What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done a thing with avocado before.

Split and peel the avocado and make the hollow large enough to take a poached egg. Poach an egg , transfer it to the hollow in the avocado, sandwich together and wrap in parma ham or streaky bacon. Fry until crispy on outside and serve.

I've been wondering whether the avocado would coat in the low carb crumb mix of ground pork scratching and parmesan but you need a way to keep the 2 halves together. It would be a kind of avocado scotch egg.

This sounds delicious! another thing for me to try out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 I’m so glad to hear the news about your sister isn’t so bad. Not surprised you needed a drink after the worry.

The avocado scotch egg thing sounds brilliant, if a bit fiddly. Hot avocado used to be a thing, but seems to have gone out of favour: back in the 70s I remember having a baked 1/2 avocado filled with crab and covered in cheese and grilled til it was bubbly. I might try to recreate it.
@ianpspurs let us know how you get on with your avocado experimentation. I love avocados and am so happy to be able to scoff them with abandon.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope you guys don’t mind me commenting on here as I’ve just restarted my low carb diet as just got latest bloods back at 46 a rise from 37 last year !
I know I’ve been naughty letting things slip so I’m now back and full of enthusiasm to prove the DSN wrong saying I need to go back on meds if the rise continues.
On a positive I made janeys27 halloumi and bacon thingys and they were delicious had Two with an avocado, onion and tomato salad tonight and have two left for lunch tomorrow.
I will keep reading this thread for ideas for meals etc and throw in the odd comment now and again
Hi and welcome @connie104 you are welcome here, we love sharing our menus and ideas. We are, I think you will find, very supportive of each other on this thread and we have all found some new foods to try, glad you enjoyed the halloumi thingies, this name for them was posted by another member, it has stuck and I couldn’t think of anything better to call them so it’s stuck :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never heard of Thistley Cross cider but we still have 5 litres of cider we made in 2016. 2 sons tasted some last Sunday and said it was very pleasant. @maglil55 the avocado scotch egg has got me thinking now. Some very good recipe ideas tonight. As regards cider absolute bumper apple crop this year more than the time we made 10 gals cider. Will make apple cider vinegar but not 10 gals. Can't sell them as about 20 yards up the road a grower who has been selling them for 30+ years has a stall :banghead:
If you think of a way to keep the avocado together let me know . Just as I type that I'm thinking I could wrap the avocado in something like 97% sausage meat or take the buffalo sausage meat out of its skin. I know my crumb mix works and is low carb and you get a nice runny egg poaching it first.

Amazing how things occur to you when you're not really thinking about it.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think of a way to keep the avocado together let me know . Just as I type that I'm thinking I could wrap the avocado in something like 97% sausage meat or take the buffalo sausage meat out of its skin. I know my crumb mix works and is low carb and you get a nice runny egg poaching it first.

Amazing how things occur to you when you're not really thinking about it.
@maglil55 I'm thinking pig caul but where I get some in my area may be interesting - apart from sourcing does that sound a goer?

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That has given me an idea i hadn't tried celriac boulengere. That was just about my favourite way of having potatoes.

Ooh! roast lamb cooked on potato boulangere! One of my favourites too.
Definitely worth trying with celeriac I think.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, we seem to have finally had the same weather most of you have been having. It was hot here by the time I had walked the dogs for an hour at 9.00 instead of 10.30 or later the rest of the week. I think today was LC and enjoyable so on a one day at a time basis today was good. Menu below:

6.00 - 730: 2 x 1.5 pint mugs tea with almond milk
9,00 : after 1 hr walk 1 Pint tea with almond milk
10.30: Halloumi wrapped in streaky bacon; Season ending? Asparagus (think its late but still getting enough for this or an omlette) 1 vine tomato; French vanilla filter coffee with double cream; - Halloumi and bacon lovely idea for late breakfast - thanks jayney27
13.20: Lemon Green tea 2 pints over 1.5 hrs
15.00 : Football and h/m high fibre chocolate bar 2 pints water
18.30: Salmon fillet; Avocado; salad with ACV and Olive Oil dressing well sprinkled with Chia seeds and Psyllium husk powder; Marinated garlic cloves and shalots.
21.00: Possibly - Brewdog Nanny State beer 3 gms carb per can/bottle My craft beer swigging son says these are good/best low alcohol beers, (Brewdog quite trendy in certain circles)
Welcome @connie104
Hi it might be this one that @maglil55 is referring to https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-baked-eggs

