What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs what is it they say about people who keep trying the same thing again and again with the same unacceptable results? Frozen vegetable eaters? I hope very much that Julie will respond to treatment.
@ziggy_w carob powder! When you fist mentioned it the other day I thought you meant as substitute for the chocolate! That was a “thing” in the ‘70’s, as chocolate was a villain. I’m not remembering why though. As a result I tried over and over to make carob taste good, but all I did was put myself off it for life. So, a food starch, eh. Hmmmm.
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, not-CW not-C (ran out of C!). Can I call my drink DWSC “decaf with soy+cream”? ;)
Lunch seltzer
First supper peanut butter stirred well with farmer cheese. Was supposed to be skyr but oops it was frozen! That was fuel for
Ballet class, What Fun Fun Fun!!
Late supper as I post here: two slices of an experiment. I wanted flavorful rich microwave mug bread, and I got it!
2 egg whites.
About 2 tbsp EV olive oil
Salt.
Beat or whisk with fork in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup.
Add 1/4 cup almond meal and 1/4 cup mixed flax and coconut flour and a spoon of oat fiber (the total 1/2 cup dry ingredients may well be completely up for grabs, but this combo is much much better than the original all almond flour) . About 3/4 tsp baking powder. Stir well with enough liquid (I used water as in a hurry) to make a mug cake type batter. Microwave for at least 2 minutes and then add whatever time you guess might be right. Let cool in mug a minute or two, turn out and slice as desired. I just now ate mine with more olive oil poured over it and it was a 10/10! Store refrigerated. Haven’t done carb count but it can’t be very high, right? I’m going to edit my existing CMT recipe to reflect these adjustments. (Soon but not this minute).
Good night anybody who’s still up, and good morning those who will rise soon, I’m looking at you @Goonergal
Edit for recipe weird format.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, @ianpspurs . I hope MrsP starts perking up soon. Are they testing to see if antibiotics might be useful in any way?

Eons ago, I had a period of polyarthritis rhuematica, as a reaction to a flu/rubella virus. It was very nasty indeed and very disabling (I couldn't get my arms high enough to brush my hair, for example), but it passed in time.

At the time, I was told to take large doses of aspirin, which was never going to be happening.

Poor woman.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 - I have a bit of a challenge for you. :)

Yesterday evening, we ate in what has become our fave place here (having found it frustratingly late in the day, in terms of our trip). The chef/owner is Michelin star trained and her food is fantastic.

Last night after my own Green Curry with chicken, and my OH's Sweet and Sour chicken (totally different to any western offering I have seen or tasted), she can out with a couple of sweetmeats on sticks. http://www.lionbrand.com.au/blog/recipe-thai-kanom-luk-chup

As is well know, I'm not a dessert person, and indeed I only tried a little so as not to insult our host, but even that wasn't what I was expecting either! Ours were globe shaped, and were "spares" for a dessert that was going to a wedding party. From the photo she showed us, the dessert that went was lots of these little spheres, in a heart shape. It looked lovely.

Anyway, on tasting this thing was like a Malteser sized sphere, coated in coloured gelatine. The innards had the texture of a very smooth marzipan, but the flavour was definitely very much of coconut, as opposed to any taste of mund bean. To a non-sweet eater, it wasn't completely vile, and my OH liked it, albeit he wouldn't want a lot of it.

Anyway, I'm maybe sort od thinking it could be fauxed, using some ground almonds and blended to a powder dessicate coconut, then adding coconut cream as the binding agent? As they were very sweet, I'm guessing some granulated, or pwdered sweetener too. What do you think?

I'm sort of thinking they could be useful ad a different sort of fat bomb - although the coconut has more carbs than a "traditional" fat bomb, but also useful for dinner parties and the like.

Any views anyone?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod those little sweetmeats look interesting, just like the little marzipan fruits. I’d love to try one, but for me far too fiddly to attempt these days. I used to be quite an adventurous cook when I had no time to do it, now I have time but have lost the inclination!
They certainly look more appetising than those bugs on sticks.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what is it they say about people who keep trying the same thing again and again with the same unacceptable results? Frozen vegetable eaters? I hope very much that Julie will respond to treatment.
@ziggy_w carob powder! When you fist mentioned it the other day I thought you meant as substitute for the chocolate! That was a “thing” in the ‘70’s, as chocolate was a villain. I’m not remembering why though. As a result I tried over and over to make carob taste good, but all I did was put myself off it for life. So, a food starch, eh. Hmmmm.
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, not-CW not-C (ran out of C!). Can I call my drink DWSC “decaf with soy+cream”? ;)
Lunch seltzer
First supper peanut butter stirred well with farmer cheese. Was supposed to be skyr but oops it was frozen! That was fuel for
Ballet class, What Fun Fun Fun!!
Late supper as I post here: two slices of an experiment. I wanted flavorful rich microwave mug bread, and I got it!
2 egg whites.
About 2 tbsp EV olive oil
Salt.
Beat or whisk with fork in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup.
Add 1/4 cup almond meal and 1/4 cup mixed flax and coconut flour and a spoon of oat fiber (the total 1/2 cup dry ingredients may well be completely up for grabs, but this combo is much much better than the original all almond flour) . About 3/4 tsp baking powder. Stir well with enough liquid (I used water as in a hurry) to make a mug cake type batter. Microwave for at least 2 minutes and then add whatever time you guess might be right. Let cool in mug a minute or two, turn out and slice as desired. I just now ate mine with more olive oil poured over it and it was a 10/10! Store refrigerated. Haven’t done carb count but it can’t be very high, right? I’m going to edit my existing CMT recipe to reflect these adjustments. (Soon but not this minute).
Good night anybody who’s still up, and good morning those who will rise soon, I’m looking at you @Goonergal
Edit for recipe weird format.

I’m laughing at your DCWS - I think this will go on and on - I’m enjoying TWAM ( tea with almond milk) at the moment.
What have you started @Caeseji

Reactions: zauberflote

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 It's funny what you were saying about tea rooms, as we feel the same now. It was almost a ritual for us to find places for tea and cake whenever we were on holiday. Funnily enough, we still seek out nice cafés wherever we are, but the treat is a delicious coffee which we savour. We found two lovely cafés today and thoroughly enjoyed our coffees.

Breakfast: Yes, you guessed it, chia
Two cheeky coffees with cream (at Betws-y-Coed and Capel Curig) and a couple of these: .

You’re right, life hasn’t ended because we no longer eat cake, and at least most serve decent coffee these days too. You seem to be having a marvellous time.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod those little sweetmeats look interesting, just like the little marzipan fruits. I’d love to try one, but for me far too fiddly to attempt these days. I used to be quite an adventurous cook when I had no time to do it, now I have time but have lost the inclination!
They certainly look more appetising than those bugs on sticks.

To be brutally frank, unless they were being made for an extra, extra special occassion, they wouldn't be formet prettily. I'd likely do them in a snall tray, then add the gelatine to the top, then cut into squares. There'd be a white (ish, if almonds are in the mixture) layer, then a coloured layer on top.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, @ianpspurs . I hope MrsP starts perking up soon. Are they testing to see if antibiotics might be useful in any way?

Eons ago, I had a period of polyarthritis rhuematica, as a reaction to a flu/rubella virus. It was very nasty indeed and very disabling (I couldn't get my arms high enough to brush my hair, for example), but it passed in time.

At the time, I was told to take large doses of aspirin, which was never going to be happening.

Poor woman.
Dr said no infection just viral and a very bad reaction. In a similar way to your story started with knee which aggravated long term back issue then seemed to move to shoulder and arm.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr said no infection just viral and a very bad reaction. In a similar way to your story started with knee which aggravated long term back issue then seemed to move to shoulder and arm.

She has my sympathy. It was a miserable time in my world

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod I wouldn’t make them myself, but I do love marzipan (which I thought of immediately I saw the pic), and the little treats were indeed adorable!
Rainy not-chilly day here, spring has sprung! Yesterday morning I discovered that while we were gone, the front yard had covered itself in violets!! I’ve been waiting for them... now we have the ongoing dilemma, yard-guy son has instructions to mow when Mom says she’s ok with you whacking down the violets and little crocus patch. The violets persist, the “grass” becomes very unsightly, and Mom is still loving the violets. Nobody else gives a hoot!
No, there will be no violets on today’s menu, but there won’t be any C in my DWS until I go grocery shopping either.
What would happen if you tried to make little confections out of flower petal paste with sweetener? Not that I would harvest, wash, and pound 9,000 violet leaves! Would it keep its color?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@ziggy_w It really is and my Grandma is really into it now that she's out of the 'flu' stages so she wants to get some cookbooks going and really go whole hog which makes my life easier let me tell you.

@DJC3 I regret NOTHING about this! Happy that @zauberflote and @Goonergal are now a part of this, the acronym games shall spread!

@ianpspurs Goodness though I hope she feels better soon, seeing these updates is really good though and I am going to keep everything crossed for a recovery and for you to be feeling better soon.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Today turned into an OMAD day due to a huge lunch.

@dunelm finally got around to trying your carnivore pizza recipe. Tweaked it a bit - used 80g pork crackling. Saw the 90g bag of Mr Porky, but it had all sorts of additives (including MSG) so went for 2 x 40g bags of Awfully Posh pork crackling which contains only pork rind and salt; omitted cheddar and doubled quantity of mozzarella. Topping was pepperoni and some Polish Wiejska sausage plus some sliced mozzarella left over from last week.

Ingredients formed a very dough like ball and pizza was a good size. Would probably roll it out a bit thinner - at least in the middle - another time as only the crust got crispy. Might also try without the egg. Tasted pretty good.

Dessert was the whipped creamy cheese chocolate mousse.

