What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Evenin’ All

B: none
L: prawns - ran out of mayo, and i don’t want to buy more. So I used double cream and brinjal pickle. In a kind of perverted Marie Rose way ;)
D: more of the instant pot ribs from a couple of days ago. Which were just as nice second time. :D

And I have to tell you, I am married to a sadistic monster.
He may do shopping. And load the dishwasher. And walk the dogs. And take me out to dinner regularly. And give me presents. And he loves me. And he loves his mother. And does his own laundry. And so on.
But he also does dreadful things too.
Today, he bought me a small bar of Dark Dairy Milk.

That is positively evil, isn’t it?

Anyway, I can now tell you that Dark Dairy Milk has around 2.5g of carb per square, and it tastes like the choc on top of a dark choc Hobnob.

Not that i have had a Hobnob in around 10 years (and they were never a favourite), but that choc today took me right back...

I ate the whole bar.
Actually it tastes very nice.
It is good. Am prone to eating the whole bar in one go as well. Justifying it as stress relief.

Reactions: zauberflote
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Mixed flat head and whiting fillets done on the barbeque, salad.
Dinner: Savoury mince, mashed spudlite and pumpkin mixed together with a small chopped up raw onion.
Breakfast: Mushroom omelette no room for cheese, bacon.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water, couple of my grandsons beers.

The next fortnights online grocery shop gets delivered around 10:00 am today, right out of few bits and pieces.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook that is weird, crazy, and frustrating! On a lighter note, how is there such a thing as “a *small* chunk of brie”?
@dunelm almond parmesan- what’s that? The menu sounds eclectic and delicious!
@Listlad scrambled eggs can go one of two ways. “This has to be absolutely perfectly slowwwwwwwly cooked until creamy with zero lumpy things”, or, “two minutes and it’s on the plate”. So you probably just needed a little time to figure out your stove vs your skillet vs how you like them. LC gelato. If you find any.... let us know!
@shelley yay front page! Will there be a link to online Daily Mail?
Bfast same old 1/2 avocado, egg, skyr/mustard for antibx, DWSAC4-2 sq 90% choc. BG rise again. Guess I have to cut out the chocolate bc of caffeine effect. Maaaannnn. I must be an endocrine basket case!
Lunch will be assorted seltzer and another salted DWB(utter)
Supper. Hmmmmm. Leaning towards celery, wilted spinach w tin of sardines and hm dressing. Maybe a bit of mug bread.
Sitting here waiting for doc in urgent care to interpret xrays of spine. Had a truly bizarre encounter with the bathtub last night which has resulted (so I hope) in some bruises. Very sore muscles and tailbone.
Because of the lateness (well after midnight) and the shock of that, I was absolutely ravenous, so raided the frig at 0130 for (I practised this one!) machego and butter slabetos. IOW how they do it in Denmark (45 yrs ago on a farm anyway) only no bread. Setting myself up for a bad bg day, but I am not yet strong enough to resist in stress situations.
Anyway, it’s gorgeous out so it’s a good day for a walk. Me and the pollen coff coff...

Almond Parmesan - it was in there as a dressing, ground up.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Sorry to hear about the bath incident @zauberflote hope there is no serious damage done.

Welcome back @BibaBee

@dunelm getting greener by the minute. The walk over the Williamsburg bridge is fab. Do you recommend the restaurant you mentioned?

Bit of a strange day today. Went to bed waaay too late, had ‘almost but not quite’ cramps (twitchy calves) all night and then woke feeling really nauseous. Stayed home from work, went back to bed and didn’t emerge until 11.30am.

Water only until around 3pm, at which point some salted almonds and tea with cream seemed in order. Followed up a couple of hours later with beef short rib.

