What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a very, very cold Notheast, which is still being windswept and interesting, a 5.8 greeted me after another sleepless night with Gabe the bulldog (he hates having the soft cone on but wont leave his eyes alone) hopefully only a couple more to go then we can go back to sleeping on a night!! (its over rated sleep)

Take care everyone.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Today is a 10.8 (still trying to be positive as it’s not a 12 or 14). However I didn’t eat any dinner last night so I’m guessing that played a large part in the decreased number....

Matilda in the west end was an amazing show! I would recommend for both children and adults alike.

Have a good day everyone!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
5.6 this am - good Friends 60th birthday party had fizz and nibbles lateish so up a bit from my normal. Friend had a display made about her and her 60th which used a wide range of chocolate bars and sweets at places instead of words - should have taken a photo! Her 60th survival hamper also had a big quantity of extra chocolate in it too. Looked like a large supply of chocolate is needed on gaining a certain age! Glad they didn’t offer party bags!
Hope everyone has a good day it looks bright and cold - good for getting out there.

BloodThirsty

I get them too if I don't take magnesium. (I had them long before I started low carb.) I've read that many Type 2s are deficient in magnesium, I don't know if that applies to Type 1 as well.

I take magnesium bisglycinate as it is absorbed better than other forms of magnesium. As well, doesn't make you run to the bathroom like other forms of magnesium (with 1/2 of a colon, I don't any any additional assistance in that area!).
Good call suggesting magnesium glycinate.

I take between 400 - 500 mgs per day in 2 divided doses and I haven't had a twinge of anything for yonks.
Magnesium is also, according to some peer reviewed literature, effective in helping regulate blood sugar and, most essentially, good for the ticker.

According to Dr Mildred Seelig, for optimum health we should be taking:
Weight (kgs) x 6.5 mgs = (in my own case):
73 kgs × 6.5 mgs =
475 mgs

Reactions: ziggy_w

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all just checking in as still On Tour. Sympathy with @Charis1213 for pain and the cramp sufferers @alf_Josiah and @JohnEGreen. Also picking up on the medical advice out there, I am sure I have an external oblique muscle strain ( painful and can't even put socks on) but NHS direct seems certain I have failing kidneys and may not last the day - December bloods were said to be very good. Lots of tea, Naproxen and very high fibre food for a few days. Play nice chums and chumettes.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, a 6.6 for me after a brilliant day yesterday of 5.0's. The IF must be helping the lower daytime levels. Just wish I could see them in the morning too....still another 16/8 today minimum for me as I'm not even thinking about food now

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good call suggesting magnesium glycinate.

I take between 400 - 500 mgs per day in 2 divided doses and I haven't had a twinge of anything for yonks.
Magnesium is also, according to some peer reviewed literature, effective in helping regulate blood sugar and, most essentially, good for the ticker.

According to Dr Mildred Seelig, for optimum health we should be taking:
Weight (kgs) x 6.5 mgs = (in my own case):
73 kgs × 6.5 mgs =
475 mgs
Unfortunately not for me.

"Magnesium is known to act at the neuromuscular junction by inhibiting the presynaptic release of acetylcholine and desensitizing the postsynaptic membrane. Because of these effects, magnesium has been postulated to potentiate neuromuscular weakness."

"We conclude that routine Mg-replacement protocols might be inappropriate in the treatment of patients who have myasthenia gravis and in other patients who have borderline respiratory function."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4591897/

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, a 6.6 for me after a brilliant day yesterday of 5.0's. The IF must be helping the lower daytime levels. Just wish I could see them in the morning too....still another 16/8 today minimum for me as I'm not even thinking about food now
@AngiH doubtless many others will have already told you how fbg can be much slower to come down than other readings/times. You are doing all the right things and making excellent progress so Carry on Regardless:angelic:

Last edited:
Reactions: AngiH

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Fasting blood sugars were 4.9 today.

@Debandez -- I thought the salad looked a lot better than all this cake. Well done for promoting the lc woe.
@SaskiaKC -- Hugs. Have you been losing weight lately? This can temporarily increase your cholesterol, especially your LDL. Also very little of the cholesterol we eat, ends up as cholesterol in the blood. The body mostly makes its own cholesterol. Did you have a look at @bulkbiker's thread? It has lots of really good information on cholesterol.
@BloodThirsty and @Chronicle_Cat -- I also take magnesium glycinate (though only 100mg per day) and agree it is much more effective than the one I had before.

Have a great day all.

Last edited:

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@AngiH doubtless many others will have already told you how fbg can be much slower to come own than other readings/times. You are doing all the right things and making excellent progress so Carry on Regardless:angelic:
Thank you, yes I am sure they are still hiding at the mo and with low 5's for the last 3 days in the daytime and a 9lb weight loss in 13 days it's all moving in the right direction.

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Morning. This morning on waking I was 8.4 by the time I'd gone down for my cuppa it was 10.4!! When I went to bed it was 5.4. I am 4 days into using the Libre sensor and my levels through the day have been between 5 and 6 which is fine for me. I eat under 20g of carbs per day and don't usually eat after 8.30pm and I take my Lantus and Metformin before bed, usually about 10.30pm. I am not having night hypos either. I have increased my nightime Lantus by 2 units last night but still high this morning. I'm nervous of taking insulin in case it plummets later and I will have to eat carbs. Any advice guys. I've done some online reading and apart from eating some cheese or drinking some vinegar before bed there doesn't seem to be any info. Cheers.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with @Chronicle_Cat on this one @Debandez ..

with you taking the lead and posting back the reports of each one of your meetings,
we're gonna NEED a SAD emoji......along with a SHOCKED, & INCREDULOUS one as well..LoL.

And im not sure the current '***,' one IS really up to the job,
if that's the standards (and we know..that THAT, right there, is the tip of the 'i'll be ok' iceberg) you'll be hoping to traverse.

At my desmonds i gave everyone the address of this forum, i gave everyone my username to get in touch, i made them snap it so there would be no confusion or so they could decide later and would still of had the details...and so far it's been Zip.

I'd love to have had them all back for another round of chat to see how we are coping.
( i'd lay good money that 3 months in i was the one doing the best out of all of us.)
hate to think where so many might be in a year or twos time....how we needed someone like you..

What about a 'speechless' one! That will be the permanent state I'm going to be in! And as you know that is alien to me!!

I love the idea of giving DCUK and other details on a little card. A business card, we mean business!!! I'm going to order from eBay today in fact! Hubby started on the visuals last night. I just have a few bits to do before i wade in and start pulling it all together. Obviously with all the help I can get from wonderful forum members. What a team!