What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and a 5.7 today.

On my own again as Mrs MC needs to go back to MIL, that's twice this week, Mrs MC rang doctor again to see if they would do a home visit. A mirical doctor agreed to see MIL at home, we think it's only because Mrs MC mentioned the Paramedics had attended a fall and they had mentioned it was time that medicines were reviewed, maybe we are being too sceptical.

Go with care whatever you are doing.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.8 yesterday and 4.3 today

it's not too chilly this morning 9'C pretty good for December in North Scotland ;)

a lazy day yesterday pottering about the house and then out for lunch and some shopping :)

Spent the later afternoon and evening with the start of a sweater for a friend who wants it for her 4 year old grandson. The pattern is a real puzzle :sorry: I had to start it twice because the set up of it is so convoluted and it has an aran pattern to be factored in. Never mind, puzzles are supposed to be good for my ageing brain :hilarious:

Day out at the 'big shed' today so the coffee is in the works as I type ;)

Hope your day treats you well :)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen from a dark and cold Tilehurst. I'm not saying its very cold but our resident Eskimos have moved south for winter...I hope you all survived National Bin Day.

A hmmmm 6.8 this morning from that meter, I just know it's up to something......

The Christmas decoration war will continue today. Mrs J has finish putting hers up, I have not finished getting rid of some of the horrendous gaudy ones.
Well folks enjoy your day remember it will soon be the summer solstice.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all I will give out hugs to all that need it, no fight with doomy this morning as I really couldn't be bothered so. took the 4.8 offered and just went. The exams yesterday weren't very good at all if I am honest, but I was expecting it to be fair, if it's possible to talk around an answer then that was me. Never mind get the results in 10wks so will book my resit for March! I must of subconsciously stressed as had a hypo last night and it didn't wake me up as usual, so am feeling like I have done 100 rounds with Mike Tyson this morning and feel very, very groggy (just what you need when you are teaching today) so I will slink off and feel sorry for myself today. but above all else Take care, and have a wonderful Thursday.

Reactions: DJC3 and karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning to each and everyone of you good people. @mojo37 good news on your review and lowering meds despite the dietary advice. @gennepher interesting and potentially very useful information about the eye health supplement - thank you. @Muddy Cyclist however it came about the GP visit must be good news one would think. @geefull hope the big shed doesn't prove too cold and what a star for helping the friend with the knitting.I am sure your ageing brain is as sharp as a pin or other sharp things. @SaskiaKC great comeback about the walking poles and just use them if they help. My fbg today was 4.6 according to the meter - why do I only believe the high numbers? Sad news re RGD Willis yesterdy. @jjraak hope I haven't missed any bad news about your nephew and progress is continuing. @Krystyna23040 my exercise bike sits proudly in my lounge facing the patio doors so I can see almost to Ely cathedral while using it. Isaiah 35 v 10 seems a good place to start the day. Take care and be safe (sorry @PenguinMum that's your trademark)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.1 for me enjoy your day everyone
FB_IMG_1573768072160.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a pretty decent 5.6.

not been on so much,
took a job for Xmas to bring in some extra spending money for the hols, and to relieve the boredom.

but all before my poor nephew..

had planned to take car etc, but their needs are greater, though we had a battle of them trying to give it back
and me insisting they keep it for the time being (hate to think he takes a turn for the worst and they ..well you know)
so it's 3 tubes and a short walk or one tube and a long walk..20 odd minutes
add in the hour + either way and that starts being a blooming Looong day
which would be fine, except the sleep and prep for the day, just leaves me cutting it fine as it is..:wideyed:

So, darn long days.,.well nights, actually..6pm -6am
rinse and repeat for 5 days..:woot:

my first stint working over night, weird if i'm honest, but hey ho

liking the job, people ok, so could be worse

so don't worry, i'm still reading all the posts and such
just not got enough time to post back and mention things,
and then you know how fast the posts build up, yadda, yadda...yes feeble excuses..but i pray you can forgive me,
i'll make up for it on holiday...:D:hilarious::hilarious:

@ianpspurs & pricking crew...nephew update.

taken off intubation (?), now on mask for oxy.
delirious, which was a worry, but seems that is rather normal.
claims hes in Cardiff, says he's been 'stitched up' ( by who we don't know. )
and he wants a pint and a burger...last two may not be part of the delirium..;)

still very poorly :sorry:.., but we move 2 steps forward and one step back, so 'progress' at least..

