Your carb nemesis?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've established it's wheat which is my main one but all the usual suspects do me in.

So why I felt inspired to have a large slice of Victoria sponge with both jam and butter icing 1/3rd of the way into a 15 mile walk is slightly beyond me. All I can think is I've spent a week surrounded by all of my nemesises of wheat, sugar, potatoes, rice, starchy veg and fruit with no berries, butter, cream or olive oil available. (I've been sneaking out for a small tub of clotted cream a day and dreaming of butter and berries. Not together..) I went up to 14.4, but 10 miles later was 4.8.

Back home tomorrow and my normal food routines. Next time I do this, I go self-catering.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next time I do this, I go self-catering.

Yes, we have switched too. I got bored of watching other people tuck in to gorgeous food while I ate meat and the only 2 veg that were on the OK List.

But turns out Self Catering is FAB. We get supermarket deliveries to the holiday destination, and I always choose food that is just a bit special and a bit decadent, with minimum prep, so it still feels like a holiday. :)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do keep forgetting about supermarket deliveries.

It's also not helping I'm vegetarian along with low carb.

My mind is made up! Self-catering retreat it is next time.

Reactions: GeorgiyH

MsMelis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oatmeal and spaghetti-- sky high sugars. And sometimes pasta just tastes so good!

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those of you saying pizza - does that still apply if you split your dose? 1/3rd of it just before and 2/3rds an hour or so later?

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Had a tasty veggie pasta dish a few weeks back, knew it was wrong but husband had cooked as a treat. was 6.0 before eating and 20.0 two hours later. No more pasta for me :-(

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly make a spaghetti or macaroni meal for my husband and something else for me - I take half the minced beef already cooked with onion, then add peppers, mushrooms maybe a beansprout mix, sometimes lemongrass and simmer for a few minutes. I'd far rather have that than the spaghetti option.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For those of you saying pizza - does that still apply if you split your dose? 1/3rd of it just before and 2/3rds an hour or so later?

I've only tried pizza twice but it felt like a shot in the dark both times - once sent me into double figures and the other hypo. I tried half and half split dose.

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a tasty veggie pasta dish a few weeks back, knew it was wrong but husband had cooked as a treat. was 6.0 before eating and 20.0 two hours later. No more pasta for me :-(

but what was it 2 hours after the 20.0 measurement? I am still not sure how harmful spikes are, I'm more focused on what I'm at when the insulin is done its course.

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
but what was it 2 hours after the 20.0 measurement? I am still not sure how harmful spikes are, I'm more focused on what I'm at when the insulin is done its course.
I find when my bgs are high it takes many hours before it falls, I'm not sure whether I produce enough insulin for a speedy reduction. I am pretty active and low carb normally but still struggle to keep bgs within target.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Pancakes with maple syrup and it's Shrove Tuesday tomorrow oh dear

Reactions: GeorgiyH

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Think I'll be having something else!
Maybe, pork steaks!

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my goodness. First time eating perogies since i got diabetes.
I love them but I have to take way more insulin than I thought!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My only carb nemesis would be sugary drinks. However, they're also my saviour as they're the fastest hypo treatment :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a piece of Bergen a day! It does nothing to my levels, it must be the combination of ingredients that do it!
Give me whole wheat or white bread and I rocket!

I had a mixed breakfast test, (similar to glucose tolerance) it has bread with butter and jam on, and a cup of tea with milk and sugar. I can't eat butter, no milk or sugar in tea, and I went higher than my glucose test!

Why, no idea!
Because with the finger prick test you will probably get a different result each time you test the same food because the BG levels we get at any given time is different hour to hour day to day they vary so much depending how we are feeling and our activity I can eat a jacket potato with cheese one day and get a level two hours later below 7. I can eat the same and next time get a level of 8 to 10 two hours later so what does that tell me that I can or can't eat them.

Reactions: Lamont D

Jo123

My carb nemesis's are all succumbed to under the influence of red wine ☺️ so fortunately don't have too much impact on my blood sugar. They normally involve lindt balls, cheesecake or savoury biscuits (with cheese).

Day to day I don't have any cravings.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mashed or a Jacket potato..... ....not just because of the spike.........they give me terrible heart burn.........but they are so tempting.....though I can manage a few chips or a couple of microdot roasties without too much of a hike......got to be the fat..

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Bread and I love bread, crusty outside, soft and fluffy inside was my favourite before type 2 I have another medical condition but before that one appeared my favourite bread was multi seeded, rough, freshly baked ..... Sigh

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Because with the finger prick test you will probably get a different result each time you test the same food because the BG levels we get at any given time is different hour to hour day to day they vary so much depending how we are feeling and our activity I can eat a jacket potato with cheese one day and get a level two hours later below 7. I can eat the same and next time get a level of 8 to 10 two hours later so what does that tell me that I can or can't eat them.

Maybe it tells you the second potato was bigger than the first? :)