What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all, many tales of coughs and colds and the like. My sympathies to you. My morning number was 5.5 which I consider the norm but of course its a tough norm to be in so its a good way to start the day. Off for a chilly beach walk now. Have a good one if you possibly can...

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 today. Maybe the tiny bit of low carb brownie last night - hope not as I have a whole batch to get through. Maybe the howling wind outside which kept me awake all night or maybe the fact I didnt walk enough. Maybe a combo of all 3 who knows.

There seems to be some horrible colds around. @Debandez @johnpol @karen8967 @ianpspurs wrap up warm today, hope you get rid of them before Christmas

Brilliant fbgs again @Goonergal @rhubarb73 and @SueJB

Have a great day all

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@Goonergal -- Glad to see your blood sugars back to normal again.
@Debandez -- One square of 85% chocolate? Does this make so much of a difference? Edited to add -- Just read about your cold. Have a big hug and get better soon.
@karen8967 -- Hugs. Hope you feel better soon.
@Roulis -- Congrats, this is a great fasting reading. Really, really well done.

Fasting blood sugars for me this morning were 5.1.
2 squares late on has had an impact before now. Much lower fbs when I don't eat after 6pm. But on this occasion I'm thinking it's my cold.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 7.2 at 0800. I used to yearn for 5s now 6s would be acceptable. Why oh why am I having such bad bloods this past week when I have HBA1c next Monday. I am barely eating and yesterday didnt drop below 6 until 6.30pm.
Sorry to hear about the colds sending hugs and virtual hot toddies (unsweetened) to you all.
Have a good Thursday. Stay well if you can, safe and hypo free.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...wide awake at 4am so switched on the news...after five minutes of political posturing...Brexit...votes of no confidence with Boris Johnson & Jacob Rees Mogg right there in my living room:nailbiting: I decided to go straight back to bed...woke up (again) at 07:30 refreshed avoided any more news broadcasts until I had had my coffee...surprisingly woke to a 5.6...ps just switched the news on and the cat has spewed up under the dining room table...fair comment on the political drama unfolding I would say.

M

Member496333

6.1 at 0730 but I did wake up at 0300 to a horrible 8.1 that dropped to 7.3 by 0400, then I went back to bed. I was protein rich and carb poor yesterday so I am baffled

Heavy protein ingestion can cause a measurable glucose response in some people. Particularly the next day when the unused amino acids are either excreted by the kidneys or turned into glucose. The ratio between which appears to be a bit of a lottery, as some diabetics report being able to consume virtually unlimited protein with no noticeable glucose increase. I’m not one of them .

No reading to report from me this morning, as I’m scaling back the testing with a view to eventual once-weekly FBG just to keep my toe in. Currently feel like I’m just wasting strips with consistent low numbers. Only time will tell if my curiosity permits the vastly reduced testing frequency :shifty:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 today. Maybe the tiny bit of low carb brownie last night - hope not as I have a whole batch to get through. Maybe the howling wind outside which kept me awake all night or maybe the fact I didnt walk enough. Maybe a combo of all 3 who knows.

There seems to be some horrible colds around. @Debandez @johnpol @karen8967 @ianpspurs wrap up warm today, hope you get rid of them before Christmas

Brilliant fbgs again @Goonergal @rhubarb73 and @SueJB

Have a great day all
  • Thanks for the advice @DJC3 My sniffles seem to disappear once I drink tea which may coincide with our heating taking effect. Woodburner seems to heat the lounge overnight so usually around 20 when I stumble in nowadays - mostly seem to be avoiding the 3.30 routine just now. OT I still can't properly tame an average .4 difference between fbg and IF breakfast level - the SIT/MIT route seems the only way. Just reading an article on the matter now. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4619258/ Think the conclusion is just move about a bit
  • @PenguinMum I would say you are putting too much pressure on your boy through fasting so long and yearning for good results. Re toddies, I really don't see a LC version ever working - no honey, no ribena - all the Pusser's rum in the world won't put that right:arghh:

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No FBG, from me this freezing am.

Reason...I ate one portion small of GY yesterday...sprinkled linseeds on top..had that 11am ish.

Out and about lots to do... Ate again at 830 pm...one small portion of cod/salad..bed 11pm.

Woke 3am...FULL OF ENERGY..no chance to get back to sleep, so up at 4am, peanut butter on 2 ryvita..bloods at 6am 6.8.

Not so fussed at that, but that amount of energy on such little food...normal ?

I even got out out and ran most of the way to the station...ended up catching an earlier train...WIN.:D

Bear in mind all this from a guy who after a month of following the "official" guidelines of what to eat, was at the lowest of depths and could barely get his head off the pillow most days, and when he could.. could barely stay awake long enough until he could get back into that bed.

I know I say it, and I mean it must sincerely, you guys may not have saved my life but you certainly have given it back to me all polished up and supercharged.

Have a good day all.
May try swimming the channel before I head home tonight, I feel THAT good.;)
I love your posts. So well written and fun. Swim the channel when the weather perks up perhaps!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs how about whiskey with lemon slice studded with cloves and a little xylitol topped up with very hot water. But I dont like whiskey!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs how about whiskey with lemon slice studded with cloves and a little xylitol topped up with very hot water. But I dont like whiskey!
Thanks for the recipe. I am the toddy guru chez nous - cloves, cinnamon etc are essential along with lemon. I find rum is better than whisky but xylitol won't "cling" like honey. I have not attempted to make a toddy since being LC it just won't work - best I can do now is take the "alkeroll" neat. Hope all goes well with tests Monday? just chill young lady.

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Very heartwarming to see so many people having such amazing success controlling their diabetes. In my view it’s a direct reflection of what a wonderfully informative and supportive community this is. And to those who may feel they’re still struggling a little, keep taking baby steps, and draw inspiration knowing there’s always room for improvement. You’re in the safest hands possible here with folk who have all been there before. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Off out for a walk now in the beautiful crisp winter sunshine. Have a great morning everyone!