What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post fbs. It was 5.2.

This morning I heard a terrific clatter. Mr K was bringing the bedding downstairs to wash and didn't notice Archie lying by the bottom step and tripped over him and fell against the radiator.

I made the mistake of rushing into the hall and asking 'is Archie alright'. Mr K found that highly amusing and has told everyone he has spoken to today. Daughter thought it was really funny.

Luckily both Mr K and Archie were OK.

I overdid the admin yesterday and don't feel like working today so have relaxed, read the papers and have done two lovely dog walks.

Am waiting for Boris's briefing at 5pm to find out if I have to close classes again. If so I will go straight onto teaching on Zoom. A bit scary but hopefully it will go well

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.9 this morning

today started off nice but cold and has ended up very, very windy but warmer :hilarious:
I hope any 'weans' wearing a cloak as part of their guising costumes this evening are well tethered :D

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@Muddy Cyclist - love the pumpkin, a splendid offering and very seasonal :joyful:

@dunelm - hugs for your ankle, hope it improves quickly :)
two great pictures today, the landscape is very good as usual but I love your leaves, so fluid and freely painted and such harmonious colour :)

@lindisfel - glad your daughter is progressing so strongly :)

@SilverK - welcome to the thread and thank you for bringing along a selection of your fine paintings, I look forward to more :joyful:

@gennepher - that's lots of fun, a lovely range of colours in the sky and clever use of silhouettes :joyful:

art bit -
just a quick ink and wash drawing for today :)
upload_2020-10-31_17-50-21.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Working on my Autumn Vista paintings, sunshine this afternoon tempted us to go out and walk, met daughter and youngest grandaughter and went out kicking Beech leaves as the wind is blowing them around, great afternoon. So painting not finished, this is Brocton Fields which is heathland high on Cannock Chase lined with Silvyer Birch. Again negative painting as sky had to be painted after the autumn trees, watercolour so light colours first, dark last unlike oils and Acrylics... will finish Sunday.
IMG_4014.JPG

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Don't think I posted my fbg yesterday it was 5.2 today it was 6.2 I wish it would settle down,

Again all the art work I have seen on the thread is incredible I really am going to have a go, soon as my arm has healed, waking up at three in the morning with blood running down your arm can be a bit of a jolt not to say painful still not sure how I manage to injure myself asleep in bed but I think I may of caught my arm on some ones finger nails and with my skin a bit on the fragile side that can do more damage than you may credit.

Still it's healing up now I'm thinking might need to get a chain mail night shirt.

SilverK

Working on my Autumn Vista paintings, sunshine this afternoon tempted us to go out and walk, met daughter and youngest grandaughter and went out kicking Beech leaves as the wind is blowing them around, great afternoon. So painting not finished, this is Brocton Fields which is heathland high on Cannock Chase lined with Silvyer Birch. Again negative painting as sky had to be painted after the autumn trees, watercolour so light colours first, dark last unlike oils and Acrylics... will finish Sunday.
View attachment 45048

Really looking forward to seeing this finished. I love the depth of colour in the sky! I always found it hard to get the vibrancy I was looking for in watercolour but you don’t have that problem at all!
As it stands it’s perfect viewing for Halloween! It looks like two opposing armies, - I’m sure I can see skeletons on the right! (No alcohol so it must be sugar withdrawal!)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really looking forward to seeing this finished. I love the depth of colour in the sky! I always found it hard to get the vibrancy I was looking for in watercolour but you don’t have that problem at all!
As it stands it’s perfect viewing for Halloween! It looks like two opposing armies, - I’m sure I can see skeletons on the right! (No alcohol so it must be sugar withdrawal!)
Thank you I always feel I use watercolour like oils and don't do them justice. Oils are my media of choice but I find these days I get in such a mess with them, hands covered, floor covered, don't know why.

I have been asked to paint some large Mountain Bike scenes for a local Cafe who are trying to survive Covid, agreed to do them for publicity only, I may try oils or Acrylics.

SilverK

I must admit to never having used oils . I’m allergic to terps. I know you can use other thinners but I haven’t gone there yet. I like acrylics. Sometimes I go very thick, but that’s mostly for underlying texture. The rest of the time I use them more like water colours. My palette is a Tupperware box and I keep spraying it with water to stop the paint drying out. - Often I paint with the “dirty” water that gathers in between the islands of paint. I use the back of my hand to test colours too so getting it everywhere is the way to go! It’s not unusual for me to be painting in the morning then to go teach with paint in my hair or up the back of my arm. My pupils think it’s hysterical. - Oh, and if the dog sticks his head under the easel he often gets smoothed with a paint brush. - Some of the green water colours don’t wash off golden retrievers faces as well as you’d think!

SilverK

Thank you I always feel I use watercolour like oils and don't do them justice. Oils are my media of choice but I find these days I get in such a mess with them, hands covered, floor covered, don't know why.

I have been asked to paint some large Mountain Bike scenes for a local Cafe who are trying to survive Covid, agreed to do them for publicity only, I may try oils or Acrylics.

Acrylics are the way forward - you’ll be waiting years for that much oil paint to dry! -And there’s the plus of acrylics being “wipe clean”!

lindisfel

Expert
We are fortunate, Ian. As meat eaters we have an excellent local butcher who is also a farmer, he also buys meat in at the local stock auctions.
I would not eat supermarket meat.
We have to go to Silloth to get 'fresh' fish although we do eat some farmed salmon from Lidl.
Meat in the local town is reasonably priced.
In the pandemic we just rang up for stuff and they delivered the same day and we kept filling our freezers and paid over the phone.
Living up here for so many years just fits our lives like a comfortable old glove.

Helen was bright enough on Zoom but one could tell.
Its horrid disease, another GP mentioned how someone she had seen was in their twenties and very poorly, so it can affect most ages badly.

She reckoned she would try teaching in 2 hour sessions each day for a few days next week. It no good me telling her take her time, it doesn't work that way round now.:)
D.

Excellent news about your daughter, Derek. The supermarket and choice issue is interesting. Pre COVID, probably like many others? we would cherry pick items from several supermarkets, local markets, farm shops and butchers. Now we rely on deliveries and Waitrose have prioritised Julie. They even phoned yesterday to check that we were happy with everything from the last delivery. In the lull we did bulk buy cocoa from Aldi but the nearest Aldi (Brandon) was swarming with clientele frighteningly lawless re COVID protocols.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 45048
I love that stormy sky and those beautiful autumn trees against it @Muddy Cyclist
Your watercolours take a lot of planning...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love that stormy sky and those beautiful autumn trees against it @Muddy Cyclist
Your watercolours take a lot of planning...
Thank you. Not sure about the planning, Autumn paintings have all started with a yellow wash then put some paint on, spray, dab, repeat and see how it flows. This one was a little more ordered as I had to consider those Silver Birch against a dark sky thus painting negative or inside out as Mrs MC calls it.