What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow 2 years - 10/10 for perseverance, remembering this will help me in my impatient quest for lower numbers.

Double wow just read ur post @ianpspurs, 3 years!!! Amazing. These pronouncements will help me persevere and also I can learn from them. I tend to want results right now so this also allows me to be gentle and accepting of slower results- this forum is so empowering and enlightening, Thanks guys.

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs no, G&T is not too girlie. It’s a sophisticated man’s drink so suits you very well!
My dad used to drink it and he wasn’t in the slightest bit girlie. He also drank an awful lot of champagne and very good reds and lived to a ripe old age. Enjoy your G&T in the sunshine, nothing better.
Thanks @DJC3 not at all surprised that your father was sophisticated - the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree:) I decided to rest this morning and bg went to an alarming 5.7 where breakfast might have been - not going that route again! My fault as I put in a season's best dog walk time last night and failed to do a proper recovery. Anyone here use foam rollers and the like? Ersatz ice baths might have to be back on the menu I feel.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3 not at all surprised that your father was sophisticated - the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree:) I decided to rest this morning and bg went to an alarming 5.7 where breakfast might have been - not going that route again! My fault as I put in a season's best dog walk time last night and failed to do a proper recovery. Anyone here use foam rollers and the like? Ersatz ice baths might have to be back on the menu I feel.

An ice bath sounds quite tempting in this heat. Don’t forget to save a couple of lumps for your G@T later though.

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An ice bath sounds quite tempting in this heat. Don’t forget to save a couple of lumps for your G@T later though.
I tend to use the shower @DJC3 - my first indulgent toy on retiring (remote control so I can switch it on from bed also brilliant temperature control; very funny turning it on when visitors use that loo! :angelic:) So I switch between 42C and coldest.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I decided to rest this morning and bg went to an alarming 5.7 where breakfast might have been - not going that route again! .

Are you saying it was the lack of exercise or lack of breakfast you think caused it?
I’d be really happy with that figure, but I know it’s high for you.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you saying it was the lack of exercise or lack of breakfast you think caused it?
I’d be really happy with that figure, but I know it’s high for you.
@DJC3 I think it was lack of exercise. Hopefully a thing called the Randle cycle. If I am right the keto body wants to use fat but the body pumps out glucose for the brain. Muscles want nothing to do with the glucose but until it is burned up it registers in bg. Them's my onions anyhow!

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you but I have had my ups and downs believe me!

I am sure u have @Mal37 - but it’s not how many times we fall but how many times you get back up this is it for all of us on here, the rest of our lives. It the consistency that counts isn’t it. I wonder if I can be consistent - I’m exhausted with all the exercise already- I just want a rest from it but I know I can’t and it’s a horrible thought. I hope I can find the staying power that you and all the others have shown.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I think it was lack of exercise. Hopefully a thing called the Randle cycle. If I am right the keto body wants to use fat but the body pumps put glucose for the brain. Muscles want nothing to do with the glucose but until it is burned up it registers in bg. Them's my onions anyhow!

I am sure u have @Mal37 - but it’s not how many times we fall but how many times you get back up this is it for all of us on here, the rest of our lives. It the consistency that counts isn’t it. I wonder if I can be consistent - I’m exhausted with all the exercise already- I just want a rest from it but I know I can’t and it’s a horrible thought. I hope I can find the staying power that you and all the others have shown.

Both of you refer to the importance of exercise

@ianpspurs I had a look at the Randle cycle yesterday after you mentioned it. It seems complicated but I think you have the gist of it, which makes sense.

@flexi06 I’m with you there, I do wonder if I’ve got the staying power to give up my past slothfulness. At the moment it’s not too bad as I am seeing positive results but when it starts to plateau I’m worried that I’ll lose heart.

I think the thing is to stay on the forum and it’ll help keep us focussed.

Reactions: ziggy_w and flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
II’m exhausted with all the exercise already- I just want a rest from it but I know I can’t and it’s a horrible thought. I hope I can find the staying power that you and all the others have shown.
@flexi06 Ask yourself how long you have been doing this and how long you weren't! Also my own targets are set for next Olympics because if it takes those guys a 4 year cycle to achieve fully what makes me so special? :) ( Channels Hagrid - "stick to it Harry, that's most important that is") @DJC3 I think the Hagrid approach applies here as well BUT also mix it up professional athletes vary their routines and there is a thing called active rest i.e. walking rather than anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Both of you refer to the importance of exercise

@ianpspurs I had a look at the Randle cycle yesterday after you mentioned it. It seems complicated but I think you have the gist of it, which makes sense.

@flexi06 I’m with you there, I do wonder if I’ve got the staying power to give up my past slothfulness. At the moment it’s not too bad as I am seeing positive results but when it starts to plateau I’m worried that I’ll lose heart.

I think the thing is to stay on the forum and it’ll help keep us focussed.

Yes@DJC3 this forum is definitely a force for good and the support from others in the same boat is such a plus. The high achievers (you all know who u r... low numbers, excellent exercisers etc) are a shining light for us to follow- and lucky for us they are kind enough to share their experience and tips. I’ll help u if u help me - I need gentle, kind, guilt trip encouragement- ( I hate the sergeant major stuff- I’m too much of a rebel lol) xx

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
need gentle, kind, guilt trip encouragement- ( I hate the sergeant major stuff- I’m too much of a rebel lol) xx
@flexi06 Stick with that attitude. Mo Farah, Usain Bolt and NFL Nose Tackles don't train the same way or need the same diet and neither do we. Be free to pick and chose from others, some will have very different tastes and backgrounds to you. There is no one size fits all solution - which seems to be where the traditional GP advice and current programmes fail!

Reactions: flexi06

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
WOW! I didn't think that Type 2's ever got fasting numbers that low? I thought it was only Type 1's. I have been in the 5's for the very first time this past fortnight ... 5.6 today ... but should I be aiming lower???

Not if you are on insulin and drive a car
The law states that 5.0 is minimum under that and you could end up in trouble if you drive under 5.0

Your figure today is great