Early to bed tonight me thinks. Although it feels like it should already be the weekend!
We liked the restaurant. I had to ask them not to include some fancy seeded croutons in my meal. If you are low carbing, look at their latest menu first. However; https://www.thebutchersdaughter.com/menus

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote I do hope you’re ok - that sort of slip can be catastrophic.
@Listlad well done on the scrambled egg front, I couldn’t do without them, loads of butter is my preferred way
@dunelm I love the sound of your lunch, wish you’d posted a photo.
@Chook how scary, and completely inexplicable! Such wild swings in bg aren’t explained by anything in your diet.
Today I’ve had:
Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs with a couple of buttered lc seedy crispbreads. CWC
Lunch - tin of sardines with salad which included some of the sprouting shoots from my birthday hamper. The radish sprouts in particular were great. 10g carefully aliquoted HC Easter egg.
Dinner- Rainbow trout with more salad and a single tiny buttered new potato. 5 raspberries and cream.
Might have a tot of raspberry gin later depending on what sort of effect that potato has.
@shelley262 glad I didn’t miss the Mail article - I’ll look out for it on Sat.

Blast, we better get back over there :woot::D

Reactions: DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A mixed day today - trips to Liberty Island and Ellis island where the so called “food” is not good.
Breakfast; egg, cheese and ham microwave bomb followed by kefir and after that koffy.
Lunch - nearly - on Ellis Island - what a mistake, it was lauded as Italian meatballs - but no - a lump of pappy white bread stuff filled with awful red stuff, cheese and three laboratory grown “meatballs” with a side of some crisp, chip, flattened out puffball pappy stuff. Ate the three brown cheese covered balls and binned the rest. The Pelagrino was very refreshing.
Dinner, in our apartment, a marinated kale salad with really nice and very rare roast beef from the whole food market under the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle - we like this grocery store. It does self service take away things. Merlot and then some Merlot.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch yesterday: Mixed flat head and whiting fillets done on the barbeque, salad.
Dinner: Savoury mince, mashed spudlite and pumpkin mixed together with a small chopped up raw onion.
Breakfast: Mushroom omelette no room for cheese, bacon.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water, couple of my grandsons beers.

The next fortnights online grocery shop gets delivered around 10:00 am today, right out of few bits and pieces.
Yep. I have just done mine for when we get back from holidays. :D

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 warm fresh crispbreads Do Want!!!! I have to try those. Ugh re rescheduling entire life. I’m so very glad for US healthcare sometimes!
@Listlad how beautiful!! I can smell the razzberriez all the way over here.
Thanks @Brunneria! No, I am Calamity Jane for the past 15 years. Glad to know I’m not the only one. “Lamburglars” makes me laugh every time you use it. I get this fleeting image of fluffy little darlings creeping around on their little fuzzy bellies like the dogs who herd them.
@BibaBee is that the same as my seltzer water? Just carbonated water that would be used at a bar but with umpteen different flavors. My current favorites are Dr Pepper and root beer! My older son (32) used to go through a liter of any red flavor every night doing homework. It’s been around for a long time but the brands and flavor choices are multiplying. I looked at your link, and it must be the same thing. I thinnnnk...here mayyyybe if you say “sparkling water” it has to be naturally sparkling? Is that even possible?
@BibaBee CMT’d that pulled chicken. I might use jerk flavoring, can’t handle Mexican heat! And ewwwww cucumber water!! Perrier otoh I love so long as somebody else bought it$$$$
@SlimLizzy stress justifies everything from screaming weeping prayer to a whole box/bar/case of chocolate.
@dunelm I have to love your description of your lunch. So true of so much boughten food here.
Good night all. Early to bed hopes here zzzzz

