What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

4.8 today

a pleasant afternoon today after a morning af rain and quite a few visitors in the village walking on the beach, mr gee and I went for a walk round the village after we got back from mum's and there were quite a few people sitting outside the pub with their drinks enjoying the sun. Felt really odd, we're not used to seeing that any more ;)

Lunch today was high meat content sausage casserole with a tiramisu taste-alike for pudd. made with my lc chocolate sponge, rum, coffee, double cream, yoghurt, cream cheese topped with lashings of dark chocolate :D

Hope your day is treating you well :)

@gennepher - interesting experiment with some nice colour contrasts, the pre-version is lovely :)
if you want to add your tree perhaps using a layer with lowered opacity to make it a little shadowy might be interesting.

@dunelm - homemade ice-cream is great :D I really like the gentle effect of your painting today, very pleasing :)

@jjraak - looks like an interesting day, nice pics. :)

@lindisfel - sounds like it was a good morning, it's so nice to be able to take some steps out again (even if still with some limits) :)

art bit -
this is painted on a piece of the elderly Bockingford watercolour pad, (well, middle-aged anyway, it's about 50 ;) ) as you can probably see the paper has discoloured more towards one edge than the other and the sizing seems to have degraded, it's rather more blotting paper like than I'm used to, it handled quite well all things considered and I'm looking forward to trying the new version :)

View attachment 49337
Thanks @Krystyna23040
Your idea of a layer with a lower opacity would work.

Your painting is very attractive.
50 year old paper could be considered an antique...
The painting does have an aged look to it which is attractive...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a sun burning away the overcast start to a day of hope in the weather dept here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of Vietnamese Duck in spiced orange sauce followed by home made ice cream with berries came in at 5.8 this am - probably the orange juice but we did enjoy it.

Mrs Miggins is well on with the hallway re-vamp, we are even having new, coordinated lamp shades. Meantime, down on the floor and taking a peek inside the socket - which by the way seems to be made of bakelite and fitted sometime in the 60’s - the wiring showed that it was a spur and the cable itself, although quite serviceable, was probably not going to be happy being fiddled about with. Groan, creak, left it be.

Mrs Miggins has asked for some 6 x 4 pictures using some of the paper samples that I have. So, here is the first one, on semi-sized rice paper. Hope everyone has a a marvelous Monday. Koffy in the pot.

View attachment 49338
That is a brilliant detailed 6x4 painting
I like it @dunelm

Reactions: jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

I had a hospital appointment this morning.
I am wiped out, totally knackered.
Slept this afternoon.
This is my 'I don't want to do a blinking painting' effort.
I have a thundering headache and couldn't care less about anything...

I will get back to my normal tomorrow.....

7C1DEBEA-A0C0-4194-B391-D695EE630F7D.jpeg

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

Slept this afternoon.

View attachment 49343
But the 'blinking painting' worked superbly. Hugs for the headache and hospital stuff.

lindisfel

Expert
5.8 at 0705
Blue skies warm breezes and grass that needs cutting.
Bought a new mower yesterday but not delivered yet so will have to use old one.
But with a rusty deck and my patching, it doesnt owe me much.
D.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.7 for me today. A meal of Cauliflower,cheese and Bacon baked and served with greens may have had some bearing on the numbers.

I'm on parcel delivery duty waiting for the Usless Postal Service U.P.S to return Mrs MCs Soprano Recorder from up North. Learnt from experience if you are not in they take it to one of their undelivered parcel drop offs. Mrs MC says she can't wait cuz she's arranged to meat a friend at Shugbourgh Hall for a walk. Scuppered my Muddy Cycle ride.

Keep safe be kind to the day.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Hectic day yesterday but did just have time to speed read Friday 's 'I'. Sister had 2nd vaccine yesterday so only 2 more weeks before she feels safe to come back to help with the admin.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 8.9

This is stress from yesterday I assume. And I didn't do comfort eating.
I lost the will to live yesterday, and was hanging by a thread.
This was to do with several issues:
First was to try and get in this particular hospital. Reception wouldn't let you in unless you changed your mask to their blue medical mask which they gave you. I had difficulties because reception wouldn't lower her mask to allow me to lipread. I had my sunflower lanyard on which says hidden disabilities and badge to say I was deaf and need to lipread. I explained but she wouldn't listen. I explained I couldn't wear the hospital medical mask she was handing me because it had ear loops, and because of my speech processor held on with magnet to my head, that ear loops knocks it off my ear. She wouldn't listen, wouldn't let me in. By this time I am not breathing well because of my asthma and having to talk a lot. Finally I took my own mask off and had to use my inhaler. I told her I am medically exempt from wearing a mask, and because of this altercation, and stress she caused, I was now unable to wear even my mask.

