1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. vanillapie

vanillapie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

7.8 upon waking. I haven't been testing when I wake up, this is the first time, and I don't know why it's so high. Maybe dawn phenomenon? Not feeling great about it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Hug Hug x 8
  2. alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those of a sensitive disposition who should hide for the rest of the day. My pals chaos and mayhem are out and about unrestrained.
    A 7.3 for me today
    I'm and all of me's are under the marital thumb today.

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. phdiabetic

phdiabetic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I put my pump on -100% temp basal for showers. Anyway once I got out, turned off the temp basal and put it in my pocket but forgot to reconnect to my body. Remarkably, my blood sugar was a bit low for a while after so I kept eating random things to keep it level. Once I finally recovered, I decided to have a big meal (maybe 40g carbs?). I bolused for all of it not realising my pump tubing was dangling uselessly out of my pocket. Thankfully I realised my error before anything bad happened, and a quick bolus combined with some exercise dealt with things nicely, but I was really stupid for a while there! My pump must have been squirting basal and bolus into the air for at least an hour before I reconnected ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NewTD2

NewTD2 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 6
  5. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Since I increased my prednisolone last week there has not been a day when I have not had a reading showing in the red on mySugr app and the predicted A1c is steadily going up now have had a letter from nuerologist suggesting that I increase preds yet again, not happy.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tippy.tosca

Tippy.tosca Type 2 · Active Member

Good morning.
    My blood sugar this morning is 4.4.
    Enjoy your day. Julie

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
  7. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Hugs johnpol

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Terrytiddy

Terrytiddy Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Morning all 8.3 for me o_O.

• Like Like x 13
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend
    Retired Moderator

@Fenn Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here in my signature is the link to the Basic Information for new members and I hope you will find it useful. Also a link to the Low Carb Program. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. dogslife

dogslife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Morning all. 6.6 today at 9am. A rainy start here in the Midlands but it will be good for the plants. Enjoy your Friday and the weekend folks.:)
    Update: Just after testing I had 1/2 slice of toasted cheese for breakfast followed by my Gliclazide tablet. Retested after 2 hours and up to 10.7!

• Like Like x 13
    • Hug Hug x 3
    #26310 dogslife, May 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. dogslife

dogslife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi vanillapie. I test my fbs just after getting out of bed and washing my hands to help ensure an accurate reading. I eat my breakfast just after testing then take my gliclazide.:)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6.5 today - a bit better. Wanna get down to those 5s again though!

• Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 3
  13. JMcB

JMcB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6.8 at 6:30. Hopefully it stays there for the next few hours as I’ve got a blood draw this morning.

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. johnpol

johnpol Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Got my levels down to under ten now, just a few more adjustments to make. And having another senior moment I have left my Ketone meter at home, can't wait for the weekend!! at least I remembered my head :bag::facepalm:

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Hug Hug x 1
  15. JMcB

JMcB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I test upon waking to get fbs and then again just prior to eating, unless I eat promptly after waking.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. alf_Josiah

Pred. is nasty evil very effective steroid. I'm on 10mg dose a day for life and I have been told that it makes controlling diabetes very difficult, which I have proved to be correct. Please be aware that there are many medics who do not understand how pred. affects controlling diabetes. Hopefully you should only be on pred. for a short time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Expert

Been off grid for a couple of days helping my son and his wife settle into their new home. BG readings have been very weird I hope due to their eccentric/exotic handwash. Was 5.1 yesterday but since some meals have seen me in 6s I have refused to test today and although I have entered all readings on MySugr I will delete them all and hope my June HbA1C has not been too badly impacted.
    This has made me realise how reliant I am on homemade food as there is very little off the shelf I will eat when travelling or staying with other people. Proper wake up call for ever leaving my own home:banghead: Still have a 3/3.5 hr journey home and may unwittingly ended up fasting and stewing in my own juices re seeing numbers in 6s

• Like Like x 8
    • Hug Hug x 3
    #26317 ianpspurs, May 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  18. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Yes it's nasty alright been taking them an unbelievable 17 years now a reluctant neurologist had allowed me to step them down to 10 mg a day but now having to go back up to 20 mg daily so going to take me a while to get things back under control if possible.

They are why I'm diabetic. My neurologist just says well diabetes not as important as your myasthenia gravis and you just have to accept it.

• Hug Hug x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  19. Keesha

Keesha Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone. Up again, this morning it is 6.2.

• Like Like x 9
    • Hug Hug x 5
  20. alf_Josiah

I have been told the same for my liver problems, but trying to get the diabetic nurses and doctors to accept this is a constant battle. Good luck and be firm with diabetes lot. Luckily for me my diabetic consultant accepts my liver takes priority.
    I guess your days of low blood sugar readings like me are gone.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook