What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

charlie000

Finished eating at 12:30 (19/04/19) - yesterday

So my no food, liquid only fast started then. I checked my glucose two hours after eating at 15:00, it was at 5.2mmol!

My meal/lunch was:

4 Salmon fillets
Marinated in East End crushed chilli, butter ghee coated, lemon juice - Added pepper & salt after cooking
Fried in a pan using East End Pure Butter Ghee:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-oils/east-end-pure-butter-ghee-for-cooking/910002823480
Feta cheese
Lurpak butter

On a 24 hour fast so next meal around 1pm today possibly 2pm

Went to bed with it at 4.4mmol at 10.34pm last night

Just checked my glucose it’s at 4.5mmol

I’m not official diagnosed diabetic I think I’m pre diabetic and no medication

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw this about cholesterol ratios:

"To calculate your cholesterol ratio, divide your total cholesterolnumber by your HDL cholesterol number. So if your total cholesterolis 200 mg/dL (5.2 mmol/L) and your HDL is 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L), your ratio would be 4-to-1."

I realize that 200 divided by 50 is 4, but I have no idea where the "to-1" part comes in.
You just put your individual numbers into the boxes...HDL...LDL then triglycerides and it will tell you whether those elements are optimum...good or you are at risk...I'd suggest you have a read up on Cholesterol it'll make it easier to understand.

charlie000

4.9 this morning. Now I know that I am in the 4s overnight I don't mind seeing 5s in the morning - but it does cheer me up no end to see a reading in the 4s in the morning.

After the 5 hour shopping trip marathon I put my husband through I suggested he choose what we do over Easter. He has chosen a water garden one day and National Trust Parkland for the other. Both are my favourite places so am really looking forward to it.
What type of diabetic are you and what medication do you take

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all.
I knocked my wheel of wonderment off my arm as I staggered to the bathroom at early o’clock this morning - the Twins had escaped from their room and were busing themselves organising a breakout from the safety gate, encouraged by their four year old sister with cries of.”you only need to blow the bl**dy door off”. Not the reason for the wheel coming off - just me being clumsy and thinking that I could, in a semi dazed state, push all the molecules of my body through several layers of gloss paint and the wooden door frame hidden inside.
So, a finger prick test, revealing a 5.5.

Later, tea, nappy changes, breakfast, koffy.

They are all going off with Mrs Miggins to the caravan for the weekend, being joined later by two more minions.
I shall check the tyre pressures on my motorcycle and then decide what I want to do.
Unfortunately its Easter weekend and the roads will be full of holiday goers, all being miffed that someone else is in the way.
Might just walk into town, have a fry up and then walk back.
Sounds like a plan

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw this about cholesterol ratios:

"To calculate your cholesterol ratio, divide your total cholesterolnumber by your HDL cholesterol number. So if your total cholesterolis 200 mg/dL (5.2 mmol/L) and your HDL is 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L), your ratio would be 4-to-1."

I realize that 200 divided by 50 is 4, but I have no idea where the "to-1" part comes in.

That ONE is the Ratio.
just like racing odds..it's the marker of how well (the odds ) are in your favour.

optimum ratios won't necessarily be i to 1..(evens ;))
but more like a recipe of 4 to 1 of water to flour perhaps.

hth's :)

that hughs calc link expresses the information so much better, once you get over the DANGER warning for the individual scores.
the ratios make much better sense.

Got mine down from very high risks, to ideal and good, with one to work on that still not there yet..( but will be soon.;) )

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...not long up & sipping on my first coffee with full sunshine streaming through the windows...had my lovely neighbours (and friends) for dinner last night...great evening food & prosecco...laughing combined with good conversation...I may have stretched my tolerance with the roasties & Yorkshire puddings...woke to a 6.2

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you :)
ingredients (make about 10 muffins):
2 eggs
Equivalent of 100 g of sugar (I used 8 tbsp. splenda)
4 tbsp. melted butter
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
240g almond flour (or ground almond)
150g fresh blueberries
2 tbsp. milk

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Mix dry ingredients (almond flour, lemon zest, sea salt, baking powder and fructose) together.
3. Add wet ingredients (eggs, milk, vanilla extract, butter) and mix well together.
4. Add blueberries and fold in gently.
5. Divide the batter into muffin cups. The batter is quite firm so you will need to use a little spoon to level the batter nicely. The muffin cups should be filled to the top as the batter doesn’t rise much.
6. Bake about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on the top.

Carbs 4.8 per muffin Calories 217 per muffin

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 today so slightly higher. Reason = i had more food yesterday (unusual hungry day) and ate dinner late due to having had such a busy day (8ish).

Excited to see @shelley262 in the Daily Mail today in the Dr Unwin article. You look absolutely amazing. So radiant, healthy and happy. Great series thats been (all available online still through Daily Mail link). Here is today's link:

https://mol.im/a/6938665

Today I'm trying to contain my excitement til I've done all my jobs. Off on our jolies to sunnier climates later today. Or not as it looks like the case may be. Only I could go all the way to the canary islands and get unsettled weather. Going to be hotter here. Always happens to me. Drove all the way to Tuscany a couple of years ago. Massive heavy cloud overhead as soon as I stepped out of my front door until I arrived back home 2 weeks later. Still, looking forward to some nice r and r.

Have a Good Friday everyone (quite literally)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ngredients (make about 10 muffins):
2 eggs
Equivalent of 100 g of sugar (I used 8 tbsp. splenda)
4 tbsp. melted butter
¾ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
240g almond flour (or ground almond)
150g fresh blueberries
2 tbsp. milk

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Mix dry ingredients (almond flour, lemon zest, sea salt, baking powder and fructose) together.
3. Add wet ingredients (eggs, milk, vanilla extract, butter) and mix well together.
4. Add blueberries and fold in gently.
5. Divide the batter into muffin cups. The batter is quite firm so you will need to use a little spoon to level the batter nicely. The muffin cups should be filled to the top as the batter doesn’t rise much.
6. Bake about 20-25 minutes until lightly browned on the top.

Carbs 4.8 per muffin Calories 217 per muffin
Thank you @Bubbsie

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 today so slightly higher. Reason = i had more food yesterday (unusual hungry day) and ate dinner late due to having had such a busy day (8ish).

Excited to see @shelley262 in the Daily Mail today in the Dr Unwin article. You look absolutely amazing. So radiant, healthy and happy. Great series thats been (all available online still through Daily Mail link). Here is today's link:

https://mol.im/a/6938665

Today I'm trying to contain my excitement til I've done all my jobs. Off on our jolies to sunnier climates later today. Or not as it looks like the case may be. Only I could go all the way to the canary islands and get unsettled weather. Going to be hotter here. Always happens to me. Drove all the way to Tuscany a couple of years ago. Massive heavy cloud overhead as soon as I stepped out of my front door until I arrived back home 2 weeks later. Still, looking forward to some nice r and r.

Have a Good Friday everyone (quite literally)

I thought it was because of all your great T2D work, that they called you
The RAIN MAKER...:D

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who will be frustrated in traffic jams. Mrs J has declared blank holidays are stay at home days.

A little 6.8 for me's this morning.

Well folks today I shall be woodworking, no not making crosses, but making bench seats for children.
Whatever, where ever you are remember say something nice to a stranger, that should ruin their day. I never said I was nice did eye.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only speak from my own experience. At diagnosis I had symptoms. Blurry vision, thrush, dry mouth, IBS, constant unrelenting heartburn in the weeks prior to dx. I could have accepted meds which may have helped, for a while, but my hba1c would have gone up due to the eat well advice. My meter confirms that. The higher the carbs, the higher the meter reading, the higher the estimated hba1c goes in the mysugr app. The higher the hba1c the more chance of complications. The evidence for that is well documented. I see it first hand at the diabetic meeting. Also when I did my clinic at the GP surgery (helping other diabetics) the first person I spoke to had just had a lower leg amputation. That really hit home! My symptoms would no doubt have returned and maybe others too, who knows. But using my meter and starting a lc woe my hba1c has gone down to non diabetic levels. My symptoms have ALL disappeared. I've lost 4 stone which has to be beneficial to every aspect of my health and wellbeing. As for long term effects, I see many many people eating this way for 20 years plus. On this forum, internet. And a prime example of someone even longer than that maintaining their health is Dr Bernstein.

I dont feel cutting out/down on bread, rice, pasta, potatoes and upping healthy fat intake is bad from my research. It seems that it isn't just beneficial for diabetics either. I do feel eating processed food rubbish stuff, carby ****, my health and wellbeing would have been threatened.

I'm allergic to sugar so avoiding agravating that allergy as best I can.

I have many non diabetic friends who are having great success with weight loss through LC too. They are looking and feeling fantastic.

I would be interested to know how many haven't had success with it too. Its not for everyone as you say.
That is good news for you and I am delighted both for your progress and the work you are doing. I don't share your trust, particularly in the non-diabetic level. Dr Bernstein, a type 1 insulin user with an incredibly tight regime, is not useful as a good guide for myself BUT I fully accept your right to your own views. My views will now be kept tightly locked away but nothing I have read has changed them. The interesting thing is that I still maintain an LC diet and analyse it thoroughly. Happy Easter guys - all about atonement/reconciliation so can we just agree to disagree and I'll shut up?

Last edited:

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
My elderly dad made me smile today. He's never been very tactful but at almost 93, he's not going to develop it now.

The conversation went like this:

Dad "How much weight have you lost altogether?"

Me "102 lbs Dad"

Dad "I don't think you need to lose anymore. You're getting lines on your face."

Me: "Okay Dad".
Bless!

Reactions: HarryBeau