What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lunch was a salad of tuna in oil, mayo, leaves, a little grated beetroot, gerkin and 4 silverskin onions, followed by 3 slices of Edam cheese.

Before lunch 8.4
2hr after lunch 7.9

I’m so happy with this progress!

I’ve just had a snack of 6 raspberries and a glass of sugar free squash. I’ll check again in 2 hours to see if they have an impact.
Amazing after lunch result. How did you manage to get a lower BG than before lunch?

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
What a soggy wet grey day but Thursday is my favourite day as it’s my Pilates class mid morning - love it.
Brunch cheese omlette fried in butter followed by 2 squares of Lindt 90% chocolate
Dinner salmon fried in lemon butter served with cauliflower cheese followed by raspberry mousse planning a gin and soda water later.
Planning doing decorating over next few days treats may be needed! Wouldn’t mind as much if it was spring like!

Yes it’s hard to believe it’s spring time isn’t it!

Your dinner sounds yummy.

I love a gin; what is the guidance regarding alcohol?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it’s hard to believe it’s spring time isn’t it!

Your dinner sounds yummy.

I love a gin; what is the guidance regarding alcohol?
It’s up to you - spirits are zero carb and I mix mine with soda water also zero carb and a slice of lemon or lime. I find alcohol and especially red wine lowers my fasting bgs the following day and red wine is a few grams of carb - 3 from memory? per glass so provided you count it! prosecco is one gram of carb I tend to generally drink after a meal now rather than with as read that liver prioritises burning of alcohol over fat but not sure how essential this is and I’ve only done this recen5ly. It also relaxes me which is good for my Bgs. Some people give it up but I have one or two drinks a day from Thursday to Sunday and have the whole time whilst on lCHF and whilst Intermittent Fasting. I still lost more than three stone in about 6 months and got hbaca1 down to 33 so my reckoning is that for me it hasn’t hindered me. I used to drink diet tonic with gin but find it way too sweet now and much prefer soda water you can taste the fl@vour of the gin...

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Today I intended to fast as my numbers are simply not coming down, but I caved in around 3:30 and had 1/2 avocado, mozzarella balls and rocket with a lot of olive oil. Then an individual portion of M&S cheddar, then finally got control again.

I will keep trying, I was glad to see a bg of 7.1 mid afternoon so I guess my good old liver was happily offloading: better out than in!

This evening we had DD keto meat pie with broccoli. It worked surprisingly well, was a bit worried about the pastry but it was just like play doh in consistency and quite malleable. Very filling too.

@maglil55 how are you? Is the flu still biting?

@shelley262 I also have pilates Thurs mornings, but my class is run by Macmillan for rehab and is very gentle, more for relaxation really. Nevertheless I get really muddled with the breathing and quite a few of us have balance issues so we are all wobbling about like weebles. Must be hilarious to watch I think. You’re not alone @Goonergal!

@Rachox glad the concert was good. So pleased about Ask, we have one very near us but I never think to go there as I thought, like you it’ll just be pizza or pasta. They are always emailing me money off vouchers so I will use them from now on.

@Stronggirlsclub I understand about the mindset thing, it seems so odd to go for high fat. I have to kick myself sometimes but I’m really enjoying reeducating myself.

I too love a gin. Cheers!

Reactions: ziggy_w

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone
Today I intended to fast as my numbers are simply not coming down, but I caved in around 3:30 and had 1/2 avocado, mozzarella balls and rocket with a lot of olive oil. Then an individual portion of M&S cheddar, then finally got control again.

I will keep trying, I was glad to see a bg of 7.1 mid afternoon so I guess my good old liver was happily offloading: better out than in!

This evening we had DD keto meat pie with broccoli. It worked surprisingly well, was a bit worried about the pastry but it was just like play doh in consistency and quite malleable. Very filling too.

@maglil55 how are you? Is the flu still biting?

@shelley262 I also have pilates Thurs mornings, but my class is run by Macmillan for rehab and is very gentle, more for relaxation really. Nevertheless I get really muddled with the breathing and quite a few of us have balance issues so we are all wobbling about like weebles. Must be hilarious to watch I think. You’re not alone @Goonergal!

@Rachox glad the concert was good. So pleased about Ask, we have one very near us but I never think to go there as I thought, like you it’ll just be pizza or pasta. They are always emailing me money off vouchers so I will use them from now on.

@Stronggirlsclub I understand about the mindset thing, it seems so odd to go for high fat. I have to kick myself sometimes but I’m really enjoying reeducating myself.

I too love a gin. Cheers!
Hi @DJC3 you made me laugh re Pilates I have to stand at the front so can just see instructor as lots of people wobble and it sets you off regardless of how good your core muscles are if someone is losing their balance in front of you!
Re the fasting you’re doing really well bet you managed at least 18 hours if not more? Any fast is great and as long as you are keeping your eating window as short as possible and don’t snack after your main meal that’s the important bit we’ll done you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DJC3 you made me laugh re Pilates I have to stand at the front so can just see instructor as lots of people wobble and it sets you off regardless of how good your core muscles are if someone is losing their balance in front of you!
Re the fasting you’re doing really well bet you managed at least 18 hours if not more? Any fast is great and as long as you are keeping your eating window as short as possible and don’t snack after your main meal that’s the important bit we’ll done you.

