What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None too decorous 4.8 on Swipey. Just where I should be aiming is well above my pay grade. I thank God it isn't higher and am glad I don't have complications but this WOE - sheesh.

Last edited:

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 at 6AM and 7.2 at 7:56AM on finger prick. Diabox matched exactly each time and so I am actually relieved to see that 99% of the readings were below 7.5 in past 24 hours. So if threat level was set to "Critical" for most of this week then it has been brought down to "Low" which means few more days hopefully and things should return to normal fingers crossed. :)

Have a great Sunday everyone. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-080958_DiaBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-080958_DiaBox.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 77

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Fbg 5.1 yesterday and 4.8 today.

@Luvly -- Welcome to the thread.
@nutribolt -- It's great to see your blood sugar levels normalizing again after being vaccinated. (My jab is unfortunately far in the future -- Germany isn't necessarily breaking any world records in this respect -- but am having some trepidation re blood sugar levels after reading the experiences of you and others on this thread.)
@DJC3 -- Brrrr! I am admiring your courage for taking a dip in the sea.

flyn

Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?

Mmm, I am a little worried then as a lot of these readings seem low looking at the results in here. I was recently diagnosed and am now self-testing daily at around the same time 08.30 before any intake of food and drink however my MMOL/L readings, over a period of one month, range from 6.9 to 9.7 with most being 8. something. Why the big range and am I in the type one bracket, I ask?

Harry

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @flyn,

Welcome to the forum and to this thread.

Normal fasting blood glucose for people with no metabolic problems is generally in the range of 4.0 mmol to 5.6 mmol (or 6 mmol depending on the country you are in). Usually, they give people with diabetes a bit more leeway, though. Your fasting readings are just a bit higher than desirable, but not desastrously so. So, not bad results at all.

Not sure if I am understanding your last question correctly, but you can't really tell whether you are Type 1 or Type 2 from fasting levels alone.

Maybe you can tell us a bit more about yourself? For example, levels at diagnosis, what you've been told by GP/nurse with respect to type, medications, diet, etc.?

Reactions: ert

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried and failed to get a reading 4 times this morning, so gave up. Had had a night full of bad dreams. Was not a good start to the day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm, I am a little worried then as a lot of these readings seem low looking at the results in here. I was recently diagnosed and am now self-testing daily at around the same time 08.30 before any intake of food and drink however my MMOL/L readings, over a period of one month, range from 6.9 to 9.7 with most being 8. something. Why the big range and am I in the type one bracket, I ask?

Harry
Hi Flyn since you only recently got diagnosed I dont think you should worry right now about your FBG though maybe 0830 might be a bit late insofar as DP will have been climbing for hours. You could take your meter to bed and test earlier but do wash hands first. Many of us getting FBGs of 5s and 6s and lower (I wish) have been doing this a long time. My advice concentrate on the daytime readings before and after food and read around the forum for info. Good luck!

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.6 last night, 6.7 this morning, skipped breakfast. Lunch 2 hours later 8.5 that was at 3pm
Hi Lainie as you are also new to this my answer to Flyn above applies equally to you. Btw for me personally after 3+ years if my FBG is higher than I like it keeps on rising whether I eat or not. Eating something like buttery scrambled eggs, a lump of cheese or coffee with thick cream might just help to stop it in its tracks. Just my experience as I know many fast and get good results. Good luck!

Reactions: DJC3 and Lainie71