What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
..I was given an emergency appointment...BP meds which I managed to come off after six months...since then it's been stable...recently it went up inexplicably...over the course of a week it got to 154/85...then slightly up...then down again...now up again 180/84 last night...all I wanted to know was do I need to see him now or can I wait & continue to monitor it at home...nothing more.

Thanks for the reply.
Now I'm not medically qualified in anyway shape or form, but I do have high blood pressure along with a host of other medical problems.
Here's what I do now every morning..
I use Mrs J's blood pressure machine in the morning after doing my blood sugars, then I take my blood pressure 3 times, twice on one arm and finally on the other arm.
I write down my readings so I have a record to show my GP's and hospital doctors.
I now have a total of 14 days readings NONE of which are the same.

At today's GP consultation the GP asked me to continue taking the readings, which I will do so.
I will quote my highest reading and my lowest reading. 154/101 and 121/73.
Please note I am on some very serious medication which raises blood pressure and blood pressure medication which is under review at the moment, so don't inferr anything from my readings.
But it might help you to feel more comfortable if you do the same as me with multiple readings, expect variations between each reading.
Good luck and if possible try to relax.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Isn't the internet full of pictures and videos of cats doing whatever cats do and people inexplicably billing and cooing over them??

Ahh kitten tikka masala,...... I am assured Indian takeaways have cleaned up their practices these days.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply.
Now I'm not medically qualified in anyway shape or form, but I do have high blood pressure along with a host of other medical problems.
Here's what I do now every morning..
I use Mrs J's blood pressure machine in the morning after doing my blood sugars, then I take my blood pressure 3 times, twice on one arm and finally on the other arm.
I write down my readings so I have a record to show my GP's and hospital doctors.
I now have a total of 14 days readings NONE of which are the same.

At today's GP consultation the GP asked me to continue taking the readings, which I will do so.
I will quote my highest reading and my lowest reading. 154/101 and 121/73.
Please note I am on some very serious medication which raises blood pressure and blood pressure medication which is under review at the moment, so don't inferr anything from my readings.
But it might help you to feel more comfortable if you do the same as me with multiple readings, expect variations between each reading.
Good luck and if possible try to relax.
alf I do exactly the same...I have had a BP monitor since 2016 & like you...I have had no alarms on it for the previous two years...until a couple of weeks ago.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't the internet full of pictures and videos of cats doing whatever cats do and people inexplicably billing and cooing over them??
The cats in this house do nothing but hug the radiator or the cosiest chair forcing themselves to visit the food bowl when necessary and reluctantly going out first thing for their Ablutions. I think you have god cats all wrong. Do like the idea of you playing wigwam with the grandchildren though!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
alf I do exactly the same...I have had a BP monitor since 2016 & like you...I have had no alarms on it for the previous two years...until a couple of weeks ago.

Bubbsie, does your Doctor not do telephone consultations? Our GP does, and it's so much easier to get an appointment on that basis. Obviously where they need to view a nasty little rash, or feel for a lump or bump, they're not appropriate, but for discussing test results, it's fab.

When I use the service, the appointment is always for "after 11am", with the call coming between 11am and 1pm - between surgeries.

I'm having regular blood tests at the moment, so using thius service a lot. A couple of months ago, when we were agreeing when the next thrilling installment would be, she remarked it'd be good to see me, as it'd been months and months.

I can't book telephone consultations online. I have to call to make them, or arrange on a rolling basis with the GP, and she puts it "in the book".

Reactions: HarryBeau

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have been taking Losartan Potassium for sometime now years in fact. I have a monitor which I use regularly and my fitness tracker monitors blood pressure as well which I have calibrated against my home monitor so though not highly clinically accurate is pretty close it is now reading 121/79 in my view not to bad.

I find it a very good tool for keeping an eye on the general trend of what my bp is doing.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Well this is a first.... woke up to a 7.3 :wideyed:.

Very pleased with this number compared to all the other awful ones but I have woken up feeling so hungry and feeling sick (perhaps because I’m not used to this level in the mornings)....

Have a lovely day everyone!
@SB.25 probably a false hypo as your sugars seemed to be in the higher ranges

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs -- Sorry, could you please explain the relationship between cats and wigwams?

@Bubbsie @jjraak @Debandez -- could you all get together maybe and collaborate on improving health care? Serious question, I'm not trying to be funny or snarky.

@bulkbiker having seen your meters I now know why none of my fingers were willing to let their blood down this morning. They were all trying to hide behind each other: No, you go. No, you go. No, you go.

And all that for a 6.4. I'm not even going to say what the temperature here is!

Great idea! At the moment we seem to spend our time fighting against the establishment but crossing fingers that we can have another Birmingham type of event later this year where we can join forces. We can get the PR team on board to get the publicity needed to spread the word on how this woe just works!! It's not even rocket science and mystified me why it isn't standard advice given out! Better together for sure .

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
@SB.25 probably a false hypo as your sugars seemed to be in the higher ranges
Yes I agree, I think my body is just not used to being low (my first HBa1C was 103o_O). I seem to be stuck on 10's in the morning at the moment despite what I eat at night... I'm going to call the nurses and ask to put my insulin up slightly. I have an appointment with consultant on 15th February so he may change my insulin regime anyway :).

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
its so frustrating bubbsie these receptionists think their the drs sometimes :mad:hope you get sorted soon x
I refer to the receptions at my GP surgeries as bouncers!

They can be so rude, even the GP's complain about them!

I was recently the subject of an internal investigation at the GP surgery as one of the receptionists told me I couldn't have any testing strips despite being on insulin and also my diabetes consultant sending through requests for strips to be issued immediately. Basically one of the GP's or nurses had overheard what had been said to me and escalated it.

The GP said the receptionist had to be let go as it was treated as a serious incident..... I felt bad for the guy but the receptionists need to realise they are not the doctors!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frustrating as it is, your post has cheered me up a bit - I use the Code free and my readings recently have often been quite a lot higher than I’m expecting. I can take a bit of comfort in thinking Codefree reads high and not feel glum because I can’t see a reason for the high reading.

@DJC3 for over a year the Codefree gave me very consistent readings - odd strange one, but sure that happens with all meters. All of a sudden readings became more and more inconsistent and much higher. Something changed, and my new meter is demonstrating that the change wasn’t in me!

Reactions: SaskiaKC and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly Mine is the opposite! My HbA1c was 39 but fingerprick average was 33.4. Worries me a bit as I don’t have much wriggle room and if figures are genuinely going up then HbA1c is heading out of non- diabetic region. Trying not to panic as that’ll just make things worse.

@DJC3 have you seen this thread? My HbA1c is routinely higher than finger prick tests (7 a day minimum) suggest. Seems very common. The detail in this thread is a great insight into the shortcomings of the HbA1c.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/2-hba1cs-2-labs-1-blood-sample.154627/

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 for over a year the Codefree gave me very consistent readings - odd strange one, but sure that happens with all meters. All of a sudden readings became more and more inconsistent and much higher. Something changed, and my new meter is demonstrating that the change wasn’t in me!
It was The Elite trying to overturn the will of the person. You are now free to strike your own deal:angelic:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No I hadn’t, thanks very much, I’ll have a browse now.
I’m glad you new meter is giving better, more reliable results - which one is it?
Has anyone else tried the Trumpometer? - amazingly accurate. Just the best ever:angelic:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I hadn’t, thanks very much, I’ll have a browse now.
I’m glad you new meter is giving better, more reliable results - which one is it?

It’s the Tee2. Ordered strips by phone and got the meter thrown in for free (read about someone else - @xfieldok ? - doing the same so gave it a try). It’s a bit more fiddly to use than the Codefree (despite being bigger) but has Bluetooth so readings automatically sync to an app on my phone.

Reactions: ziggy_w