I had asked her for reasonable adjustments, and she wasn't making any.

Finally she pointed to the sanitiser and motioned me to use it, then let me in. I have never not worn my mask yet in any situation. I am medically exempt, but I have always chosen to wear my mask.

So, this caused me stress.

Then things went worse. The person I had to see wore a mask. This was in audiology where they deal with deaf people. There is no provision for deaf people at all. Not even a clear shield mask. So, this was a complicated appointment. And it ended up being a lengthy visit. It was to alter some settings within my tablet to make it compatible with my speech processor. The remote control for my speech processor is within my tablet and this controls loudness/softness of sound, treble, and more stuff needed to run the processor. But she said the settings were not there in my tablet for what she was going to show me, and directed me to stuff online which cost money to buy/subscribe to, and then a hefty monthly/yearly fee to myself to keep it running. I was so drained with the effort of trying to follow all this, that when I got home I went to bed and went to sleep, and each time I woke up, my body pulled me under into sleep again.

I fully understood the words 'losing the will to live', because I was so drained there was almost nothing left at all in me. And I was like this all evening, sleeping and waking, sleeping and waking.

I have overslept this morning for me. I do not like waking this late at 6:30 am, I have missed watching the dawn sky and the sun getting up. And all those changes of early morning light, which raises my spirits for the day.

There was an email waiting for me this morning from a friend who I told a lengthier version of this in more detail. She had been researching, and sent me links where these settings were in my tablet. It was a simple matter of following these instructions and I now have what I did not get yesterday. And I now have my tablet set up for this compatibility, and I do not need these exorbitant apps/online subscriptions, which all needed a working online connection to run them. So my friend found the settings within the tablet and it costs nothing, and it does not need a working online internet connection to use them, and does exactly the same job as the expensive online ones.

It took me just a short while experimenting with the settings and different voices within the tablet settings (I did have to download some stuff to get it up and running, these settings need to be set up and linked in to my remote on the tablet and connected to my speech processor, but once it is on the tablet it is there, and not dependent on an internet connection to work), and a lot more stuff.

So I am grateful for this friend. She sent me other links too which I will check out in a bit.

So here is my painting this morning, which is about yesterday, and my feelings and emotions, but this painting is after a night's sleep, so probably it is different from the emotions in the painting yesterday.

2CEF0931-A09E-4064-8A20-1A134E6B19CC.jpeg

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

Slept this afternoon.

View attachment 49343
Lovely sunburst flower - hope you slept well

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 8.9

First was to try and get in this particular hospital. Reception wouldn't let you in unless you changed your mask to their blue medical mask which they gave you. I had difficulties because reception wouldn't lower her mask to allow me to lipread. I had my sunflower lanyard on which says hidden disabilities and badge to say I was deaf and need to lipread. I explained but she wouldn't listen. I explained I couldn't wear the hospital medical mask she was handing me because it had ear loops, and because of my cochlear implant and speech processor held on with magnet to my head, that ear loops knocks it off my ear. She wouldn't listen, wouldn't let me in. By this time I am not breathing well because of my asthma and having to talk a lot. Finally I took my own mask off and had to use my inhaler. I told her I am medically exempt from wearing a mask, and because of this altercation, and stress she caused, I was now unable to wear even my mask.

Finally she pointed to the sanitiser and motioned me to use it, then let me in. I have never not worn my mask yet in any situation. I am medically exempt, but I have always chosen to wear my mask.

Then things went worse. The person I had to see wore a mask. This was in audiology where they deal with deaf people. There is no provision for deaf people at all. Not even a clear shield mask. So, this was a complicated appointment. And she was supposed to have prepared some stuff for my visit in advance, but she hadn't. And it ended up being a lengthy protracted visit. It was to alter some settings within my iPad to make it compatible with my cochlear speech processor. The remote control for my cochlear speech processor is within my iPad, and this controls loudness/softness of sound, treble and bass, sensitivity, different programs and more. But she insisted the settings were not there in my iPad, and directed me to stuff online which cost money to buy/subscribe to, and then a hefty monthly/yearly fee to myself to keep it running. I was so drained with the effort of trying to follow all this, that when I got home I went to bed and went to sleep, and each time I woke up, my body pulled me under into sleep again.

I fully understood the words 'losing the will to live', because I was so drained there was almost nothing left at all in me. And I was like this all evening, sleeping and waking, sleeping and waking.

I have overslept this morning for me. I do not like waking this late at 6:30 am, I have missed watching the dawn sky and the sun getting up. And all those changes of early morning light, which raises my spirits for the day.

There was an email waiting for me this morning from a friend who I told a lengthier version of this in more detail. She had been researching, and sent me links where these settings were in my iPad. It was a simple matter of following these instructions and I now have what the the trained medical professional could not do yesterday. And I now have my iPad set up for this compatibility that was needed to aid stuff for my cochlear speech processor, and I do not need these exorbitant apps and online subscriptions, which all needed a working online connection to run them. So my friend found the settings within the iPad and it costs nothing, and it does not need a working online internet connection to use them, and does exactly the same job as the expensive online ones.

It took me just a short while experimenting with the settings and different voices within the iPad settings (I did have to download some stuff to get it up and running, these settings need to be set up, but once it is on the iPad it is there, and not dependent on an internet connection to work), and a lot more stuff.

So I am grateful for this friend. She sent me other links too which I will check out in a bit.

So here is my painting this morning, which is about yesterday, and my feelings and emotions, but this painting is after a night's sleep, so probably it is different from the emotions in the painting yesterday.

View attachment 49354
A big hug for such a terrible experience. I would have thought that hospitals and especially audiology departments would have thought all this mask thing through and had clear ones or visors - but no.
I love your feelings art - All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely player - but fly me out of this one. Hope today is a better one for you.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. My Swipey felt like dressing up as 4.7 today - meh. @gennepher winner for the two pieces of art expressing your inner turmoil at yesterday - man's inhumanity to man yesterday and that's what friends are for today. I hope today restores some equilibrium. @Muddy Cyclist you must be earning huge brownie points today. That cauli/cheese/bacon combo sounds just dandy - would I/should I dare to live just a little and give it a go? You little tempter you. @karen8967 a great run of fbgs from you. Great news on your Sister's #2 jab and imminent return to deal with all that admin @Krystyna23040. @lindisfel hope the old mower does a good job and the new one speeds its way to you. I must have missed a few, sorry. Dressing up day at/in Westminster for those who give a ..... I'm too busy trying to figure out how the hell to make LC work for me. The theory is good, the taste largely execrable The answer definitely involves salad most days , Assam tea, salmon with crispy skin and avocado every Friday - that's a start. Non purine low fat high protein? Pip Pip old toots

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A big hug for such a terrible experience. I would have thought that hospitals and especially audiology departments would have thought all this mask thing through and had clear ones or visors - but no.
I love your feelings art - All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely player - but fly me out of this one. Hope today is a better one for you.
Thank you @dunelm
This was my worst prolonged experience yet for mask wearing and not being able to understand/lipread people.
Will there be an even worse one than this? Most probably in this day and age and Covid climate.
I never give up. But yesterday my body said 'SLEEP', and wouldn't let me go. It is probably the only restorative tool we have.
Oh, I am going out in the garden now for the day. People are not on my agenda for today...I will just watch the birds...
Take care
Have a good day
From me and >^..^<

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning everyone from blue skies and wispy clouds here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of leftover lottery and lets add some pasata and chili peppers came in at 6.1 this am.

A mixed day yesterday - two trips into town and a visit to a carpet shop - get some steps in. Big black clouds on our way home from second trip but got in the door before the deluge - then some sun then some hailstones - a Heston type tasting menu of weather samples. The last two doors are due for delivery this afternoon and the carpet fitting bloke is also coming with his tape measure. All this just for a hall, staircase and landing. Still, not much furniture to move about - just two shoe shranks and a mirror.

Another 6 x 4 painting this morning - more of a 6 x 5 on this paper sample - semi sized rice paper with colour added to front this time. Hope we are all well, the girl in the bubble has just arrived but there is always time for koffy.

upload_2021-5-11_8-31-14.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good morning everyone from blue skies and wispy clouds here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of leftover lottery and lets add some pasata and chili peppers came in at 6.1 this am.

