What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning, all.

Thanks for your wonderful support re my blood test @ianpspurs, @Bubbsie, @DJC3 and @PenguinMum.

Glad that they are done with now -- have to admit was a bit stressed and blood sugars were all over the place (ranging from 3.7 to 6.1 all within a matter of half an hour on an empty stomach -- readings are accurate because I tested three times each) -- makes you wonder how informative fasting levels really are. Does any one else have huge swings in blood sugar due to stress?

Today, fasting blood sugars were 4.8.

@ianpspurs -- Happy that Julie is doing better. Hope the upward trend continues.
@Bubbsie -- Good luck with your INR test, hope it is within range. Hope your cold gets better soon.
@karen8967 -- Have a great first day at your new job. Hope you come to love it as much as your previous job.
@rhubarb73 -- You have my sincere and utter admiration -- Could never do what you did.
@Patrick66 -- Congrats on your great HbA1c test result. Absolutely well done. I also find that right after exercise, my blood sugars are usually raised (but not always), but as a rule they tend to drop massively within the next hour.

Have a great day, everyone.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your INR test, hope it is within range. Hope your cold gets better soon.
Thanks Ziggy...INR a little too high so back there next week...it could be worse much easier to get the levels down than get them up...as for FBG for me it's just a guide to how my BG's are throughout that day...something for me to work on...oddly enough I find when I haven't had any breakfast or eaten much at all my numbers go up!

Reactions: jjraak and ziggy_w

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. 8.6 at 8.55am. Bed early, no supper but another stressful day yesterday. Finally succeeded in getting mum's hearing aids fitted following her hearing test on November 12th! Yeh! :singing:but such a struggle and many fraught phone calls involved.:banghead:Have a good day one and all.:)

I remember the struggle trying to convince Mama to even consider hearing aids. SO expensive! But the stress of her not being able to hear us -- on her AND us -- ack. :( My friend in Michigan was finally able to get a pair through his daughter who is a health-care worker. I'm glad you were finally successful with your mum's. Yay!

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning peeps, 5.3 on the testing dice and what looks like the start of a lovely day, I think I'd sooner be in Goa though.

Weather-wise it sounds just like the Alabama Gulf Coast. Change "rupees" to "dollars" and you've got a local car commercial too. ;)

Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I remember the struggle trying to convince Mama to even consider hearing aids. SO expensive! But the stress of her not being able to hear us -- on her AND us -- ack. :( My friend in Michigan was finally able to get a pair through his daughter who is a health-care worker. I'm glad you were finally successful with your mum's. Yay!
Thanks, SaskiaKC. It was a mixture of appointment cancellations by ENT and poor communications between services that held things up for so long -followed by confusion and mixed messages from different branches of the same hearing aid service provider. In the meantime as you say communication with mum, who also has Alzheimer's, was really stressful. Getting mum to leave the house for her appointment yesterday was an ordeal as she becomes so anxious but it was worth it in the end. It was wonderful this morning to be able to have a proper, if limited, chat with mum.:singing:

Reactions: geefull

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
6.2, when I woke up, 8.4 after being awake in bed....17.5 after having the nerve to leave my bed and walk around. Rude Dawn Phenomenon. Rude indeed.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ziggy...INR a little too high so back there next week...it could be worse much easier to get the levels down than get them up...as for FBG for me it's just a guide to how my BG's are throughout that day...something for me to work on...oddly enough I find when I haven't had any breakfast or eaten much at all my numbers go up!
I’m the same Bubbsie as regards BG so I eat one slice HiLo toast with butter which seems to help. If I dont have breakfast my numbers rise and rise. I just cant face anything else to eat at that time of day. Hope the INR comes down is it because you have a cold?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m the same Bubbsie as regards BG so I eat one slice HiLo toast with butter which seems to help. If I dont have breakfast my numbers rise and rise. I just cant face anything else to eat at that time of day. Hope the INR comes down is it because you have a cold?
Same here PM I need to have a little something to eat first thing...the Warfarin is really difficult to manage...anything seems to upset it...could be the cold (although it's just a mild sniffle)...there's no telling what will 'upset' it...I'm hopeful it will come down by next week...fingers crossed.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to a BuzzFeed quiz, Where Exactly in Canada Are You From? -- I am from Quebec! ????? lol

I guess it got confused since I'm not from anywhere in Canada (my mother was born in Nova Scotia but I've never been there -- yet). Here is a link if you would like to test it, @Chronicle_Cat or anyone else just to see where in Canada it thinks you're from.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/katangus/quiz-canada-location

I just took this quiz. I was born and raised in Ontario (Dad is from Nova Scotia - Pictou county, less than 10 miles where the Scots first landed), Mom is from Iowa, USA). Ironically many people have told me I have an American (midwestern) accent because of my mom.

