What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all -post for yesterday while I remember.
No breakfast
Morning dog and child walk through wet muddy woodland.
Cafe for lunch - lots of home made and locally sourced food but very carby - heavy bias on cakes and doorstep sandwiches. I chose the cup of soup and sausage roll and took the pastry off. Turned out to be a bad choice - hit 8.2 afterwards! Soup must have been thickened with flour, or maybe contained potato, what a shock. Back to mid 5s at 3 hrs but felt horrible all afternoon, weak and shaky. Ive found this before it’s the comedown after a high carb meal. Even though bgs are normal its like a carb hangover. Its convinced me ( not that I needed it) that this woe is for life - can’t be doing with that up and down nonsense again.

D: homemade burger with Mexican cheese stuffed portobello mushroom and some salady leaves

@maglil55 the adult turkey suit really made me laugh - who knew they even made such a thing?
@Emma_369 sounds like a magical day yesterday
@shelley262 hope the trip to Yorks goes well and that your mum is ok.
@Goonergal I’m gutted for you re sofa.

Lainlainylain

Welcome to this thread hope it helps you. I find it makes me think a bit more carefully about what I eat knowing I’m writing it down. Look forward to reading your menus.
Thank you Shelley! I am finding my denial is more short-lived because of this forum, have a tendency to stick my head in the sand or be flippant about serious subjects, prob an anxiety thing.

I remember plucking up the courage to ask my gp years ago for help with my binge eating...her response was (In a Jean Brodie accent) ‘well I can’t help you with that’...maybe if she could have been bothered things would be different today...maybe, maybe not

I did get out of bed last night to eat some cheese and pate...it’s becoming a habit when I can’t sleep...next challenge is to stop doing it!

Didn’t test on waking as i left my kit in the lounge...are you supposed to test before you get out of bed and move around?
Also running out of strips and will be a while before i can order more...wondering if it’s better to keep them for mealtimes or is waking BG more important?
Woke late this morning so only one black coffee so far...happy Sunday everyone

Reactions: maglil55
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Too many medical appointments
The winter months, it’s cold when you’re bald!
B - (7.3) porridge with oat milk and chopped banana. Half grapefruit large orange, kiwi and grapes.
L - (16.9) beans on slice seeded bread
D - (29.2) vegetable stew and jacket potato. Half grapefruit orange, kiwi.
Struggling to keep BG under control and steroids start again next Tuesday. Better order more insulin!

Lainlainylain

Bed 5.8 FBG 5.8 - the weirdest of days. Finally finished Christmas shopping. Some stuff being delivered ; others going in-store to pick up. First parcel of the day arrived and had me frantically checking my online accounts. Why? It was an adult Turkey suit??? What the?? After much investigation discovered it was my niece who'd got it sent to me to be sure of getting it for a fancy dress party. Not sure I'd wander out dressed as a turkey at Christmas.
Phase 2 of improving behaviour has also started. No 2 was a bit disillusioned as he thinks he's left it too late to escape the coal list so some positivity was called for. A post box has been made and they both have these lined record cards in different colours. So they get to post cards with things that were good. No 1 has to write his so has the added advantage of getting him to practice his writing. Bad behaviour still comes under 1 2 3 Magic but this lets them accrue good credits to gain a reward. I've made tick sheets for the teachers who think it's a great idea. Didn't want The teachers limited time being taken up so the tick sheets speed things up. Santa video No 2 will be prepared next week.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Headed out after that for shopping and Christmas pick ups from various stores.
L. Slice of Morrison's high protein wholemeal with pate pate - new loaf on me. Not bad at 6.1 net carbs a slice. Not as good as Livlife but didn't do much to the BGs.
D. Settled for cold cuts - turkey, ox tongue, roast pork and 3 tiny chicken wings, 1/2 avocado , lettuce , 4 Santini tomatoes and a little coleslaw.
Got to work on the tree after dinner and took a leaf out of shelley262's book - Bailey's (at least the low carb version) but I must confess to 2! Hic
I used to use 1-2-3 Magic with my daughter, I remember the first time she was sitting in the asda trolley seat screaming her head off...only needed to get to ‘1’ and her mouth shut tight! I was astounded and so were a few other shoppers...i think that book saved my sanity!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Shelley! I am finding my denial is more short-lived because of this forum, have a tendency to stick my head in the sand or be flippant about serious subjects, prob an anxiety thing.

I remember plucking up the courage to ask my gp years ago for help with my binge eating...her response was (In a Jean Brodie accent) ‘well I can’t help you with that’...maybe if she could have been bothered things would be different today...maybe, maybe not

I did get out of bed last night to eat some cheese and pate...it’s becoming a habit when I can’t sleep...next challenge is to stop doing it!

Didn’t test on waking as i left my kit in the lounge...are you supposed to test before you get out of bed and move around?
Also running out of strips and will be a while before i can order more...wondering if it’s better to keep them for mealtimes or is waking BG more important?
Woke late this morning so only one black coffee so far...happy Sunday everyone
Hang on in there @Lainlainylain .
I have had non-diabetic related neuropathic pain in my feet for the last seventeen years, and regularly didn't sleep at all or only managed two hours. This undoubtedly led to over production of the stress hormone cortisol, and to my over consumption of carbs (mostly bread) just to keep me awake and provide energy at whilst at work. Which eventually led to diabetes. I know how difficult sleep deprivation is and you have my sympathies.

I now feel the healthiest I have since I developed chronic pain in my feet all those years ago and this is down to ;
A fantastically supportive GP. If yours isn't find one that is. You wouldn't go back to anyone else who didn't carry out a job to your satisfaction.
Developing diabetes. Yes, that's right. It pulled me up short, shocked me and kick started me into making drastic changes.
Relaxing - Download an app such as 'Headspace' and have 15 minutes to yourself.
Intermittent fasting - I started this by simply not eating for 12 hours overnight. So no more nibbling in front of the TV at 9pm, then having breakfast at six. It gave my pancreas a good old rest from the constant onslaught of food and was surprisingly easy to get into the habit after a week.
Information - As soon as I was diagnosed I read Dr Michael Mosley's book 'The Blood Sugar Diet'. And I joined this site which has been a source of inspiration and information. Even though my HbA1c level is now in the pre-diabetic range I still want to find out more about diabetes. I'm just in the process of starting Dr Jason Fung's book 'The Diabetes Code'.
Exercise - I just walk whenever I can. That's all. The important thing is to keep moving and do something you want to do. Don't be forced into classes you don't enjoy because you just won't go. My house has never been so clean due to the amount of vacuuming and housework, but it stops me sitting down!!!!!

If you got to the end of this post without nodding off well done, and I hope it is helpful! Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, just start again tomorrow :)
Happy Sunday to you too,....you can do it!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to use 1-2-3 Magic with my daughter, I remember the first time she was sitting in the asda trolley seat screaming her head off...only needed to get to ‘1’ and her mouth shut tight! I was astounded and so were a few other shoppers...i think that book saved my sanity!
We couldn't believe it either. It is such a simple concept and once they get over testing you, as you say, the start of the count is usually enough. I still get some dreadful days with the smaller grandson but much better than he's been.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tori71 - I didn't realise you had non diabetic neuropathy as well. Mine resulted from the nerve damage post crash and has been my life for about 12 years now. Mostly it's the lower legs and feet but sometimes it creeps into the thighs - not fun! Like you I use movement (and classes) to release the muscles. Massage is a large part too.
It is annoying at night trying to get settled but I think if I ever woke up and my legs were 'normal' I would wonder what was wrong!

Reactions: Geoffno6

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon peeps
Not been around very much so havnt posted in a few days. Im still managing to keep totally dairy free ( 3 weeks now) and my rhinitis and arthriticy pains are both improved; my sugars have continued to be pretty flat acroos the day too. I found I was still having cravings for dairy ( maily milk and cheese) for the first 10-12 days, but they have gone now. I aim to stay totally dairy free for a month and then test some of the lowest lactose products ( butter, goat / sheeps milk cheese, lactofree milk) one by one
Todays menu is fairly typical of what Ive been eating and so far has consisted of
Chocolate chia pudding ( silken tofu to replace dairy cream)
Mushroom and Thyme soup ( a mix of cashew nut milk and soya cream to replace dairy cream)
Home made brownie ( made with coconut oil to replace butter)
2x almond milk cappuccinos
Dinner will be fish based - either trout ( I got 4 packs on an Ocado 50% off flash sale in todays order) and almonds or smoked salmon omelette with salad

Lainlainylain

Hang on in there @Lainlainylain .
I have had non-diabetic related neuropathic pain in my feet for the last seventeen years, and regularly didn't sleep at all or only managed two hours. This undoubtedly led to over production of the stress hormone cortisol, and to my over consumption of carbs (mostly bread) just to keep me awake and provide energy at whilst at work. Which eventually led to diabetes. I know how difficult sleep deprivation is and you have my sympathies.