A mixed day yesterday - two trips into town and a visit to a carpet shop - get some steps in. Big black clouds on our way home from second trip but got in the door before the deluge - then some sun then some hailstones - a Heston type tasting menu of weather samples. The last two doors are due for delivery this afternoon and the carpet fitting bloke is also coming with his tape measure. All this just for a hall, staircase and landing. Still, not much furniture to move about - just two shoe shranks and a mirror.

Another 6 x 4 painting this morning - more of a 6 x 5 on this paper sample - semi sized rice paper with colour added to front this time. Hope we are all well, the girl in the bubble has just arrived but there is always time for koffy.

View attachment 49355
Brilliant little sketch, and those tiny people @dunelm
I like it very much.
I get lots of ideas from you which I am storing in the prospective painting file in my head for when I finally get round to painting postcards for my postcrossing...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @dunelm
This was my worst prolonged experience yet for mask wearing and not being able to understand/lipread people.
Will there be an even worse one than this? Most probably in this day and age and Covid climate.
I never give up. But yesterday my body said 'SLEEP', and wouldn't let me go. It is probably the only restorative tool we have.
Oh, I am going out in the garden now for the day. People are not on my agenda for today...I will just watch the birds...
Take care
Have a good day
From me and >^..^<

Horrendous day.
Hugs.

Is there no one to write to .

I'm thinking head of dept or maybe PALS, at hospitals

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospitals/what-is-pals-patient-advice-and-liaison-service/

Perhaps it's a one off or maybe others are having same difficulties but too cowed by the experience to complain ?

Hard to think such a dept could be so blasé or ignorant of the issues masks cause to people like yourself.

How infuriating.

A polite enquiry as to ways they could and SHOULD improve the service for the PAYING customer ..( it's NOT free, if you contribute for your life time, imho.)

Should think themselves lucky you didn't go POSTAL with all the stress...:wideyed:;)

Best wishes for a peaceful day :)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 8.9

First was to try and get in this particular hospital. Reception wouldn't let you in unless you changed your mask to their blue medical mask which they gave you. I had difficulties because reception wouldn't lower her mask to allow me to lipread. I had my sunflower lanyard on which says hidden disabilities and badge to say I was deaf and need to lipread. I explained but she wouldn't listen. I explained I couldn't wear the hospital medical mask she was handing me because it had ear loops, and because of my cochlear implant and speech processor held on with magnet to my head, that ear loops knocks it off my ear. She wouldn't listen, wouldn't let me in. By this time I am not breathing well because of my asthma and having to talk a lot. Finally I took my own mask off and had to use my inhaler. I told her I am medically exempt from wearing a mask, and because of this altercation, and stress she caused, I was now unable to wear even my mask.

Then things went worse. The person I had to see wore a mask. This was in audiology where they deal with deaf people. There is no provision for deaf people at all. Not even a clear shield mask. So, this was a complicated appointment. And she was supposed to have prepared some stuff for my visit in advance, but she hadn't. And it ended up being a lengthy protracted visit. It was to alter some settings within my iPad to make it compatible with my cochlear speech processor. The remote control for my cochlear speech processor is within my iPad, and this controls loudness/softness of sound, treble and bass, sensitivity, different programs and more. But she insisted the settings were not there in my iPad, and directed me to stuff online which cost money to buy/subscribe to, and then a hefty monthly/yearly fee to myself to keep it running. I was so drained with the effort of trying to follow all this, that when I got home I went to bed and went to sleep, and each time I woke up, my body pulled me under into sleep again.

There was an email waiting for me this morning from a friend who I told a lengthier version of this in more detail. She had been researching, and sent me links where these settings were in my iPad. It was a simple matter of following these instructions and I now have what the the trained medical professional could not do yesterday. And I now have my iPad set up for this compatibility that was needed to aid stuff for my cochlear speech processor, and I do not need these exorbitant apps and online subscriptions, which all needed a working online connection to run them. So my friend found the settings within the iPad and it costs nothing, and it does not need a working online internet connection to use them, and does exactly the same job as the expensive online ones.

It took me just a short while experimenting with the settings and different voices within the iPad settings (I did have to download some stuff to get it up and running, these settings need to be set up and linked in to my remote on the iPad and connected to my cochlear speech processor, but once it is on the iPad it is there, and not dependent on an internet connection to work), and a lot more stuff.

View attachment 49354
@gennepher that was a really horrible day. I am shocked at how incompetent these people were. Thank goodness for your lovely friend who was compassionate, caring and knowledgeable - whereas the people you dealt with at the hospital were none of those things.

Love your painting. It really conveys the emotions of yesterday..