What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’ll be interested in what you think of the halloumi burgers. Are they just round halloumi slices? Might be nice on top of a regular burger.

fran57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, and cheats.
Welcome to this thread. Sounds like good stuff out of interest though have you tried the lower carb bread like livlife from Waitrose or ocado or Hilo from Sainsburys? The hovis is higher carb than these two - mind you lower than the standard stuff!
Hi, no I havent, but will have a look for those thank you...x

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started the day before the crack of dawn with a little chunk of applewood cheddar and 1/2 litre of water

Lateish breakfast - livlife again with herb&garlic Boursin , butter and a seed topping;. coffee, double cream & truvia

No lunch, but the last piece of my Lindt 85% choc during the afternoon.

Dinner: Ocado have started selling (Waitrose) frozen meatballs - 100% British beef with just salt & pepper added, so some of these baked with mixed olives and red pesto, served with a pile of huge stir fried stringless beans; followed by blackberries and 2 of my tiny windfall apples cooked with butter, lemon juice and Sukrin gold, topped with a good dollop of creme fraiche. (ETA: Blackberry/apple mix is enough to make 3 suitably Robbity sized portions, which is my justification for eating the occasional slightly higher carb fruits ..) Turmeric tea.

Back to testing again today. I 've been getting interesting readings due to stress & oedema, still very high for me, but quite stable; low carb definitely works!

fasting/pre breakfast: 7.6
(didn't test after breakfast as i went back to sleep till nearly lunch time! :dead:)
pre dinner: 8.2
2hr post: 7.7

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch at Wetherspoons with my son and his girlfriend: gammon steak, egg, tomato, mushroom, peas and side salad in place of chips.
Mid afternoon on the loooooong drive home, **** half term traffic! Raspberry phd smart bar.
Dinner: M&S ham and cheddar rollitos plus some mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes with pork scratchings, coleslaw and cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only pop into this thread from time to time but I wanted to say thank you for some great ideas. I had never heard of rollitos, thanks @Goonergal for heads up. Hubby brought some back from m&s along with some pork scratching type snack and I have found Asda do rollitos with iberico cheese and chorizo. Totally hooked! Together with Mexicana cheese it's a great feast.

Whoever mentioned copymethat, was it @Brunneria, I totally love it. I have to go back through the recipes to add nutritional info, not a hardship.

Now looking for a recipe for clafutis. Halloumi is often on the shopping list, oh my goodness I am looking forward to experimenting.

Thank you all.....!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only pop into this thread from time to time but I wanted to say thank you for some great ideas. I had never heard of rollitos, thanks @Goonergal for heads up. Hubby brought some back from m&s along with some pork scratching type snack and I have found Asda do rollitos with iberico cheese and chorizo. Totally hooked! Together with Mexicana cheese it's a great feast.

Whoever mentioned copymethat, was it @Brunneria, I totally love it. I have to go back through the recipes to add nutritional info, not a hardship.

Now looking for a recipe for clafutis. Halloumi is often on the shopping list, oh my goodness I am looking forward to experimenting.

Thank you all.....!

The recipe was orininally posted by @Bubbsie in the fbg thread. I haven’t worked out how to share the link as I use the forum app not the website, but it’s easy to find if you search ‘ Blackberry Clafoutis’ and find her post.

I agree the CopyMeThat app is brilliant isn’t it? I was getting in a real pickle trying to remember where I’d found various recipes beforehand.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’ll be interested in what you think of the halloumi burgers. Are they just round halloumi slices? Might be nice on top of a regular burger.

Will let you know - they are round bits of halloumi (nothing else added). Had to leave them in the fridge at work as I decided to do a mega walk home from work yesterday, so will be next week before I try them. Was thinking they’d be nice on top of an ordinary burger.

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you all.....!

Pretty sure the clafoutis recipe is in @shelley262 s recipe booklet that we had in Birmingham. Otherwise, here is a screenshot of the recipe I used (based on @Bubbsie s one) from my food tracker app.

Attachments

• 8D37D5AB-FD0D-4A78-99BD-C3A0C9D28C15.png
    8D37D5AB-FD0D-4A78-99BD-C3A0C9D28C15.png
    234.6 KB · Views: 330

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.8 FBG 5.3. Late posting for yesterday. Has the boys most of the day but was mostly packed and ready to go. Just sitting on the train waiting to go at the moment.
B. 2 Tesco pork chipolatos, slice GF black pudding, mushroom, 3 mini plum tomatoes, fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. A keto creme brulee
D. Odd combo due to using up leftovers. 4 mini ribs, fresh anchovies and M&S tuna, bean and red onion pot. The last creme brulee with a very good inulin top.
Didn't expect to spend 1 hr setting up a tablet. No 2 decided to knock my tablet out of No 1's hands so I now have a spider web screen! Thank goodness I had a spare tablet in the house.

Reactions: ianpspurs

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tesco as well. I find a lot of the haloumi blocks have mint in them the burgers don't.
Will let you know - they are round bits of halloumi (nothing else added). Had to leave them in the fridge at work as I decided to do a mega walk home from work yesterday, so will be next week before I try them. Was thinking they’d be nice on top of an ordinary burger.
I sometimes make halloumi fries...I have a recipe & some photos somewhere...I'll look it up & post it for you...they take a couple of minutes but are worth the effort.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Halloumi Fries: @Goonergal @maglil55
120g Halloumi
2 Tbsp Ground Almonds
1 Tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Oil
Method
Cut halloumi into 'chips' around 8 and pat dry with kitchen towel
In a bowl combine almonds and spices
Press each 'chip' into the dry mix until completely coated
Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot and carefully place the halloumi in, fry until golden brown on all 4 sides (around 3-4 minutes)

I used 2330gs of Halloumi so doubled the almond mixture...used crushed chillies & some Cajun seasoning...I also dipped the cheese in beaten egg to make sure the coating stuck to the 'chips' had them with some crispy bacon...delicioussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...mine were spicy hot...so I added some Greek yoghurt as a dip to cool them down

Last edited:

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
The Dome used to be one of the big banks branches - RBS. I worked in the office next door for a while and used to cut down the side of the building to work. There's another along the road The Standing Order that used to be a Bank of Scotland. There's a number of grand buildings that used to be banks or insurance companies along George Street. Now They are mostly pubs/restaurants but it is nice how they incorporated the original interiors. Mind, they didn't have much choice , they are listed buildings.
Edinburgh is the most beautiful city and I thoroughly enjoyed my brief stay. After the Gallery of Modern Art I walked along the Leith to Stockbridge and Leith. Despite what is written about Scottish food I had no trouble eating LCHF. The coffee was also excellent!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Edinburgh is the most beautiful city and I thoroughly enjoyed my brief stay. After the Gallery of Modern Art I walked along the Leith to Stockbridge and Leith. Despite what is written about Scottish food I had no trouble eating LCHF. The coffee was also excellent!
My hubby is a Leither although it's a lot more yuppiefied to when he was a lad.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Wonderful start into the weekend, blue skies and sunny, albeit a bit colder than last week. Also quite elated since blood sugars were back to normal yesterday and today. Yeah!

Thanks again for all your support, really made feel as if I am not out there fighting this thing alone.

Didn't post yesterday as I had a late night out. So, here goes:

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Early lunch: A DD keto roll with mayonnaise, gouda and beef salami. Lamb's lettuce with low-carb lime-mustard dressing and feta cheese.

Dinner (out with colleagues): Pumpkin quiche (didn't eat the crust), a mixed salad with olive oil and balsamico. A cheese platter (divided by 4) and half a DD keto roll (gave the other half to a colleague, who has leaky gut syndrome and can't have any regular bread either). Two glasses of red wine with dinner. Another glass later at a piano bar. Enjoyed the evening very much.

@fran57, @tickorama, and @xfieldok -- Welcome to the thread. Looking forward to your contributions.
@Bubsie, @Brunneria and @DJC3 -- Thanks for the recipes/links to recipes. Definitely all very tempting.
@shelley262 -- Hope you get your results soon. Don't fret too much, I am sure they will be brilliant.
@Goonergal -- Hugs! Saw on the other thread that your fbgs were a bit higher today in spite off hardly having had any carbs yesterday. Very frustrating, there sometimes just seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. I am sure tomorrow's will be much lower again.
@maglil55 -- Enjoy your trip to Liverpool and the Terracota Warrior exhibition.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm OK thanks ziggy. I had the boys most of today so they're a distraction and we're off to Liverpool early tomorrow for the Terracotta Warrior Exhibition. We're back late Monday and the funeral is Wednesday so it gives me a few days away beforehand.
Hope you enjoy the Warriors and Liverpool itself:)