What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well this is interesting….at 6.15am this morning, when I woke with the larks (actually seagulls, but same principle) my FBG was 6.8. :(. But after a reflective cuppa (it is Sunday after all) and a potter, at around 8.30am it was 5.7.:)

So that was either Dawn doing her phenomenal best to anticipate my every active moment, or the Hagen Das ice cream I polished off last night because I ran out of sugar free jellies.
Hmmm .... interesting. My money's on the ice cream. .... or perhaps you were ever so slightly dehydrated and the cuppa helped to restore your fluid inake.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of curiousity, what do you take to eat on that kind of expedition? I similarly find it difficult to find suitable non carby food when on the hoof, so ideas of alternatives would be useful. I have resorted to knawing on chicken legs (cooked!) before now as they’re easy to stick in tinfoil, but other options welcome.
Agree it's nigh on impossible to buy diabetic-friendly food on the hoof.

I make a lunch the day before that's equally nice hot with veggies or cold with salad and double the quantities. Leftover portions form the basis of my packed lunches, along with a wedge of Cheddar cheese, celery sticks, cherry toms and perhaps romano peppers plus a dollop of home-made mayonnaise for dipping and a few toasted almonds or macadamia nuts for extra crunch.

Here in the UK, the hot, sunny June and wet July has produced a bumper crop of wild blackberries to round off lunch on the hoof.

RD02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all a nice 5.2 this morning, about to make it shoot up for an hr with my porridge and blueberries/ walnut breakfast

Diabetes you loose another day !
IMG_1693738934.110621.jpg

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
6.7 at 6:30am. After walking around a field with two dogs in tow got back and before lunch 6.5 so not much change. Where are my illusive 5s today. Probably later as it tends to be. Bit hot down in Somerset today - mad neighbours have the barbi out. Its September!!!!

jomar_uk

5.4 on waking up
Normal breakfast.

For dinner homemade carrot soup with fresh ginger, sauté onions and (big mistake) 2 cups of oatley organic milk granddaughter brought for me. With 2 slices whole meal bread.

Big shock - next test (just over 2 hours after) 13.8

Really must check everything as being doing ok lately and all way in range about from that hiccup today.

JoMar

Last edited:

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4 on waking up
Normal breakfast.

For dinner homemade carrot soup with fresh ginger, sauté onions and (big mistake) 2 cups of oatley organic milk granddaughter brought for me. With 2 slices whole meal bread.

Really must check everything as being doing ok lately and all way in range about from that hiccup today.

JoMar
Yes, not all plant-based milks are created equal. Of the available options, I'm afraid oat milk is the worst for raising blood glucose.

Unsweetened almond milk is the least bad, but check the small print before purchase. I was caught out a few years ago with almond milk labelled in large letters *all natural, no added sugars." Among the list of ingredients on the back of the carton was maltodextrin. Apparently, this is within the regulations!

jomar_uk

Yes, not all plant-based milks are created equal. Of the available options, I'm afraid oat milk is the worst for raising blood glucose.

Unsweetened almond milk is the least bad, but check the small print before purchase. I was caught out a few years ago with almond milk labelled in large letters *all natural, no added sugars." Among the list of ingredients on the back of the carton was maltodextrin. Apparently, this is within the regulations!

Thank you so much.

Note made on my phone :)

JoMar

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.4 on waking up
Normal breakfast.

JoMar
The 2 slices of bread would have made my BG go soaring into the teens. I miss it so much :( I use non sweetened almond milk which I’m ok with.

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
What's today?!?! - MY BIRTHDAY! Yay for me . . . Oh yeah, 6.3, that's my BG, not my age . . It'll be bigger tomorrow, my BG will be, but my age will still be the same. Why? Because today is - MY BIRTHDAY!