What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh i almost forgot the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:

(yep, i was shocked as well..dangerously low ...apparently..
but eating the correct way,
i'll soon get that back into the high 50's low 60's again.;) )
I marked this funny jjraak(only for the irony) however it's not funny at all...worrying...I didn't see your post on your HbA1c results...well done...staggering the amount of ignorance...I LCHF...some prefer moderate carbs...but the new guidelines for a T2 friendly diet do include bananas at a whooping 30 carbs for a medium one...starchy fruit and many more foodstuffs I wouldn't consider eating if I want to have reasonable control of my diabetes...p****s me off to hear such bad advice from yet another health care professional ( I use the term advisedly).

Last edited:

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning...up at 02:30 off to the bathroom...just settling back into when the cats claws came out (he wanted my attention)...caught me right on the sole of my foot...the little ******...not looking at him this morning...despite that rude awakening woke to a 5.6
I slept on the sofa for a few hours cos couldn't settle in bed and my cat decided to wake me by trying to sit on my head :joyful:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting that you mentioned the involuntary celibates. Unfortunately, in the west at least, society has brought up a couple of decades of offspring on a song called ”you are wonderful, deserving and can have anything that you want.” Unforunately they then fly the roost, depart from the Pinochio fun fair and life belts them over the head like a sledge hammer. Not really the thread for this I guess but hey ho.
IMHO that song has been playing on loop in UK for last 50+ years and is a big part of resistance to LC/attitude @Debandez encounters. Big dollop of "I deserve to eat anything I want, just give me the pills. I pay my taxes now fix me" Obviously, there is still the issue of NHS and media cf @Bubbsie's post but those recommendations may well represent huge changes for some people so could be the baby steps that lead to LC

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'don't confuse my medical degree with your Google'
My GP who when I asked him how much he knew about T2 said (honestly) "not much" then excitedly told me he had been asked to attend a course on T2...at my last review he seemed a little more knowledgeable...I said have you been on a course...he said smugly "yes it's called medical school"...I advised him I had been to law school and we both knew those institutions only taught us how to pass exams...nothing else until we got out into the real world...I accept I do not have his training or breadth of knowledge...however neither he nor the DSN who labelled me excessive for testing myBG know my diabetes as I do

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP who when I asked him how much he knew about T2 said (honestly) "not much" then excitedly told me he had been asked to attend a course on T2...at my last review he seemed a little more knowledgeable...I said have you been on a course...he said smugly "yes it's called medical school"...I advised him I had been to law school and we both knew those institutions only taught us how to pass exams...nothing else until we got out into the real world...I accept I do not have his training or breadth of knowledge...however neither he nor the DSN who labelled me excessive for testing myBG know my diabetes as I do
Love the idea that if you weigh yourself it is not excessive nor if asthmatics use a spirometer but apply that to glucose and it is excessive. Again, I seem lucky in that I have always been free to largely paddle my own canoe re managing this condition.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.he said smugly "yes it's called medical school"

I accept I do not have his training or breadth of knowledge...however neither he nor the DSN who labelled me excessive for testing myBG know my diabetes as I do

Haha..good for you @Bubbsie

i think i saw similar posted on @Debandez twitter and i paraphrase.

"don't confuse your 10 minutes googling with my 5 years at medical school"

"then don't confuse your 10 minutes with me to my 24/7, 365 day awareness of LIVING with T2D."

a nice riposte, and one i shall try and remember.

And @ianpspurs , couldn't agree more..
the " Crossing the road blindfold, everyday for LIFE", quote i read springs to mind..

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love the idea that if you weigh yourself it is not excessive nor if asthmatics use a spirometer but apply that to glucose and it is excessive. Again, I seem lucky in that I have always been free to largely paddle my own canoe re managing this condition.
Same here ian...at my first review my GP didn't notice my improvement from a FBG of 17.4 to 6.8 & wanted to increase my metformin to the maximum dosage...I refused that...wrote to him in no uncertain terms...from then onwards I have followed my own path with advice from forums...fellow diabetics & research.

Last edited:

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all.

I hope no one minds, but i feel i am among friends..
friends who share my fears, my desire, and who perhaps know a few more things about me perhaps,
then even those close to me do..

I've been 'off ' since tuesday.
moods just been 'odd'..if that makes sense..

As you may or may not know, i had my latest HBA1c check up on monday.
Oh, what a disaster....nothing seemed to go right...:sorry:

Anyway after two days of feeling like this, i ended up calling NHS Direct..
lovely lady answered, asked a few symptoms,
"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes
and a few personal details age, weight etc

She then ran through a few things that MAY be causing it, and then we hit the HBA1c tests on THAT monday.:bigtears:

She asked what i'd been eating, so i slowly told her, as she hummed, and ahhed, at each mention of my food week.
in the end i felt SO awful, i just broke down and rold her straight..I'M following the LCHF diet....agghh :woot::***:

i was stammering, felt myself going redder, and redder, i even started getting a little choked at the shame of it all

Bless her, she gave me a moment to compose myself..( very friendly if i'm honest.)

She then ran through the problems..my HBA1c was OFF the charts..she had rarely seen anything like it.

I know people have a negative attitude about the phone-lines, but she WAS a godsend.

