What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook congrats on the cherry tree! LC cherry cobbler in a few months? Or cussing at birds and squirrels...?(what usually happened with my ill-cared-for sour cherry)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Chook congrats on the cherry tree! LC cherry cobbler in a few months? Or cussing at birds and squirrels...?(what usually happened with my ill-cared-for sour cherry)

If the birds don't get them then I'll probably freeze some to make instant cherry ice cream although I like the idea of a LC cobbler or crumble. The reason for keeping this tree small is so I can protect the cherries as they ripen with nets. I had a lovely cherry tree at my last home and the pigeons had the lot then used my laundry drying on the line for red pooping target practice.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't eaten evening meal yet but lovely as y'all are grandson and granddaughter staying over for 3 nights just beats yer.
No b (more on that anon); 6 pints TWAM; assembling cot - in my gym which is now a nursery. Lunch was avocado, mackerel fillets in evo, small hunk cucumber, 2 sticks celery and 93 gms brie (weighed a piece of Brie to see how much 100 gms were for breakfast as per @Chook - wouldn't be enough for me as breakfast so I'll go without). Evening meal will be roast chicken,celeriac dauphinoise, broccoli and lots of cuteness - kids will be ok as well.
BTW,I don't know how many times I need to tell you people - I don't wear makeup on Thursdays. (May be awake much earlier tomorrow and Moana may be played on loop in one room.)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't eaten evening meal yet but lovely as y'all are grandson and granddaughter staying over for 3 nights just beats yer.
No b (more on that anon); 6 pints TWAM; assembling cot - in my gym which is now a nursery. Lunch was avocado, mackerel fillets in evo, small hunk cucumber, 2 sticks celery and 93 gms brie (weighed a piece of Brie to see how much 100 gms were for breakfast as per @Chook - wouldn't be enough for me as breakfast so I'll go without). Evening meal will be roast chicken,celeriac dauphinoise, broccoli and lots of cuteness - kids will be ok as well.
BTW,I don't know how many times I need to tell you people - I don't wear makeup on Thursdays. (May be awake much earlier tomorrow and Moana may be played on loop in one room.)
Our little one went through that Moana faze. :D

Reactions: ianpspurs

charlie000

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Same as yesterday, Scrambled egg, bacon and sausage Euro style, cold meats, plain yoghourt, clementine. Tea.
Lunch : Chicken Roman Style - chicken in a rich tomato sauce with belle peppers and some rocket lettuce. Diet Coke.
Dinner : Found a Carrefour grocers locally and had Fage Greek yoghourt, fresh strawberries and Brie cheese. 200ml fresh milk.

No gelato today. Just watched the family eat theirs.

The Colosseum was great today. But huge queues to get inside which marred it a bit. And swarmed inside too.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs can’t blame you for sticking with the cute factor. Cute we ain’t. Moana is better than, say, Star Wars!!
@charlie000 that’s my favorite chocolate!!
@Listlad you are a pillar of self control!
I’m trying to recover from a truly miserable start to the day (blahblahTMI) in which among(st!) other things I felt deeply hungry, right to the cell nuclei. So I decided, have an EWIWWIW day (eat what I want when I want). Needed the boost of chocolate to face the blasted pile of piccolo music yet again (band music is So Much harder than orchestral!) so a while ago in the midst of random grazing had 2sq 90% with DC (decaf-y cream).
Yesterday evening I set some frozen “buffalo wings” perhaps also known as “drumettes” to pressure cooking broth in the IP. Turns out this is the best possible piece of the chicken/s. 2 bones max per each, and they are falling-off done, with very friable bones that break with a little finger pressure. Experiments with eating bones to be performed. I added too much water so may decide to boil the broth down some before freezing. MUST have chest freezer!!! I’d send a pic of mine but it’s not food and you all know what a stuffed freezer looks like anyway.
Off to have staring match with a one-hour concert’s worth of non-stop fast notes. Argh. At least it’s all very good music. No pops junk for this conductor! (A local University community band, many ringers such as myself to fill out the students’ sound)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - cheese, onion and tomato omelette
L - teff crackers, cream cheese
D - more delights of the freezer (chicken, spinach, onion, olives), teff pan bread

Teff bread was so easy to make. Was worried about effect on BG but testing 2 hours after dinner showed BG levels down 0.3. However they were strangely high before eating, so not sure how reliable this reading is. Have half of it left so will try again tomorrow and see what happens. Am so hopeful that teff will be an agreeable flour to use as it is cheap and easily available, although it is gluten free, so tricky to actually bake with - very crumbly!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another busy work day - 3 more work days still to do, 3 just completed so halfwaythere! Wanted a swim and gym session first thing and to listen to our very own superstar @Goonergal on a webconference presentation on low carb eating which was live at lunchtime today so did OMAD again to make time for me to do both. Ps @Goonergal was very good, hope she manages to get a recording of it to post on forum - it’s an interesting listen.
Dinner chicken with cauliflower cheese and glass of red followed by fage yoghurt and decaf coffee with two squares of montezumas choc with orange oil and cocoa nibs. ( def a montezumas convert!) did bg two hours after my two squares yesterday and it was lower than before ate so a keeper for me!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
......... @Listlad yes I am. Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) is a Mozart opera. I fell in love with it in school. I think the Bergman stage adaptation (which I watched at least three times one bitter cold winter in Montreal, a very long bus ride from my flat, is available streaming somewhere. Sublime music, comedy, drama, boy meets girl twice over, lofty Masonic themes, fantasy themes, lofty Masonic fantasy themes... you name it, it’s there.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs can’t blame you for sticking with the cute factor. Cute we ain’t. Moana is better than, say, Star Wars!!
I’m trying to recover from a truly miserable start to the day (blahblahTMI) in which among(st!) other things I felt deeply hungry, right to the cell nuclei. So I decided, have an EWIWWIW day (eat what I want when I want). Needed the boost of chocolate to face the blasted pile of piccolo music yet again (band music is So Much harder than orchestral!) so a while ago in the midst of random grazing had 2sq 90% with DC (decaf-y cream).
Yesterday evening I set some frozen “buffalo wings” perhaps also known as “drumettes” to pressure cooking broth in the IP. Turns out this is the best possible piece of the chicken/s. 2 bones max per each, and they are falling-off done, with very friable bones that break with a little finger pressure. Experiments with eating bones to be performed. I added too much water so may decide to boil the broth down some before freezing. MUST have chest freezer!!! I’d send a pic of mine but it’s not food and you all know what a stuffed freezer looks like anyway.
Off to have staring match with a one-hour concert’s worth of non-stop fast notes. Argh. At least it’s all very good music. No pops junk for this conductor! (A local University community band, many ringers such as myself to fill out the students’ sound)

Zauberflote, if you need to reduce your stock, why not just take the lid off, then hit the Saute button. That will quickly come to a rolling boil and rerduce nicely, with adding to the washing up.

I almost always reduce my stock to make it very intense. I can always add water when it comes back into use when thawed from the freezer.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. A lot of catching up to do (again).

@BibaBee very good news on your husband’s eye treatment.

@Chook very sad story about your husband’s colleague. But good news about the Brie.

@Brunneria your reports on the Dr Almond bread are making me reconsider my decision to ditch bread substitutes.

@shelley262 in my experience the orange and cocoa nib Montezumas is very over-eatable.

@zauberflote love the EWIWWIW acronym. I had one of those days on Tuesday, or perhaps more accurately EFTMAFTO (eat far too much and far too often) - @maglil55 my food app was doing the opposite of yours when you don’t give it enough calories!

So far as the food goes, yesterday was a contrast to Tuesday’s over indulgence. A day of work meetings meant no break for lunch and an OMAD day. Went to Shake Shack for a bunless double bacon cheeseburger with mayonnaise and onion. Dessert of extra thick double cream on return to base. @BibaBee found the Dash drinks on sale in a Nordic cafe near Cannon Street and tried the raspberry one. Very good and not at all sweet.

Today was breakfast of almond butter and extra thick double cream, lunch of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and dinner at Nando’s. Plain leg, 3 plain wings and a side of grilled halloumi. Took some butter to melt on the chicken. Dessert was a new discovery from Waitrose (see pic) which has very similar carb count to Lindt 90% (14.7g/100g vs 14 for the Lindt). Tried the pineapple and grapefruit Aqua Libre. Not as good as the Raspberry and Apple, which is very good.

Meanwhile back at the hotel we have the case of the missing glass. As I prefer long, cold drinks, I brought my own large glass for the hotel stay. Have been keeping it in the fridge but must have forgotten this morning as when I got back tonight it had vanished. Reception are on the case and in the meantime I’m holding a pint glass from the bar hostage.

Edited to correct typo.

71C0E7D1-2A9C-4148-B5A4-FAD262D108FB.jpeg

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chilli, coriander and lime chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: courgetti bolognese with a sprinkling of grated mature cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Courgetti is so much more colourful than pasta! :)
77F0E0DA-6D55-464D-BE85-83A3C3129F39.jpeg

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Zauberflote, if you need to reduce your stock, why not just take the lid off, then hit the Saute button. That will quickly come to a rolling boil and rerduce nicely, with adding to the washing up.

I almost always reduce my stock to make it very intense. I can always add water when it comes back into use when thawed from the freezer.

Lol because it was 10 pm and it was bad enough to get it into the frig! That is, however, how I ought to do it when I leave myself the time to. It was a spur-of-the-moment idea to do this. A little planning ahead did not happen. But I had some this morning. I may have a raging case of the DPs.... so for first bfast I had a small mug of broth with about 2 tbsp evoo. Kept further rise to 5 pts/0.28, and each successive time I’ve checked after that rise it’s been lower, despite my EWIWWIW plan. Did it have to do with the broth/oil? Did it have to do with the monstrous amount of cream cheese some time after avocado and egg? The chicken taste test a bit later? (It was fairly bland having all its goodness in the broth) Will I ever know?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Buttery scrambled egg. CWC

L: salad of green leaves, mackerel and avocado with ACV/ Oo dressing and a sprinkling of ground seeds.
Gk yog and sf jelly ( upset tum 20 mins later - happens every time, I should stop eating it really!)

Dinner: DD keto lasagna ( sorry @ianpspurs , ticks all your hate boxes, but tastes good, and a great filling meal when feeding a few of us) with mixed salad and hm French dressing. Glass of red. Scoop of Halo Top afterwards

@Goonergal it’s good to see you back. Enjoying the acronyms from you and @zauberflote. (And I love the story of your first time listening to the opera ZF)
@Mongolia good news about the teff flour. Not something I’d heard of
@Listlad good willpower on the gelato

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
Re the almond bread: I know. Weird huh? Maybe I just encountered it at a low point? I thought I walked away from bread years ago, but this last week, toast has been curiously magnetic! Haha! The good thing is that there have been no cravings at all. So worth trying it again. But I expect the novelty will wear off fairly soon. Except for the promise of profiteroles...

Today
B: none
L: prawns and garlic pickle cream
D: pork shoulder steak, in mustard and tarragon
S: small hot choc and cream, from Costa, following a v long work thing that left me RAVENOUS.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For a minute there I thought that you were eating Edward Woodward without the “D’s’ - but that would have been EWARWOOWAR

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@zauberflote love the EWIWWIW acronym. I had one of those days on Tuesday, or perhaps more accurately EFTMAFTO (eat far too much and far too often) -
]
I am so sorry @Goonergal but your acronym has some letters in it that first organized themselves into “EMFAO” as in “LMFAO”. I know you have nothing of the kind, but it does describe what I’ve done today for sure! All the right foods, all the wrongwrongwrong ways. I do feel unhungry now, which is a mercy!
BG lower now by 9/0.5 than an hour ago. It’s the same as what it was yesterday about this time after regular breakfast and zero lunch, but yesterday and day before it had risen astronomically still 4 hrs after that usual bfast/no choc. I am not computing, I’ll tell ya! So that particular pigout on this particular day was beneficial.
What on earth can I be saying to my PCP when my next week’s labs come in with a very high fasting bg? I can show him my records but he won’t have time for that poking around in the app. I may not know more about diabetic conditions in general than he, but I’ve sure been paying very close attention to my own facts figures and foods. He’ll say, the blood doesn’t lie....