What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Very late posting after a saga at the gym. Went to unwind after very stressful day at work (if there were such a thing as a cortisol meter, I’m sure it would be reading hi). Worked a treat until I got back into the changing room to find that my padlock was refusing to open when I entered the code. Several attempts to no avail. Eventually found a staff member who was on the point of getting the bolt cutters when I realised that I’d been using the wrong code!

Today’s menu was lunch of smoked salmon and cream cheese bolted down between calls to avert a crisis and dinner of Waitrose beef steak hache and one of the halloumi burgers. Not sure about the halloumi - although I did arrive at work to find the pack of burgers I’d taken out of the office fridge to bring home the night before in my bag (2 distinctly senior moments in one day), so probably not in peak condition.

@jayney27 welcome back

@DJC3 that breakfast sounds great.
What a day! Not one to be repeated!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is my new favourite breakfast!

How did you explain you’d got the wrong code? That did make me laugh, I can imagine the sudden dawning realisation.

To be honest I fibbed and told him I’d jiggled the padlock about - realised after he’d gone to get the cutters and was too embarrassed to mention the code!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
goodness, you were up early this morning!

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster food wise. But I can't bring myself to regret it. :D

Started off well, with lamb mince with added marrow fat (which is delicious, by the way, and came from some beef femurs I got from the butcher. They cost £3 and yielded about 6 litres of stunningly good beef bone broth and what looks like about a pound of glorious marrow fat.

Then I skipped lunch because we were out for a family dinner after work.
- which meant I turned up at the carvery hungry. Always a bad idea.
They all had the standard carvery, which meant I was already jealous of the roast parsnips, red cabbage and mashed carrots.

But i decided to have the mixed grill, which is excellent there. Had it before.

Only this time they brought a pile of the most glorious golden, crisp yet fluffy, perfectly fried, ultra-hot chips, didn't they?
10x better than the usual boring nothing-special pile of potato.
And I was done for.
Managed to stop after about 2/3rds.
And then I had half a toffee icecream sundae.

:hilarious: Estimating there were approx 129g ;) carbs in the meal, so technically just inside the low carb zone (if you squint).

Actually felt quite good on it. No crashing tiredness, no hyper sugar buzz followed by a crash. Presumably all the fat helped with that. And I have woken up feeling pretty good. Didn't test because it was a long meal and quite a long evening, and I hadn't taken my meter because I hadn't expected to need it. Haha!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I fibbed and told him I’d jiggled the padlock about - realised after he’d gone to get the cutters and was too embarrassed to mention the code!

You'll never get to heaven!!!

(But you'll probably find the interesting people where you end up. :) )

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
goodness, you were up early this morning!

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster food wise. But I can't bring myself to regret it. :D

Started off well, with lamb mince with added marrow fat (which is delicious, by the way, and came from some beef femurs I got from the butcher. They cost £3 and yielded about 6 litres of stunningly good beef bone broth and what looks like about a pound of glorious marrow fat.

Then I skipped lunch because we were out for a family dinner after work.
- which meant I turned up at the carvery hungry. Always a bad idea.
They all had the standard carvery, which meant I was already jealous of the roast parsnips, red cabbage and mashed carrots.

But i decided to have the mixed grill, which is excellent there. Had it before.

Only this time they brought a pile of the most glorious golden, crisp yet fluffy, perfectly fried, ultra-hot chips, didn't they?
10x better than the usual boring nothing-special pile of potato.
And I was done for.
Managed to stop after about 2/3rds.
And then I had half a toffee icecream sundae.

:hilarious: Estimating there were approx 129g ;) carbs in the meal, so technically just inside the low carb zone (if you squint).

Actually felt quite good on it. No crashing tiredness, no hyper sugar buzz followed by a crash. Presumably all the fat helped with that. And I have woken up feeling pretty good. Didn't test because it was a long meal and quite a long evening, and I hadn't taken my meter because I hadn't expected to need it. Haha!
Good food, well prepared is always going to be tasty and satisfying. Absurd to deny it. Seems to me that if we are to go rogue do it on purpose and on those conditions. Glad you enjoyed the meal and had no adverse reactions.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. Yesterday was awful but not as awful as I feared. Just catching up again having gone back into routine today. I did smile at @Goonergal's code and @ianpspurs 'hovering' - it put a Michael J Fox vision in my head! I'm not sure everything had hit me yet but routine is good.
Bed 6.7 FBG was also 6.7. It did go up into the 8's for a short time but soon descended again.
B. Very early start to get ready, boys to breakfast club and through the traffic so coffee only and water in the car. 1 hr 50 mins later made it to the church.
L. After the services in an Italian restaurant but a buffet where there was food I'd love to eat but very little I could eat. Was impressed by hubby though who glanced along the trays and could pick out what was or wasn't OK. Ended up with a slice of mortadella, 2 slices salami, 10 mussels , octopus salad and 3 brussel sprouts and green beans. Weird I know but that was it. I was one of 3 drivers so it was 1.5 bottles of water for me no wine.
D. Had a large bowl of the broccoli and spinach soup I made yesterday and it tasted just as good as the one I had in the restaurant in Bath. Will have it again tomorrow and freeze the rest. It's very green.
Had another coffee and a grenade caramel chaos bar after as I was dozing off.
Keep on hovering @ianpspurs!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts. Yesterday was awful but not as awful as I feared. Just catching up again having gone back into routine today. I did smile at @Goonergal's code and @ianpspurs 'hovering' - it put a Michael J Fox vision in my head! I'm not sure everything had hit me yet but routine is good.
Bed 6.7 FBG was also 6.7. It did go up into the 8's for a short time but soon descended again.
B. Very early start to get ready, boys to breakfast club and through the traffic so coffee only and water in the car. 1 hr 50 mins later made it to the church.
L. After the services in an Italian restaurant but a buffet where there was food I'd love to eat but very little I could eat. Was impressed by hubby though who glanced along the trays and could pick out what was or wasn't OK. Ended up with a slice of mortadella, 2 slices salami, 10 mussels , octopus salad and 3 brussel sprouts and green beans. Weird I know but that was it. I was one of 3 drivers so it was 1.5 bottles of water for me no wine.
D. Had a large bowl of the broccoli and spinach soup I made yesterday and it tasted just as good as the one I had in the restaurant in Bath. Will have it again tomorrow and freeze the rest. It's very green.
Had another coffee and a grenade caramel chaos bar after as I was dozing off.
Keep on hovering @ianpspurs!
Glad I was able to provide relief @maglil55. Since I couldn't be bothered to use the Kirby it was more hovering than hoovering:) I have no idea who or what Michael J Fox is

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Early post today as out this evening for Tapas with my sister and two of my best friends celebrating my liberation from work:joyful:

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Avocado, serrano ham and olives. Strawberries and cream. Two pieces of 85% Lindt.
Dinner - Tapas!

Thought I'd have a go at making my own 'bounty bar' chocolate shards net week with some 90% chocolate. Would make a change from the plain stuff. Anyone tried this?

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found it so sad he was diagnosed with Parkinson's at such an early age.
I know, and he does some sterling work in combating the disease. I think he has set up a foundation.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Glad you got through yesterday @maglil55

Long day today. Series of work meetings in Middlesbrough. Currently ensconced in a pub (nice comfy armchair) at York Station regretting my decision to play safe and not risk an 8 minute connection. Would have made it. An hour to kill now.

Took packed lunch and dinner with me and also ended up buying a morning snack of 2 individual portions of mature cheddar. Lunch was one boiled egg, 25g cheese and a tin of Waitrose wild Alaskan salmon mixed with mayonnaise. Dinner was salami and smoked cheese.

Looking forward to bed!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great day here for this late in the year, hope everyone had good weather. In the great scheme of things and especially historically I am truly blessed. I am now beating myself up for beating myself up about feeling guilty over how my routine is removing some of the pleasure from food, exercise and even rest. What a bizarre specimen I am. Hope y'all are more normal.
Breakfast: Tea and scrambled egg with pre cooked bacon (3 eggs and cream); exercise bike then test and more tea; .4 rise from fasting but on good days can get a fall - don’t think breakfast really works on hunger or bg levels for me
Dockey : Walk - desperate not to add carbs or cals with having breakfast
Lunch : 1.5 Short ribs cooked overnight in sous vide with some of the gravy saved from the brisket on Sunday thickened with maybe 10/15 gms gravy granules ; mushrooms; small portion of frozen cauliflower; Tassimo Americano Grande with double cream - spent 2 hrs wondering about bg and why I was wondering about ....
Evening: CCB - 1/2 hr ago now wondering ......:doctor::doctor:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all, much more control today which feels “normal”
No breakfast
Small pack of pork scratchings
Late lunch while out getting in some shopping for partners mum, 2 large pigs in blankets with an individual pot of Philadelphia
D gammon steak, celeriac mash and peas, oppo raspberry cheesecake dessert
No readings in the 5’s today but still seem to have a slight head cold

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone had a good day
Breakfast quarter lodough eggy bread, bacon and egg
Lunch ham, cheese, nuts and a couple of home grown purple tomatoes
Dinner thanks @Bubbsie did halloumi chips using your recipe what a revelation - they will be a regular addition to my repertoire and made double so on menu for tomorrow too!why didn’t I try them before? Pork ribs, halloumi fries and buttered mushrooms with glass dry white wine followed by Lc raspberry mousse.