I now feel the healthiest I have since I developed chronic pain in my feet all those years ago and this is down to ;
A fantastically supportive GP. If yours isn't find one that is. You wouldn't go back to anyone else who didn't carry out a job to your satisfaction.
Developing diabetes. Yes, that's right. It pulled me up short, shocked me and kick started me into making drastic changes.
Relaxing - Download an app such as 'Headspace' and have 15 minutes to yourself.
Intermittent fasting - I started this by simply not eating for 12 hours overnight. So no more nibbling in front of the TV at 9pm, then having breakfast at six. It gave my pancreas a good old rest from the constant onslaught of food and was surprisingly easy to get into the habit after a week.
Information - As soon as I was diagnosed I read Dr Michael Mosley's book 'The Blood Sugar Diet'. And I joined this site which has been a source of inspiration and information. Even though my HbA1c level is now in the pre-diabetic range I still want to find out more about diabetes. I'm just in the process of starting Dr Jason Fung's book 'The Diabetes Code'.
Exercise - I just walk whenever I can. That's all. The important thing is to keep moving and do something you want to do. Don't be forced into classes you don't enjoy because you just won't go. My house has never been so clean due to the amount of vacuuming and housework, but it stops me sitting down!!!!!

If you got to the end of this post without nodding off well done, and I hope it is helpful! Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, just start again tomorrow :)
Happy Sunday to you too,....you can do it!
Thank you so much Shelley...it's so encouraging to read about the big D diagnosis turning your life around...I've seen it more than once on here. It's like a wake up call after sleepwalking for years.
I do have Headspace on my phone, am really resistant to settling down and being still, although I didn't realise until recently reading posts on here how stress can raise BG I'm going to try to start my day in a more positive way.
I've had weird leg and feet things for a few years, maybe 3-4, where the outside of my right thigh would feel like ice/burning and the tops of my feet hurt...both things while trying to sleep at night...always thought it was hormonal (lead up to meno and hysterectomy in Feb last year) but now wondering if it might be something more sinister.
Also just starting to learn that exercise is about more than just getting trim...I'm such a couch potato...usually anxiety is paralysing to the point where I can do anything but sit and wonder what to do...but now thinking there are too many reason to not do do something...my house could do with more regular cleaning for sure!
I'm glad you have a good GP...they seem to be a rare breed these days...I really like the NP is see, she told me when she gave me my diagnosis that she lost 7 stone eating low carb...although she said not to eat eggs because of cholesterol I'm going to stick with her as she seems to know her stuff.

I think it so wise to use D as an opportunity to learn as much as possible, nothing could be more important than being well-informed...and it does help turn it into a more positive situation...now that I'm freaking out less I think I could try to be objective about it all...and it is indeed a really interesting subject.

I'm being very open with my 11 year old daughter about all this stuff, she too can be totally addicted to junk but loves veggies too..will happily eat a snack of raw broccoli! So if I no longer buy it for her, it's not in the house, we both make healthier choices.

Blimey I seem to be waffling again...another essay!
today's food so far, celery with pate, cream cheese and a small stick of cheddar...yum yum.

have a great day :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first post in here forgive me if i step on any toes while i get aquainted.

For my first attempt, may i say thank you to all for the patience and guidance that has got to me here..safely.

May i present, my breakfast V 2.0..new improved, healthier and tasty in that great T2D way....:D

( and yes, that's a cracker..a ryvita., red quinoa & Sesame one, 5.3 of carbs, to be exact...and it's my crutch, cos i still hanker after bread..and breakfast is the time i suffer it most..AGGHH :bigtears: )

took this other day,

excuse bloods..(oh, the shame)
but 11:38 scored a lovely jubbly 5,7
just now, 13:20 it was a smackingly tasty 6.5..

AND i'm not looking for that next hit of food, as the greedy guy who lurks inside me, is won't to do....win/win..

2 x poached eggs
two parts of bacon
mushrooms, tomatoes..and the offending ryvita

thank you all on the Forum, SO very much, for showing me the way....xxx

IMG_20181208_110441185.jpg

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Lainlainylain

My first post in here forgive me if i step on any toes while i get aquainted.

For my first attempt, may i say thank you to all for the patience and guidance that has got to me here..safely.

May i present, my breakfast V 2.0..new improved, healthier and tasty in that great T2D way....:D

( and yes, that's a cracker..a ryvita., red quinoa & Sesame one, 5.3 of carbs, to be exact...and it's my crutch, cos i still hanker after bread..and breakfast is the time i suffer it most..AGGHH :bigtears: )

took this other day,

excuse bloods..(oh, the shame)
but 11:38 scored a lovely jubbly 5,7
just now, 13:20 it was a smackingly tasty 6.5..

AND i'm not looking for that next hit of food, as the greedy guy who lurks inside me, is won't to do....win/win..

2 x poached eggs
two parts of bacon
mushrooms, tomatoes..and the offending ryvita

thank you all on the Forum, SO very much, for showing me the way....xxx

View attachment 29908

Your breakfast looks lovely, your bloods look quite good to my untrained eye...my fasting levels are in the 6s at the moment, hoping to get lower soon, although trying to keep my sticks for mealtimes at the moment.

I agree with you the people on this forum are amazing

Last edited by a moderator:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 4.9 FBG 4.8 - much better despite the low carb Bailey's yesterday. May have to make more tomorrow as I suspect another one will be required today. A fairly dull day but the boys were in a good mood for swimming. They were keen to get started on their good cards as well. The excitement is mounting though. Got them Christmas jumpers from Next yesterday as we have concerts thus week and a Save the Children Christmassy morning on Friday. Was impressed that No 1 read the "Snow Way" on the sleeve and understood it should be "No Way" but it was Snow because of Christmas.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Another slice of that Morrisons high protein , wholemeal bread - toasted with pate pate.
L. Nothing for a long time as usual swimming with the boys. Coming back No 1 was quietly playing a game while No 2 indulged in a medley of Christmas carols which was quite entertaining. Got really hungry when I got back so had a slice each of roast pork and ox tongue with 2 of the tiny chicken wings.
D. Currently enjoying a campari and soda. Dinner will be a roast ham glazed with Apple and blackberry. Mashed celeriac and some parmentier celeriac and mashed swede.
Will very probably have another Bailey's - good batch this.
Got into Aqua tomorrow - last week before classes stop for the holidays. I have more clothes to collect from Next tomorrow and I dropped the turkey suit into my niece!

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Loved my menu today - discovered my new favourite dessert. @Tori71 its the cream cheese brownies. Not sure I got them quite right but wow, sooo delicious.

OMAD day, with a little sneaky dessert tasting (one third of a CCB) shortly before dinner,

Dinner was roast boneless shoulder of lamb, scored, salted and coated in garlic butter and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Followed by the cream cheese brownies with a dollop of extra thick Jersey cream.

Got tin size wrong for the brownies and had to decant to a much smaller one so ended up with the full brownie mix and half of the cream cheese topping. Yummy, but haven’t quite got consistency right - even after being in the fridge for a while it needs serving with a spoon rather than cutting with a knife.

Attachments

• 703DE185-D854-4FD7-A44D-D2716729263A.jpeg
    703DE185-D854-4FD7-A44D-D2716729263A.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 97BD31BF-7D23-4501-8CF8-AE3F61151732.png
    97BD31BF-7D23-4501-8CF8-AE3F61151732.png
    576.7 KB · Views: 331

Lainlainylain

Evening all...quite a good day today...

Lunch was celery and pate and cheese...dinner lamb, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli and butter. Followed by tiny amount of strawberries, blueberries, coconut, almonds, thick cream and greek yogurt and then a windy dark beach front walk.
My daughter finished my dark chocolate grrr so none tonight.

BG before meal 5.2, 2 hours after 5.6, yay!

Must remember to leave meter beside bed so i can test in the morning...i want it lower than 6!

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and a big welcome to the newcomers. I’ve learned so much and picked up some great ideas on here, stick with it, it’s great.

Breakfast today was a cheese omelette

Lunch/ dinner roast lamb with cauliflower cheese, roasted kale and buttered cabbage. 2 glasses red
Now having decaf coffe and cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 3x 1 pints tea (Assam) with almond milk;
Dockey : Dog walk
Lunch : Waitrose Americano with cream
Afternoon: Hot chocolate - Rowntrees cocoa, almond milk and cream; made in super duper machine then heated more in microwave (@11 gms carb per 100 gms I make it 2 gms carb at most for cocoa)
Evening meal: Very large salad with 2 x avocado (usual dressing including psyllium husk powder) ½ tin chopped pork (24p) stilton and lots of chia seeds - ( added most of packet of wild Rocket and salad 1 gm carb it reckons and 24p good hit; couldn't get whole bag in family sized serving bowl) 8p millionaires shortbread in the freezer - sod the carbs that's for after bloods and just 1 bite size taster then chuck the rest - if it doesn't freeze well, at 8p, who cares!! NFL now and Bears Rams on record for the gym tomorrow.
Welcome @jjraak
Edit: Apologies, for not offering a welcome to @Lainlainylain

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all from Yorkshire and mums bungalow she was a bit squiffywhen picked her up this afternoon from her bingo session at her local club - think the gins were plentiful! She is 88 in a couple of weeks and think her 67! Year old boyfriend kept buying her a Christmas gin!
Breakfast sausage, bacon and egg
Lunch two chicken legs
Mid pm tea and lc lemon cakes - thought it may soak mums gin up!
Dinner chicken salad followed by low carb trifle Mum delighted with it it tastes so naughty but I know, as made it that it’s very low carb it just dosent taste it ! It will definitely be lc trifle at Christmas.