1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by OldButBold, Apr 24, 2019.

1. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Now I want a pork chop ... and it's 10 'til 2 in the morning and the grocery store's closed!

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello back, young'un. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

good morning all :)

4.5 today

out all day volunteering today so the soggy weather forecast won't have too much impact, I don't remember a summer with so many thunderstorms since we moved to this area, usually we get more rainbows than lightening strikes ;)

Mum was expecting visitors at the weekend but they've put it off for a week so we'll perhaps have another chance to tidy the grass a bit before they arrive :)

Looking forward to the annual village art show this week, always interesting and mr. gee says they do very good tea and home baking, I say they do very good tea :hilarious:

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Happy belated birthday Mr G

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Debandez

You do make me giggle

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Debandez

Will really miss your fun posts but wish you a very happy break. Enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Debandez

Looks easy enough but I bet mine wouldn't turn out like that!

Who is this chef @ianpspurs

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. dunelm

dunelm Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Looks good - things like this can always be changed and fiddled with but you have your message and it gets it past the NICE police. Hope that this can persuade people to make some changes in their lives. Having spoken to the GP practice that I attend, they are focusing upon their cohort of pre-diabetics. With so much depravation in this area, they are trying for a regional push to unlock funding. Meanwhile, it looks as though a couple of Friday mornings in September will see me helping to heard about 1500 patients towards a group of nurses armed with flu jabs (lucky pneumonia jabs also available for the needy).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Debandez

Reminds me of a time I reached out for the Colgate toothpaste (red n white tube) I obviously expected a minty taste. I got the taste of Canesten!!! Red and white tube! That won't happen again!!!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Debandez

Look at that face!!! The face of pure innocence... !!!!!

• Like Like x 7
  11. Debandez

Great opportunity to get some new recruits for the PPG. 1500 possibles! :) any diabetics in there? Throw the leaflet at them ;-) what am I like? Unrelenting.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Shas3

Shas3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

So, yesterday I met my doctor who is glad about my sugar control. HbA1C was 6% (which I guess is 42 in the UK system). He is reluctant to cut metformin any lower. My current level is 1000 mg per day (500 mg at breakfast and 500 at dinner). He wants me to stick to that and if my numbers are stable for next 6 months, he says we can consider lowering. LDL is high (and I must say I was binging on all kinds of cheeses in the last few months) and he wants me to bring it down in next three months. If not - statins :-(….. So, I think the cheese binging needs to stop I guess!!! Anything else that helps reducing LDL? My exercising / work out / walking is quite regular now and I can increase a bit but not too much, I think.... Any other diet / lifestyle changes that help bringing down LDL???

Thanks!!!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  13. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It couldn't have been him DJC just look at that innocent little face...he'd never do anything like that!;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Debandez

Thrilled with myself this morning for 3 reasons:
    1) I'm keeping up nicely with this thread!
    2) FBS 5.6
    3) what happened yesterday is heartwarming

So, my BIL had his PIP app declined. He was on 'indefinite DLA' for many years but when they changed to PIP they didnt award him anything. This was 2 years ago. He didn't want to appeal. Part of his condition (autism) is he can be very stubborn and we didnt want to upset him and force him so left it. Little did we know the consequences. But that's another story. 2 years later with his health deteriorating and his anxiety levels increasing we have managed to get him to apply. His app was rejected. We had lots of supporting evidence including reports from drs and psychologist and we went to assessment to go through an hour of grilling with BIL. But it appears they didnt listen to anything!!! So we have to appeal. The whole thing has been very upsetting. But there is light..

We sold a upvc door on Ebay a few weeks ago. The couple who bought it were lovely. We chatted for 2 hours standing in the sunshine. He only worked for DLA/PIP for 30 years. He invited us around last night to his to help with appeal. It was like meeting old friends. The gin came out. I volunteered to be designated driver. We arrived at 7pm and left at 11.45! During that time the gentleman went through everything with us. Completed the appeal in fact. He was on the computer much of the time (still able to chat in between). Printed everything off and we came away feeling incredibly relieved. His wording was perfect. His phrasing of answers blew us away. If this doesn't win the appeal nothing will. If this gets thrown out its onwards to a judicial review.

This couple don't know us. But they spent the whole evening helping us. Just lovely. They made me coffees. Eric lost count of the gins he had!

So today I'm buying a thank you card to pop in the post. I do calligraphy (not so often these days and literally only for special occasions) and will be writing both the card and envelope in this. Once this is all sorted I will be replenishing their gin supply and returning their hospitality.

Re my FBS I did think it would be higher. We had no dinner at all and were starving when we got home (the couple offered us cheese and biscuits but we politely declined). I had 2 ryvita and lots of cheese with a small glass of wine whilst we sat there digesting the evening. No nuts but I expected a high reading today. 5.6 was very welcome.

Happy Thursday to all.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Debandez

First of all well done on the hba1c. Great news. Secondly, dont panic. There is a lot of mis information surrounding cholesterol.

Try this calc:

https://cholesterolcode.com/new-report-tool-launched/

Then have a Google at this thread @bulkbiker put together. Its fab. I'm sure if you have any questions he will be very happy to answer. Also @shelley262.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning All. A disappointong 6.1 today, i did get up late but ate sensibly yesterday. Maybe its my weekend catching up with me. Onwards with the sensible eating!
    @gennepher that is hilarious..I can just imagine the KC giving you a withering look cos its ok for you to eat hers but you dont share yours. @HarrisonK I feel just as cheated by my number as you do. @Debandez what an interesting and helpful evening you all had..sound lovely people and new friends too. Hope BIL gets sorted properly. @DJC3 that expression says it all “butter wouldnt melt”. It must be like locking stuff away from a toddler! Bless him. @johnpol hope Mrs Jp gets better soon with all your TLC.
    Have a great Thursday everyone. I am doing a bit of housework, loads of deadheading outside and keeping the hedge man supplied with beverages.
    Stay well, get well, stay safe.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning...not up until after 7am feels like holiday time...lots to do in the house a great build up to the most exciting day of the week...it's bin day tomorrow...which bin is it (like which window is it on Playschool) I have no idea fortunately the neighbours will have...I'll follow their lead...woke to a 6.2

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Belated good morning all and sundry. @karen8967 that seems a very good place for you to start the day bg wise. @Bildad fantastic bg number despite the excitement you must feel for the fun day. @dunelm what colour medal did Mike and his droogies bestow? @HarrisonK bg levels operate on a nolens volens basis so don't waste another minute trying to analyse things. Likewise @PenguinMum who has tagged several members so I echo her thoughts. @Shas3 great A1c and sticking with metformin seems a sound plan for now unless there are issues. My fbg was a woeful 5.8 at 5.30 but that is very definitely a 2nd order issue just now so I returned to bed for 3 hours. @Debandez what a diamond that man is so I hope the end result of his kindness is the outcome you BIL needs. As for the bread, most of my food is the work of the food fairy whom I came by one evening in a rugby club. Pip,pip old toots.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    #6818 ianpspurs, Aug 8, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  19. Cumberland

Cumberland Type 1 · Master

5.1 very good

Have a good day everyone

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  20. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Haha he still has a half chewed pine cone in his mouth!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook