What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A request folks, has anybody taken a blood sugars reading while having a cramp attack ? I was awoken with a cramp attack in my calf muscle his morning and managed to take two readings twenty minutes apart 9.4 and then 9.9.
I have a theory as to why and just wondered if anyone else has performed the same test.

That nasty little steroid prednisolone causes my cramp attacks and having a slightly higher salt intake decreases the frequency of the attacks, please note that this works for me.

No off the wall comments from me today over Brexit, but my music teacher today will be suffering from harmony rapidly changing to disharmony hehehehe.
Have a good one folks.
Hurts like hell doesn't it will try to test next time normally I just have to get out of bed as it is worse when lying down and hobble round the house till the pain subsides .

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no shouldn't have looked...I'd love to have them all...that's not even a realistic possibility...Harry and I have made a donation...Edward is adorable.
Thank you for the making the donation, unfortunately Edward, who the foundation was named after, passed away last year we were all devastated but he had a wonderful life. If you go on facebook and join the Edward foundation page, you can see all of the dogs in foster and see their transformations, even Gabe's antics!!

M

Member496333

Morning All. A soul destroying 7.8 FBG despite this week having smaller portions and walking every day. Yesterday I was still above 6 at 7pm. I need to do something but am not sure I can do fasting. Maybe I might try only eating two meals or eating making my last meal a snack at about 6pm. Need to get my head round this. I have to eat something in the morning or my bloods rise and rise all morning.
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Do you mind if I ask what your diet consists of? Assuming low carb, your creeping numbers seem consistent with what some people experience with excess protein. Usually very elastic and not always directly correlated with each individual meal. Some report rising numbers, some don’t. Just a thought :)

Reactions: Cumberland

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my doctor's appointment earlier this afternoon that I was so nervous about -- got very good results. Weight down, blood pressure down, A1C WAY down, from .4 last summer to .3 today (I used an online converter to translate these numbers from US measurement of 7.5 last summer to 5.8 today). Another site has it as .417 last summer and .322 today in mmol. Either way, I'm happy with it and so was my doctor. She also noticed how big my shirt had gotten since last summer. :) Now I'm just waiting to get the results of the blood work for cholesterol

;)

Forgot to add last night. congratulations on your results. In the new British system your hba1c has gone from 58 to 40. (7.5 to 5.8). Happy for you. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hurts like hell doesn't it will try to test next time normally I just have to get out of bed as it is worse when lying down and hobble round the house till the pain subsides .

I used to get these occasionally right after I ruptured a lower lumbar disk. I found that stretching my heel down helped the cramped calf muscles. That's not medical advice -- just what worked for me. :)

Reactions: Cumberland

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the making the donation, unfortunately Edward, who the foundation was named after, passed away last year we were all devastated but he had a wonderful life. If you go on facebook and join the Edward foundation page, you can see all of the dogs in foster and see their transformations, even Gabe's antics!!
Oooh...sad news indeed...will have a look at the FB page...thanks john.

Reactions: johnpol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 today
Am currently reading Zoe Harcombe's The Diet Fix, which I acquired out of interest, not because I feel I need it. It is an interesting read and contains a bunch of recipes as well. I'm not promoting it, but thought I'd share a couple of observations:
What I've found most interesting so far is the science bit where she explains that the body is constantly doing one of two things - either dealing with excess sugar by converting it into fat (insulin activity), or burning fat to make fuel to replace used sugar (glucagon activity) - it can't do both at the same time.
So an approach to weight loss is to think about how you keep that switch pointing at fat burning, and not at sugar control for as long as possible....which is all about doing more things that burn fat (like activity and sleeping) but also not doing the things that mean sugar control takes up more time (eg eating carbohydrates, snacking between meals, drinking alcohol).
The book goes into more detail, but thought I'd share my observation. The scientific educational journey has been a real upside of the condition for me - I find it fascinating.

I like that idea of burning fat! :D

It also makes me think of carnivorous animals. They seem to spend their time either actively -- hunting their protein-filled meals -- or sleeping off the meals and resting up for the next hunt. I don't know how many carbs there are in an antelope or a rabbit or chipmunk -- or how much fat, especially this time of year! -- but the activity-sleep-activity cycle seems to fit the fat-burning one.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today. Would like it lower. But it's not bad.

Today's bit of chat is that I'm out for lunch. I'm a member of my surgery's PPG and the doctors have invited us for an afternoon tea. I know, i know....hard to believe isnt it. Lots of sandwiches, scones, jams and cakes. It's a belated Xmas do. 10 of us in total. So thats 9 afternoon teas .....plus the awkward diabetic! Ive asked for a salad. Might just be a talking point. An opportunity to get on my orange box. I will have them all cornered (cackle cackle). I just have to keep repeating to myself 'Deb, let the Doctors enjoy their belated Xmas lunch!!!'. It won't be easy but I think I can do this!!!

Just debating what to wear. Maybe my avatar t-shirt ;-)
Ah, so the GP surgery is funding a lovely buffet of carbs - hope your salad does spark some conversation.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mind if I ask what your diet consists of? Assuming low carb, your creeping numbers seem consistent with what some people experience with excess protein. Usually very elastic and not always directly correlated with each individual meal. Some report rising numbers, some don’t. Just a thought :)
Hi Jim. Thanks for asking. I always either have a flaxseed muffin(3gcarbs?) or 1 slice HiLo toast (5g)with thick butter for breakfast.
On Sunday I had 2 high meat sausages and 2 fried eggs but then didnt eat till evening and had 3 chicken thighs and 2 tablespoons roasted med veg in evening.
Lunch yesterday was half carton Covent Garden classic chicken soup.
Supper: 3 high meat sausages and brocolli.
Lunch today tin mackrell and lettuce, 1 tomato, cucumber.
I no longer snack between meals and rarely have dessert but if I do it's Lo cal jelly pot or 2 squares Lindt 90%. Plenty of tea and water throughout the day.
I wondered if my two G&slimlineTs were a problem so have cut them back to Fri and Sat only. I ate a lot of cheese since Christmas but must admit too much cheese never makes my tummy feel great.