That’s good advice, yes it was over 18 hrs so doesn’t seem so bad when you look at it like that, thanks.
I think you’re right about the snacking. (Does gin count as a snack though?)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Love that we’ve got so many people posting in here regularly now. Definitely my favourite thread on the forum.

@DJC3 glad I’m not the only wobbler. Talking of weebles, while spring cleaning last weekend I came across some old photos, one of which was me at my heaviest a few years ago and weeble was exactly what came to mind!

@Stronggirlsclub you’re doing fab at such an early stage after diagnosis. I didn’t find this forum or get a meter until a couple of months after diagnosis.

Not so hungry today so a more usual day of food.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - 2 boiled eggs, smoked salmon, a mini babybel cheddar and some Willie’s Pure Gold 100% chocolate.

Dinner - the remaining pork belly strips with buttered cabbage and a small portion of lazy mousse.

Just back from a post-dinner walk which took me over 20,000 steps for the day. Had all day meetings off-site today and walked the four miles to the venue this morning to offset being cooped up all day.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken soup with a Joseph’s low carb pitta bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: Hartleys 10 cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken supreme, mixed veggies and one carefully weighed 35g hasselback potato followed by strawberries and one scoop of vanilla Oppo.

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Hi All woke up with a 5.2
Today’s food was
2 slices of livlife toasted with cheese and black tea 1 Splenda 10grms bg went up to 6.3 at 08:50
Pre lunch was up to 6.7 @ 11:50
2 eggs , 2 bacon , mushrooms , black tea (no carbs )
Down to 5.9 @ 14:55
Pre dinner was 5.3 @ 18:50
2 burgers , 4 scrambled eggs, mushrooms, soda water
No carbs . Maybe a couple in the burgers
Down to 4.6 @ 20:50
Think the ibuprofen and fliconase might have put the BG up to the 6.7 gonna just take the gliconase tomorrow
And see what happens
Having some raspberries and strawberries with double cream later
Have a good night peeps

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A sausage day!

11am sausages and cheese
6pm bratwurst

I have to say that it would never cross my mind to eat sausages twice in one day. I like them, but only once every couple of weeks. Mr B on the other hand would happily eat them all day, every day. And today he did. :D

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Goonergal, post: 1751667, member: 368709"

Just back from a post-dinner walk which took me over 20,000 steps for the day. Had all day meetings off-site today and walked the four miles to the venue this morning to offset being cooped up all day.[/QUOTE]

I managed over 16,000 steps accidentally today as I got on the wrong blooming bus and had to walk the 2 miles back

Stronggirlsclub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening everyone.

I’m really enjoying seeing what everyone has been eating....does that make me noisey?!

I had a lovely dinner tonight. Chicken breast and pork belly baked with fajita mix (I made my own blend of spice) served with roast sweet pepper and onion, shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream and smashed avocado.

I was feeling pretty hungry, so we also had a field mushroom stuffed with bacon, onion, garlic, Philadelphia and sprinkled with cheese.

Before dinner; 8.1
After dinner; 8.9

I think I’m happy with that. I feel like I ate ALOT of food!

I know the numbers are still way too high, but I’m pleased with how I’ve seen them drop over the last 3 days since starting LCHF

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone.

I’m really enjoying seeing what everyone has been eating....does that make me noisey?!

I had a lovely dinner tonight. Chicken breast and pork belly baked with fajita mix (I made my own blend of spice) served with roast sweet pepper and onion, shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream and smashed avocado.

I was feeling pretty hungry, so we also had a field mushroom stuffed with bacon, onion, garlic, Philadelphia and sprinkled with cheese.

Before dinner; 8.1
After dinner; 8.9

I think I’m happy with that. I feel like I ate ALOT of food!

I know the numbers are still way too high, but I’m pleased with how I’ve seen them drop over the last 3 days since starting LCHF

Your dinner sounds great!
No, it’s not being nosey, it really helps to see what others are eating, it can help to give you inspiration. There are loads of good ideas here.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still having a bad time. Bed 9.2 FBG 7.2. I thought I'd turned a corner yesterday but no such luck. Spent a long time in 10's today and I'm too weak to do anything about it.
Boys are at Nursery and out of school club today so a peaceful day.
B. Hubby cooked me a couple of these Costco sausages with an egg and a black coffee.
L. Nothing
D. A salmon souffle I had in the freezer and a couple of chicken wings and BG is 10.6! Although it's coming down now. Lots of water and paracetamol . Gee I hate how being ill mucks things up.
I'm hoping I'll be OK enough to tackle Aqua tomorrow. I need to do something - and it is pouring again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 glad you managed a restful day, even if you weren’t feeling well. Your hubby sounds lovely!
Hope you feel better soon and start to see bg falling.

Reactions: maglil55

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello fellow what have you eaten today friends, today started well, ham and cheese, lunch was peppers, cucumber and 2 ruled.me recipe scotch eggs, BG 5.3 when I got home from work and then I gave in to the suggestion of a curry, didn’t have rice obviously just a curry and some raita 5.7 before first bite and 7.3 at 2hrs after eating, so although I enjoyed at the time I felt a bit annoyed with myself later, I don’t like seeing my levels above 6.0

Update BG before bed back to 5.7 just over 3 hrs after eating so I’m going to bed happy

Last edited: