What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Fasting blood sugars today were 4.9.

Was quite hungry late last night, tested blood sugars, result 5.5. Had a bit of chicken liver pate (about 2 teaspoons) and blood sugars dropped to 4.9 about 10 minutes later. (I know this is within measurement error for meters, but this is not the first time I've seen this drop.) Seems I don't do well with fasting -- maybe the effect of stress?

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and those who are short on time and long on tasks.
Today a 5.3 and yesterday a 6.1

Well folks it's all go here and the sanity has already gone, slipped out earlier muttering something about Monday and needing koffy.
Have a good time folks and enjoy yourselves as much as you can, I will be and shhhh being unsupervised..........hehe hehe

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.7 today

seems to be a 'wet and windy' theme to this Monday morning ;)

@ianpspurs - sentient being? moi? :hilarious: my sponge is mainly based on ground flax seed and coconut flour, together with other ingredients depending on the variety I'm making, sounds a bit weird when you read the ingredients and method but it works, keeps well in a box in the fridge and mr. gee and his mum have both been known to enjoy it too ;) I usually make small cake bars, next version I'm going to try is a carrot cake version.

Hope your Monday treats you well :)
That combination sounds doable for the food fairy. Anything largely based on flaxseed is good by me and coconut flour is, weirdly, 1 of the 2 ways I can live with coconut. Ratios etc would be helpful if it is a @geefull unique recipe or a link to the original. Sponge is one of the desserts I can "understand". Never could find any love for steamed puddings, dumplings etc - what are they all about?:bigtears:

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tucking into a Apple now and reading at 8.00 this morning is 6.5. Last night it was 6.2 before bed and 6.1 yesterday morning.

Weather is nice today here and a walk to supermarket at dinner time for weekly shopping .

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning, 11.7 today. Perhaps I’m still getting over this weekends crazy numbers?

Have a nice day everyone!
Tested again 3 hours later after eating breakfast and walking and levels now 12.1....

I wondered has anyone else been advised not to skip meals? When I told my DSN Last week I was skipping some meals if I was particularly high she told me to stop that immediately. Do you think this is perhaps because I am on insulin?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tucking into a Apple now and reading at 8.00 this morning is 6.5. Last night it was 6.2 before bed and 6.1 yesterday morning.

Weather is nice today here and a walk to supermarket at dinner time for weekly shopping .

welcome @PeterHud

i used to love an apple...now they spike me too much..can manage maybe a half of one, but that just seems so wasteful.
Looked at your other posts..that was a rough intro to type 1 life..:wideyed:

glad to see you are finding your feet..great community spirit on here, whatever part of the metabolic syndrome compass you head in from..:)

For me, the FBG was an acceptable 5.4..
thought it might be higher..seemed to be very stressed out yesterday evening, for no particular reason.
still slightly anxious this morning..will try to work it out and shake it off today at work.

Breakfast..2 poached eggs and the remains of last night peri peri chicken..food rebel to the core, me..(apple joke ;) )...

and i just spotted the NEW DAYS of the WEEK..2019

days of the week.png

Have a good un, all.:D

Last edited:

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Tested again 3 hours later after eating breakfast and walking and levels now 12.1....

I wondered has anyone else been advised not to skip meals? When I told my DSN Last week I was skipping some meals if I was particularly high she told me to stop that immediately. Do you think this is perhaps because I am on insulin?

I'm not in a position to give advice , but I am wondering about your diet and medications diabetic and non diabetic. Do you keep a food diary?
As for skipping meals, their is a lot to said for only eating when you are hungry, please note I am not advocating fasting. This brings us on to activity I maintain a help is keeping moving, it certainly helps me.
Quantum mechanics is easy compared to managing diabetes and I wish you luck.
Now my brain hurts .

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not in a position to give advice , but I am wondering about your diet and medications diabetic and non diabetic. Do you keep a food diary?
As for skipping meals, their is a lot to said for only eating when you are hungry, please note I am not advocating fasting. This brings us on to activity I maintain a help is keeping moving, it certainly helps me.
Quantum mechanics is easy compared to managing diabetes and I wish you luck.
Now my brain hurts .
Hiya,

Yes I try to eat low carb but when I saw he DSN and said I was eating 50g that it was too low. I do keep a food diary - I’ve been using the MySugr app which I find incredibly helpful as It syncs to my steps and I can defiantly see a pattern of walking and blood sugars going down which is good.

Tested after my afternoon walk and now on 9 so it is defiantly going down :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome, apples eh! We have loads when in season but I just make apple sauce with them for Mrs Miggins and guests.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya,

Yes I try to eat low carb but when I saw he DSN and said I was eating 50g that it was too low. I do keep a food diary - I’ve been using the MySugr app which I find incredibly helpful as It syncs to my steps and I can defiantly see a pattern of walking and blood sugars going down which is good.

Tested after my afternoon walk and now on 9 so it is defiantly going down :)
Heard that from my DSN. I guess they are just spouting out the current party line. I began ignoring mine over two years ago, tell her nothing, nod meaningfully at the appropritate time and just get on with managing my body on my terms. Seems to work.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, I didn’t know that but we seem to have a few. Good job it’s not triplets or more.

Two of my cousins are fraternal twins (boy and girl) but come to think of it, as far as I have found out in my genealogy research, none of the their grandparents were. Hmm ... now you've got me wanting to go do more genealogy research! :)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,
4.9 for me.

It is warm here, almost tropical after the deep freeze and we are getting a thaw - currently 9 celcius (48f). I'm going for a nice walk shortly with a lighter coat & boots.

@SB.25 I assume you were told not to fast because you are on insulin and as well, you may be Type 1. Although fasting can be a useful tool for some Type 2s wanting to lower blood glucose, it isn't for everyone. People who take insulin and Type 1s can get hypos if they fast. Hypos are not an issue for many Type 2s especially diet only Type 2s like me. Some (not all) Type 2s find it helpful, it seems to help reduce insulin resistance Personally I find fasting a useful tool for both lower blood glucose and weight loss. It seems to help "reset" my levels if they start trending upwards. I do both intermittent and longer fasts for this reason.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all,
4.9 for me.

It is warm here, almost tropical after the deep freeze and we are getting a thaw - currently 9 celcius (48f). I'm going for a nice walk shortly with a lighter coat & boots.

@SB.25 I assume you were told not to fast because you are on insulin and as well, you may be Type 1. Although fasting can be a useful tool for some Type 2s wanting to lower blood glucose, it isn't for everyone. People who take insulin and Type 1s can get hypos if they fast. Hypos are not an issue for many Type 2s especially diet only Type 2s like me. Some (not all) Type 2s find it helpful, it seems to help reduce insulin resistance Personally I find fasting a useful tool for both lower blood glucose and weight loss. It seems to help "reset" my levels if they start trending upwards. I do both intermittent and longer fasts for this reason.
Hey! Yes perhaps that is why. My appointment is wth my consultant next week so fingers crossed will get some more answers then!! :)