What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also compost my filter papers, but agree they can seem expensive. I must search Amazon for cheaper ones - where do you get yours @shelley262 ?
I too tried cutting out coffee as I was drinking such a lot and it’d give me a tummy ache ( and other consequences) sometimes. I find its ok if I just have it at mealtimes.
I dont really miss pasta, bread potatoes etc but coffee with cream seems such a treat, it would be such a shame to give it up too. I wholeheartedly agree @Alexandra100
Hi yes get unbleached filter papers from amazon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prosecco festival yesterday. Out from 12 noon! Hard boiled egg consumed whilst putting make up on as last minute getting ready due to too much time on forum!

L: 4 glasses of prosecco and 10 olives.

After festival finished at 5 the 6 girls didn't want to go home so we sat outside at an Italian pizzeria (You know what's coming now!). What do you think they served ONLY PIZZA. JUST PIZZA. NOTHING BUT PIZZA. it was one of the ladies choices and I didn't want to do the 'But I'm diabetic' thing. So I thought what the hell. Not had pizza for 6 months! Shared a pepperoni. I've had better! But it was nice sitting in what I can only describe as the Mediterranean sun!!! Scorchio! Accompanied by a glass of wine and oh yes a slice of garlic bread! I didn't test before or 2 hours after as the alcohol had licked in and I forgot!!! Tested when I got home at midnight and was 5.8. This morning 5.2. It's done now. If I do pizza again it will be dominos!!! Isn't this weather unbelievably good!!!

I feel for you and know that feeling well, you don’t want to be a party pooper but panic at the thought of high carb food. I think you did really well though, sometimes it’s just better to go with the flow and its probably just as well you forgot to test at 2hrs.
Sounds like you had a great day out and that’s the main thing.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late night last night so morning report!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, sausage and egg with coffee and inulin
Lunch three seed crispbreads with almond butter followed by one slice of choc olive oil cake and yoghurt
Afternoon two pots of green tea and mint
Dinner - very difficult as buffet was very high carb low fat with fruit like dates and pineapple mixed in with salads! Everything was either in Pastry, breadcrumbs or mixed with couscous, rice or pasta. Ended up with small salad where had to dodge the dates and contents of two filo baskets which were some chopped chicken and two strawberries bit unsubstantial and so sweet tasting but did have a few glasses of good red wine followed by a celebratory toast of champagne. Enjoyed the party and company just not the food had hoped for bbq -buffets are often the most difficult places to find low carb stuff.

Oh buffets are the worst aren’t they?
So much beige food!
I’m glad the wine was flowing and really impressed you didn’t go back and attack the buffet after a few glasses.
Sounds like you had a lovely day anyway.
Thanks for the Amazon tip re filter papers. I had some from M&S recently but the bottoms kept falling through and I ended up having to decant through a tea strainer. No wonder they were reduced ( only £1 for 50) I took them back in the end as I’d bought up their entire stock.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I need to cook some mince. And do some laundry. Have already (at 8am) done all the watering and gardening, so it should be really restful. :D

Am debating doing that Old Faithfull (cheesy mince) or striking out into the unknown with something more challenging.
Will mull it over for hours, then probably fall back on the familiar, if only out of heat induced lethargy.

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh buffets are the worst aren’t they?
So much beige food!
I’m glad the wine was flowing and really impressed you didn’t go back and attack the buffet after a few glasses.
Sounds like you had a lovely day anyway.
Thanks for the Amazon tip re filter papers. I had some from M&S recently but the bottoms kept falling through and I ended up having to decant through a tea strainer. No wonder they were reduced ( only £1 for 50) I took them back in the end as I’d bought up their entire stock.
I can honestly say I wasn’t tempted by buffet even after wine it all looked so sweet. I was never keen on sweet mixed with savoury even before diagnosis so no real temptations on offer. I’m happy to go with flow if it’s something higher carb that I miss but this stuff wasn’t it. No crisps, nuts or olives even!!

Reactions: DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late night last night so morning report!
Breakfast one slice of bacon, sausage and egg with coffee and inulin
Lunch three seed crispbreads with almond butter followed by one slice of choc olive oil cake and yoghurt
Afternoon two pots of green tea and mint
Dinner - very difficult as buffet was very high carb low fat with fruit like dates and pineapple mixed in with salads! Everything was either in Pastry, breadcrumbs or mixed with couscous, rice or pasta. Ended up with small salad where had to dodge the dates and contents of two filo baskets which were some chopped chicken and two strawberries bit unsubstantial and so sweet tasting but did have a few glasses of good red wine followed by a celebratory toast of champagne. Enjoyed the party and company just not the food had hoped for I’d expected a bbq which would have been easier -buffets are often the most difficult places to find low carb stuff.
I agree with the choices at a buffet not being easy for us special people, having to find things you can dissect but worrying that people will assume you are a fussy person. My daughter is the exception she always manages to balance the typical carb heavy things with a choice of dips, celery and salad items plus cold sliced meats and berries. At my granddaughters recent party she asked if I needed anything special but I was able to reassure here that wouldn’t be necessary, such a relief all round.

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the choices at a buffet not being easy for us special people, having to find things you can dissect but worrying that people will assume you are a fussy person. My daughter is the exception she always manages to balance the typical carb heavy things with a choice of dips, celery and salad items plus cold sliced meats and berries. At my granddaughters recent party she asked if I needed anything special but I was able to reassure here that wouldn’t be necessary, such a relief all round.
Love being called a special person @jayney27 ! Good description for us low carbers! Trouble is that the stuff I really like is expensive the good protein stuff and they had had a caterer in to do the buffet and obviously they won’t make a profit putting cheese, fish and cold meats out. This particular caterer clearly though putting fruit dates, pineapple, pomegranate seeds and figs into everything she made was a good idea !

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Love being called a special person @jayney27 ! Good description for us low carbers! Trouble is that the stuff I really like is expensive the good protein stuff and they had had a caterer in to do the buffet and obviously they won’t make a profit putting cheese, fish and cold meats out. This particular caterer clearly though putting fruit dates, pineapple, pomegranate seeds and figs into everything she made was a good idea !
Good idea, nope, showing off, yes. I think if there was more positive publicity around the benefits of low carb eating more people responsible for putting menus together might catch on and try to provide some options for those who choose to eat that way.
I have been asked by a colleague to make a cake for an event at work, she will be manning the cake stall and asked me to make something suitable for diabetics or low carb diet people, of course I’ve said yes. I know not everyone wants cake but it’s one of the first things that you realise is very limited when you visit cafes, coffee shops or events. I was also able to suggest that she ask another colleague to maybe help with a gluten free and or vegan option, she falls into this category of eater and has often bought in remains of large cakes that she or her hubby don’t want to finish. Who knows we may start a trend by being the first cake stall to cater for more than just the carb munchers.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm wondering about using psyllium husk as a coating for frying, and/or mixed in with tinned salmon and egg to make a hash or fish cakes. Has anyone tried this?
I suspect it would need mixing with something else. I prefer the ground pork scratching/parmesan base but I have added some ground milled flaxseed to that one too.
I've just noticed the lo dough We've been discussing recently can also be blitzed and spiced to make a crumb dressing and that has some psyllium husk in it. I experimented for a while to find something that worked and could be adapted for different food items and the pork scratching/parmesan base was the best. Having said that some pork scratching is better than others.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs have you seen today’s Sunday Telegraph? Top 35 wines for summer drinking - includes a ‘super sub-£10 chianti’ There are a few here worth investigating I reckon.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a good day on the low carb front
Breakfast was the remaining 2 bacon thingys that i made yesterday .

Lunch never really got going so I ended up eating half a dozen strawberries straight from the punnet and followed with a coffee and double cream
Dinner has been a barbecue steak and a salad of avocado and cherry tomatoes with flakes a Parmesan sprinkled over
I also tried to make something I saw Rick Stein eating on his program spring onions wrapped in bacon and griddled I put mine on barbecue and although bacon unwound itself still tasty !
Hope this is not the end of the good weather it’s very humid and cloudy here in Surrey

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs have you seen today’s Sunday Telegraph? Top 35 wines for summer drinking - includes a ‘super sub-£10 chianti’ There are a few here worth investigating I reckon.
Very hot today from the time I got up whereas it has taken an hour to three to heat up until now. @DJC3 I cancelled my subscription to the Telegraph as the loonies both above and below the line were getting more eccentric by the hour. The offer of free Washington Post access with subscription has also ended ( WP still send me access) but those wine lists were good. Anyhow, food list today below:

8.00 - 3 pints tea with almond milk
1.00 - 13.28 French vanilla coffee (filter);Went back to the start of this way of eating from July 2015. Used the scales that measure to the gram. 50 gms raspberries from garden; 100 gms Fage 0%; 1 tsp inulin; 2 tbls milled flaxseed which may have had inulin mixed in - didn’t use inulin 3 years ago; IMHO frozen raspberries are better for this as more juice; (O/T only time I ever taste white bread now is communion good job its very small! Wine also appears to be a sweetish sherry)
16.00: 2 pints water; bowl of various olives; garlic cloves and shallot; salami crisps and cream cheese; manchego
18.30: Cold slow cooked Belly pork slices; Mushrooms; Cherry tomatoes; Asparagus (last few pieces surely); Strawberry coulis and double cream - tried to make a jelly with gelatine but didn’t quite work as jelly but tasted lovely; Tea

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and welcome to @connie104 - you seem to be doing well. I find it helps me during day when know have to record what I eat!
Breakfast one sausage , rasher of bacon and egg fried in macadamian nut oil and coffee with inulin
Lunch four seeded crispbreads with chicken liver pate and five walnut halves followed by small slice of choc olive oil cake and fage yoghurt
Afternoon two pots of green tea with mint
Dinner celeriac, spinach and chicken curry served with four of my new batch of crispbread with small glass red wine followed by strawberries and fage yoghurt.
New batch of crispbread even better - this time I oiled two pieces of baking parchment and used them to roll out the mix very very thinly then cut into rectangles this way I managed to make about 40 thin crispbreads so about 0.2 g per crispbread and have a lovely crunch reminiscent of my much missed poppadoms! I’m starting to think should go into production as they stay crisp in tin for a week but usually get eaten by me and family within a few days!

meJulie

I can honestly say I wasn’t tempted by buffet even after wine it all looked so sweet. I was never keen on sweet mixed with savoury even before diagnosis so no real temptations on offer. I’m happy to go with flow if it’s something higher carb that I miss but this stuff wasn’t it. No crisps, nuts or olives even!!

meJulie

Hi Shelley

hope you don't mind me sending a message but have seen how well you have done and would love to know how you did it. I have gone very low carb and haven't lost weight and now getting disheartened. Had a little carb binge today :( silly me but feel i do t want to go e i just yet. Any advice? Or has anybody got any advice was thinking of going low caLorie as well Tia

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, the heatwave came to an abrupt end today, lots of heavy rain however as the day ends and I have to start thinking about work tomorrow out comes the sunshine.
Breakfast didn’t happen as we had planned to go to our favourite spot for a cooked breakfast looking out to sea but got rained off.
Headed to Frankie & Bennys for lunch as compensation, had burger and salad no bun
Numbers have been a little bit higher than normal today, despite not much food up until my lunch, maybe punishment for the Indian treats last night.
Just had pork loin salad and some berries with cream, 5.3 at first bite so will be interesting to see if BG is playing nicely now when I test at 2 hrs.

Reactions: maglil55

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my HDL increased and LDL decreased, so it did show improvement although GP didn’t think so til I pointed out that the breakdown had improved, he had just looked at the total :rolleyes:
What planet are GPs living on??? You would think a few echoes of the huge cholesterol / sat fat controversy would have reached them by now. I bet 90% at least of people who frequent this Forum know that HDL and trigs are the important numbers, & that total cholesterol is no longer of interest. And the other 10% have just arrived, but will find out very soon.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.8 FBG 5.3 so reverting to normal. Been back in the 4's today again so I'm over my encounter with Thistly Cross cider and Halo Top! School is on holiday, final swimming lesson for the summer today and the weather is glorious again.
B. Back to my weird fishy concoctions. Tablespoon prawn cocktail, 3 mini plum tomatoes, fresh anchovies , lettuce and 3 walnuts. Hubby said he has no idea how I can eat that in the mornings.
Tassimo Americano Grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing was off to final swimming lesson with the boys. So hot their little bar of Kinder chocolate melted. Thank goodness I had tic tacs with me.
D. Campari and soda and a wee prosecco. I needed it after the couple of days I've had.
Roast chicken with sage and onion stuffing, fresh peas (I'm not allowed to pod them because I eat them) steamed cauliflower and celeriac dauphinoise which I can still taste and is delicious. Going to have a coffee since I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Hubby's birthday tomorrow.
Journey to the swimming was crazy. I usually take one of two back roads to get there. Both were closed. No idea why. So had to head away from where I wanted to go and divert onto the bypass and loop all the way around. We were all racing in at the last minute. Just as bad going back. Wish those organising road closures would think about what they are doing.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Shelley

hope you don't mind me sending a message but have seen how well you have done and would love to know how you did it. I have gone very low carb and haven't lost weight and now getting disheartened. Had a little carb binge today :( silly me but feel i do t want to go e i just yet. Any advice? Or has anybody got any advice was thinking of going low caLorie as well Tia
Hi @meJulie ive now been low carb high fat for last 11 months although have moved more to more Mediterranean healthy fats recently as my LDL cholesterol is higher than I wanted. I stArted in my first month on Low carb programme and had some success- quite high fat and didn’t worry about calories, then moved to a month of one meal a day fasting 23 hours and eating one meal within a hour. Rest of time just had black coffee, tea and water - followed advice of Dr Fung and also ideas on www.dietdoctor.com. That month last October/ November I think I was very low calorie not deliberately but only had one meal and that month saw my most significant weight loss and bg lowering. I then continued on two days one meal a day and rest 18/6 fasting so two meals a day. I kept to low carb below 20g per day and basically carried on until got to my ideal weight and brought my hbaca1 down. I also had cream in coffee in later months during fasting time when closer to target. Now I’m maintaining weight and bgs I eat three smallish meals but still don’t go above 30g of carb per day and stay in ketosis. I do lose too much weight if I don’t. I can honestly say that once I was in keto - Burning fat mode - my body provided the fat fuel so I didn’t feel hungry. Now if I delayed eating I would feel hungry as no fat stores left.
Hope this helps I was and remain highly motivated having a mum with deteriorating kidney function as a result of years of type 2 diabetes and this gave me a wake up call that I needed. You need to have a look at all the resources out there including the low carb programme and diet dr site and see if there is anything that interests you but the bottom line for me was lowering m6 carbs below 20g. Think you need to keep going it can be good idea to record on this thread what you eat as we may be able to help. We’re all different and some of us (not me) don’t need to go as low carb as I did. Also when fasting probably only had 7g max in that one meal but others like @Rachox hasnt needed to go this low or fast at all. Some people too do I gather take a bit longer to see results on scales some have to get bgs down more first and that is a sensible way to target bgs before weight regarding weight loss as a bonus. Checking your bloods before and two hours after your meal can really help to stop any spikes.