What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news! Halloumi chips back in Aldi, it’s a bit if a treck for me but definitely going to make the effort. I think the false moustache would be entirely forgivable.

Lucky you with a Hotel Chocolat coming to town
Bit of a red letter day! Can't wait to try the chips

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal from a couple of things you have said, I am thinking that the Paleomedicina way of eating may interest you, too. Basically carnivore, no dairy, with an emphasis on ancestral-style meat choices. Once people have settled into it, they can gradually reintroduce some fruit (berries), veg and sometimes honey (!!!), but no sweeteners or grains, etc. Am thinking that this may be a way for me to gradually and tentatively reintroduce veg. In time. Guts permitting

Thanks. Will look into that. Not sure about the no dairy bit. Adore my cream and cheese. Having polished off way too much almond butter and cream yesterday night have now banned nut butters and sweeteners until Christmas. Trying to stick to animal based only, but main aim is to stop the sweet cravings but they’re definitely psychological cravings.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: M&S ham and cheddar rollitos with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding with a black coffee.
Dinner: chicken supreme with cauliflower rice and mixed veg followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Thanks for all the hugs and kind wishes. They definitely helped a lot.

A bit of a frustrating day again. Blood sugars were high even without food. They dropped when eating only to rise again about two and half hours after food.

So, I decided to put up a fight. No dinner and lots of exercise. Finally, blood sugars started moving downwards and are now sitting at 5.0. I am curious to see what happens tomorrow morning.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A small DD keto roll with mayonnaise, beef salami and gouda cheese. Two tablespoons of lupin-hummus.

Snack: Three squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Nothing plus 65 minutes on the elliptical trainer burning 850 calories.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very early somewhat naughty breakfast in more ways than one: a stolen sneaky sliver of husband's ham & chicken pie, nicked from fridge when I went downstairs to refill my little bottle of chilled water; later, coffee with cream and truvia

No lunch

Dinner: spicy "Persian" minced lamb and fried aubergine with fresh mint, lime juice and Greek yoghurt; chocolate hazelnut muffin with a couple of teaspoons of Meridian Cocoa & Hazelnut Butter, topped with sprinkle of toasted chopped hazelnuts; turmeric tea. Later a small helping of Oppo salted caramel ice cream with Sukrin Gold syrup and roasted salted pecans

Bedtime : cocoa with almond Alpro & truvia, and a tiny windfall apple

Water - some with a little added lime juice; one piece of 85% Lindt chocolate

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

A bit of a frustrating day again. Blood sugars were high even without food. They dropped when eating only to rise again about two and half hours after food.

So, I decided to put up a fight. No dinner and lots of exercise. Finally, blood sugars started moving downwards and are now sitting at 5.0. I am curious to see what happens tomorrow morning.

Lunch: A small DD keto roll with mayonnaise, beef salami and gouda cheese. Two tablespoons of lupin-hummus.

Hugs @ziggy_w its s frustrating when you’re doing everything right.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Hope your Herculean efforts yesterday have kick started things for you. You have a great attitude Ziggy.

Reactions: maglil55

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts and for your support, @Goonergal and @DJC3.

Last night, I did another 15 minutes of the elliptical trainer because blood sugars started rising again -- but all good. Went to bed on 4.7 and woke up to a 4.5. So doing a whole lot better, albeit woke up with a headache again -- but who cares as long as blood sugars are lower.

Could it be the fact that I didn't drink wine yesterday and the day before? Possibly, I might have overdone the wine in the last half year, which might led to a bit more fat in the liver, so will try to cut back to maybe once or twice a week.

Hope y'all have a great weekend and thanks again for being there.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your thoughts and for your support, @Goonergal and @DJC3.

Last night, I did another 15 minutes of the elliptical trainer because blood sugars started rising again -- but all good. Went to bed on 4.7 and woke up to a 4.5. So doing a whole lot better, albeit woke up with a headache again -- but who cares as long as blood sugars are lower.

Could it be the fact that I didn't drink wine yesterday and the day before? Possibly, I might have overdone the wine in the last half year, which might led to a bit more fat in the liver, so will try to cut back to maybe once or twice a week.

Hope y'all have a great weekend and thanks again for being there.
Take care @ziggy_w sorry to hear about your battles and your headache. Feels a bit like a lottery at times the bgs.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your support, @shelley262. Diabetes can sometimes feel like a lonely battle, so I am so grateful for all of you on this forum.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your support, @shelley262. Diabetes can sometimes feel like a lonely battle, so I am so grateful for all of you on this forum.
Its so frustrating xx Are you sure you don't have a bug lurking under the surface? My BGs seem to give me advance warning of something approaching - even something mild.