She patiently explained in words a layman such as myself could easily understand.
"The clinics made a mistake, book another appointment asap" was here main gist.
(gone on line already, booked in for next tuesday, 11am )

She not only stayed on the line, she then told me a few things to do in the meantime to get my scores back to normal
for a person such as myself and at my age & bmi...:rolleyes:

I've not long hung up, So once i just stopping my legs from trembling so much, i'm off to tesco's to get some....

'White bread, jam, margarine, family packet of cornflakes, a bunch of bananas and 2 large pineapples for the fruit, low fat milk and yoghurts.
and then i'm off to find a greggs,
apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries/cakes highly recommended...( GP's eat them by the bucketload, according to @Debandez )

Oh i almost forgot the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:

Take care all.
love you all, so HUG the ones YOU love.. TODAY.:happy:

(go on, i KNOW you read it..Now go DO IT ..XXX )
Well done

Reactions: Goacher55

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Afternoon folks, late checking in, life got in the way.
Straight 7.0 for me this Morening.
Nice to proper democracy working in parliament and the evil, expense fiddling, self serving MP's doing their job for once. Now I wonder if they can do the rest of it.

Now folks enjoy the afternoon, Mrs J has me and the rest of me's fully supervised grrrr.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered if my two G&slimlineTs were a problem so have cut them back to Fri and Sat only. I ate a lot of cheese since Christmas but must admit too much cheese never makes my tummy feel great.

I fell foul of Fever Tree low cal tonic - it’s still 6g carbs per bottle! I now have gin with soda as recommended by @shelley262. Delicious - you can really taste the gin

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ziggy_w / @PenguinMum / @Bubbsie / @ianpspurs / @Emma_369 / @philchap1 / @karen8967 / @DJC3

and anyone i have missed, thank YOU all so much for the posts of congratulations

Truly would NOT be in this good a position, if it wasn't for you all..

Many thanks For the good advice, camaraderie at low points and that certain sense of 'Community'
that i was so sorely lacking in the loneliness of those early few weeks.

May your will never falter,
your posts inspire others &
your finger strike hard the keyboard
of 'FREEDOM'
Diabetes Guerilla 2018

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to post this morning, it was 6.2. Haven’t read all the posts that have built up in the meantime so will go back and do that now.
Congrats @jjraak I did spot your impressive results.
Hope everyone is having a good day. I’m stuck indoors waiting for an Amazon delivery of a new coffee machine. Wish it’d hurry up I’m desperate for coffee.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ziggy_w / @PenguinMum / @Bubbsie / @ianpspurs / @Emma_369 / @philchap1

and anyone i have missed, thank YOU all so much for the posts of congratulations

Truly would NOT be in this good a position, if it wasn't for you all..

Many thanks For the good advice, camaraderie at low points and that certain sense of 'Community'
that i was so sorely lacking in the loneliness of those early few weeks.

congrats jjraak very well done x

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I hope no one minds, but i feel i am among friends..
friends who share my fears, my desire, and who perhaps know a few more things about me perhaps,
then even those close to me do..

I've been 'off ' since tuesday.
moods just been 'odd'..if that makes sense..

As you may or may not know, i had my latest HBA1c check up on monday.
Oh, what a disaster....nothing seemed to go right...:sorry:

Anyway after two days of feeling like this, i ended up calling NHS Direct..
lovely lady answered, asked a few symptoms,
"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes
and a few personal details age, weight etc

She then ran through a few things that MAY be causing it, and then we hit the HBA1c tests on THAT monday.:bigtears:

She asked what i'd been eating, so i slowly told her, as she hummed, and ahhed, at each mention of my food week.
in the end i felt SO awful, i just broke down and rold her straight..I'M following the LCHF diet....agghh :woot::***:

i was stammering, felt myself going redder, and redder, i even started getting a little choked at the shame of it all

Bless her, she gave me a moment to compose myself..( very friendly if i'm honest.)

She then ran through the problems..my HBA1c was OFF the charts..she had rarely seen anything like it.

I know people have a negative attitude about the phone-lines, but she WAS a godsend.

She patiently explained in words a layman such as myself could easily understand.
"The clinics made a mistake, book another appointment asap" was here main gist.
(gone on line already, booked in for next tuesday, 11am )

She not only stayed on the line, she then told me a few things to do in the meantime to get my scores back to normal
for a person such as myself and at my age & bmi...:rolleyes:

I've not long hung up, So once i just stopping my legs from trembling so much, i'm off to tesco's to get some....

'White bread, jam, margarine, family packet of cornflakes, a bunch of bananas and 2 large pineapples for the fruit, low fat milk and yoghurts.
and then i'm off to find a greggs,
apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries/cakes highly recommended...( GP's eat them by the bucketload, according to @Debandez )

Take care all.
love you all, so HUG the ones YOU love.. TODAY.:happy:

(go on, i KNOW you read it..Now go DO IT ..XXX )
Congrats on your hbaca1 well done x

Reactions: HarryBeau
M

Member496333

Yay, @jjraak ! Congratulations! :) :) :)

Seconded. I meant to comment earlier but got sidetracked ranting about The Guardian :oops:

Well done fella. You’ve done a sterling job! I am absolutely certain that you’re over the moon, and so you should be. Taking back control of diabetes is uplifting and lifesaving. Keep it up and keep sharing. Your contributions are always informative and always friendly. You seem like a very amiable chap.

I don’t drink, but I’ll raise a glass of water :cool: