What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by one Jaffa cake.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@Lainlainylain -- Great food choices -- sounds yummy too.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Steak Tartare with mayonnaise and two fried eggs.

Snack: A handful of caramelized pecans (with erythritol and cream).

Dinner: Chicken livers in a estragon-mustard-pastis cream sauce with coconut-cauli rice and spiced red cabbage. Desert: Two scoops of Oppo vanilla ice cream with whipped cream and about 60g of raspberries. No wine today.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - protein peanut & chocolate bar and a cup of tea
Lunch - pork chop, cauliflower, broccoli, red cabbage, 1 small roast potato, a Yorkshire pudding and a drizzle of gravy
Dinner - only got home an hour ago and feels way too late to cook and eat properly so just had a couple chunks of extra mature cheese and 2 squares of green & blacks mint chocolate

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A busy family day.
Late breakfast coffee, Greek yogurt, walnuts
Family dinner, roast lamb shoulder, (boned and stuffed with sausage meat, mixed with beaten egg, ground almond, leek, rosemary and butter) . Green cabbage, baby carrots, small piece roast parsnip. Large glass Merlot.
Munchies later, so small glass Merlot, square of 85% chocolate, and 7 almonds.
Stayed hydrated throughout day with mineral water.
Nicely pickled now.:wacky:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you ever have one of those lightbulb moments, but not in a good way? That'll be me, right now.

Monday is usually one of my cooking days, as the culinary genius who is MrB plays golf during the day. Today's offering will be: https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-chili-in-crock-pot-or-instant-pot-paleo-gluten-free/

We've had this several times before and it really is the easiest of recipes, and of course, I love to be able to chuck everything into the cauldron and let it do it's own thing for a while.

Right now we're being a it mindful of creating a bit of space in the freezers to allow for last minute prep and of course the ubiquitous leftovers, so I'm making half a batch. The lightbulb moment? Half of the eat, but all of the spices.

Oooops. It could end up being a bit perky! Thankfully, we have both sour cream and yoghurt in the fridge should drastic action be required.

Honestly, it a great recipe. I've only made it in the pressure cooker, but I am confident it'd be just as good on the slow cooker.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just tested the chilli. Oooooh. It's perky!

I've added a dollop of sour cream and a dollop of yoghurt in, just to smooth out the razor blade feel of it.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tori71 - I didn't realise you had non diabetic neuropathy as well. Mine resulted from the nerve damage post crash and has been my life for about 12 years now. Mostly it's the lower legs and feet but sometimes it creeps into the thighs - not fun! Like you I use movement (and classes) to release the muscles. Massage is a large part too.
It is annoying at night trying to get settled but I think if I ever woke up and my legs were 'normal' I would wonder what was wrong!
@maglil55 I didn't realise you were in a crash, having joined the site only recently. I'm so sorry you have another thing to contend with, and can honestly say that I know how it feels. You sound like you are managing it brilliantly although we both know chronic pain - especially that of the nerves - is very hard to treat with painkillers that work to a maximum of 50% at most. I am fortunate that about three years ago out of the blue my condition started to improve. I was taking 1800mg of the anti epileptic drug Gabapentin a day, I now take 300mg at night only. This improvement began as suddenly as the onset all those years ago and the Doctor is baffled! I read about nerve re-generation on google, something that was not thought to be possible once nerves were damaged. But wasn't it once though that once you had diabetes it couldn't be reversed;)! I tell you this as you never know what will happen in the future, although I don't know the prognosis for your neuropathy.
The neuropathy still keeps me awake at night (but not for eight hours as it used to) and I actually look quite well these days after 17 years of sleepwalking through life!
Oh, the irony of developing diabetes because of neuropathy!!!!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Loved my menu today - discovered my new favourite dessert. @Tori71 its the cream cheese brownies. Not sure I got them quite right but wow, sooo delicious.

OMAD day, with a little sneaky dessert tasting (one third of a CCB) shortly before dinner,

Dinner was roast boneless shoulder of lamb, scored, salted and coated in garlic butter and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary. Followed by the cream cheese brownies with a dollop of extra thick Jersey cream.

Got tin size wrong for the brownies and had to decant to a much smaller one so ended up with the full brownie mix and half of the cream cheese topping. Yummy, but haven’t quite got consistency right - even after being in the fridge for a while it needs serving with a spoon rather than cutting with a knife.
Couldn't open attached file yesterday for some reason, seems OK today. And oh my goodness I was salivating over the picture:D

Will be having a bash at these as soon I can:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

Reactions: maglil55

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast-Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bresaola, olives, tomatoes and cucumber. Strawberries, blueberries and extra rich double cream and one spoonful of h/m chocolate granola.
Dinner - Slice of deli turkey, sprouts, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower cheese (Aldi frozen aisle and surprisingly good), gravy. Aldi Mosser Roth 85% chocolate.
Snacks - nuts

Trip to Aldi this morning (heaving already) for the last of the Christmas shop - except fresh. Bought a small Christmas cake, mince pies and some crackers for the carbivores, Hickory smoked nut selection for me:angelic: (2.6g carbs per 100g) instead of the usual crisps in bowls. Some really nice food in there (as usual).

Happy Monday:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Hope you still have some tastebuds left @DCUKMod after your extrachillified chilli.
B: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
Spent most of the day Christmas shopping in Truro - found the new Hotel Chocolate shop and bought the nutty yule log. I dont think there will be 14 servings either, but it looks fabulous.
No lunch but didn’t miss it.
D: salmon fillet coated in sesame seeds fried in butter with roast sprouts and broccoli also the reclusive Aldi halloumi chips. Won’t bother with these again 9.3g carbs per 100g a single serving would be 5-6g but home made are nicer and fewer carbs so I’ll stick to them in future.
Lazy mousse to follow.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been very hungry today which has led to
1 soya milk cappuccino
1 cappucino made with Alpro coconut milk - wont be having that again - it sent my sugars up by 4mmol despite allegedly only having 3g carbs
Hebba pap porridge with soya cream
Dairy free chocolate chia seed pudding with flaked almonds
1 slice carbzone bread with Loch Fyne beetroot infused smoked salmon

Edited to add
833 cals, 26g carbs, 31g fibre

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 5 x 1 pints tea (Assam) with almond milk;
Dockey : Dog walk - Nordic walking with dogs could be a goer (fitbit gives 90 mins worth)
Lunch : Mocha coffee - Rowntrees cocoa 2 tsps, almond milk and cream
Afternoon: Tea with almond milk (1.5 pint mug); 5 x Dr Almond vanilla crescents; despite thermostat showing 24C and extra thick clothing my core was very,very cold so ate and had warm drink; still hungry so ate ½ tin chopped pork; exercise bike
Evening meal: Roast turkey leg; Celeriac and swede from a time long ago cooked in oven; 2 roasted portobello mushrooms
Just trying to make LC palatable to myself - goodness knows if that is an OK menu but nothing in there worried me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi All,

Yesterday was:
L: prawns in curried cream cheese with a teasp of not-v-sweet mango chutney
S: goatsmilk yog with cream and a blob of peanut butter
D: Mr B fancied a Chinese Takeaway. So did I! The menu isn’t particularly LC friendly (understatement), but I eventually chose their roast pork omelette. Goodness it was nice. And huge. Fed me and two ecstatic dogs (small dogs) with some left over.

I have magnanimously pointed out to Mr B that Chinese Takeaways are back on the menu. :couchpotato:

Today:
L: the rest of the curried prawns
D: will be home made lamb burgers (lots of) from the freezer, with minted garlic goatsmilk greek yog.

I’m ravenous, so off to start cooking.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 5 x 1 pints tea (Assam) with almond milk;
Dockey : Dog walk - Nordic walking with dogs could be a goer (fitbit gives 90 mins worth)
Lunch : Mocha coffee - Rowntrees cocoa 2 tsps, almond milk and cream
Afternoon: Tea with almond milk (1.5 pint mug); 5 x Dr Almond vanilla crescents; despite thermostat showing 24C and extra thick clothing my core was very,very cold so ate and had warm drink; still hungry so ate ½ tin chopped pork; exercise bike
Evening meal: Roast turkey leg; Celeriac and swede from a time long ago cooked in oven; 2 roasted portobello mushrooms
Just trying to make LC palatable to myself - goodness knows if that is an OK menu but nothing in there worried me.

Forgive me if I have asked this before, Ian, but, if you are regularly cold, when it doesn't make sense, have you had your thyroid checked? That's a very, very common symptom, but often dismissed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Hope you still have some tastebuds left @DCUKMod after your extrachillified chilli.
B: scrambled eggs and smoked salmon
Spent most of the day Christmas shopping in Truro - found the new Hotel Chocolate shop and bought the nutty yule log. I dont think there will be 14 servings either, but it looks fabulous.
No lunch but didn’t miss it.
D: salmon fillet coated in sesame seeds fried in butter with roast sprouts and broccoli also the reclusive Aldi halloumi chips. Won’t bother with these again 9.3g carbs per 100g a single serving would be 5-6g but home made are nicer and fewer carbs so I’ll stick to them in future.
Lazy mousse to follow.

We still have tastebuds, thankfully. With great dollops of sour cream and yoghurt added it was also very rich indeed. There's loads left, so I'm sort of hoping the "maturing" process doesn't make it much hotter.

tomtom 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Semi Green banana, Coffee with 1 tsp brown sugar and full fat jersey milk.
Morning snack: Red Leicester cheese.
Lunch: Croissant with turkey ham and cherry tomatoes, Coffee with 1 tsp brown sugar and full fat jersey milk.
Dinner: Chicken and mixed vegetable with bulgur wheat stir fry, Coffee with 1 tsp brown sugar and full fat jersey milk.

Carbs : 161g Fat: 75g Protein 93g.

BG 6.4 all day until 7.0 after Dinner.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We still have tastebuds, thankfully. With great dollops of sour cream and yoghurt added it was also very rich indeed. There's loads left, so I'm sort of hoping the "maturing" process doesn't make it much hotter.

You could always do a batch of just mince, and then dilute the spice by mixing the two batches...

(Though it sounds delicious, in a very intense way)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always do a batch of just mince, and then dilute the spice by mixing the two batches...

(Though it sounds delicious, in a very intense way)

We're sort of trying to eat down the freezers a bit to allow a defrost at some stage, and make room for the inevitable festive leftovers.

It's such a quick and easy recipe, it takes no time to knock a batch up. Very freezer and store cupboard friendly.

Reactions: Lainlainylain

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Bulk of day in Barnsley hospital with mum and pre operative assessment not successful in that decision made not to go ahead because of significant scarring at back of eye -+improvements to vision not deemed to be likely good enough as compared to risksof operation - but also managed teatime with brother and family - happy festive family get together
Breakfast bacon and egg and half slice of hi lo toast
Lunch picnic in hospital bits of ham., Cheese and walnuts
Teatime low carb lemon cake
Dinner steak, onions, tomatoes and mushroom sauce with red wine followed by low carb trifle
Packing mum up tomorrow and back down M1 and M42.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55