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Bit of a frustrating day food wise for me. Had arranged to meet friends for lunch at a trendy cafe so skipped breakfast ( apart from coffee and cream)
L: lots of perceived ‘healthy food’ at the cafe ( wholegrains and sourdough opennsandwiches) which gave me a problem, I picked 3 of the salads, roast cauliflower with cumin, broccoli with soy sauce and ginger, and roast aubergine with greek yogurt and pomegranate. It was all delicious but a massive plateful so quite carby in the end. Post meal bg 6.8 sadly.
D: DD creamy broccoli and leek soup with a fat head dough bagel and cream cheese. Last CCB with a decaf coffee just now.
You have to smile at some of these 'healthy' place now. I find myself thinking if I'd only known then what I know now. It's good though that we are getting more choices.
I made a quick trip to M&S yesterday since as we are on a Weekend train to Liverpool I already know there is absolutely nothing edible for me on the morning trains. It's a selection from muffins, fruit juices, bananas, so called healthy bars, yoghurt etc

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To carry on with the pork pie theme....just been to Aldi where a lady recommended their pork pies to me. She said 'they're a bit naughty but at 91 I'm eating what I like now'! And yes she looked fab.
Oh and they had some halloumi chips in!!!! (two packs per customer, one saved for sister unfortunately). Looking forward to trying those. Thought about going round again with a false nose and moustache to buy some more but felt this may fall into the weird behaviour category.

Might as well put on today's food diary whilst here

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Ham, rollitos, olives, chicken bits and salad, strawberries and cream
Forthcoming Dinner - Beef stroganoff with veg
Snacks - Two squares of 85% lindt so far. Two 100% Hotel Chocolat buttons (as recommended)

Joy of joy. Hotel Chocolat is opening in my home town next year!!!!
Why are they limited to 2 packs per customer?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.3 FBG 6.2. Got a bit used to cooked breakfasts while away so cooked one myself yesterday. Not quite the same as getting it cooked for you though. Got the boys for a fair bit of today but away again early tomorrow.
Thursday
B. 2 GF pork chipolatos, fried egg, GF black pudding, crispy streaky bacon and a mushroom. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing was busy ironing and repacking.
D. Chicken breast. I had some of these Tesco mini packs of veg so steamed the one with sugar snaps, carrot batons, broccoli and green beans. Added a few more green beans and asperagus. Fried the chicken breast a bit then popped in the oven with the veg , a mushroom and Tesco's cider and mustard sauce with a touch of cream. Came out rather good.
Later had a Keto creme brulee with the last of the M&S berry medley. Hubby refilled my blowtorch and I got the most fabulous burnt 'toffee' inulin top on the brulee. Still have 2 left!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its so frustrating xx Are you sure you don't have a bug lurking under the surface? My BGs seem to give me advance warning of something approaching - even something mild.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful words, @maglil55. Yes, I agree, it could also be a bug -- I'll probably won't know unless it decides to rear its head.

What makes me think that it might be the liver is that blood sugars drop right after food and rise when no food is involved. So, insulin actions seems to block glucagon release after food, and once insulin levels fall, the liver seems to chuck out glucose in excess. -- However, I might be totally wrong about this -- just trying to guess.

How are you doing today, @maglil55, after this truly awful week for you? Thinking of you.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

tickorama

Due to recent diagnosis, I have only just started my low carb journey. Breakfast this morning was a slice of Hi-Lo bread spread with butter and a laughing cow cheese wedge. Topped with smoked salmon and a scrambled egg. Total 6g carbs.

Lunch will be some paprika chicken wings I baked last night and I'm still contemplating what to have for dinner
Snapchat-156038266.jpg

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why are they limited to 2 packs per customer?
There seems to be some halloumi chip shortage in Yorkshire! They were in store when they came out and then nothing for months. There was even an article on the internet. The cashier said there were some in the 'back' to go out but they'd all be gone again by the end of the day:rolleyes:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be some halloumi chip shortage in Yorkshire! They were in store when they came out and then nothing for months. There was even an article on the internet. The cashier said there were some in the 'back' to go out but they'd all be gone again by the end of the day:rolleyes:

Not just Yorkshire - Cornwall too and the one near me on the outskirts of London. Same notice saying 2 per person. I have never been able to get them so far but they must be good if they sell out so fast.
I first started looking out for them about 2 months ago after a recommendation from someone on a different thread here.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 5.3 FBG 6.2. Got a bit used to cooked breakfasts while away so cooked one myself yesterday.

Later had a Keto creme brulee with the last of the M&S berry medley. Hubby refilled my blowtorch and I got the most fabulous burnt 'toffee' inulin top on the brulee. Still have 2 left!

I know what you mean about hotel breakfasts - I always look forward to them.

The thought of Your creme brulees are making my mouth water.

Reactions: maglil55

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not just Yorkshire - Cornwall too and the one near me on the outskirts of London. Same notice saying 2 per person. I have never been able to get them so far but they must be good if they sell out so fast.
I first started looking out for them about 2 months ago after a recommendation from someone on a different thread here.
I think this may be my first and only taste of them, I'll let you know what they're like. I'm sure they are disgusting;)