What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I feel your pain.

Here is an emergency kit. Wish I could drop it off at your place to tide you over. :D

Instant-Coffee-vs-Brewed-Coffee-Appliances-Repair.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.1 this morning.

I have just figured out what my 2019 New Year's resolution can be -- figuring out how to eat for lower BG and cholesterol. If I were 40 years younger I would go back to school to research the connection because all I can see now is a vicious circle. Eat to my meter, raise my cholesterol. Eat to a nonexistent cholesterol meter, raise my FBG.

I have ridden a number of vicious circles while schooling dressage, circles that looked more like eggs, or octagons, or -- as one trainer used to observe -- amoebas. But those were rounded out by having a knowledgeable if not always cooperative partner literally supporting me.

All these months trying to eat more like the Kittencat paid off in one good blood test and one bad. I wish I could invent canned meals, just pop the top and nuke. "Diabetic Formula 101.2" etc.

:D

BloodThirsty

Unfortunately not for me.

"Magnesium is known to act at the neuromuscular junction by inhibiting the presynaptic release of acetylcholine and desensitizing the postsynaptic membrane. Because of these effects, magnesium has been postulated to potentiate neuromuscular weakness."

"We conclude that routine Mg-replacement protocols might be inappropriate in the treatment of patients who have myasthenia gravis and in other patients who have borderline respiratory function."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4591897/
Nicely winkled out but myasthenia gravis is a RARE long-term neuromuscular condition leading to skeletal muscle weakness.

I do not wish to protesteth too much but referencing this particular paper is tantamount to suggesting that people shouldn't eat sesame seeds because an allergic reaction might kill them.

There is so much literature concerning the benefits of magnesium for joint pain and arthritis that to choose a seminal paper would be difficult.

However, when it comes to insulin control in diabetes, the first paper that came to hand was: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8054257

BTW if you are personally suffering from myasthenia gravis I humbly prostrate myself and beg your forgiveness.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fell foul of Fever Tree low cal tonic - it’s still 6g carbs per bottle! I now have gin with soda as recommended by @shelley262. Delicious - you can really taste the gin
I know there isnt a pub anywhere round my way selling anything else though I had a chat with the owner of our favourite pub about it recently and he told me he keeps a few bottles of zero cal zero carb tonic because a few of his old boys are diabetic but you have to ask. Its not the well known one I can buy in the supermarket. I hav tried soda but not quite the same for me.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Nicely winkled out but myasthenia gravis is a RARE long-term neuromuscular condition leading to skeletal muscle weakness.

I do not wish to protesteth too much but referencing this particular paper is tantamount to suggesting that people shouldn't eat sesame seeds because an allergic reaction might kill them.

There is so much literature concerning the benefits of magnesium for joint pain and arthritis that to choose a seminal paper would be difficult.

However, when it comes to insulin control in diabetes, the first paper that came to hand was: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8054257

BTW if you are personally suffering from myasthenia gravis I humbly prostrate myself and beg your forgiveness.

Err the reason I am diabetic is because of the medication I have been taking for many years because as rare as it is I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis about 17 years ago so when I say it is not for me that was precisely what I meant.

I was merely trying to explain why.

People who are allergic to sesame seeds indeed should not eat them as you say.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there isnt a pub anywhere round my way selling anything else though I had a chat with the owner of our favourite pub about it recently and he told me he keeps a few bottles of zero cal zero carb tonic because a few of his old boys are diabetic but you have to ask. Its not the well known one I can buy in the supermarket. I hav tried soda but not quite the same for me.

Sounds like a lovely pub if the Landlord looks after his diabetic patrons like that.
I didn’t like the soda first time, but have lots of ice and a slice of orange or cucumber and I find it really refreshing now.

Reactions: HarryBeau

BloodThirsty

Err the reason I am diabetic is because of the medication I have been taking for many years because as rare as it is I was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis about 17 years ago so when I say it is not for me that was precisely what I meant.

I was merely trying to explain why.

People who are allergic to sesame seeds indeed should not eat them as you say.

Oh my dear Sir, grovel, grovel... please accept my humble apology, grovel, grovel... may I get up now please?

Reactions: karen8967

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Morning all, a 6.6 for me after a brilliant day yesterday of 5.0's. The IF must be helping the lower daytime levels. Just wish I could see them in the morning too....still another 16/8 today minimum for me as I'm not even thinking about food now
It will come, you get better and better over time.

