What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another morning in Bristol. Another hot day spent out and about with family. Firstly the Van Gogh Immersive Experience - well worth it - a wonderful couple of hours spent looking at the life and work of this troubled artist and some of it wearing those virtual reality headsets. Dinner out with my brother and managed to squeeze in a little time for some doodling. Hope it’s beginning to cool down where you are, perhaps you might get some rain. So, art bit. Not much but a bit of progress. We need to go down to breakfast and order some koffy.

View attachment 55932
Love the way this is developing @dunelm
Van Gogh Immersive Experience sounds brill.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone on another sunny Suffolk summer's day. No known fbg here but I probably should do some checking with Stabbo at times. Good to hear from you and good fbg @Jojo85. Busy day scheduled @alf_Josiah. @gennepher scary dream and incident with that Android device. Wonderful verdant kaleidoscope. A very rare sight lately. @dunelm thanks for the art and yesterday sounds like a full but thoroughly enjoyable day. @Krystyna23040 have a wonderful break complete with off piste relaxation and “windfall” desserts/ice cream. @jjraak honours even in Battle of The Bridge MKii. Both sons made it up and down Scafell on Saturday - 27k steps for 6 ft 4 fellas - rested yesterday, aches and pains to nurse, and travel back today so Grandchildren collected from Cambs as mum doesn't drive. Little grandson here until dad is back from The D and D N, big Sis at Pre-School. Later I’m off to Addenbrookes for a head scan. Scenic route home as route to A roads and roads themselves ultra clogged with commuters, holiday makers and huge lorries Felixstowe/ Ipswich/huge estates bounds. Enjoy your day safely and for those who have not slept or functioned well during the hot spell relief may be on the way.
That dream was too real @ianpspurs
Thanks for the compliment.

A good trip to Addenbrookes for you.
Scenic route home sounds good...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds weird, Genn..,.but we have had similar when Alexa has kicked in unexpectedly to answer some question while we talked amongst ourselves.

Curious what beasty is eating all the food ?

But good to hear the cats & all, are well.:happy:

Strange things electronics @jjraak

No idea, but if I do not provide food it/they will dig up what is left of my precious garden. I have had to protect my vegetable garden against them, they dig up the roots for worms. I am still awaiting my TrailCams to find out, one for front, one for back. A guess from me says badger and cubs at the front, and a fox with her cubs at the back. But that is a guess.

Yes, cats all good, thanks.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like your trip is really agreeing with you .

Liking the more intricate artwork of late

Reminds me of olde books that had such pictures to illustrate the upcoming chapters

As you were.

Enjoy the day :)
I agree with your description of those intricate drawings to illustrate them.
I love those old books @jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely

Enjoy the time away

Rather envious of all the toing & fro-ing on here of late

Enjoy every minute, people :headphone:
I am not envious @jjraak because I do know my physical limitations and capabilities now (at my time of life with my disabilities), but I love to know and read of them through others on their trips, especially with photos and drawing thrown in (I miss @geefull and her drawings). And I make good use of GoogleEarth.

You still want that and that is part of your goal to improve on everything. Me, I have had everything I've needed especially with J all those years. But who knows what surprises life has in store for me...in the meantime you get me and my back garden tales of birds and cats and beasties.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with your description of those intricate drawings to illustrate them.
I love those old books @jjraak
A sucker here for war books ...Vietnam mainly

Loved back in the day, swapping back to the front page maps to see just where writer was talking about .

Of course now there is a wealth of information at our fingers and Kindle on tap..so really not required.anymore .

The world turns in ever faster spirals, but I do rather miss those more mysterious, laborious
days of filling my head with knowledge..:)

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone on another sunny Suffolk summer's day. No known fbg here but I probably should do some checking with Stabbo at times. Good to hear from you and good fbg @Jojo85. Busy day scheduled @alf_Josiah. @gennepher scary dream and incident with that Android device. Wonderful verdant kaleidoscope. A very rare sight lately. @dunelm thanks for the art and yesterday sounds like a full but thoroughly enjoyable day. @Krystyna23040 have a wonderful break complete with off piste relaxation and “windfall” desserts/ice cream. @jjraak honours even in Battle of The Bridge MKii. Both sons made it up and down Scafell on Saturday - 27k steps for 6 ft 4 fellas - rested yesterday, aches and pains to nurse, and travel back today so Grandchildren collected from Cambs as mum doesn't drive. Little grandson here until dad is back from The D and D N, big Sis at Pre-School. Later I’m off to Addenbrookes for a head scan. Scenic route home as route to A roads and roads themselves ultra clogged with commuters, holiday makers and huge lorries Felixstowe/ Ipswich/huge estates bounds. Enjoy your day safely and for those who have not slept or functioned well during the hot spell relief may be on the way.
Hope your head scan goes well today @ianpspurs. Great that both sons made it up and down Scafell on Saturday. Hope they don't have too many aches and pains.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely

Enjoy the time away

Rather envious of all the toing & fro-ing on here of late

Enjoy every minute, people :headphone:
Thank you. Actually this is turning out much nicer than I thought it would be. We have parked our car and we are not using it until we leave.

Had a lovely lunch (smoked mackerel and salad). Food is good and the staff very helpful and friendly.

There is a lovely breeze coming in from the sea and we have walked to the beach and then found a footpath to the ruined monastery. Lots of other footpaths to explore.

Our room opens straight out into the garden at the back. Coffee is good also.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A sucker here war books ...Vietnam mainly

Loved back in the day, swapping back to the front page maps to see just where writer was talking about .

Of course now there is a wealth of information at our fingers and Kindle on tap..so really not required.anymore .

