What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook wish I could blame my truly terrifying post-bfast rises at 2 and 3 hrs on Brexit. I really feel for all of you over there!
@Goonergal we had something resembling snow yesterday, but we call it “welcome to spring in Virginia”
@SlimLizzy good to hear from you. Sounds like you’ve been busy.
Bfast was a roaring experimental success! All the same ingredients as yesterday but with a photo op:
IMG_7982.jpg

1/2 avocado, egg, runny skyr, mustard, sauerkraut. DWC4-2sq choc.
Lunch seltzer and a small salted DWB (decaf with butter) I did enjoy that combo!
1st supper will be runny skyr and peanut butter for ballet class, coming right up.
Second supper will be the remains of the mug bread, crumbled up and set to soak last night with olive oil and runny skyr
Had a terrifyingly unusual bg rise after bfast, which works out to 1.776 for you. Under 2, but it is close to the highest absolute BG I’ve seen while hydrated. An hour later it was the same. I was still eating my chocolate when I took the first reading, and I’m hoping that’s what it was. I took three readings from the same droplet, and they were all within the margin of error, and very close. Scary. [eta] just now, 8 hr after bfast, it has dropped 2.9 from the high. Obviously y’all have got to stop stressing so “loud” across the Atlantic that it affects American BGs!
Tomorrow the search for lamb chops continues.
Good night all, and happy Thursday when it arrives!

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been AWOL again due to being busy with work and generally feeling a bit meh! I'm unlikely to catch up with all the posts, so hope everyone is okay.

A belated Happy Birthday to @DJC3! That cheesecake looks amazing.
Glad all is sorted with the house @SlimLizzy. Hope all goes okay with the scan / tests tomorrow - sending positive vibes and hugs your way.

Today's menu was as follows:

B: Chia pudding with LC Nutella and almonds. Coffee.
L: Just black coffee for me. Leftover chicken, chorizo, aubergine and pepper bake for Mr B, followed by a square of M&S Peru 85% choc. Mr B also had an almond milk cappuccino later on in the afternoon
D: Salmon wrapped in prosciutto with roasted tomatoes, courgette 'fries' and lemon chive mayo. SF jelly with clotted cream. Almond milk decaf cappuccino (I've discovered decaf espresso beans!) with a slash of caramel pecan Jordan's Skinny syrup.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Curried chicken i found in the freezer.
Dinner: Steak, mushrooms and tomato gravy.
Breaakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, fat bacon, reheated cooked spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no sugar / sweeteners, water.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say I’ve spent the last 1/2 hr breaking up my fabulous HC 70%dark chocolate and ginger egg into 10g bits! Each wrapped in clingfilm ( not good as I’m trying to save on plastic waste) and frozen as advised by @Goonergal. I feel much better now it’s done and I can take one little parcel out daily (3g carb for a 10g portion, which I have to say is tiny!)
Many thanks for that suggestion Goonergal- You have saved me from myself!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say I’ve spent the last 1/2 hr breaking up my fabulous HC 70%dark chocolate and ginger egg into 10g bits! Each wrapped in clingfilm ( not good as I’m trying to save on plastic waste) and frozen as advised by @Goonergal. I feel much better now it’s done and I can take one little parcel out daily (3g carb for a 10g portion, which I have to say is tiny!)
Many thanks for that suggestion Goonergal- You have saved me from myself!

Wouldn't open freezing work on the chocolate? As long as it was frozen in a single layer they shouldn't stick together? Then just "dose" from the bag/box, or is,the dosing the issue when not already set?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wouldn't open freezing work on the chocolate? As long as it was frozen in a single layer they shouldn't stick together? Then just "dose" from the bag/box, or is,the dosing the issue when not already set?

Yes that’s exactly it. I simply cant trust myself to eat just a tiny bit so preweighed and packed solves that. I’ve got 20 little treats now!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
FBG high again this morning - 8.4 this time.

Something is going on as I had a 2.4 hypo yesterday just before dinner yet 2 hrs after 'lunch' I'd tested at 7.9 so I dropped 5.5 in three hours with absolutely no reason. I haven't had a hypo for ages (not even when I did that five day fast) and NEVER one that came on so fast and without a reason. :banghead:

Sorry, for the brain dump - enough of my worries... today's menu is

Breakfast: Nothing
Lunch: Either nothing or a small chunk of Brie
Dinner: Remaining half of the chicken curry I had the other day with cauliflower rice

Drinks: Black decaff coffee and still spring water

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday. A walk round parts of Brooklyn, about 9 miles and a few trips between places on the subway. Oh, and a walk over Williamsburg Bridge.
Breakfast; kefir, an egg with cheese and ham blasted in the microwave (yolk stabbed first to prevent Jackson Pollock instant art explosion).
Lunch at a place called The Butchers Daughter in Brooklyn; marinated kale, avocado, almond parmesan, toasted almonds and crispy onions.
Dinner; Chicken salad and some Merlot.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Scrambled egg with two miserly slices of livlife low carb protein bread (well almost bread). I know this will sound pathetically stupid but I am getting the hang of Scrambled egg now. :D
Lunch : A Brie, ham and walnut combo.
Dinner will be : Leftover minced beef and mushrooms and cauliflower rice. Probably with Greek yoghourt yet again with just a small number of blueberries.

Snacks : 4 squares of 85% chocolate and cheddar cheese.

Tea.

Getting the bags packed for our trip to Rome, dreaming of low carb gelato, LOL

@shelley262 Saw the diabetes coverage on the front page of the Daily Mail today. I didn’t get a chance to read it.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook that is weird, crazy, and frustrating! On a lighter note, how is there such a thing as “a *small* chunk of brie”?
@dunelm almond parmesan- what’s that? The menu sounds eclectic and delicious!
@Listlad scrambled eggs can go one of two ways. “This has to be absolutely perfectly slowwwwwwwly cooked until creamy with zero lumpy things”, or, “two minutes and it’s on the plate”. So you probably just needed a little time to figure out your stove vs your skillet vs how you like them. LC gelato. If you find any.... let us know!
@shelley yay front page! Will there be a link to online Daily Mail?
Bfast same old 1/2 avocado, egg, skyr/mustard for antibx, DWSAC4-2 sq 90% choc. BG rise again. Guess I have to cut out the chocolate bc of caffeine effect. Maaaannnn. I must be an endocrine basket case!
Lunch will be assorted seltzer and another salted DWB(utter)
Supper. Hmmmmm. Leaning towards celery, wilted spinach w tin of sardines and hm dressing. Maybe a bit of mug bread.
Sitting here waiting for doc in urgent care to interpret xrays of spine. Had a truly bizarre encounter with the bathtub last night which has resulted (so I hope) in some bruises. Very sore muscles and tailbone.
Because of the lateness (well after midnight) and the shock of that, I was absolutely ravenous, so raided the frig at 0130 for (I practised this one!) machego and butter slabetos. IOW how they do it in Denmark (45 yrs ago on a farm anyway) only no bread. Setting myself up for a bad bg day, but I am not yet strong enough to resist in stress situations.
Anyway, it’s gorgeous out so it’s a good day for a walk. Me and the pollen coff coff...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook that is weird, crazy, and frustrating! On a lighter note, how is there such a thing as “a *small* chunk of brie”?
@Listlad scrambled eggs can go one of two ways. “This has to be absolutely perfectly slowwwwwwwly cooked until creamy with zero lumpy things”, or, “two minutes and it’s on the plate”. So you probably just needed a little time to figure out your stove vs your skillet vs how you like them. LC gelato. If you find any.... let us know!
Bfast same old 1/2 avocado, egg, skyr/mustard for antibx, DWSAC4-2 sq 90% choc. BG rise again. Guess I have to cut out the chocolate bc of caffeine effect. Maaaannnn. I must be an endocrine basket case!
Supper. Hmmmmm. Leaning towards celery, wilted spinach w tin of sardines and hm dressing. Maybe a bit of mug bread.
Sitting here waiting for doc in urgent care to interpret xrays of spine. Had a truly bizarre encounter with the bathtub last night which has resulted (so I hope) in some bruises. Very sore muscles and tailbone.
Because of the lateness (well after midnight) and the shock of that, I was absolutely ravenous, so raided the frig at 0130 for (I practised this one!) machego and butter slabetos. IOW how they do it in Denmark (45 yrs ago on a farm anyway) only no bread. Setting myself up for a bad bg day, but I am not yet strong enough to resist in stress situations.
Anyway, it’s gorgeous out so it’s a good day for a walk. Me and the pollen coff coff...
Slip/fall sounds painful so hope x-rays show no other damage. Bruising is bad enough.

Reactions: zauberflote

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for your back injury hope it improves quickly poor you.
Article not in daily mail yet maybe was an advert that @Listlad spotted? It will start as a series in health section I believe either this Saturday or next I’ve not yet heard but will let you all know and put link on if at all possible

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Sorry to hear about the bath incident @zauberflote hope there is no serious damage done.

Welcome back @BibaBee

@dunelm getting greener by the minute. The walk over the Williamsburg bridge is fab. Do you recommend the restaurant you mentioned?

Bit of a strange day today. Went to bed waaay too late, had ‘almost but not quite’ cramps (twitchy calves) all night and then woke feeling really nauseous. Stayed home from work, went back to bed and didn’t emerge until 11.30am.

Water only until around 3pm, at which point some salted almonds and tea with cream seemed in order. Followed up a couple of hours later with beef short rib.

Early to bed tonight me thinks. Although it feels like it should already be the weekend!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote I do hope you’re ok - that sort of slip can be catastrophic.
@Listlad well done on the scrambled egg front, I couldn’t do without them, loads of butter is my preferred way
@dunelm I love the sound of your lunch, wish you’d posted a photo.
@Chook how scary, and completely inexplicable! Such wild swings in bg aren’t explained by anything in your diet.
Today I’ve had:
Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs with a couple of buttered lc seedy crispbreads. CWC
Lunch - tin of sardines with salad which included some of the sprouting shoots from my birthday hamper. The radish sprouts in particular were great. 10g carefully aliquoted HC Easter egg.
Dinner- Rainbow trout with more salad and a single tiny buttered new potato. 5 raspberries and cream.
Might have a tot of raspberry gin later depending on what sort of effect that potato has.
@shelley262 glad I didn’t miss the Mail article - I’ll look out for it on Sat.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Sorry to hear about the bath incident @zauberflote hope there is no serious damage done.

Welcome back @BibaBee

@dunelm getting greener by the minute. The walk over the Williamsburg bridge is fab. Do you recommend the restaurant you mentioned?

Bit of a strange day today. Went to bed waaay too late, had ‘almost but not quite’ cramps (twitchy calves) all night and then woke feeling really nauseous. Stayed home from work, went back to bed and didn’t emerge until 11.30am.

Water only until around 3pm, at which point some salted almonds and tea with cream seemed in order. Followed up a couple of hours later with beef short rib.

Early to bed tonight me thinks. Although it feels like it should already be the weekend!

Are you feeling ok now?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Goonergal I hope you improve quickly- nausea is nasty. One more day then the weekend!
Thanks everyone for back commiserations! Preliminary exam w xray shows no damage, Not Even a bruise! @DJC3 it wasn’t a “slip”! At the time I was about as far away from the tub as I can be in this bathroom. Putting magnesium foam on my leg, leg up on vanity, vestibular migraine gave its usual notice, and this time I tipped over slightly farther than I could compensate for. Anything that I might have caught myself on moved to an alternate universe for a split second, and hello bathtub!
Now having a hard time convincing myself to “make it til suppertime”. Grrr. Lack of sleep is a powerful will-weakener.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal sorry to hear of last night's problems but glad you seem to be recovering. @zauberflote good news on injuries front not so good on tiredness. @shelley262 hope pictures will be posted on this forum - (nothing on earth could persuade me to read that paper not even you looking amazing)
Tea and CWC until 13.30;mashed avocado and 3 hard boiled eggs in mayo for lunch. Evening meal was 1.25 Hereford beef and cheddar burgers (may have been in freezer too long - bit late realising) small salad with h/m mayo.