Reactions: AngiH and HarryBeau

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great result, well done and all the changes and hard work have paid off. (just the problem of football team you support now) :angelic:
You are so funny! I'm not being funny (not as funny as you anyway!) But your way with words is second to non. You could write scripts for comedians! Looking forward to your next posts. They make me laugh.

Any way getting back to your hba1c. I would say Greggs meat and potato pasty is the way forward!!!!! That poor DN won't worry if you get a few of them under your belt appatently. Your belt might!!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would say Greggs meat and potato pasty is the way forward!!!!!
As they are basically inedible I would agree the only way they can affect your blood sugars is from the stress suffered from the disappointment of the first mouthful and having to search for a bin to deposit in.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all
5.6 this am - good Friends 60th birthday party had fizz and nibbles lateish so up a bit from my normal. Friend had a display made about her and her 60th which used a wide range of chocolate bars and sweets at places instead of words - should have taken a photo! Her 60th survival hamper also had a big quantity of extra chocolate in it too. Looked like a large supply of chocolate is needed on gaining a certain age! Glad they didn’t offer party bags!
Hope everyone has a good day it looks bright and cold - good for getting out there.
An excellent fbs following that!!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As they are basically inedible I would agree the only way they can affect your blood sugars is from the stress suffered from the disappointment of the first mouthful and having to search for a bin to deposit in.
Who is Gregg?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

I hope no one minds, but i feel i am among friends..
friends who share my fears, my desire, and who perhaps know a few more things about me perhaps,
then even those close to me do..

I've been 'off ' since tuesday.
moods just been 'odd'..if that makes sense..

As you may or may not know, i had my latest HBA1c check up on monday.
Oh, what a disaster....nothing seemed to go right...:sorry:

Anyway after two days of feeling like this, i ended up calling NHS Direct..
lovely lady answered, asked a few symptoms,
"Diabetic '..yes
"Type 2 ' Yes
'Confusion.? '.yes
'Mood swing ?' yes
and a few personal details age, weight etc

She then ran through a few things that MAY be causing it, and then we hit the HBA1c tests on THAT monday.:bigtears:

She asked what i'd been eating, so i slowly told her, as she hummed, and ahhed, at each mention of my food week.
in the end i felt SO awful, i just broke down and rold her straight..I'M following the LCHF diet....agghh :woot::***:

i was stammering, felt myself going redder, and redder, i even started getting a little choked at the shame of it all

Bless her, she gave me a moment to compose myself..( very friendly if i'm honest.)

She then ran through the problems..my HBA1c was OFF the charts..she had rarely seen anything like it.

I know people have a negative attitude about the phone-lines, but she WAS a godsend.

She patiently explained in words a layman such as myself could easily understand.
"The clinics made a mistake, book another appointment asap" was here main gist.
(gone on line already, booked in for next tuesday, 11am )

She not only stayed on the line, she then told me a few things to do in the meantime to get my scores back to normal
for a person such as myself and at my age & bmi...:rolleyes:

I've not long hung up, So once i just stopping my legs from trembling so much, i'm off to tesco's to get some....

'White bread, jam, margarine, family packet of cornflakes, a bunch of bananas and 2 large pineapples for the fruit, low fat milk and yoghurts.
and then i'm off to find a greggs,
apparently (i didn't really understand it all o_O ), but i'm missing a lot of starch in my diet.
pastries/cakes highly recommended...( GP's eat them by the bucketload, according to @Debandez )

Oh i almost forgot the HBA1c score...a jaw dropping, shock inducing 42....:wideyed:

(yep, i was shocked as well..dangerously low ...apparently..
but eating the correct way,
i'll soon get that back into the high 50's low 60's again.;) )

Take care all.
love you all, so HUG the ones YOU love.. TODAY.:happy:

(go on, i KNOW you read it..Now go DO IT ..XXX )
Another brilliant post!!! Giggling all the way through....I'm sure it was meant to be serious though!!!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w / @PenguinMum / @Bubbsie / @ianpspurs / @Emma_369 / @philchap1 / @karen8967 / @DJC3

and anyone i have missed, thank YOU all so much for the posts of congratulations

Truly would NOT be in this good a position, if it wasn't for you all..

Many thanks For the good advice, camaraderie at low points and that certain sense of 'Community'
that i was so sorely lacking in the loneliness of those early few weeks.

Diabetes Guerilla 2018

Need to see my name in lights!!!! Not cos ive supported you, no, just cos i love it ;-)