The world turns in ever faster spirals, but I do rather miss those more mysterious, laborious
days of filling my head with knowledge..:)
I collect real books @jjraak
I do have a few thousand old books going back to 1700's.
There is nothing like touching the old raised print and the ink smell on those pages. Art books, old travel books (their words paint a picture and stimulate the mind ), but it is the black and white line drawings that draw me to buying the book (somewhat like the illustrations @dunelm is doing at the moment), that fine detail, which my hands won't let me do now, draws me and pulls me into another world.
When do I read them?
I go into the potting shed, no electronic devices are allowed. I have my thermos flask, a blanket (this is usually a cooler day activity), and the next thing I know, time has passed, evening has drawn in, (there are rechargeable lamps in the potting shed), and I wish I could stay there longer reading more...

Kindle is great, I love Kindle, Kindle is the middle of the night reading in bed!

But nothing beats my real books. Nearly all the bookshops I know have closed down now, so I won't be journeying for old books any more...and to be a real second hand/antique book shop, it has to have a real live cat in it...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher thanks for the good wishes and the scenic route was, well, scenic. The potting shed reading room sounds fantastic for you. @Krystyna23040 the scan went well thanks. We have seen one son who is definitely nursing aches and pains now. That hotel sounds wonderful and the coffee is good. Surely they could conjure up a sausage roll.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good that the Van Gogh Immersive Experience - was really good. I really enjoyed a Van Gogh exhibition at the British museum a few years ago but the Immersive Experience sounds like it was even more enjoyable.
It was smashing . Here is an image of one of the rooms where objects in paintings move, change and flow into other paintings. Doesn’t really do it justice but you get the idea.

upload_2022-8-16_7-8-47.jpeg

Reactions: dogslife

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone on a pleasantly cool start (relatively). The overcast sky doesn’t look good but the gods of the Vikings are not fighting and making a racket so we may be OK. Allenbrook tales, real books, holidays in pleasant surrounds. I have tried to catch up a bit. No idea what we are doing today. Will just have to play it by ear. But I do have a bus pass and Mrs Miggins has a fine brolly that she got from the Van Gogh gift shop. It’s one of his sun flower paintings and has doubled up as a parasol. Art bit - moving slowly. Should be finished by tomorrow. Have the best day that you can. I have already plundered some koffy.

upload_2022-8-16_7-21-44.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was smashing . Here is an image of one of the rooms where objects in paintings move, change and flow into other paintings. Doesn’t really do it justice but you get the idea.

View attachment 55943
I do get the idea from that photo @dunelm
I have an American pen friend who sent me videos of a similar immersive experience , on Van Gogh, and although not as good as the real thing standing in the room, it was amazing, something I had never seen before.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone on a pleasantly cool start (relatively). The overcast sky doesn’t look good but the gods of the Vikings are not fighting and making a racket so we may be OK. Allenbrook tales, real books, holidays in pleasant surrounds. I have tried to catch up a bit. No idea what we are doing today. Will just have to play it by ear. But I do have a bus pass and Mrs Miggins has a fine brolly that she got from the Van Gogh gift shop. It’s one of his sun flower paintings and has doubled up as a parasol. Art bit - moving slowly. Should be finished by tomorrow. Have the best day that you can. I have already plundered some koffy.

View attachment 55944
I like this moving slowly art bits @dunelm It is great to see the ink drawing develop and flesh out bit by bit. I appreciate very much this detailed drawing, because it is something I used to love to do, but can't any more because of arthritis in the hands and all that rubbish...

It is like I am on the journey with you in this drawing...

Enjoy your day under that overcast sky...at least it is cooler...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.9

What to talk about today?
Finally my brain is reassembling from the fried egg status of the last few days. Slowly the neurons are reassembling (spellcheck keeps changing neurons to neutrons, spellcheck has lost the plot) in my brain.
It is great to be able to think some thoughts again, instead of being in this primordial heatwave soup.

A cheerful robin has just entered the garden.

Ammy the little black stray, I found in my kitchen yesterday. She had entered via the cat flap. She shot out like a bullet when I came in. So I thought she had gone when I opened the door, but no, she was sitting on the doorstep with her sweet little face asking politely if she could come in. So I said come in. She did. And went to the empty cat dish. I got some wet food for her, but she is an impatient little thing. Her nice countenance changed into a hissing, snarling, lashing with her paws beast. She was very hungry and I wasn't quick enough opening the sachet of cat food which was proving troublesome to open. It was devoured the moment the cat bowl touched the floor. She came up to me and asked for a second bowl being all nice and friendly. I had talked to her softly all the while, even when she was snarling and lashing at me. Then suddenly she vanished as if into thin air.

Today's activities? A lot of research is involved. And by the way that Pixel 3a phone that had an aberration on Sunday keeping unlocking itself as I was Skyping my daughter, and the Google Assistant giving answers to questions I was posing to my daughter in Oz, now won't talk to me since I told it to 'Shut up' on Sunday. She'll put the page up to a question I ask her, but won't read it out any more. She is silent. Obviously I have upset that sensitive Google Assistant. It was an annoying voice anyway, so it is no loss to me if Google Assistant is sulking.

Creative is the borage again. I quite like this star shape. A kaleidoscope in Laboscope again.

Now to make some more ice, the poor ice machine is also having problems in this heat as well, it only makes the smallest chunks of ice possible at the mo...

Oh heck, the photo file reducer was refusing to work this morning. Ten minutes of sweet talking to it, and it finally reduced the photo so I could post....

F13AC2FA-A265-4CFB-9746-553D7213392D.jpeg

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Dinner was delicious last night. Sea bass and then the special treat - the ice cream dessert.

Off to breakfast shortly - am feeling so relaxed and lazy.