What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought of you and Denis earlier today. I took an Uber to a pet store a couple of miles away and from the sidewalk I could see through the front window into the grooming salon where a cute little puppy was being groomed. He looked about Dennis's age and was being very good! He looked like he might have been a Cockapoo, but maybe he was -- like a service dog I saw in another store -- a Schnoozle.

I love all these mixed breeds which are appearing now. I’m not sure Dennis will be so well behaved at the groomers - he hates having a bath and is still very much into chewing everything ( and everyone) he is in disgrace at the moment though as he chewed through the zip which fastens his travelling case closed. It’s unreparable so he’s going to have to learn to travel in the boot like a big boy.
Does KC cope well with travelling in a crate? My daughter’s cat simply won’t go near one - the vet has to go to her house if needed.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
morning all a 8.1 greeted me today that meter of doom is really throwing the numbers at me. Well all I can say to everyone is take care in this heat everyone, even us up in the Windswept and bitterly cold North are experiencing a hot spell and the locals are worshiping the strange red ball in the sky!! Me? we are in lockdown due to the doggos not being allowed out in this heat and I'm officially melting as a fat lad I don't "do" heat.

Take care everyone and keep in the shade and hydrate

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @Bubbsie I was so sad to read about ‘Plumpy’ what a devastating blow. I can’t believe she wouldn’t put his happiness first. He will be so confused, it’s a horrible thing to have done to both you and Harry. I’m so sorry.

Reactions: Viv19 and HarryBeau

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Bubbsie .

Thinking of ya.
Horrible situation.
Keep busy if possible...<hug>

To everybody else..
I Have a friend who has a job lot of pitchforks and flaming torches,
We all meet at bubbsies, then match on the witches house.

Who's with me.?
I'm with you!

And I'll bring the Pitch forks and a very nice Muck fork (got lots of tines to get more with)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sad news…’Plumpy’ who some of you here are familiar with is no longer a member of our household…my neighbour who arrived with him (he was just three months old) & her two children after her relationship with an abusive partner broke down three & a half years ago has rescinded our agreement to transfer his ownership to me…from the onset Harry would dig holes through my hedge …claw at the connecting gates until finally we left them open and he made himself at home here…we loved him & loved having him despite his slobbering chewing everything in sight & snoring fit to bring the house down…now apparently her Ex is the preferred option to care for him & Harry is currently with him…heartbreaking.
I am so sorry Bubbsie. Especially sad as he was so happy being with you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 this morning on a fairly windy and overcast day in Cornwall. Must admit I’m quite pleased about that when I hear about the scorching heat the rest of the country is having.
@Weehotty welcome to this friendly little corner of the forum. Read around the threads and ask any questions, there are so many knowledgable people here. Many of us T2s have got our numbers down to non diabetic figures by cutting down on carbs. Ie eggs for breakfast rather that cereal or toast. There are lots of meal ideas on different areas of the forum or you could try dietdoctor.com for some inspiration.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A steady 5.6 this morning. As I was typing this sentence - predictive text inserted the word bad into the sentence. Is my Kindle fire sitting in judgement of me now!

Today the hall I teach in has air com - so looking forward to it. Yesterday I really should have cancelled classes - it was so hot.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all :)

4.5 today

there is a bit more cloud here and we're inside the big shed volunteering today so at least not in the direct sun ;)

I do like to be warm, just not too warm at night though.
There are loads of visitors currently taking advantage of our village gala week and the good weather, there is a serious outcropping of vests and shorts ;)
... probably to be followed closely by an outbreak of sunburn :sorry:

Keep safe everyone :)

I burn very easily so I'm wearing a baggy shirt and a hat to be on the safe side, looking vaguely like a walking tent :hilarious:
À chacun son goût ;)

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gorgeous bright, sunny morning and just like last summer perfect conditions for me to sleep soundly free of all bedding, all windows wide open. Meter showed 4.7 which has a 50/50 chance of being accurate but 0% chance of lifting the sense of doom brought on by the Dementor's kiss enveloping the country. My sympathies to all who don't cope well with this weather and especially those who can't sleep well. Fascinating how different we all are for ideal sleeping conditions. I don't like the warm duvet, cosy routine so most of the year I often average sub 6 hrs sleep a day . Enjoy your day. @Weehotty welcome and @DJC3 seems to have pointed you in a good direction. Like sleeping, this is highly individual so I would say use it all as a framework and be guided by your meter. Above all, use common sense and be honest about what suits you. I look forward to seeing your amazing progress and growing confidence in managing diabetes.

Last edited:

Viv19

I love all these mixed breeds which are appearing now. I’m not sure Dennis will be so well behaved at the groomers - he hates having a bath and is still very much into chewing everything ( and everyone) he is in disgrace at the moment though as he chewed through the zip which fastens his travelling case closed. It’s unreparable so he’s going to have to learn to travel in the boot like a big boy.
Does KC cope well with travelling in a crate? My daughter’s cat simply won’t go near one - the vet has to go to her house if needed.

Bribery- works every time DJC3. ;-))

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg after just one chicken thigh last night back in the 5's..a cool 5.8 at 620am

So less food or less beer..who knows.

Nice tip @dunelm re iced water..

For those struggling in the heat.. The BBC followed some Londoners making an early start to avoid the hottest part of the day in London.

It's a Inferno today,and it's still early. :***:

App says 98 in old money, but I reckon we might see a 100°F

Screenshot_2019-07-23-11-04-14-891_net.darksky.darksky.png

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But it's ok..London transport are on the case and offering sensible advice if traveling in this heat..:hilarious:

IMG-20190725-WA0000.jpg

3xkvgt2NbFHjqvpA9

Reactions: Viv19

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today, remnants from girly night the night before no doubt.

Stumbled on this and thought I would share on my favourite thread as it's really interesting.

https://bjgp.org/content/69/684/360

Yesterday was a brilliant day. I have been working on a leaflet for the DNs to give out at at my surgery (and hopefully many others) . An alternative way to deal with diabetes and losing weight - lchf. From a diabetics point of view. ' my name is Debra Scott and I am a diabetic ' angle. Almost there. It just needs a couple of tweaks. I'm so happy.

I'm also over the moon as I received a PM (email) from Dr David Unwin saying he thought our 'what have you eaten today' booklet we pulled together for our Birmingham meeting last Sept was brilliant:

'This is super brilliant !!
is it published in booklet form any where ??

Perhaps the PHC could do that for you

Cheers

David

Dr David Unwin FRCGP'

I met him at RFR. What an inspiration man he is! I asked if I could include his sugar infographs in my leaflet. 'Of course, they are NICE approved now' So I have used the common foods one. I must say how amazingly supportive my surgery are. Could not ask for more. I'm doing another presentation in Sept. With hubby. Mainly on weight loss but incorporating controlling bs - LCHF . Surgery have sorted me a room. they will spread the word and print all handouts etc.

I'm currently en route to Norfolk. Taking FIL for his 90th for 3 nights. Air con keeping us comfy 32 degrees outside! Scorchio. Hubby and his dad in front. FIL remenising. He used to drive HGVs so being on the motorway is sending him back. So far so good. Doris Day, Perry Como, Dusty Springfield etc playing (my choice cos I love them Haha, that said so does FIL!) I'm in my office in the back typing away!!! Apologise in advance for even more typos than usual. Its not the easiest of tasks!!!

Happy Thursday to all.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Saskia there is nothing I can do about it...I have no legal recourse yes we did have an agreement however knowing it & proving it are two different things...this happened about ten days ago so I haven't seen him for almost two weeks...even if I did fight them it would take a long time & if Harry moved again it wouldn't be good for him
She hasn't bothered with him for 3.5 years!!! I smell a rat. Taking him away from a very loving home. So sad for you Bubbsie. Gutted.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , im new here a wee pre diabolical ! My fasting sugars this morning we’re sitting above 10 this morning .. it screwed me for the full day .. any advice in getting t
It down ?
Hello and welcome. You are on the best forum.

Have a read of this and a good look around the forum. Fire away with any questions you might have. Everyone is very friendly and happy to help. Best advice, dont worry. It will come down with a few small changes.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fbg 7.9

On the downward trend again

Cat Popeye struggled in the heat yesterday. So hottest day today. He is 27 years old. So I am worried about him. My eagle eyes on him today. He is sitting on the chill/cool mat, but the insides have gone into squelchy gloop this hot weather.

Take care today
Drink plenty of fluids

>^..^<
27! Popeye is a grand age. Plenty more in him yet though.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today, remnants from girly night the night before no doubt.

Stumbled on this and thought I would share on my favourite thread as it's really interesting.

https://bjgp.org/content/69/684/360

Yesterday was a brilliant day. I have been working on a leaflet for the DNs to give out at at my surgery (and hopefully many others) . An alternative way to deal with diabetes and losing weight - lchf. From a diabetics point of view. ' my name is Debra Scott and I am a diabetic ' angle. Almost there. It just needs a couple of tweaks. I'm so happy.

I'm also over the moon as I received a PM (email) from Dr David Unwin saying he thought our 'what have you eaten today' booklet we pulled together for our Birmingham meeting last Sept was brilliant:

'This is super brilliant !!
is it published in booklet form any where ??

Perhaps the PHC could do that for you

Cheers

David

Dr David Unwin FRCGP'

I met him at RFR. What an inspiration man he is! I asked if I could include his sugar infographs in my leaflet. 'Of course, they are NICE approved now' So I have used the common foods one. I must say how amazingly supportive my surgery are. Could not ask for more. I'm doing another presentation in Sept. With hubby. Mainly on weight loss but incorporating controlling bs - LCHF . Surgery have sorted me a room. they will spread the word and print all handouts etc.

I'm currently en route to Norfolk. Taking FIL for his 90th for 3 nights. Air con keeping us comfy 32 degrees outside! Scorchio. Hubby and his dad in front. FIL remenising. He used to drive HGVs so being on the motorway is sending him back. So far so good. Doris Day, Perry Como, Dusty Springfield etc playing (my choice cos I love them Haha, that said so does FIL!) I'm in my office in the back typing away!!! Apologise in advance for even more typos than usual. Its not the easiest of tasks!!!

Happy Thursday to all.
Amazing thing to do for FIL. Enjoy Norfolk

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning folks, white streaks of ice, high in a pale azure sky this morning - a little different from the punishment of the gods yesterday.

The wonder wheel of windows wide open and the gentle buzz of a fan throughout the night heralded the dawn with a smiling, bright 5.0 at 0600.

I discovered an excellent new way to very quickly lose weight yesterday; choose a day with the prospects of really hot weather and then go out all day on a motorcycle. The trick is to reject the sensible idea of grabbing your lightweight mesh riding gear in favour of something with a waterproof liner (just in case). A choice of route with little shade will do the trick - and about 200+ miles, just to make sure.

Have a great day if you can - plenty of water.
Hot tip - if you are finding it hard to sleep at night and have a fan, then a large plastic bottle full of frozen water in front of the fan may help to cool the room - failing that, prick your finger on a spinning wheel rather than your using blood sugar kit.
Your way with words is magical.