What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken and pistachios with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: peach chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: liver and bacon with mixed veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola. Then one of the low carb Bounties that I’ve made for Xmas didn’t quite make it into the freezer!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- So sorry to read about your mom's cancelled operation. Is her vision affected much by the scaring?

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Chicken breast cut into cubes and fried and some sate sauce (onion, 5-spice powder, kafir lime leaves, salt, erythritol, coconut milk and unsweetened peanut butter (peanut butter has 7g of carbs per 100g)).

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Bouillabaisse with sauce Rouille. Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. No wine tonight (missing it, but trying to abstain).

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@shelley262 -- So sorry to read about your mom's cancelled operation. Is her vision affected much by the scaring?

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Chicken breast cut into cubes and fried and some sate sauce (onion, 5-spice powder, kafir lime leaves, salt, erythritol, coconut milk and unsweetened peanut butter (peanut butter has 7g of carbs per 100g)).

Lunch: Nothing.

Snack: Two squares of 85% chocolate.

Dinner: Bouillabaisse with sauce Rouille. Lamb's lettuce with Caesar's dressing and parmesan. No wine tonight (missing it, but trying to abstain).
Hi Ziggy her vision is affected but it’s more future further deterioration that we are worried about. It’s possible that as it deteriorates more the risk versus benefits changes and they do it but risks of her having complications are too high at moment - with risks of loss of vision - so we will carry on with close monitoring and decision will be reviewed on a regular basis at her regular glaucoma appointments. She’s 88 in a couple of weeks and doing remarkably well overall - she’s happy to take it as it comes! Thank you for asking.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Tori71 you’ll be salivating even more once you’ve made them and I love the term ‘carbivore’!

@shelley262 sorry to hear about your mum. Hope you are both ok.

The Christmas round of large meals has officially begun. Our out of town team mates were in town today = CCBs to office and post work restaurant meal.

Lunch was a small piece of the cheesy bread with butter, the small piece of lamb left from yesterday and 2 pieces of the cream cheese brownie and cream I made yesterday.

Dinner at Turkish place near office. Mixed grill minus rice with salad and tzaziki. Dessert when I got home - small piece of lemon zucchini cake with cream. Couldn’t resist another piece of brownie.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I didn't realise you were in a crash, having joined the site only recently. I'm so sorry you have another thing to contend with, and can honestly say that I know how it feels. You sound like you are managing it brilliantly although we both know chronic pain - especially that of the nerves - is very hard to treat with painkillers that work to a maximum of 50% at most. I am fortunate that about three years ago out of the blue my condition started to improve. I was taking 1800mg of the anti epileptic drug Gabapentin a day, I now take 300mg at night only. This improvement began as suddenly as the onset all those years ago and the Doctor is baffled! I read about nerve re-generation on google, something that was not thought to be possible once nerves were damaged. But wasn't it once though that once you had diabetes it couldn't be reversed;)! I tell you this as you never know what will happen in the future, although I don't know the prognosis for your neuropathy.
The neuropathy still keeps me awake at night (but not for eight hours as it used to) and I actually look quite well these days after 17 years of sleepwalking through life!
Oh, the irony of developing diabetes because of neuropathy!!!!
Long time ago now but I still take a deep breath before I overtake a lorry. Getting thumped twice at 70 mph by one of these big beasts tends to make you a bit careful. Consultant told me there would be regeneration but only for 2 years. Still they told me I'd be in a wheelchair in 5 years and I'm still going strong 11 years on (although with a crutch). I can do most things but I have to pace myself. It takes a lot of work though but I have a great physio that picks up on muscle changes and adapts my exercise regime accordingly. I just regard myself as lucky as there have been so many people wiped out in similar accidents - and it let me retire at 53!

Reactions: DJC3

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long time ago now but I still take a deep breath before I overtake a lorry. Getting thumped twice at 70 mph by one of these big beasts tends to make you a bit careful. Consultant told me there would be regeneration but only for 2 years. Still they told me I'd be in a wheelchair in 5 years and I'm still going strong 11 years on (although with a crutch). I can do most things but I have to pace myself. It takes a lot of work though but I have a great physio that picks up on muscle changes and adapts my exercise regime accordingly. I just regard myself as lucky as there have been so many people wiped out in similar accidents - and it let me retire at 53!
You are such a positive person, good for you for proving them wrong!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @DCUKMod that chilli is now on my to do list this week! And I like it hot so may well follow your full spice, half everything else method!
Breakfast - protein peanut & chocolate bar with mug of tea
Mid-morning - large cappuccino
Lunch - 300g New Covent Garden wild mushroom soup - know making my own would be ideal but as I’m not organised I’ve found this isn’t too bad at 7.2g carb for that portion size and super yummy
Dinner - just finished eating so probably in for a higher fbg in the morning with it being so late :shifty:- My favourite roasted courgettes, cherry tomatoes & peppers with a Young’s Gastro cheese & leek fish bake - 9g carb for the portion
Got my first Hba1c test tomorrow since diagnosis. Not till 12pm but going to fast now till then as believe the nurse mentioned doing my 1st ever cholesterol test too and believe I’ve read on here that it’s worth fasting for so hoping 14hrs will do - going to swat up on those HDL’s and LDL’s so I’m prepared for the results Friday and any discussion the doctor may want to have

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed & FBG 5.7. Final Monday Aqua fit before the holidays. One more session on Thursday. Still a few parcels to arrive but almost there now. Hubby can start wrapping soon. Phase 2 of good behaviour started well. Hoping it continues tomorrow. No 2 informed me he loves all things pink but I've not to worry, he still loves me even 'though I'm not pink!
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Quick slice of that Morrisons wholemeal toasted as this class is early.
L. 2 97% pork chipolatas, fried egg , 3 rashers crispy streaky bacon, slice GF black pudding.
D. 2 plain sole, celeriac mash and the last of the swede mash. Scoop of halo top , 6 raspberries.

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy her vision is affected but it’s more future further deterioration that we are worried about. It’s possible that as it deteriorates more the risk versus benefits changes and they do it but risks of her having complications are too high at moment - with risks of loss of vision - so we will carry on with close monitoring and decision will be reviewed on a regular basis at her regular glaucoma appointments. She’s 88 in a couple of weeks and doing remarkably well overall - she’s happy to take it as it comes! Thank you for asking.

Hoping that your mother's good blood sugar levels are going to slow the deterioration. Keeping my fingers crossed.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
This is fun!
FBG 111– sorry I can’t find an easy way to convert US to the rest of the world. For reference, 100 is the top of normal, and 126 is diabetes.
Bfast: 1/2 avocado, soft boiled egg, “half caf” coffee with single ingredient soy milk and... cream!
Lunch: 3 tall stalks celery, 2+ tbsp low-ish fat peanut butter on a La Tortilla Factory small low carb high fiber tortilla
4:00ish: decaf coffee with... cream!
Supper: +/- 3 cups baby kale and spinach, a few tiny tomatoes, bite of red sweet pepper, tin of unsalted sardines in water (no added salt is a dream come true!) and a handful of almonds
Before bed: a few tbsp non fat skyr (Icelandic style yogurt it says)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is fun!
FBG 111– sorry I can’t find an easy way to convert US to the rest of the world. For reference, 100 is the top of normal, and 126 is diabetes.
Bfast: 1/2 avocado, soft boiled egg, “half caf” coffee with single ingredient soy milk and... cream!
Lunch: 3 tall stalks celery, 2+ tbsp low-ish fat peanut butter on a La Tortilla Factory small low carb high fiber tortilla
4:00ish: decaf coffee with... cream!
Supper: +/- 3 cups baby kale and spinach, a few tiny tomatoes, bite of red sweet pepper, tin of unsalted sardines in water (no added salt is a dream come true!) and a handful of almonds
Before bed: a few tbsp non fat skyr (Icelandic style yogurt it says)
Welcome to our world, won't you come on in. Good sounding menu and good to see you here. Look forward to learning more about your food choices.
Edit: I looked up the La Tortilla Factory info and may try in the off season - although Lo dough is still painfully etched in my memory - long story a few members here may share the pain

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

Lainlainylain

Hi everyone...

@shelley262 hugs for your mum

Today so far it’s been a couple of eggs and bacon, one black coffee, one with cream and a litre of water.

Tested this morning a couple of minutes after waking and my BG was 7.3...although it did go back down to the 6s after an hour it screwed with my head a bit and have been having fruit bread cravings all day.
Not going to give into that though..been there, got the t-shirt and of course I prefer eyesight and feet!;)

Decided to get the Kinect for my daughters xbox along with a dance and sports game will get the zumba...i think the warmup will do me in to start with but will be good to build some stamina

Got some salmon for later, daughter to her dad’s for a long weekend tomorrow evening so can just please myself for a few days!

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bresaola, olives, cucumber and tomatoes. Blueberries, strawberries and cream.
Dinner - Chicken and mushroom cacciatore, sprouts, carrots and broccoli. Home made chocolates.
Snacks - Almonds and cashews.

Taking it a bit easy today as no sleep at all last night. Decided to trial some more Christmas chocolates. Melted 75g of Aldi 85% chocolate with a teaspoon of erythritol (to sweeten for the carbivores, am going to patent this term @Goonergal ). This is optional, I like bitter chocolate but I know it's too much for others. Added a good teaspoon of orange essence and poured into moulds. Set in fridge, then got all artistic and dipped the top in more essence and rolled in the chocolate granola. By my calculations each chocolate is 1.38g of carbs.

Not sure if this is psychological but having one of the chocolates seemed more satisfying that eating some from the bar???!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. @Tori71 add a hug for no sleep. Know what that’s like.

Very erratic day of eating today. Team member going on maternity leave so took in cakes etc. Ate way too many bits of CCB (I cut them into small pieces (3 per bar) so there’s more to go round) and a piece each of raspberry clafoutis and lemon zucchini cake with double cream. No lunch and then an impromptu breadless kebab with onion and cabbage on the way home as dinner. Off to drinks with my Pilates class very shortly.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: 3 few pints tea (Assam) with almond milk; chill out songs; can’t solve the what to do about breakfast conundrum - Probably need some longish slow cardio on waking. (It usually boils down to working harder in the end)
Dockey : Green tea with the other wrinklies after my “swimming” lesson; coffee with cream on returning home
Lunch : Nordic walking with dogs then watching a man for all seasons (loved that since it was a school play) Robert Shaw as Henry VIIIth was a scary prefiguring of Trump
Afternoon: 16.00 pm Tea with almond milk 1.5 pint mug; 5 x Dr Almond vanilla crescents;
Evening meal:18.15 Large mackerel and avocado salad and plenty of chia seeds - football and plenty of logs on woodburner this evening
Did I like it? Yes; Is it LC and effective? Far more open to question; I took readings but goodness knows how accurate they are

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all back safe with mum tiring day but looking forward to own bed later. Managed to get packed, transported and unpacked! Journey mixed got stuck on m5 but at least only in post accident queue! @ziggy_w journey 3 hours but queue added half an hour today. Mum seems quite happy and have put extra lighting in her area of the lounge to help her vision which she is appreciating.
Breakfast bacon and egg
Picnic lunch cheese and nuts
Dinner chilli with glass red wine followed by low carb trifle.
Thank you for all your hugs and good wishes - we are fine. Mum is relieved to be honest she was concerned about the op which also showed in her BP in the pre op assessment as it was 170/84! So agree with surgeon that it’s best to delay until sight even worse and we need to look at improving her vision in other ways meanwhile and making things easier in terms of trip hazards etc but something we can handle. We also need to get her stronger glasses and interestingly I needed stronger glasses at an eye test a few weeks ago because of my improved low blood glucose and think this may be another issue for mum too so going to get this checked. Surgeon agreed it was worth a try. It’s weird but my distance vision got better when my sugars were high! So hoping same has affected mum too.
Takin mum shopping for clothes tomorrow morning and then meeting up with eldest son for a get together.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening meal:18.15 Large mackerel and avocado salad and plenty of chia seeds - football and plenty of logs on woodburner this evening
Did I like it? Yes; Is it LC and effective? Far more open to question; I took readings but goodness knows how accurate they are

I read that as meaning you ate 15 large mackrel, and thought 'Wow! Respect to @ianpspurs'. Drinking all that vast quantity of tea would be difficult enough, and I would struggle to eat just one small bit of mackrel. Then I read it again, properly. Still think 'Respect to @ianpspurs '.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday
Breakfast: Greek yogurt, coffee.
No lunch, just a long swimming pool session in middle of day, so best swimming on empty. Coffee with cream in mid-afternoon.
Dinner, early: left over lamb and cabbage, stir fried with onion.
2 litres water throughout the day.

Tuesday
No breakfast, early swimming pool session.
Lunch: veg soup, ham sandwich made with low carb muffin. (Yes, I dunked it in the soup. Amazing what you can get away with table manners wise when dining alone). Black coffee.
Dinner: Tuna steak, green beans, small piece (about a quarter) sweet potato. Low cal tonic water.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. No exciting food to report :
Breakfast : none as was fasting for bloods

Lunch : there’s a chip shop next door to my doctors and I thought go on, treat yourself, that’s 3 months LC done, bloods taken, today won’t hurt. So I had a small kebab meat in a tray with salad and mayo (no pitta and no chips) even my idea of treating myself has changed :angelic:
However the 2 mugs of tea I had when I returned to work were the best treat. Can’t believe how reliant I am on my morning cuppa.

Dinner : nothing - still insanely full from that small kebab meat which I didn’t even finish. Seems shrinking waistline definitely equals shrinking stomach capacity as I’d have demolished a large kebab in a pitta with chips only a few months ago!

Reactions: maglil55 and Pipp