What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my doctor's appointment earlier this afternoon that I was so nervous about -- got very good results. Weight down, blood pressure down, A1C WAY down, from .4 last summer to .3 today (I used an online converter to translate these numbers from US measurement of 7.5 last summer to 5.8 today). Another site has it as .417 last summer and .322 today in mmol. Either way, I'm happy with it and so was my doctor. She also noticed how big my shirt had gotten since last summer. :) Now I'm just waiting to get the results of the blood work for cholesterol.

So I came home and played my first game of pool in 50+ years with some good coaching from a neighbor.

@jjraak I thought about you while I was at the doctor's because at one point between blood pressure check and blood draw I asked if I had time to go to the rest room and the assistant went to ask the doctor if she wanted a sample from me while I was in there. :D (She didn't.) ;)
Congratulations @SaskiaKC sounds like excellent numbers well done you - go girl

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back from the doctor.

Hba1c was 5.2, all my levels are good and the doctor was really pleased. I left her a lot of stuff about low carb and diabetes including from this site and diet doctor's guide for physicians and low carb.
Congratulations @Chronicle_Cat wonderful news for you and also great that you are getting the word out there to your dr too well done

Reactions: ziggy_w

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
5.8 today
Am currently reading Zoe Harcombe's The Diet Fix, which I acquired out of interest, not because I feel I need it. It is an interesting read and contains a bunch of recipes as well. I'm not promoting it, but thought I'd share a couple of observations:
What I've found most interesting so far is the science bit where she explains that the body is constantly doing one of two things - either dealing with excess sugar by converting it into fat (insulin activity), or burning fat to make fuel to replace used sugar (glucagon activity) - it can't do both at the same time.
So an approach to weight loss is to think about how you keep that switch pointing at fat burning, and not at sugar control for as long as possible....which is all about doing more things that burn fat (like activity and sleeping) but also not doing the things that mean sugar control takes up more time (eg eating carbohydrates, snacking between meals, drinking alcohol).
The book goes into more detail, but thought I'd share my observation. The scientific educational journey has been a real upside of the condition for me - I find it fascinating.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh poor fellow...are you tempted to keep him john?...something about that 'mournful' look that is so appealing...hope he's up & about soon.
we were, but we have been told to let him go. We have got the perfect family lined up for him, once he's healed up he will go to them. Will miss the big soft lump.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just an after thought my fbg was a bit of a surprise this morning as yesterday we spent a day in Lincoln with grandson on his birthday this involved a visit to Caffe Nero a toasted sandwich with a chai latte then later a latte and a toasted tea cake the size of a small dinner plate with jam at the Cathedral Centre not to mention the slice of birthday cake we also had.

Won't be repeating that for a long time.

So was quite pleased this morning to have a low fbg for the second day running.

Reactions: Emma_369

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an after thought my fbg was a bit of a surprise this morning as yesterday we spent a day in Lincoln with grandson on his birthday this involved a visit to Caffe Nero a toasted sandwich with a chai latte then later a latte and a toasted tea cake the size of a small dinner plate with jam at the Cathedral Centre not to mention the slice of birthday cake we also had.

Won't be repeating that for a long time.

So was quite pleased this morning to have a low fbg for the second day running.
Sounds like a great day and memories to treasure so all good. I do so hope the Bishop's swelling subsides soon.:angelic:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A request folks, has anybody taken a blood sugars reading while having a cramp attack ? I was awoken with a cramp attack in my calf muscle his morning and managed to take two readings twenty minutes apart 9.4 and then 9.9.
I have a theory as to why and just wondered if anyone else has performed the same test.

That nasty little steroid prednisolone causes my cramp attacks and having a slightly higher salt intake decreases the frequency of the attacks, please note that this works for me.

No off the wall comments from me today over Brexit, but my music teacher today will be suffering from harmony rapidly changing to disharmony hehehehe.
Have a good one folks.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today. Would like it lower. But it's not bad.

Today's bit of chat is that I'm out for lunch. I'm a member of my surgery's PPG and the doctors have invited us for an afternoon tea. I know, i know....hard to believe isnt it. Lots of sandwiches, scones, jams and cakes. It's a belated Xmas do. 10 of us in total. So thats 9 afternoon teas .....plus the awkward diabetic! Ive asked for a salad. Might just be a talking point. An opportunity to get on my orange box. I will have them all cornered (cackle cackle). I just have to keep repeating to myself 'Deb, let the Doctors enjoy their belated Xmas lunch!!!'. It won't be easy but I think I can do this!!!

Just debating what to wear. Maybe my avatar t-shirt ;-)

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we were, but we have been told to let him go. We have got the perfect family lined up for him, once he's healed up he will go to them. Will miss the big soft lump.
People have no idea what 'big soft lumps' they are john...Harry has the sweetest nature loves children...thinks every moment is playtime/meal time/sleepy time...what a fantastic thing it is you do...fostering is hard work but must be so rewarding.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Missed a couple of day. Away for the weekend and then busy catching up at work.

@SaskiaKC and @Chronicle_Cat -- Brilliant HbA1c results. Congrats and well-deserved.
@Bubbsie -- Glad that your INR results were within range and glad that you get a bit of break before your next test.
@jjraak -- Keeping my fingers crossed and am confident your blood test results will be great.

Fasting blood sugars for the last 5 days were 4.7, 5.2, 4.7, 4.7, and 5.0.

Have a great day everyone.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People have no idea what 'big soft lumps' they are john...Harry has the sweetest nature loves children...thinks every moment is playtime/meal time/sleepy time...what a fantastic thing it is you do...fostering is hard work but must be so rewarding.
It is hard work, heart breaking but rewarding at the same time! It never ceases to amaze me that some of the most abused bulldogs can still have the capacity to shower us with love. It is the least we can do, we have had the absolute honour of adopting three Bulldogs, Jacko, Charlie (gone to the rainbow bridge last year) and Trixie all from the Edward Foundation. I can honestly say it is the single most rewarding thing we have ever done.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is hard work, heart breaking but rewarding at the same time! It never ceases to amaze me that some of the most abused bulldogs can still have the capacity to shower us with love. It is the least we can do, we have had the absolute honour of adopting three Bulldogs, Jacko, Charlie (gone to the rainbow bridge last year) and Trixie all from the Edward Foundation. I can honestly say it is the single most rewarding thing we have ever done.
I've never heard of the foundation john...I'm going to have a look asap...I am honestly amazed that any abused animal has the capacity to trust again...it is heart breaking to see them broken spiritually & physically...how gratifying when they recover...going to have a look now.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we have had the absolute honour of adopting three Bulldogs, Jacko, Charlie (gone to the rainbow bridge last year) and Trixie all from the Edward Foundation.
Oh no shouldn't have looked...I'd love to have them all...that's not even a realistic possibility...Harry and I have made a donation...Edward is adorable.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's it...I'm coming back as a bulldog :wacky:
He's worth every minute of my time jjraak…we love him...even Churchill the cat!...his favourite things...driving...reading & of course sleeping!

Attachments

• Harry in car.jpg
    Harry in car.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Harry.jpg
    Harry.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Harry & Churchill latest.JPG
    Harry & Churchill latest.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 332