Edited to correct typo.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Got a poorly husband - actually think it’s food poisoning. He had a kebab late last night after the theatre (thankfully I declined) and today he’s got sickness, severe stomach pain and running a temperature. Hoping by tomorrow it will have passed. So fending for myself I’ve managed:
B: usual peanut & chocolate protein bar with coffee
L: the warehouse man kindly offered to do a McDonald’s run as no Mike meant I’m on my own in the office and couldnt leave. So a bunless spicy signature burger - my first time eating McDonalds with a knife and fork :joyful: but it did the job in the situation
D: got my bacon & mushroom casserole in the oven. Off swimming in a bit but am definitely eating a portion when I return. Cooked a huge amount so can have for breakfast and lunch if needs be tomorrow

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - hungry and busy day today
Did early morning gym and swim which enjoy but am finding swimming makes me hungry later!
Late breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch half avocado with tin mackerel in olive oil and seeded lc crispbreads followed by 10 100% hc choc buttons
Dinner diet doctor keto lasagne, green salad and glass red wine followed by sf jelly, yoghurt and splodge of cream.
Hope everyone has a good evening
btw @Caeseji congrats on how well you’re doing both your results and getting your family on board my OH has taken time to adapt but now eats mostly what I do with a few added carby bits and he likes the results re his weight and how he feels. The more you shift as a family the more likely you will be able to keep going in right direction for your health.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, thank you all for hugs and good wishes for Julie. Secondly. hugs to Mr @Emma_369 for #kebabgate. Today had neat contrasts - was my mum's birthday so placed new flowers on the grave, strimmed and titivated then this evening a facetime with granddaughter. The day sort of unfolded itself into an unplanned OMAD. Moved over to the dark side for me. Milky's Halum fries (250 gms); 6 rashers streaky bacon (sounds plenty but had to send out search party on the plate); 2 eggs; 2 portobello mushrooms; 3 Powters Prize Pig sausages (GF and 0.1 gms carb per sausage it says); reduced sugar and salt tomato ketchup - really couldn't eat that food without. Allegedly, 430 cals short of expenditure and around 10 gms carb.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : One slice of toasted Burgan bread with some cheddar cheese. One clementine.
Lunch : Bowl of stewed rhubarb and Greek youghurt.
Dinner : Chicken and bacon pieces in a low carb friendly pasta sauce but with Konjac rice. With tinned tuna. I gave the rice a shot but wasn’t so keen on it. But thanks for helping with the suggestion.

Evening. 25 gram bar of 85% chocolate. And some peanuts.

Washed down with the usual tea.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. It took me some time to catch up on all the posts and it's gotten quite late now.

@ianpspurs -- Hugs to Julie. Sounds quite painful. Hope the medication is going to help. As to food to gain weight -- avocado, salmon, nuts are some that spring to mind, maybe even wine?
@Brunneria -- Hope your tummy settles soon. For such a tiny portion, it seems to be a lot of pain.
@Caeseji -- Wonderful that your family has joined you in this. Makes this woe so much easier and satisfying. My husband has a hard time dropping carbs, so I am a bit on my own in this most of the time. Don't really mind as much of the high carb foods no longer appeal to me.

Yesterday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A thin slice of keto poppy seed cake with butter.

Lunch: About 170g of T-bone steak with ketchup (contains erythritol instead of sugar) and guacamole.

Snack: Keto chocolate pudding (made with carob powder, which was definitely a keeper. It's used in the same way as food starch, only difference that it hardly contains any carbs. Like it much better than other low-carb thickeners.) Whipped cream.

Dinner: Low-carb Pad Thai with prawns. A glass of red wine.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Keto chocolate pudding with whipped cream.

Lunch: Manchego cheese, beef salami, green olives, smoked sockeye salmon.

Dinner: A salad of lamb's lettuce, grated gouda cheese, three baby tomatoes, and ranch dressing. Half a DD keto flatbread with steak tartar and mayonnaise. A glass of red wine.
Was the chocolate pudding made entirely from carob, or the carob used as an addition to thicken?

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We've had a lovely day today. Leisurely start followed by a walk to Aber Falls, which was absolutely stunning. It was so warm at one point, I had to take my cardigan off. A couple of coffees were sampled in local cafés but we were disappointed there was no cream to be seen! Not doing so well on the reigning the carbs in today. We normally aim for between 20-30g per day, but we've been pushing over 30 the past couple of days. Oh well, I guess we are on holiday!

Breakfast: LC pancakes with butter / chia jam / LC Nutella. CWC.
Lunch: Packed lunch of cheese and ham rolls (Diet Doctor). Square of 85% M&S choc.
Afternoon: Couple of coffees with a splash of semi-skimmed milk. Couple of the M&S choc discs
Dinner: A few mixed salted nuts before dinner. Then Waitrose 1 mini pork sausages (2 for me, 3 for Mr B) roasted celeriac, cabbage greens, mustard and onion gravy thickened with flax. Dessert was a Keto chocolate mug cake, with the addition of a blob of chia raspberry jam and thick cream. Decaf coffee to follow.