.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 0E6B1242-4DBB-4676-95F2-1DDF4E53A7F2.jpeg
    0E6B1242-4DBB-4676-95F2-1DDF4E53A7F2.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 330
  • AC53B5A1-260C-4463-B0F8-5C1954E158AF.jpeg
    AC53B5A1-260C-4463-B0F8-5C1954E158AF.jpeg
    912.3 KB · Views: 371
  • DBF8BB60-DF69-4D32-A749-FE82EC9B438F.jpeg
    DBF8BB60-DF69-4D32-A749-FE82EC9B438F.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 401
Reactions: maglil55

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, hope all is well! I've had a good day blood sugar wise today, it has consistently been between 5.5 and 6.6 which are the best readings I've had since I started measuring around a week ago!

B: Decaf coffee with cream
L: One low carb bagel with turkey, emmental and spinach
D: 2 x Heck chicken Italia sausage, avocado, lettuce, cucumber, ham, brie, and pepperoni crisps.
And a Cadbury's Highlights sachet before bed.

Much the same as yesterday but I enjoyed my food yesterday so much that I thought I'd have it again!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for wishing me a happy birthday, it’s been lovely.
I had beautiful flowers and a card from work colleagues to start the day, also my partner was very ingenious and he put a sparkler in my morning toast as I wasn’t going to have cake this year.
I didn’t have a proper lunch as we went out to eat this evening, I had some of our wonderful microwave salami, cheese and then a bit later a cappuccino and an Adonis brownie. BG was 5.7
We ate out, I chose double bacon burgers without the bun and replaced the chips with salad, side of slaw and then I did risk a dessert, peanut butter cheesecake and asked them to not serve the ice cream, it then came with some whipped cream, I did indulge, it’s my birthday after all. BG before eating 4.8 and at the 2hr 5.7 yay happy birthday to me

What a result @jayney27 ! Bet that was the best birthday present of all.

Reactions: catarinagallo

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Just stumbled into this thread after searching for some inspiration and advice. After almost 3 years at this I do not yet feel totally comfortable in my grasp of LCHF. Psychologically I must have become conditioned to be very wary of fat and deep down I have a strong drive to eat lots of vegetables and ensure 30 gms of fibre daily. The issue I have is how to square 30 gms fibre and 20 to 30 gms carbs a day without stressing myself out about fat. Any ideas would be appreciated. I would also say that my heart lies with the clean eating tribe. If I have to "butcher" recipes to make them fit LCHF something is wrong for me.
Just ending my first 2 day plus fast and like the results but want to use that as a springboard to kick on. Clearly I haven't got this right yet so want to take soundings.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Just stumbled into this thread after searching for some inspiration and advice. After almost 3 years at this I do not yet feel totally comfortable in my grasp of LCHF. Psychologically I must have become conditioned to be very wary of fat and deep down I have a strong drive to eat lots of vegetables and ensure 30 gms of fibre daily. The issue I have is how to square 30 gms fibre and 20 to 30 gms carbs a day without stressing myself out about fat. Any ideas would be appreciated. I would also say that my heart lies with the clean eating tribe.

Difficult one. I don’t track fibre at all. Enjoy veggies but recently have been eating a whole lot fewer of them with no ill effects at all - quite the reverse. Complete fataholic! For me it’s the excess protein that impacts BG.

Just looking at the nutritional info on my app and 116g cauliflower is only 2.9g fibre, so getting to 30g would be a huge stack of veggies - and carbs. I see your challenge.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just looking at the nutritional info on my app and 116g cauliflower is only 2.9g fibre, so getting to 30g would be a huge stack of veggies - and carbs. I see your challenge.
@Goonergal I am willing to include plenty of Chia seeds and flaxseed plus psyllyium husk powder to get where I want. I imagine I am after a niche market of clean eating high fibre keto . My vision of this would include a very high percentage of seasonal produce from my own garden and chickens. Meat is a harder issue as I am cynical about the grass fed claims but a local farm shop slaughters its own crocodile, buffalo, beef, lamb, venison an ostrich - the catch is the price!
Anyone else looking for this niche or already on it I would be ecstatic for good advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could someone post a link or give me the recipe for the chorizo/salami crisps as both sound good.
Just eaten some @ianpspurs you just put in microwave wrapped in kitchen towel for 90 secs @Brunneria told us about it. They are lovely
Welcome to this thread btw.
Evening to all I’ve finished my decorating today five doors! Good feeling to have out of the way.
Breakfast one rasher bacon, egg and mushrooms
Lunch low carb lemon cake slice with cream
Dinner salami crisps then chicken curry and a slice of low carb bread fried in coconut oil followed by lemon and lime mousse gin and soda water ready for this evening.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just eaten some @ianpspurs you just put in microwave wrapped in kitchen towel for 90 secs @Brunneria told us about it. They are lovely
Welcome to this thread btw.
Thanks for the recipe and thanks for the welcome.
Your food list for today looks very enticing good job I didn't read it whilst fasting as I would have weakened!
Don't usually eat breakfast but to break the fast I had 28 gms walnuts, 1 hard boiled egg and 2 slices corned beef.
Lunch was 1 little gem lettuce, 14 gms cherry tomatoes, 100 gms cucumber, 3 radishes, 10 gms spring onions, 1 wonky avocado, 4 tbl spoons olive oil. 2 tbl spoons cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 25 gms chia seeds and 1 hard boiled egg
For dinner 100 gm raspberries, 150 gms Liberte yogurt, 6 gms psyllium husk powder, 2 tbls flaxseeds.
If TLDR sorry and in future no units!

