Why aren't Carbs on the front of food packages?

ferretlives

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

We've been carb counting for a year and a half now and one thing that annoys me is how little regard is given to the clear labelling of carbs in food. It is never stated on the front of the package, you have to hunt it out and then sometimes you have to work it out based on 100g and do a calculation.

How come they give priority to things like Fat, Sugar and Salt and not carbs? Couldn't they say "Carbs (of which sugar)" on the front too?

After all there's a lot of people with diabetes who need to know this information.

F

Reactions: 12 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
You should also be aware after this time then that the nhs with the help of major manufactures are doing all they can to keep people unaware of the carb and starch facts.

Reactions: 6 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with this thread!

The least they could do it put it for the right amount of g, not for 100g!!

:mad:

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it would be useful to have carbs on the front but at least you now know it has to be on the pack .
Personally I would rather it was per 100g than per serving because serving sizes can differ enormously . In the US they use serving sizes and manufacturers are reputed to have a tendency to base them on very small portions. As a percentage it's reasonably easy to compare.

NHS conspiracy to keep people unaware? It doesn't appear that way. The evidence suggests somewhat the opposite.
. Two years ago the UK government had a consultation about front of pack labelling. This was being done on an ad hoc basis ie different manufacturers had introduced it and there were several different versions not all were comparable. Many organisations, including parts of the NHS, food manufacturers health charities and individuals responded. (see p36 of link)
The government summarised the findings of the consultation and responded.
Respondents supported FoP labelling and wanted its use extended. There was a request for carbohydrates to be included in FoP for those with diabetes ....
It is not possible to include carbohydrate in FoP labelling as the format of FoP will be specified by Article 30(3) of the EU FIC from December 2014. This states that only the energy value or the energy value together with the amounts of fat, saturates, sugars and salt may be repeated on the front of food packaging.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...response-nutrition-labelling-consultation.pdf
The labelling for front of packs is still voluntary and many International companies(about 40% of food sold in the UK) have declined to implement this system in any case and will stick to what has to be there by the new EU law (their labels are read in many countries)

So you may be able to blame European legislation which was originally aimed at increasing information throughout Europe . I'm sure that it would be possible to find the papers leading to the European decision. I do know that they have greatly strengthened the rules .Many junk type foods like chocolate biscuits and bars and crisps were able to get away with no labels at all as they were classified as confectionery rather than foods. Others used to print it so small that you couldn't read it (there is now a minimum size)

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Well, for what it is worth, at least the macronutrients are now shown - and as Phoenix said, due to EU legislation - but it only came about because of many years of fierce lobbying from European consumer organizations (and certainly not from food manufacturers - my take on this, there may have been exceptions, though).

My problem is that the legibility is sometimes so bad that I will have difficulty reading the numbers at the point of purchase. So occasionally when I get my reading glasses out back home, I find that I will need to either discard a product or choose to hand it on to some 'lucky' non-diabetec person.

annelise

Reactions: 3 people
C

catherinecherub

Well, for what it is worth, at least the macronutrients are now shown - and as Phoenix said, due to EU legislation - but it only came about because of many years of fierce lobbying from European consumer organizations (and certainly not from food manufacturers - my take on this, there may have been exceptions, though).

My problem is that the legibility is sometimes so bad that I will have difficulty reading the numbers at the point of purchase. So occasionally when I get my reading glasses out back home, I find that I will need to either discard a product or choose to hand it on to some 'lucky' non-diabetec person.

annelise

You could take your glasses with you?

Reactions: 3 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
You could take your glasses with you?
I could Catherine - but too much bother changing glasses all the time, so I guess I will just take my 'potluck' - and most of the foods I buy I know. - And the glasses would need to be in my backpack. I shop with my backpack to carry my purchases - and too much trouble to carry a shopping basket, then get my backpack off to find glasses, etc. (Maybe I should add that some time ago my son claimed that he needed my car more than I did myself - I guess he was right - so I have no 'wheels' now but get a lot more exercise :))

annelise

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I find the food labelling in the UK very good. I like the 100g. amounts because it is so easy to compare different brands of the same food, and converting 100g to your serving size isn't rocket science if you weigh your portions until you get used to what it looks like on your plate. Quite a lot of manufacturers also record the amount per slice or per container on a voluntary basis.

What I wish they would add are the amounts of vitamins and minerals in the food.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As ever that is a great reply Phoenix.

TBH it doesn't matter if the nutritional content is on the front or the back of packaging as long as it's there, I too prefer the carbs per 100g unless the product is an individual item, more often than enough I'll eat more or less than the suggested serving size so doing my own calculation is my own preference.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi all

We've been carb counting for a year and a half now and one thing that annoys me is how little regard is given to the clear labelling of carbs in food. It is never stated on the front of the package, you have to hunt it out and then sometimes you have to work it out based on 100g and do a calculation.

How come they give priority to things like Fat, Sugar and Salt and not carbs? Couldn't they say "Carbs (of which sugar)" on the front too?

After all there's a lot of people with diabetes who need to know this information.

F
I agree with you! The print on the back of the packaging is usually smaller and harder to read (especially if you are newly diagnosed so possibly blurry eyed)

I have taken to checking nutritional info online before I go shopping for something new. I would settle for carbs on the front of the packaging, but wouldn't be concerned with "of which sugar" as they all go the same way.

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think they are Annie.
Some people have a dim view of the NHS and will try and get others to believe that the NHS has no interest in our health. Food labelling is for everyone and not just diabetics.

This is what the NHS has to say on food labelling., including nutritional values.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/food-labelling-terms.aspx
If the NHS has an interest in our health why do so many HCPs still stick to the 'carbs with every meal' mantra which will make most people with diabetes worse. There are many good aspects of the NHS but this is not one of them.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
I could Catherine - but too much bother changing glasses all the time, so I guess I will just take my 'potluck' - and most of the foods I buy I know. - And the glasses would need to be in my backpack. I shop with my backpack to carry my purchases - and too much trouble to carry a shopping basket, then get my backpack off to find glasses, etc. (Maybe I should add that some time ago my son claimed that he needed my car more than I did myself - I guess he was right - so I have no 'wheels' now but get a lot more exercise :))

annelise
If you cant be bothered to wear your glasses you cant criticise the shops.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'd like to see the same carb information on drinks as well as food.

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you cant be bothered to wear your glasses you cant criticise the shops.
Bit harsh lol. I think it is fair to criticise. They put sugar info on the front of packaging instead of carbs. I want to read about the carb content...in huge letters if possible.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Dont think that's harsh at all. I have poor eyesight so wear my glasses to make important choices.
I don't expect the world to take care of me.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
The information is there if we just look for it. There are so many ways to get nutritional information and carb content now if we need it, packaging, apps, books, internet. OK, it may be in small writing but the manufacturers are at least putting them there. I think 10 years ago there was minimal info out there, the progress we've seen is incredible. There are even apps now for fast food chain food and many restaurant food chains. OK, things could be improved but I'm happy with progress so far and rarely struggle to find carb content of an item.