What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A call centre adviser recorded me as having a 'disability' - being 'elderly'. I'm 67 and reckon I have at least 3 years, if not 13 before I'm 'elderly'. :)

Reactions: karen8967

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late this morning trying to catch up as slept later than planned!
Bg 5.0
Friday ketones 1.0
So all good but busy day ahead. Hope all well and a good Friday had by all.
@DJC3 ive never had a Christmas jumper and anyway if I had it would have been way too big now ! I never used to wear woollens much as felt they made me look bigger plus I was so hot with all my extra fat insulation! Maybe it’s time has come!
Edit to add so sorry to hear about the crumbling chimney @DJC3 hope it’s not too expensive a job !

Oh @shelley262 the time has definitely come for your first Christmas jumper! I felt the same about jumpers for many years but love them now, as you know.

Ive a feeling the chimney isn’t going to be cheap. He’s going to do a temporary fix for now, then a ‘Proper job’ ( as they say in these parts) in Jan.

Great fbg by the way, and I think you’ve earned the little lie in this morning.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oh my

There is only so much storage space and I wore it twice in over 2 years...... I dont mind a bit of fancy dress and I love to see people out there doing it but am happy to pass on the actual wearing of it all..... On the 25th there is a big Xmas swim here. Hundreds of people many dressed as Santa and other well know fairy tales plunge themselves into a near freezing sea. I'm happy to pass on that too. It is however a fine site to see.

Ooh yes, I think I’d rather pass on that one too - though would be happy to watch wearing a cosy Christmas jumper!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Late on parade because taxi-ing OH to the next town. Anyway 6.6 not worthtalking about really. Busy day ahead. I have never had a. Christmas jumper either. I would probably only wear it in the house and then would get too hot. I have a nice red velvet top that I wear every Christmas day though.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, safe and if you can hypo free.
PS. @DJC3 we have had a leak in our extension roof over the past 2 weeks but all local roofers are run off their feet and still waiting to get a slot from one. Hope you have more luck Cornish winters can be harsh.

Same here sadly with the roofers, but he’s going to do a temporary fix to stop the rain coming in which should see us through Christmas. Phew!

I like the sound of your red velvet top. I like anything red. ( especially wine)

Reactions: geefull

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Blood sugars were 4.7 this morning.

@HarrisonK -- Hope you feel better soon.
@DJC3 -- Sorry about the chimney. Major repairs always seem to happen right before Xmas. Murphy's law I guess.

Yes definitely Murphey’s law! Fingers crossed that’s the only thing.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1542809166342.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Felicitations chums..
I’ve got a query . I’ve just started sone new meds and I’ve read the contra indications. Baring in mind I reached the dreaded 50 milestone am I now classed as elderly? Be kind please

Abdolutely not!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.1 yesterday
5.5 today - happy days, back into the 5s!
My cousin has gone home now, been here since Sunday (it's been really lovely) so just catching up on the forum tonight.

Did you see the news about the NHS 800 calorie diet? Here are my own thoughts:

Good news, the NHS are doing something, and if it helps one person that has to be a good thing. At least they are recognising the type 2 CAN be reversed. When I was diagnosed almost a year ago I was told 'you have T2D and it's progressive - take these meds and cut down on sugar' so that's a massive plus in my eyes.

But speaking from my own personal experience and research there is little chance of this diet getting rid of diabetes. It could certainly get blood sugars under control and I would even go as far as to say it could put the HbA1c figures in non diabetic range.

But what happens at the end of the 800 calorie shakes and soups for 8 weeks period is the important bit? You can't sustain shakes and soups forever, especially such low cal ones.

From my research, and what I found works for me and so many type 2s is a low carb high healthy fat way of eating. Low carb, medium protein and high fat. My HbA1c has gone from the 60s (diabetic) to the 30s (well into non diabetic range) in a very short space of time. I've lost almost 4 stone as a byproduct! And my BP is that of an athlete

But I do have to work at it to stay there although it has got so much easier over the months as I know exactly what I can and can't eat in general.

Without a permanent lifestyle change the reversal won't last. If I went back to my old eating and drinking habits I would very quickly be back to square 1 as my body will always be allergic to sugar. I still test my bloods multiple times a day, especially if I introduce something new, my glucose monitor tells me so much. It's been invaluable.

I hope that this 800 diet is the start of a revolution for treatment of diabetes. There is a very long way to go.

The 2 main changes i would like to see are:

1) blood glucose monitors given to all prediabetic and t2d's

2) NHS advice given to diabetics eg the eatwell plate guidelines rubbish to change with immediate effect

I do feel the tide is turning, very very slowly. Too late for my poor old mum who has been my driving force in spreading the word, but hopefully things will get better for so many others

It took me just a few days of research (googled 'reversing diabetes') to find out how I could reverse my t2d. What baffles me is why the powers that be are still scratching their heads after so many years!!!!

For info......

So what will the 800 calorie diet consist of

People will be given meal replacement sachets that make up soups and shakes, they will contain all the vitamins and minerals needed to maintain good health through this period.

People will need to have four of these meal replacement sachets a day, for a period of three months. There will then be a period of follow-up support to help people get back on to solid food.
The very low calorie diets will be piloted next year in up to 5,000 people aged 18 and over. A previous trial, funded by Diabetes UK, revealed almost half of those who tried the diet achieved remission of their type 2 diabetes after one year.
One quarter of participants achieved a staggering 15kg or more weight loss, and of these, 86 per cent put their type 2 diabetes into remission.

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good afternoon cumbs. I can remember the first time I tried on someone’s glasses in a classroom ( 3rd year in a biology lesson ) it was a miracle I could see the board. I’m thinking your op was a similar eureka moment when the fog went away.. enjoy the sunshine xx

Goacher it was brilliant x