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I am willing to include plenty of Chia seeds and flaxseed plus psyllyium husk powder to get where I want. I imagine I am after a niche market of clean eating high fibre keto . My vision of this would include a very high percentage of seasonal produce from my own garden and chickens. Meat is a harder issue as I am cynical about the grass fed claims but a local farm shop slaughters its own crocodile, buffalo, beef, lamb, venison an ostrich - the catch is the price!
Anyone else looking for this niche or already on it I would be ecstatic for good advice.
Hi @ianpspurs good to see you here but I now eat a fair amount of fat lik3 @Goonergal. I did struggle in the beginning after a lifetime of low fat and high carb but have adjusted. I came to adjust to it by doing loads of research into fats and once realised that there were loads of healthy fats out there I started to include them and ditched all the processed oils and low fat spreads that I used to eat.
I’ve also grown lots of produce in the past but this year I am going to be only growing the low carb veggies.
I also - unlike you - love inventing low carb recipes I find it creative and I used to do loads of cooking and baking pre diabetes so see it as a progression.
I’m sure there will be someone on here who could inspire you and eats in the way you are heading.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs good to see you here but I now eat a fair amount of fat lik3 @Goonergal. I did struggle in the beginning after a lifetime of low fat and high carb but have adjusted.
Thanks @shelley262. I think I do eat a reasonable amount of fat. Today's analysis comes up thus. Daily Calorie Composition: 4% from carbs, 83% from fat and 13% from protein. A relatively average day recently broke down as Daily Calorie Composition: 4% from carbs, 86% from fat and 10% from protein. Both days had 25 gms or more of fibre. My average carbs this year are just under 30 gms per day. My dilema/quest is how to go lower in carbs but retain the fibre.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @shelley262. I think I do eat a reasonable amount of fat. Today's analysis comes up thus. Daily Calorie Composition: 4% from carbs, 83% from fat and 13% from protein. A relatively average day recently broke down as Daily Calorie Composition: 4% from carbs, 86% from fat and 10% from protein. Both days had 25 gms or more of fibre. My average carbs this year are just under 30 gms per day. My dilema/quest is how to go lower in carbs but retain the fibre.
Sorry misunderstood - blame it on the door painting! I posted before you did your days menu and can see that you do.
Have you thought of using inulin? It makes a clear liquid and you can add to drinks? When I first went low carb I used this a fair bit to keep fibre up - it’s normally chicory or artichoke root and not much carb for a lot of fibre. I also bake with erythritol which is a bit like inulin it’s a natural fruit sugar product that tastes sweet but isn’t digested so it’s zero carb but it’s all fibre .
I also make diet doctor seed crackers sometimes which are good for fibre and low carb. dD have loads of great recipes and ideas.
You sound like you already eat plenty of seeds and nuts etc which are another fairly low carb way to up the fibre.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you thought of using inulin? It makes a clear liquid and you can add to drinks? When I first went low carb I used this a fair bit to keep fibre up - it’s normally chicory or artichoke root and not much carb for a lot of fibre. I also bake with erythritol which is a bit like inulin it’s a natural fruit sugar product that tastes sweet but isn’t digested so it’s zero carb but it’s all fibre .
I have inulin but haven't really figured out good uses for it. Baking is so far limited by its success to a chocolate cake based on a recipe from alldayidreamaboutfood which works well i.e is like a cake. Hemsley sisters flaxseed bread works but almost every other revipe we have tried for baked goods has been best avoided.

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have inulin but haven't really figured out good uses for it. Baking is so far limited by its success to a chocolate cake based on a recipe from alldayidreamaboutfood which works well i.e is like a cake. Hemsley sisters flaxseed bread works but almost every other revipe we have tried for baked goods has been best avoided.
I just add inulin to water to mix and then put in my coffee or you could just drink in water.
I could recommend a good lemon drizzle cake see
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
It works - the only change is that as @maglil55 suggested I now separate the eggs beat the whites and fold in at the end makes it ev3n lighter I also use erythritol but add a few drops of stevia. My family also like this one. It works out at 1.9g of carb per slice

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch: met brother & sister-in-law for cafe brunch and indulged in eggs royale (yes, ate the brioche bun too :wideyed:)
Dinner: roast chicken with leek and goats cheese crustless pie; salted caramel Oppo ice cream :hungry:)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just add inulin to water to mix and then put in my coffee or you could just drink in water.
I could recommend a good lemon drizzle cake see
https://www.everydaysugarfree.co.uk/single-post/2018/02/02/Lemon-Drizzle-Cake
It works - the only change is that as @maglil55 suggested I now separate the eggs beat the whites and fold in at the end makes it ev3n lighter I also use erythritol but add a few drops of stevia. My family also like this one. It works out at 1.9g of carb per slice
OK I will have a look at that recipe and thanks, Sorry if I took up too much of your time. Take care.