What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. Late on parade here, but up and about doing stuff starting at 7:20am this morning, perhaps being a trifle too active ( other pudding available ).

A young 5.6 this morning not bad you might think considering my medication and manageable so I thought. 2 hours later just after I had finished my breakfast, I started sweating, shaking and feeling not to good. A blood sugar test revealed a 3.1, big time whoops and a record low reading for me. That wiped out the rest of my morning. This reiterates the vagueries of the complicated simultaneous equation that is diabetic control.

Enough of my small problems compered to the issues facing some of our fellow posters, I wish them all well and a swift return to their normal if they so desire.
Have a great afternoon all and remember a smile costs nothing and will usually scare the living daylights out of a stranger even from 2 meters away.

aw alf..what a knock to the day.

can not compare but when i get that 'feeling' when my bloods feel off, it's horrible.

have no idea how much worse that must be for all you guys.
best wishes for a smoother day, hope it settles quickly.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I called it a whingefest, because, in the end, it's only damage to stuff and there are people here who have lost family and friends. A fast greater loss and irrepairable.

also agree with many others @SlimLizzy

the thread serves another purpose, which is to allow us to moan and whine
when the world isn't as kind as it should be.

We all need to blow off steam and where better..?
and yours was a very good reason to boot.

we can't fix the world for many, but what we can do..
by that listening ear, the shoulder to lean on

helps us all stop feeling so useless
& gives us a value,

And at a time when we all feel so helpless against an invisible foe
the fact we CAN still help others in some small way...

good for us all .

PS...Have spare PPE if needed.

Professional-Diving-set-Scuba-Diving-Mask-Snorkels-Flippers-silicone-diving-mask-dry-breathing-tube-diving-fins.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Just made my daily phone call to mum's nursing home. Mum is OK at the moment but I was informed that,despite all their precautions, they have 3 confirmed cases of Covid 19! Something I have been dreading and there is nothing I can do about it! Words can't describe how I'm feeling right now but I just wanted to share it with you all. Please stay home and safe everyone.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just made my daily phone call to mum's nursing home. Mum is OK at the moment but I was informed that,despite all their precautions, they have 3 confirmed cases of Covid 19! Something I have been dreading and there is nothing I can do about it! Words can't describe how I'm feeling right now but I just wanted to share it with you all. Please stay home and safe everyone.
Oh no @dogslife
I wish I could say something helpful.
All I can say is, I feel deeply for you, and your Mum.
I am glad you shared. That is what we are here for.
Hugs for you and hugs for your Mum x

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T
Oh no @dogslife
I wish I could say something helpful.
All I can say is, I feel deeply for you, and your Mum.
I am glad you shared. That is what we are here for.
Hugs for you and hugs for your Mum x
Thank you@gennepher. I need a few hugs right now. I am so worried.:(

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry and lots of empathy, very stressful situation for us with family in care, I trust the home will manage the isolation of all residents and your mom will steer clear of this terrible virus. Hugs from Mrs MC and I.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A visit to 'Ila's bungalow took longer and demanded more of our time than expected so today's watercolour is a quick sketch for an idea of evening light on trees. A4 sketchbook and a very quick 15 minutes, will try and incorporate a completed painting of this for my Last Light of day series......

IMG_3108.JPG

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

4.5 this morning

went out for a quick walk yesterday evening and came back chilled and soggy, I expected the soggy and lagged myself accordingly ;) didn't expect it to be so cold with such a high wind chill factor though :sorry:

Temperature was down to 3'C last night and it's only 5'C this morning and we've had snow showers on and off today. The snow's not lying at our level but it's cold even in the sun peeping through between showers. It's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow thankfully :)

Over to mum's taking Sunday dinner today, also to give the bathroom a clean and stock up her log pile for the woodburner. Mr gee trimmed some of the wool off Katy's feet whilst we were there, not an easy task, Katy's middle name should be 'wriggle' :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@dogslife - hugs for you and your Mum, what a terrible extra stress for you both.
@gennepher - your pastels are a joy every day :)
@Muddy Cyclist - a lovely sketch for inspiration, the colour in the foreground glows :joyful:

Art catch up for today - I have been thinking about broadening my painting experience by either copying or making work inspired by other artists' paintings/styles/ pallet. I understand that this is not an uncommon way to practice.
I will post the first of these today, I don't know how other people feel about my posting these here and will accept guidance or comment gladly. It is my intention to make clear with each study whether it is a copy or 'inspired by' and who the original artist is.

no 1 - just a quick pic. I read somewhere about adding a hint of 'figures' in the distance to help with scale. I will get around to painting a 'real' figure eventually but it seems to work. Took about 25 mins.
upload_2020-5-10_18-2-16.jpeg

no 2 - This is the first of my 'inspired by' paintings - this one is inspired by buildings in the paintings of Dominique C. Boco - and I wanted to have a bash at a darker sky.
upload_2020-5-10_18-8-54.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

4.5 this morning

went out for a quick walk yesterday evening and came back chilled and soggy, I expected the soggy and lagged myself accordingly ;) didn't expect it to be so cold with such a high wind chill factor though :sorry:

Temperature was down to 3'C last night and it's only 5'C this morning and we've had snow showers on and off today. The snow's not lying at our level but it's cold even in the sun peeping through between showers. It's supposed to warm up a bit tomorrow thankfully :)

Over to mum's taking Sunday dinner today, also to give the bathroom a clean and stock up her log pile for the woodburner. Mr gee trimmed some of the wool off Katy's feet whilst we were there, not an easy task, Katy's middle name should be 'wriggle' :hilarious:

@dogslife - hugs for you and your Mum, what a terrible extra stress for you both.
@Muddy Cyclist - a lovely sketch for inspiration, the colour in the foreground glows :joyful:

Art catch up for today - I have been thinking about broadening my painting experience by either copying or making work inspired by other artists' paintings/styles/ pallet. I understand that this is not an uncommon way to practice.
I will post the first of these today, I don't know how other people feel about my posting these here and will accept guidance or comment gladly. It is my intention to make clear with each study whether it is a copy or 'inspired by' and who the original artist is.

no 1 - just a quick pic. I read somewhere about adding a hint of 'figures' in the distance to help with scale. I will get around to painting a 'real' figure eventually but it seems to work. Took about 25 mins.
View attachment 41228

no 2 - This is the first of my 'inspired by' paintings - this one is inspired by buildings in the paintings of Dominique C. Boco - and I wanted to have a bash at a darker sky.
View attachment 41229
Personally, I'm pro @geefull and pro @geefull's artwork. All the inspired by gives me something non sporting to investigate. Other people''s mileage may vary considerably.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen. Late on parade here, but up and about doing stuff starting at 7:20am this morning, perhaps being a trifle too active ( other pudding available ).

A young 5.6 this morning not bad you might think considering my medication and manageable so I thought. 2 hours later just after I had finished my breakfast, I started sweating, shaking and feeling not to good. A blood sugar test revealed a 3.1, big time whoops and a record low reading for me. That wiped out the rest of my morning. This reiterates the vagueries of the complicated simultaneous equation that is diabetic control.

Enough of my small problems compered to the issues facing some of our fellow posters, I wish them all well and a swift return to their normal if they so desire.
Have a great afternoon all and remember a smile costs nothing and will usually scare the living daylights out of a stranger even from 2 meters away.
Hope your okay alf and numbers have settled for you those lows are horrible take care x

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A visit to 'Ila's bungalow took longer and demanded more of our time than expected so today's watercolour is a quick sketch for an idea of evening light on trees. A4 sketchbook and a very quick 15 minutes, will try and incorporate a completed painting of this for my Last Light of day series......

View attachment 41230
Quite abstract looking.
I like this @Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite abstract looking.
I like this @Muddy Cyclist
Thank you, I have to some how get between abstract and impressionistic in the actual painting, will I manage it, we shall see. Enjoyed your brooding sky again and light.

@geefull thanks for your comments on my latest sketch. Your figures worked with perspective and in the dark sky I thought the foreground rock was a brilliant aid to depth. In my opinion copying styles is perfectably acceptable, their is very little 'Original Art' we are always influenced by something we have seen, heard, read or liked it's just a matter of adding something of you, keep it up, copy away.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just listened to Boris Johnson and cannot write what I think as my post will (quite rightly) be moderated. I just don't think this will go well at all.

Reactions: karen8967

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

4.5 this morning

View attachment 41228

View attachment 41229

Thanks for the compliment @geefull

Those figures giving distance along the sand works very well. They are very effective.

I had to google the name Dominique C. Boco, You have caught the essence of those cottages. well.

In Chinese painting, we were taught to copy, copy, copy from old Chinese Masters in order to learn how to paint. My Chinese teacher gave us photocopies of these Old Masters every week for us to work from. Being the only English person in the group I said surely that wasn’t right (30 years ago), but she insisted how else could you learn?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just listened to Boris Johnson and cannot write what I think as my post will (quite rightly) be moderated. I just don't think this will go well at all.
has boris just volunteered the english as guniea pigs.

Starmer nailed it.
our glorious leader has set up so many to return to work tomorrow.

..................12 hours notice...:wideyed:

so for me..

how will they get there.
will parking be enforced ?
will trains be safe distanced.
if you can't get to work or are fearful.
will you be paid or classed as dismissing yourself.

Germany & S Korea have had rises since unlock,
so it's not all clear cut.

yet another awful, ill thought out, confused briefing that
says little but raises untold questions.

And all given by our New president.

Parliament, is where this should have been announced, then discussed and dismissed for the nonsense it is

Last edited:
Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
So sorry and lots of empathy, very stressful situation for us with family in care, I trust the home will manage the isolation of all residents and your mom will steer clear of this terrible virus. Hugs from Mrs MC and I.
Thanks so much @Muddy Cyclist. How are things with you?

Reactions: HarryBeau

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak
Yes - I absolutely agree. Boris has definitely just volunteered the English as guinea pigs . A lot of people will think that lockdown is over as the advice is so ambiguous.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Can't do anything to help or give a real hug but can give a virtual hug
Thank you@ianpspurs. Hugs, whether real or virtual, are very welcome atm. :)