What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @dunelm
This was my worst prolonged experience yet for mask wearing and not being able to understand/lipread people.
Will there be an even worse one than this? Most probably in this day and age and Covid climate.
I never give up. But yesterday my body said 'SLEEP', and wouldn't let me go. It is probably the only restorative tool we have.
Oh, I am going out in the garden now for the day. People are not on my agenda for today...I will just watch the birds...
Take care
Have a good day
From me and >^..^<
@gennepher yes - sleep and then relaxing in the garden watching the birds sounds like the perfect restorative combination.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love salmon with crispy skin and avocado. Friday is always smoked mackerel and avocado day for me. Then salmon and avocado another day.
I always knew you were a lady of impeccable discernment. Mr K won the lottery of life when you finally agreed. Yes, I know, do not covet Mr K's wife ;) The workhorse of my menu is mackerel and avocado salad - often 5-6 days a week. My mackerel comes from tins, in EVO, I can't/won't risk bones - drive me insanely angry for days.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from blue skies and wispy clouds here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of leftover lottery and lets add some pasata and chili peppers came in at 6.1 this am.

A mixed day yesterday - two trips into town and a visit to a carpet shop - get some steps in. Big black clouds on our way home from second trip but got in the door before the deluge - then some sun then some hailstones - a Heston type tasting menu of weather samples. The last two doors are due for delivery this afternoon and the carpet fitting bloke is also coming with his tape measure. All this just for a hall, staircase and landing. Still, not much furniture to move about - just two shoe shranks and a mirror.

Another 6 x 4 painting this morning - more of a 6 x 5 on this paper sample - semi sized rice paper with colour added to front this time. Hope we are all well, the girl in the bubble has just arrived but there is always time for koffy.

View attachment 49355
I do like your painting.

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. My Swipey felt like dressing up as 4.7 today - meh. @gennepher winner for the two pieces of art expressing your inner turmoil at yesterday - man's inhumanity to man yesterday and that's what friends are for today. I hope today restores some equilibrium. @Muddy Cyclist you must be earning huge brownie points today. That cauli/cheese/bacon combo sounds just dandy - would I/should I dare to live just a little and give it a go? You little tempter you. @karen8967 a great run of fbgs from you. Great news on your Sister's #2 jab and imminent return to deal with all that admin @Krystyna23040. @lindisfel hope the old mower does a good job and the new one speeds its way to you. I must have missed a few, sorry. Dressing up day at/in Westminster for those who give a ..... I'm too busy trying to figure out how the hell to make LC work for me. The theory is good, the taste largely execrable The answer definitely involves salad most days , Assam tea, salmon with crispy skin and avocado every Friday - that's a start. Non purine low fat high protein? Pip Pip old toots
Thank you very much @ianpspurs

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Horrendous day.
Hugs.

Is there no one to write to .

I'm thinking head of dept or maybe PALS, at hospitals

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

Perhaps it's a one off or maybe others are having same difficulties but too cowed by the experience to complain ?

Hard to think such a dept could be so blasé or ignorant of the issues masks cause to people like yourself.

How infuriating.

A polite enquiry as to ways they could and SHOULD improve the service for the PAYING customer ..( it's NOT free, if you contribute for your life time, imho.)

Should think themselves lucky you didn't go POSTAL with all the stress...:wideyed:;)

Best wishes for a peaceful day :)
Alas we do not have PALS in Wales.
That is just an England thing @jjraak
However, we do have an advocacy service, which I have used on numerous occasions...
Others do have same/similar difficulties, and many don’t want to complain in case they rock the boat. Which is where I come in and tread where angels fear to tread. But unfortunately, once the advocate has been (sorted stuff) and gone, things relapse to where they were before.This has happened many times.
Thank you for your helpful post @jjraak
I waited until I got home before I had my meltdown....

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may not lurve LC food but food for thought is a much more tasty dish. I have lived in London but a generation ago and only briefly visited The North to play cricket or for a wedding. East Anglia seems to suffer from the pull of London, Cambridge and Norwich. Small market towns declining with only charity shops, Costa/Starbucks and empty shops that were once family businesses. Interesting times - Pret opening eateries in Tesco! - won't be in small, market towns. Ultimately, neither Johnners nor the "will of the people" will decide what post COVID looks like. Big business, mainly Uncle Sam's, and the law of unintended consequences will do that thank you IMHO.
Edit: For London, read anywhere with a Russel Group Uni.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant little sketch, and those tiny people @dunelm
I like it very much.
I get lots of ideas from you which I am storing in the prospective painting file in my head for when I finally get round to painting postcards for my postcrossing...
Thank you @gennepher - yes, I think these type of paintings would sit well on postcards

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I may not lurve LC food but food for thought is a much more tasty dish. I have lived in London but a generation ago and only briefly visited The Norther to play cricket. East Anglia seems to suffer from the pull of London, Cambridge and Norwich. Small market towns declining with only charity shops, Costa/Starbucks and empty shops that were once family businesses. Interesting times - Pret opening eateries in Tesco! - won't be in small, market towns. Ultimately, neither Johnners nor the "will of the people" will decide what post COVID looks like. Big business, mainly Uncle Sam's, and the law of unintended consequences will do that thank you IMHO.
We can’t be having ready to eat posh sandwich outlets oop north upsetting Greggs sausage rolls and pies - whatever next, low carb food?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We can’t be having ready to eat posh sandwich outlets oop north upsetting Greggs sausage rolls and pies - whatever next, low carb food?
You'll be gentrified like it or not. Johnners needs the dosh in brown envelopes. The first one will be in that well known Northern town, Kensington;)

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher that was a really horrible day. I am shocked at how incompetent these people were. Thank goodness for your lovely friend who was compassionate, caring and knowledgeable - whereas the people you dealt with at the hospital were none of those things.

Love your painting. It really conveys the emotions of yesterday..
Thank you very much @Krystyna23040

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 8.9

This is stress from yesterday I assume. And I didn't do comfort eating.
I lost the will to live yesterday, and was hanging by a thread.
This was to do with several issues:
First was to try and get in this particular hospital. Reception wouldn't let you in unless you changed your mask to their blue medical mask which they gave you. I had difficulties because reception wouldn't lower her mask to allow me to lipread. I had my sunflower lanyard on which says hidden disabilities and badge to say I was deaf and need to lipread. I explained but she wouldn't listen. I explained I couldn't wear the hospital medical mask she was handing me because it had ear loops, and because of my speech processor held on with magnet to my head, that ear loops knocks it off my ear. She wouldn't listen, wouldn't let me in. By this time I am not breathing well because of my asthma and having to talk a lot. Finally I took my own mask off and had to use my inhaler. I told her I am medically exempt from wearing a mask, and because of this altercation, and stress she caused, I was now unable to wear even my mask.

I had asked her for reasonable adjustments, and she wasn't making any.

Finally she pointed to the sanitiser and motioned me to use it, then let me in. I have never not worn my mask yet in any situation. I am medically exempt, but I have always chosen to wear my mask.

So, this caused me stress.

Then things went worse. The person I had to see wore a mask. This was in audiology where they deal with deaf people. There is no provision for deaf people at all. Not even a clear shield mask. So, this was a complicated appointment. And it ended up being a lengthy visit. It was to alter some settings within my tablet to make it compatible with my speech processor. The remote control for my speech processor is within my tablet and this controls loudness/softness of sound, treble, and more stuff needed to run the processor. But she said the settings were not there in my tablet for what she was going to show me, and directed me to stuff online which cost money to buy/subscribe to, and then a hefty monthly/yearly fee to myself to keep it running. I was so drained with the effort of trying to follow all this, that when I got home I went to bed and went to sleep, and each time I woke up, my body pulled me under into sleep again.

I fully understood the words 'losing the will to live', because I was so drained there was almost nothing left at all in me. And I was like this all evening, sleeping and waking, sleeping and waking.

I have overslept this morning for me. I do not like waking this late at 6:30 am, I have missed watching the dawn sky and the sun getting up. And all those changes of early morning light, which raises my spirits for the day.

There was an email waiting for me this morning from a friend who I told a lengthier version of this in more detail. She had been researching, and sent me links where these settings were in my tablet. It was a simple matter of following these instructions and I now have what I did not get yesterday. And I now have my tablet set up for this compatibility, and I do not need these exorbitant apps/online subscriptions, which all needed a working online connection to run them. So my friend found the settings within the tablet and it costs nothing, and it does not need a working online internet connection to use them, and does exactly the same job as the expensive online ones.

It took me just a short while experimenting with the settings and different voices within the tablet settings (I did have to download some stuff to get it up and running, these settings need to be set up and linked in to my remote on the tablet and connected to my speech processor, but once it is on the tablet it is there, and not dependent on an internet connection to work), and a lot more stuff.

So I am grateful for this friend. She sent me other links too which I will check out in a bit.

So here is my painting this morning, which is about yesterday, and my feelings and emotions, but this painting is after a night's sleep, so probably it is different from the emotions in the painting yesterday.

View attachment 49354
Hugs and winners. art from you soul always the best art. I hope today is kinder to you.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from blue skies and wispy clouds here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of leftover lottery and lets add some pasata and chili peppers came in at 6.1 this am.

A mixed day yesterday - two trips into town and a visit to a carpet shop - get some steps in. Big black clouds on our way home from second trip but got in the door before the deluge - then some sun then some hailstones - a Heston type tasting menu of weather samples. The last two doors are due for delivery this afternoon and the carpet fitting bloke is also coming with his tape measure. All this just for a hall, staircase and landing. Still, not much furniture to move about - just two shoe shranks and a mirror.

Another 6 x 4 painting this morning - more of a 6 x 5 on this paper sample - semi sized rice paper with colour added to front this time. Hope we are all well, the girl in the bubble has just arrived but there is always time for koffy.

View attachment 49355
A smashing mountain scene. Scale with lots of depth, colour is good and works well added to front.

Enjoy the day with the girl in the bubble.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nor here in the midlands, home of Faggots and Peas and also now the West Midland version of Indian Curry.
You will be levelled up whatever you say. The will of the "wrong kind of people" for the Blue Team won't get in the way of The Eton Rifles. Faggots will be Gayettes de Provence and mushy? peas will become Guacamole (à la Mandelson - allegedly.)

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A smashing mountain scene. Scale with lots of depth, colour is good and works well added to front.

Enjoy the day with the girl in the bubble.
Thank you @Muddy Cyclist - girl in the bubble has already spoken to several water birds, pigeons and taken a very slow toddle down the promenade, holding on to Mrs Miggins with only one hand - progress at it’s finest.

lindisfel

Expert
I always knew you were a lady of impeccable discernment. Mr K won the lottery of life when you finally agreed. Yes, I know, do not covet Mr K's wife ;) The workhorse of my menu is mackerel and avocado salad - often 5-6 days a week. My mackerel comes from tins, in EVO, I can't/won't risk bones - drive me insanely angry for days.
Hi Ian,
I used to like fresh mackerel. If you get them fresh, de-boning seems to work ok.

They used to be a cheap fish to eat and full of the right kind of oil.
D.