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never heard of Thistley Cross cider but we still have 5 litres of cider we made in 2016. 2 sons tasted some last Sunday and said it was very pleasant. @maglil55 the avocado scotch egg has got me thinking now. Some very good recipe ideas tonight. As regards cider absolute bumper apple crop this year more than the time we made 10 gals cider. Will make apple cider vinegar but not 10 gals. Can't sell them as about 20 yards up the road a grower who has been selling them for 30+ years has a stall :banghead:
https://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk

It's a lovely dry cider but the traditional at 19g carbs is a bit rich with halo top and strawberries. In fact 19g carbs in one go is a bit much for me but it is 6.2% proof. The whiskey cask one is 6.9% proof.
It's made just along the coast from me so it is readily available locally. Strawberry is the lowest but I find that a bit sweet.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, really hot day here today and busy, hair appointment this morning then looking around showrooms for a new van.
Didn’t eat until 2ish, as posted earlier had a memory lapse and ordered a latte and ate a sneaked in Adonis bar, new variety of Tumeric, orange and Brazil nut
Small pack of pork scratchings on drive home from food shopping
Indian takeaway tonight butter chicken curry, no rice, poppadom also had some chick peas cooked in an onion and tomato sauce, will see what impact it all had later but I was low at 4.8 before first bite.

Updated to add 2 hr reading 6.5 so just under the 2mmol recommendation and considering it contained food I haven’t had since diagnosis and there were many more carbs than I would usually have I’m reasonably happy, I’ve probably had more carbs today than I normally have over 2 or 3 days combined

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds delicious! another thing for me to try out.
Certainly one for avocado lovers. The crumb I'm talking about is just pork scratching ground finely and mixed with some grated parmesan then use like any other crumb by dipping in egg then the crumb. If you want a thicker crumb put in the fridge for a little while after the first dip/coat then dip / coat again.

I've used this for all sorts of things and varied it. The base is always the pork scratching/parmesan mix but I've added hot paprika to it before, parsley and grated lemon zest sometimes. Depends what I am cooking.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds delicious. I love avocado and have one every day but have run out of ways to make them more interesting so these ideas are great

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh! roast lamb cooked on potato boulangere! One of my favourites too.
Definitely worth trying with celeriac I think.
Snap @DJC3 was thinking of roast lamb with these - what wine? Pinot Noir crops up lots as does Chianti Classico - luckily I have a 1.5 litre bottle of Chianti Classico hanging about:)

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I'm thinking pig caul but where I get some in my area may be interesting - apart from sourcing does that sound a goer?
Yes that would work too. I could have got caul from the 'proper' butcher less than 1 mile away but he retired! That's where I got my tripe too so it was a double loss. There is a proper butcher in store at Dobbies Garden Centre and I reckon they could supply it. Dobbies and Lakeland in the same place is enough to make me a frequent visitor plus their farm shop has the more exotic ingredients I sometimes need.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk

It's a lovely dry cider but the traditional at 19g carbs is a bit rich with halo top and strawberries. In fact 19g carbs in one go is a bit much for me but it is 6.2% proof. The whiskey cask one is 6.9% proof.
It's made just along the coast from me so it is readily available locally. Strawberry is the lowest but I find that a bit sweet.
Our first batch was at least 6.2 - even my sons couldn't drink 2 pints! Talking of whiskey cask, my birthday present from my 3 boys was a 1 litre cask to mature alcohol in with a bottle to decant the result into. Have soaked it as per instructions and now have it filled with sherry. Next move is to remove sherry, find some average whiskey/ whisky or bourbon, and age it ready for Christmas. We did find 2 bottles of Calvados while looking for sherry to use so very happy with that. @maglil55 certain branches of Morrisons sell caul and definitely sell tripe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevie lee and DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ours first batch was at least 6.2 - even my sons couldn't drink 2 pints! Talking of whiskey cask, my birthday present from my 3 boys was a 1 litre cask to mature alcohol in with a bottle to decant the result into. Have soaked it as per instructions and now have it filled with sherry. Next move is to remove sherry, find some average whiskey/ whisky or bourbon, and age it ready for Christmas. We did find 2 bottles of Calvados while looking for sherry to use so very happy with that. @maglil55 certain branches of Morrisons sell caul and definitely sell tripe.
I'll ask the butcher in Morrison's when I'm in (was there today too!). I've also been googling and it came up with a cracking looking butcher in Highbury - Godfreys but might be too close to the Gooners for you?

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll ask the butcher in Morrison's when I'm in (was there today too!). I've also been googling and it came up with a cracking looking butcher in Highbury - Godfreys but might be too close to the Gooners for you?
@maglil55 Bit far away I'm in darkest deepest Fenland I would have to go to sea level for that. My local butcher may have some but the really excellent one about 4 miles away has Crocodile, Zebra, Buffalo, Impala, Kangeroo as well as traditional meats but no caul!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Snap @DJC3 was thinking of roast lamb with these - what wine? Pinot Noir crops up lots as does Chianti Classico - luckily I have a 1.5 litre bottle of Chianti Classico hanging about:)

I think French as a nod to the boulangere aspect of this dish: I’m really enjoying the M&S Cote du Rhone Villages at the moment so I’d probably go with that.
I like a Pinot Noir but I’ve never got into Chianti. I’m sure the top of the range Chianti classico would be good but I think Ive had too many cheap rough ones and they’ve put me off a bit.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been wondering whether the avocado would coat in the low carb crumb mix of ground pork scratching and parmesan
I'm wondering about using psyllium husk as a coating for frying, and/or mixed in with tinned salmon and egg to make a hash or fish cakes. Has anyone tried this?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Prosecco festival yesterday. Out from 12 noon! Hard boiled egg consumed whilst putting make up on as last minute getting ready due to too much time on forum!

L: 4 glasses of prosecco and 10 olives.

After festival finished at 5 the 6 girls didn't want to go home so we sat outside at an Italian pizzeria (You know what's coming now!). What do you think they served ONLY PIZZA. JUST PIZZA. NOTHING BUT PIZZA. it was one of the ladies choices and I didn't want to do the 'But I'm diabetic' thing. So I thought what the hell. Not had pizza for 6 months! Shared a pepperoni. I've had better! But it was nice sitting in what I can only describe as the Mediterranean sun!!! Scorchio! Accompanied by a glass of wine and oh yes a slice of garlic bread! I didn't test before or 2 hours after as the alcohol had licked in and I forgot!!! Tested when I got home at midnight and was 5.8. This morning 5.2. It's done now. If I do pizza again it will be dominos!!! Isn't this weather unbelievably good!!!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late night last night so morning report!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, sausage and egg with coffee and inulin
Lunch three seed crispbreads with almond butter followed by one slice of choc olive oil cake and yoghurt
Afternoon two pots of green tea and mint
Dinner - very difficult as buffet was very high carb low fat with fruit like dates and pineapple mixed in with salads! Everything was either in Pastry, breadcrumbs or mixed with couscous, rice or pasta. Ended up with small salad where had to dodge the dates and contents of two filo baskets which were some chopped chicken and two strawberries bit unsubstantial and so sweet tasting but did have a few glasses of good red wine followed by a celebratory toast of champagne. Enjoyed the party and company just not the food had hoped for I’d expected a bbq which would have been easier -buffets are often the most difficult places to find low carb stuff.

Last edited: