What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because we are NOT an inconvenience to shuffled around and dismissed, out of hand.
We are the reason they have empolyment,
During the phone calls jjraak I was advised they have 13000 patients...doctor cannot call everyone of them...I said I just wanted him to call me not the other 12999...asked to speak to the practice manager (who conveniently was in a meeting)...asked to wait...waited ten minutes then told she (the receptionist) had called the manager out of the meeting...they had got me an appointment for 17:10 on Friday the 25th...pointed out if I couldn't make the first one that day at 16:20 because I would be at work until 8-9pm how could I make the second...said my disappointment with the practice was diminishing moment by moment...said it wouldn't it kill the GP's to divert from their schedule for a minute or so...whereas high blood pressure might kill me or another patient...that was it...I'd obviously gone too far and she wasn't prepared to be spoken to like that...so now I am identified a an abuser of staff...wonder what the penalty is for that.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trouble is that no doubt all that hassle has put up your blood pressure even more! Hugs coming your way - warm ones needed today
shelley I'm just so tired of having to take them on time after time...all I wanted to know was do I need an appointment or do we wait & monitor it...finally after three conversations with a receptionist I am told the doctor says he is not unduly worried but if I want to come in them I can...***...it's draining...really draining.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
During the phone calls jjraak I was advised they have 13000 patients...doctor cannot call everyone of them...I said I just wanted him to call me not the other 12999...asked to speak to the practice manager (who conveniently was in a meeting)...asked to wait...waited ten minutes then told she (the receptionist) had called the manager out of the meeting...they had got me an appointment for 17:10 on Friday the 25th...pointed out if I couldn't make the first one that day at 16:20 because I would be at work until 8-9pm how could I make the second...said my disappointment with the practice was diminishing moment by moment...said it wouldn't it kill the GP's to divert from their schedule for a minute or so...whereas high blood pressure might kill me or another patient...that was it...I'd obviously gone too far and she wasn't prepared to be spoken to like that...so now I am identified a an abuser of staff...wonder what the penalty is for that.
Blue Peter badge?

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
..said it wouldn't it kill the GP's to divert from their schedule for a minute or so...whereas high blood pressure might kill me or another patient...that was it...I'd obviously gone too far and she wasn't prepared to be spoken to like that...so now I am identified a an abuser of staff...wonder what the penalty is for that.

I think DEATH...but not sure.

I felt unwell, just made it to doctors, progressively getting worse,
Breathlessly explained to receptionist, my dire straights...was having asthma attack, can't breathe ...meds not working...
"Your appointments in 15 minutes, there are others in front of you..NEXT"

Survived.
Got seen.
Made complaint.
Received full apology.
CCTV reviewed.
Reception team retrained.

I'm not their favourite either.;)

A health concern that, to the person may be critical, sounds a justifiable reason to be concerned.
Can't see why anyone would see that any other way.

Seems like receptionist was stressed, maybe needs a little more guidance in HELPFULLY addressing patients concerns.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A health concern that, to the person may be critical, sounds a justifiable reason to be concerned.
Can't see why anyone would see that any other way.

Seems like receptionist was stressed, maybe needs a little more guidance in HELPFULLY addressing patients concerns.
jjrakk we've heard that so many times 'you've identified a training need'...the same old trite hackneyed excuse...I have spoken to our local health watch who would be willing to approach the surgery formally...told them for now I am content to deal with it myself if I receive no satisfactory response I will get back to them...I am about to ask for their procedure on viewing my full patient record...I had assumed a standard subject request access letter would do the trick sadly it won't...so if necessary a FOI request which I will have to pay for may be the way to go...WOW...what a palava to have to go through.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 today, very late dinner due to having lots of family around. And we had crackers and cheese and nuts pretty late too.

Yesterday I went with my special needs family member for his first DN meeting. 1 hour appointment with an extremely lovely DN. I listened intently whilst she spoke to him. Most bits ok actually (low carbs low sugar advice given although she did emphasise it's about.portion size!), bits not so good. Cholesterol a bit high for their liking but they want to sort the diabetes with meds first. I asked about cholestrol breakdown blood test. At this point she was very firm and said it wasnt necessary! I could have been more firm and insisted but i didnt want family member to get stressed. It's early days and statins not suggested 'at this point ' although flu jab was (no thanks and that was family member!). Will cross the bridge of statins when we get there.

DN said no need to finger prick! I did say how surprised that testing lots not given. Financial as well as people didn't used to bother was her reason. Those that should have bothered didn't and those that didn't need to did were her exact words. Apparently only 2 categories!

Hba1c 95
To get this down its metformin
Metformin 500 for 1 week
1000 in the 2nd week
1500 in the 3rd week
And 2000 in 4th week if no issues.
If issues slow release an option.

I had told her during the appointment that i was myself type 2 so could help him a lot. Only passed her the inspirational stories booklet, blood glucose testing leaflet and 'we kicked diabetes butt, Dr Unwin paper at the end of the appointment. Told her about the presentation 27 Feb for anyone interested, diabetic/prediabetic/ family or friends who want to help. She looked a bit surprised but said thankyou. We had over run and next pt due.

Home for a low carb dinner and a chat about how we can best work this out. Its a work in.progress.

Happy hump day folks.

More emulsioning for me. Get more on me than i do on the walls!

Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
6.9 this morning, must have been those squats (and watching the carbs like a hawk yesterday). Appointment with DSN this morning to pick it all over with. First time back at morris playing my mandolin last night after a long break due to cardiomyopathy. Lovely to see everyone. Hope everyone here is managing to stay warm today, very chilly here in London.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is cold, stories of poor awareness of patient concerns/urgent issues and graphic illustration of WTFery from glucometer variability. Off topic or not, since I don't do cats under any circumstances, memory from 2 years ago today may lighten mood. Found this wigwam structure while walking dogs with grandson - to this day remember that as easily in top 5 best things in my life. The fat fella is me with several layers on (same basic shape as avatar.)
oDLFsKznp3HyFPO1fFFVKDKaUP6JVoWbMSTAfJePKhNdRybuWPPuP8EXoaTtKFwYJ3o43RSc7u0vfyJK-XJARmYio3Z1aIw3IWDMRn0YwihviUu2WslkUB20rBxW7s0hONn5Celk

Last edited:

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
All the best with that @Ziggy2017 and hope that the people at Newcastle can sort you out.
Seems strange that a transplant can cause diabetes but I have a friend who also experienced this. Is it the anti-rejection drugs?
Yes I think it is down to my steroids and tacrolimus I think they raise blood sugars increasing the risk of diabetes

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Morning everyone sugar was 6.0 today everything went ok at freeman’s hospital but they want me to come back to get an acid reflux test as that may be what is causing the cough and they also want to go down and look at my lungs. Have a good day everyone

M

Member496333

5.9 today. I'm ok with that. Putting it down to the copious amount if paperwork I did yesterday!

Off to the DN with my brother in law for his first appointment after diagnosis. He is doing really well :)

Have a good day everyone.

I'm working on visuals for my presentation. What are you thoughts on attached? Too much? I'm doing the ' how many sugars in potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, cereals, juice visuals but looking for more bits that will hit the mark withput going over board. I've got over a month to prepare so I'm not panicking...at this stage!!!

That is amazing. No, not too much. For effect I would increase 50,000 to 2 million :D

Reactions: Debandez

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take your pick... same blood drop!
View attachment 30782

Frustrating as it is, your post has cheered me up a bit - I use the Code free and my readings recently have often been quite a lot higher than I’m expecting. I can take a bit of comfort in thinking Codefree reads high and not feel glum because I can’t see a reason for the high reading.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morning..so peed off .. spent most of the afternoon yesterday waiting for a response from my GP on my elevated blood pressure...something which does worry me...he's written to me...no letter arrives so I ring and ask if they can email me a copy...'oh we'll have to find someone to do that'...finally they read it to me over the phone...although higher than they'd like GP is not unduly worried about the rise...says I can make an appointment to discuss it if I wish...he doesn't have an appointment free until the 20th of February I ask can I wait or do I need to see him sooner...finally after a discussion I am offered an appointment for Friday at 16:20...cant do that working advise them wont be home until around 8-9pm..another phone call offered another appointment for Friday at 17:10...don't you just feel like screaming...when I make my concerns know the receptionist exclaims 'I am not having you speak to me like that' the phone goes down...I have to regroup & decide what to do about this...woke to a 5.8

Morning
1 question if you don't mind, what was your blood pressure?
Like you I have had battles with GP's receptionists, but thankfully my practice has now a friendly team.
As we all are aware stress will cause blood sugars and blood pressures to rise.
Take care.

Reactions: SaskiaKC and jjraak

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning
1 question if you don't mind, what was your blood pressure?
Like you I have had battles with GP's receptionists, but thankfully my practice has now a friendly team.
As we all are aware stress will cause blood sugars and blood pressures to rise.
Take care.
After I'd been very ill alf and first saw this GP he didn't take my BP...didn't do any health checks...one of my family said it should have been checked so we bought a monitor and it was 200/110 back in 2016...I was given an emergency appointment...BP meds which I managed to come off after six months...sincet then it's been stable...recently it went up inexplicably...over the course of a week it got to 154/85...then slightly up...then down again...now up again 180/84 last night...all I wanted to know was do I need to see him now or can I wait & continue to monitor it at home...nothing more.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frustrating as it is, your post has cheered me up a bit - I use the Code free and my readings recently have often been quite a lot higher than I’m expecting. I can take a bit of comfort in thinking Codefree reads high and not feel glum because I can’t see a reason for the high reading.
Me too DJC3 6.4 this morning on my Codefree. As soon as I deplete the strips might invest in a Tee2.
@Ziggy2017 glad the hospital are helping. Stay warm.
@ianpspurs sorry you dont like cats please dont hold it against me! Hope your aches and pains are improving.
Have a great Wed everyone. Stay well, safe and warm.