According to the quiz, I'm from Nova Scotia (my dad's influence) even though I said "notebook" not "scribbler". When I was a kid, I used to be insulted when my dad called it a "scribbler" because I wrote in it and didn't scribble! It did not ask about "runners" (Nova Scotia) vs "runnning shoes" (Ontario).

The other thing is it didn't ask about was word order/sentence structure. When I first visited Scotland, I noticed that although the accent was different, Nova Scotians use the same word order/sentence structures as Scots (the reverse of Ontario and most of North America.) .ie standard word order: "Are you going to the store?" their word order "Going to the store, are you?" I use the standard word order although when I've visited Scotland a number of years ago several times , I found I picked up their word order without trying (never been to England or Wales yet, just Scotland). BTW Nova Scotia is beautiful especially by the sea and the Cabot trail. It looks like the Scottish highlands too but with more trees.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
6.3 Tuesday morning. I've got about 3 weeks to go on my experiment of trying to eat for cholesterol as well as blood glucose.
....oh do let us know how you are getting on - I'm doing a bit of that now...... ( I swopped out some fats for veggie stuff and added in some supplements - all of which is also having good effects on my fbg.)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just took this quiz. I was born and raised in Ontario (Dad is from Nova Scotia - Pictou county, less than 10 miles where the Scots first landed), Mom is from Iowa, USA). Ironically many people have told me I have an American (midwestern) accent because of my mom.

According to the quiz, I'm from Nova Scotia (my dad's influence) even though I said "notebook" not "scribbler". When I was a kid, I used to be insulted when my dad called it a "scribbler" because I wrote in it and didn't scribble! It did not ask about "runners" (Nova Scotia) vs "runnning shoes" (Ontario).

The other thing is it didn't ask about was word order/sentence structure. When I first visited Scotland, I noticed that although the accent was different, Nova Scotians use the same word order/sentence structures as Scots (the reverse of Ontario and most of North America.) .ie standard word order: "Are you going to the store?" their word order "Going to the store, are you?" I use the standard word order although when I've visited Scotland a number of years ago several times , I found I picked up their word order without trying (never been to England or Wales yet, just Scotland). BTW Nova Scotia is beautiful especially by the sea and the Cabot trail. It looks like the Scottish highlands too but with more trees.

Good news about the snow and ice.

I've noticed that same word order in some English novels I've read. I've also read books in which a Welshman might end a similar sentence with "is it?" instead of "are you?" but I don't remember which books or who wrote them. Maybe Mollie Hardwick?

I think my accent is partly Midwestern American too, because of my mother, although I was born and raised right here in Georgia. I can do a more Southern accent when I want to (or even subconsciously depending on where I am and who I'm talking with). I've found when I live in Alabama my Southern accent kicks in a bit more.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news about the snow and ice.

I've noticed that same word order in some English novels I've read. I've also read books in which a Welshman might end a similar sentence with "is it?" instead of "are you?" but I don't remember which books or who wrote them. Maybe Mollie Hardwick?

I think my accent is partly Midwestern American too, because of my mother, although I was born and raised right here in Georgia. I can do a more Southern accent when I want to (or even subconsciously depending on where I am and who I'm talking with). I've found when I live in Alabama my Southern accent kicks in a bit more.
I just lean on gates, chew straw and go oooo rrrrr. All rural English types talk that way.

Reactions: Cumberland

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Folks. Been off thread for a few days. Been on a bender actually. I can't have one drink. It's either no drink or the whole bottle.

Lots of stress. My nephew is coming to the UK from Canada and we have yacht sailing planned, on my boat, South Coast to France. My fresh water tank was leaking. Plus some other yachtee stuff. But, I seem to have fixed these issues, touch wood!

Alcohol is a powerful force. I used to work for a brewery. It is not so easy to say adios. Placing this alongside diabetes T2 gives me extra challenge.

I know that many people on this forum have their own issues. I think we need to be motivated by Winston Churchill who said "Let Us move Forward Together".