What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

@Chook -- it is so good to see you back on the thread. Good luck with your upcomng blood tests.
@PenguinMum -- welcome to thread. Glad you joined us.
@Boo1979 -- what a nightmare. During my daily train commute to work, I have noticed that sometimes the train is delayed due to a the "deployment of an emergency medical team at the tracks." Because I was curious I googled it and apparently this means that there was a suicide. It really must be quite stressful to be a train conductor. Don't envy them.
@Goonergal -- Agree that the skin is the most delicious part of the chicken. I always buy chicken breast with skin on and then fry up the skin separately -- yum. I even once asked to buy the skin separately -- unfortunately the minimum quantity I would have to buy is 10 kg.
@maglil55 -- The dinner at your son's band's venue sounds absolutely to die for. Well done.
@Brunneria -- Glad to see you are feeling better.

Didn't post yesterday, so here are two days' worth of meals.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs with okra and cheese. A slice of homemade low-carb egg liqueur cake.

Dinner: A Wiener sausage. Soup with calf's tail, Brussels sprouts and Hokkaido pumpkin. Half a toasted low-carb flatbread with butter. A small slice of egg liqueur cake. One of the coconut bites (@DJC3's recipe). A glass of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Three scrambled eggs with okra and cheese. A slice of low-carb egg liqueur cake.

Dinner: Nothing with a glass of red wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, no air fryer, and Ive got my fingers in my ears singing lalala to myself so I don’t get drawn in. No room for any more gadgets lol.

I could be very wicked and point out Goonergal's post from ^^^^^ up there, then it'd be her fault when you bought one, but that wouldn't be too nice of me.

You could try the cook's torch, or hot air gun though........... they don't take up much space.

:)

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the topic of gadgets, on my visit to Lidl this morning, among other cooking related items they had:

- Air fryers
- Cooks blow torches
- Coffee grinders
- Mini choppers
- Vacuum sealers
- Mincers
- Slow cookers

I’m doomed! Got... to.... stay...away....from...Lidl...
Doh! Daughter works just next to one - have messaged her a shopping list!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Boo1979 ..what a horrendous experience., hope your all recovered.

And nice to see you too, @PenguinMum
(cheers for the hug, other post..:) )

foods today....
B was GY and blueberries,
raced off to work.:)woot:)

L was leftover chicken and some salad.

D was meatballs (4) with the tom & chilli sauce i used other day.,
butternut squash and spinach croquettes (2)
and brocoli ala jj...smashing all round again. missus loved, and scores good.

BUT why i posted was i thought i'd try some double cream for the fats.
So cream & strawberries for pudding..(not something i normally have )

Browsing forum ( i love to know more about what THIS is and HOW to deal with it better.)
when i hit this thread
And thought..i'm normally think about some chocolate or cheese this late..i try to ignore, but it's there in my head.
and tonight's it's not..coincidence..maybe.

but while i've go the cream i'll try it in coffee for the next day or so, see if it makes a difference.

Ya all have a good nights sleep, see you all tomorrow, i hope..:)

Last edited:

set-in-stone

Yesterday -
Breakfast: sardine omelette and BPC.
Lunch - Nil. Was checking out the Sales in the shops.
Dinner - 2x fried eggs, green beans and mixed veg.

Hope to restart OMAD from today to make up for the sins of the past week... plenty of those!
Will be tough as I am home. Maybe daytime tv will help take my mind off food o_O

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m doomed! Got... to.... stay...away....from...Lidl...
Doh! Daughter works just next to one - have messaged her a shopping list!

I had a mini chopper in my basket, but put it back. I have one already, this one just looked nicer! Tempted by the blow torch but really not sure how much I’d use it. May be going back to Lidl tonight - a short train ride from my Pilates class....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a mini chopper in my basket, but put it back. I have one already, this one just looked nicer! Tempted by the blow torch but really not sure how much I’d use it. May be going back to Lidl tonight - a short train ride from my Pilates class....

Well done putting the mini chopper back! It’s a risky business popping back in though, stay strong!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The cook's torch is useful for carckling up rind that otherwise just won't seem to play the game. You do have to be careful as it can go from doing nicely to black charred in a seconds.

The secret is to have the flame far enough away from the target object, as that gives a better controlled result and no chance of any butane flavour either.

If you do buy one, please do be very careful where you use it as it's hot, hot, HOT, with the potential to damage worktops and so on. I usually use it on our stainless steel prep bench as that's obviously very durable. I'd otherwise probably use it on top of the hob, or outside in good weather.

I have also used a hot air gun for crackling. It's a smidge slower, but maybe more controllable. I don't know how it would do on the brulee though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the blowtorch - used for the keto creme brulee. It's a good little torch for the price. Had it a while now.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask you all about HC batons which I was given for Christmas. They are 100% Dark Ecuador but on back are 29.3 carb (no sugar) /100g whereas my usual Lindt 90% is only 14g carbs/100g. It doesnt make sense to me. Should I have them or give them away? Any advice appreciated.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Chicken, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, cream cheese stuffed peppers, a small handful of vegetable crisps. Strawberries and thick cream..
Dinner: Chicken, gravy, sprouts, carrots, green beans and cauliflower cheese. Mosser Roth chocolate and one Lindt lindor milk chocolate which was sickly sweet :depressed:
I discovered last year I no longer liked Lindor (or roses ...or quality street). All way too sweet now. I don't even feel the need now to try one just to make sure I still don't like them.

Reactions: DJC3 and Tori71

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have an air fryer? I'm experimenting with various skins in the AF.

I made some pea and ham soup the other day, with the stock from a gammon hock. Needless to say I skinned the hock before it went into the cauldron. Actually that rind is in the freezer, but it'll be fabulous when metamorphosed into crackling.
I do (have an air fryer) but then that will hardly come as a surprise. Chicken skins I reckon are the best but kale is pretty good too with panchetta through it and pine nuts chucked in at the end. I've also done sprouts and green beans in it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On the topic of gadgets, on my visit to Lidl this morning, among other cooking related items they had:

- Air fryers
- Cooks blow torches
- Coffee grinders
- Mini choppers
- Vacuum sealers
- Mincers
- Slow cookers
Thankfully I don't need any of them (because I have them all).

Reactions: Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Er,.......... If one counts the IP as a slow cooker, as it has that functionality, one has all those things.

The blow torch can be so therapeutic at times, and would definitely crisp salmon skin, @ianpspurs , in literally no time at all.
I can add to that the IP (I have a separate slow cooker too), the Kenwood (now with 5 attachments), a pizza oven , a large George, a raclette and hot stone, a Magimix, 2 buffet servers. That's all I can think of. The Magimix will be heading to te charity shop collection point with the stand alone blender.
You can see why Hubby believes I have a problem