Reactions: Listlad

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK , so I need to catch up again before I get too far behind.
Bed Tuesday 6.6 FBG 6.2 (if it's any consolation @Chook my DP surges are settling again).
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Morrisons high protein wholemeal toasted with M&S whipped cheese.
L. Nothing
D. Hubby at the football so couldn't be bothered cooking. Thankfully with not eating much earlier compensated for what I did eat. Boiled egg, anchovies, small avocado, whipped cheese, remains of a prawn cocktail. That's all fine - cant say the same for the Grahams Goodness ice cream, raspberries, blackberries AND Montezuma black forest chocolate that followed! Still, at least I got 6kgs of tripe today.
Yesterday
Was very occupied with said tripe. It was not well prepared but I know how to deal with it so it was a day of keeping the IP busy scalding and prepping. I had a fair bit of trimming to do first. Apart from that I also got another Dr Almond loaf made - the Golden bread this time. Topped it with rock salt before baking. Like the texture on this one.
Bed 6.6 FBG 6.7 so I didn't do too much damage with my berry/ice cream/chocolate fest.
B. TAG with ADOC. Morrisons HP wholemeal toasted with whipped cheese again.
L. Picked up a pack of halal mortadella with paprika in ASDA. Had 4 slices (only 3.6g carbs in 100g which is half the pack).
Later had to try a slice of the latest Dr Almond bread with lurpack.
First batch of scalded tripe became a large pot of Trippa alla romana which I kept picking at on passing.
D. Despite my love of tripe I didn't have it for dinner. Wish I had! I'd bought veal osso bucco in M&S and (can't believe I'm saying this about something from M&S) it was truly awful. Inedible, tough, fatty, chewy. Won't be buying that again. Veggy chips, mix of peas, spinach and romanesco and sugar free ketchup. Kept away from Montezuma but did have small scoop of Grahams goodness with raspberries.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55
Which Dr Almond bread are you using?
After seeing you mention it, I went Google-scouting and found the website. Ended up ordering 3 different bread types for Mr B to try, plus (be still my heart) their version of a choux pastry mix, suitable for (hear that heartrate rising to dangerous levels?) profiteroles.

Yes, my friends, PROFITEROLES

These have always been my bête noire. Utterly irrisitable on a menu, but usually disappointing when sampled. Often because of foul vanilla sickened cream fillings, and poor quality choc sauce. Of course MY profiteroles will have neither of those two failings. Will probably save the pack to make up at Easter.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just realised I didn’t post yesterday. Spent the afternoon and evening at my son’s house, got home just before midnight!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Chinese style pork with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at Starbucks: peanut PhD bar and a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner at Whetherspoons: mixed grill with salad in place of chips with a Diet Pepsi.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria you are a gifted story teller Now you have me wanting your profiteroles! <scurries off to find out what a profiterole is when it’s at home>...ok it’s a chocolate covered cream puff! Was it you whose mission for 2019 was to develop a good puff pastry? My mother used to fill the puffs with chicken salad. They were much better filled with vanilla ice cream and drowned in Hershey syrup, which still came in a can at that time. I wonder what my taste buds would make of Hershey syrup now? My taste memory is very loving, but I’d hope I could let it remain a memory...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My BGs still seem to have a mind of their own and definitely aren't behaving in an orderly or predictable manner! :banghead:

Mr C reminded me that every time I try very low carb, carnivore or fasting I always have BG issues one way or another (although I've never had a proper hypo while VLC before) so he suggested that I slightly increasing my carbs as the next experiment. TBH I think my hypo worried him a bit as he's going away with his work for a few days next week and he doesn't like the idea of me having another one when he's hundreds of miles away.

Actually, i think the last time (before this one) that i had a proper hypo was after doing a DIY glucose tolerance test a while back. Do you remember that @Brunneria ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In compliance with the title of this thread, today's menu is

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: (sitting in the car overlooking the Humber Estuary and being almost blinded by the sunlight bouncing off the water) a chunk of White Stilton with mango and ginger in it - its very much like the Wensleydale with cranberries but more expensive

Dinner: Trout fillets, asparagus, purple sprouting broccoli and one ir two of Mr C's new potatoes in lots of butter

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water and a glass or two of red wine

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Brunneria you are a gifted story teller Now you have me wanting your profiteroles! <scurries off to find out what a profiterole is when it’s at home>...ok it’s a chocolate covered cream puff! Was it you whose mission for 2019 was to develop a good puff pastry? My mother used to fill the puffs with chicken salad. They were much better filled with vanilla ice cream and drowned in Hershey syrup, which still came in a can at that time. I wonder what my taste buds would make of Hershey syrup now? My taste memory is very loving, but I’d hope I could let it remain a memory...

When my daughter was young every year for her party instead of a birthday cake she'd ask for a big pile of them (about 5-6 per child) filled with whipped thick cream then drizzled with four or five different colours of chocolate which were then piled up high and drizzled with yet more chocolate.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK folks, on the understanding that these are LOW CARB profiteroles, like wot I shall be making over Easter (except that mine probably won't be quite so photogenic), here you go:
images

Choux pastry is an odd one - requires hot water, and is shaped using a piping bag. The pastry cooks hollow, so that whipped cream can be squirted into the middle using another piping bag, and chocolate sauce poured all over, and served immediately, or left for the choc sauce to go hard.

For mine, I will follow the Dr Almond choux pastry mix instructions, slit them open (no piping bags for me!), insert a good dollop of v rich whipped cream (no sweeteners polluting my cream, thank-you-very-much)
and my choc sauce will be melted 70-80% Lindt with more double cream stirred in and poured over.

The Dr Almond package says it is 1.8g of carbs/100g of finished pastry, so I expect that I will forget all about carnivory that day, and eat most of the pack.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55
After seeing you mention it, I went Google-scouting and found the website. Ended up ordering 3 different bread types for Mr B to try, plus (be still my heart) their version of a choux pastry mix, suitable for (hear that heartrate rising to dangerous levels?) profiteroles.

These have always been my bête noire. Utterly irrisitable on a menu, but usually disappointing when sampled. Often because of foul vanilla sickened cream fillings, and poor quality choc sauce. Of course MY profiteroles will have neither of those two failings. Will probably save the pack to make up at Easter.
They are something I saw and wondered about so I will be very interested in how they turn out. Everything we, and others have tried from Dr Almond seems to work.
Edit/Update: Has anyone tried their pasta? Expensive but macros look good https://lowcarb-glutenfree.com/prod...les-spaghetti-rice-low-carb-keto-gluten-free/

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To divert from sweeties, ever how L C they may be, who is it here who IP’s meat from frozen? @maglil55 ? I have this very local frozen chicken... I’m afraid though that there might be little paper bags inside the cavity with the organs and neck. Don’t want to be cooking paper!
Back to @Brunneria you have me drooling! Maybe I’ll look for an ice cream-ish recipe with all cream, egg yolks, and I suppose a sweetener. Who am I kidding. I’d eat it all if it was any good! How about sorbet then? I ate a huge amount of that last summer...

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK folks, on the understanding that these are LOW CARB profiteroles, like wot I shall be making over Easter (except that mine probably won't be quite so photogenic), here you go:
images

Choux pastry is an odd one - requires hot water, and is shaped using a piping bag. The pastry cooks hollow, so that whipped cream can be squirted into the middle using another piping bag, and chocolate sauce poured all over, and served immediately, or left for the choc sauce to go hard.

For mine, I will follow the Dr Almond choux pastry mix instructions, slit them open (no piping bags for me!), insert a good dollop of v rich whipped cream (no sweeteners polluting my cream, thank-you-very-much)
and my choc sauce will be melted 70-80% Lindt with more double cream stirred in and poured over.

The Dr Almond package says it is 1.8g of carbs/100g of finished pastry, so I expect that I will forget all about carnivory that day, and eat most of the pack.
I hope they work out well, interested to hear about how they turn out. By the way Gnom Gnom has a choux type pastry recipe which she uses for churros and other stuff: https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-churros/. No idea if it would work for profiteroles.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55

Yesterday's one was their golden bread which has an excellent texture. I also have their Eiffel brot and both the seedy ones. I haven't had a bad one yet. The seedies are more dense - the golden a lot lighter. Not one of them affects my BGs - they might be pricey but I'm willing to accept that as the joy of being able to have more than one slice if I want it!
I have to confess I also have the profiteroles but I have not made them yet. There is a good chance they will become eclairs with a 90% topping. I also have their pizza base and pasta but again not made yet. I wasnt sure what Brexit would do so I got a rather large stock.