pleasant day all.just finishing off a little breakfast then off to sleep.

now i sort of understand how @SaskiaKC , must 'see' the forum..:D

Ciao Bella..x

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.1 today hey ho.
@johnpol sorry about the exam and the resulting hypo. Hope you start to feel better. @gennepher thanks for posting about the eye supplements, of great interest to me. Glad your Christmas party was fun even if the food wasnt. @Muddy Cyclist hope MIL gets a good report from the travelling doc and Mrs MC can come home soon. @jjraak hug for the busy days, and well done for giving up your car to the youngsters. Sounds like encouraging signals with your nephew, it may be slow but PG he makes a full recovery.
Well its a start on the Christmas cards for me today and various other jobs around the house. Enjoy Thursday everyone. Stay/get well, stay safe. (@ianpspurs happy to share, its what I say when parting from family and friends).

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A stunning sunrise this morning here in the East. Doggie walk done and sitting in the warm with a coffee.

4.6 this morning. Have been trying to work out why - after going low carb since 2016 and keto since early 2017 when I joined this site - has there been a quantum leap in blood sugar control when basically I haven't changed what I am doing.

Last night 4.1 before bed and although I didn't test during the day was feeling at times that I was on the verge of a hypo. This T2D thingy is a real puzzle and I don't think I will ever understand it.

I am not complaining - just puzzled.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
a pretty decent 5.6.

not been on so much,
took a job for Xmas to bring in some extra spending money for the hols, and to relive the boredom.

but all before my poor nephew..

had planned to take car etc, but their needs are greater, though we had a battle of them trying to give it back
and me insisting they keep it for the time being (hate to think he takes a turn for the worst and they ..well you know)
so it's 3 tubes and a short walk or one tube and a long walk..20 odd minutes
add in the hour + either way and that starts being a blooming Looong day
which would be fine, except the sleep and prep for the day, just leaves me cutting it fine as it is..:wideyed:

So, darn long days.,.well nights, actually..6pm -6am
rinse and repeat for 5 days..:woot:

my first stint working over night, weird if i'm honest, but hey ho

liking the job, people ok, so could be worse

so don't worry, i'm still reading all the posts and such
just not got enough time to post back and mention things,
and then you know how fast the posts build up, yadda, yadda...yes feeble excuses..but i pray you can forgive me,
i'll make for it up on holiday...:D:hilarious::hilarious:

@ianpspurs & pricking crew...nephew update.

taken of intubation (?), now on mask for oxy.
delirious, which was a worry, but seems that is rather normal.
claims hes in Cardiff, says he's been 'stitched up' ( by who we don't know. )
and he wants a pint and a burger...last two may not be part of the delirium..;)

still very poorly :sorry:.., but we move 2 steps forward and one step back, so 'progress' at least..

pleasant day all.just finishing off a little breakfast then off to sleep.

now i sort of understand how @SaskiaKC , must 'see' the forum..:D

Ciao Bella..x

You are missed.

Update on nephew still positive which is good news. They are fortunate to have such a generous Uncle re transport, thumbs up for that.

Take care during your spell of long working hours.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night 4.1 before bed and although I didn't test during the day was feeling at times that I was on the verge of a hypo. This T2D thingy is a real puzzle and I don't think I will ever understand it.
Will any of us @Krystyna23040 we just have to do the best we can and hope all the advise we are putting into practice is doing some good. Great readings though, I'm quite envious.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. A bit late on parade this morning. I did wake at 0640 but then decided to take industrial action and have a lay in.

The wonder wheel of a nice six mile walk and some nice Schneider Brot found in ASDA resulted in a nice 4.9 this nice a.m. So far - nice.

I am on “wait in for a package that must be signed for” duty today. The hourly rate is not that hot but the working conditions are reasonable.

The transformation of the house creeps onwards, narrated by Vincent Price, and we will shortly be living in our very own garden centre, complete with festive gewgaws and enough trees to model The Eden Project. There is even a female elf muscling in and poor old Alfredo Garcia has been pushed to the back of his shelf.

Have a great day if you can, lay out your Christmas decorations in order of garishness if you can’t. And remember, there are three possibilities for Shrodingers Cat - dead, alive and absolutely furious.
upload_2019-12-5_9-53-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-5_9-53-2.jpeg
    upload_2019-12-5_9-53-2.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A stunning sunrise this morning here in the East. Doggie walk done and sitting in the warm with a coffee.

4.6 this morning. Have been trying to work out why - after going low carb since 2016 and keto since early 2017 when I joined this site - has there been a quantum leap in blood sugar control when basically I haven't changed what I am doing.

I am not complaining - just puzzled.
Really good to read about your journey (weren't you at one stage on insulin or have I mis-remembered?) sets me some interesting mental challenges. How can I be so sceptical of LC/Keto when people like you clearly show amazing success? If I continue will I eventually see some kind of breakthrough - admittedly not at that level? Just how bad must I have been for it to take so long to see any results? Your success and the sudden change has given one fellow, quite sceptical, East Anglian a glimmer of hope. You are another one who seems relatable to me so congratulations and many thanks.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Really good to read about your journey (weren't you at one stage on insulin or have I mis-remembered?) sets me some interesting mental challenges. How can I be so sceptical of LC/Keto when people like you clearly show amazing success? If I continue will I eventually see some kind of breakthrough - admittedly not at that level? Just how bad must I have been for it to take so long to see any results? Your success and the sudden change has given one fellow, quite sceptical, East Anglian a glimmer of hope. You are another one who seems relatable to me so congratulations and many thanks.
Yes, your memory is in good working order. I was on insulin, Novarapid after all meals and snacks and long acting Lantus at night.

I absolutely understand your frustration with LC/Keto. It has been a very bumpy ride for me as well. Initially low carb around 50g started April 2016. Didn't do anything with my blood sugars. Dropped to under 40g in September 2016 which started a scary roller coaster of hypos. On the advice of my DN stopped all insulin. I was so happy. This state of affairs lasted until December 2016 when spiralling blood sugars mean't that I was back on Lantus. Very fed up. Actually I wasn't fed up - I was in despair.

Early 2017 found this site and went keto - max 20g carbs. Then followed a short time of roller coaster blood sugars and on and off Lantus until I was eventually off all insulin again. Happy with my blood sugars until December 2018 when they started rising again. Not enough to go back on insulin - but a little higher than I would like fasting and after meal blood sugars. I had kept 20g or under every day without exception because I absolutely do not want to go back on insulin. So very puzzling.

Then in November 2019 suddenly started with these ultra low blood sugars. Don't know why they are suddenly ultra low as I have only dropped carbs a tiny bit to around 17g a day and that's not every day as sometimes I do 20g.

It makes no sense at all. It seems, maybe, that there has been a lot of healing of the body going on undetected by me. Maybe it just takes a lot of time to heal the body when it has had high blood sugars for a long time.

Maybe also the body was healing other conditions and it took priority - I did have IBS symptoms which have gradually improved since 2016 and now is absolutely gone. Perhaps healing the IBS took priority over sorting out my pancreas and liver. Who knows - and there is absolutely no way of finding out what is going on. It's a bit like a magical mystery tour.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning think the rise might have been due to celebrity mince pies that I ate after DN visit . She was very pleased said my results were excellent and now I can reduce my meds if I want ( this was when I mentioned the two very low numbers that I had experienced over the last month ( 3.4 ) . I am now going back to the normal metformin which will give me better control over how much I take . My cholesterol is looking far better than it has for a few years I did tell her that I was low carbing and eating loads of eggs meat and cheese, this didn't impress and just before I left she gave my yet another diabetic booklet and stressed the well plate ( carbs with every meal ) they just don't want to acknowledge low carbing .On the whole it was a good review and she doesn't want to see me for 6 months.

Congratulations on the good review! :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning and a 5.7 today.

On my own again as Mrs MC needs to go back to MIL, that's twice this week, Mrs MC rang doctor again to see if they would do a home visit. A mirical doctor agreed to see MIL at home, we think it's only because Mrs MC mentioned the Paramedics had attended a fall and they had mentioned it was time that medicines were reviewed, maybe we are being too sceptical.

Go with care whatever you are doing.

Good news indeed! Please keep us posted. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.2 this morning, after a late-night snack of generic store-brand cheerios. Pretty pathetic especially after dreaming that FBG was 4.9. Or is it pretty pathetic that I even dreamed about FBG numbers?

@dunelm I like your elf and drummer. Who is the character behind the Head Elf's left shoulder? It looks like a model for a Woman's Brain - Man's Brain seminar?