What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
3BD2B735-109D-43EA-833A-7AAF1839B5BD.jpeg
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: left over Mediterranean veg with melted mature cheddar followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and Halo Top peanut butter swirl ice cream, perfect after a walk in the sunshine. Thanks for the heads up on these @DCUKMod !
Dinner: liver and bacon with mixed veg. followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've probably got everything I have, and more! When you post something you have, I can only allow myself to read it with one eye.
That's the problem when you learn to cook in a restaurant. There are so many things you "must" have. I freely admit to being an addict for kitchen gadgets although I did take the extras to the Sally Army outlet recently.

Viv19

Dentist this morning and as I don’t have a car and Mrs Miggins was away, I had a pleasant three mile walk.
Lunch; chicken, pan fried. I like mine well salted and with some vinegar.

Dinner; Malaysian vegetable curry - it calls for potatoes but I used celeriac - worked fine - more chilli next time to offset the coconut milk and coriander.

Do you have a recipe for the Malaysian veg curry?

Reactions: dunelm and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Found this on Facebook videos today - a Keto sausage & egg McMuffin. Personally, I'd make it as a bacon & egg McMuffin but it looks like the real thing but probably tastes a lot better. I recognised it as cloud bread (made it often enough) he certainly got it very English muffin like cooking it in the ring. This would work for eggs Benedict too. It's in my CMT plus I've added a crepe recipe to CMT - I would never have thought of adding gelatine to get a proper crepe texture.

https://recipechampions.com/recipe/keto-sausage-mcmuffin/

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

@charlie000 - Diet Coke helped me a lot when I did consistent periods of OMAD (several days, sometimes a couple of weeks in a row). Didn’t make me hungry or affect blood glucose. If you enjoy them and it helps with your wider goals, go for it. I have got myself to the point of only drinking them occasionally but that’s more to do with them tasting too sweet than anything else - some days they slide down nicely. Others - yesterday was one - it goes down the sink after a mouthful. Thanks to @BibaBee I’ve found the Aqua Libre infused water - no sugar or sweetener - and they are quite refreshing: at least the raspberry and apple one is, and not sweet tasting. The grapefruit and pineapple one was a bit sickly for me, but worth a try.

I’m looking forward to Meaty May as need to knock what seems like a never ending urge to overeat on the head.

Today’s menu was lunch of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling.

Mid afternoon succumbed to two portions of cream whipped with cocoa and erythritol.

Dinner - exhausted and too lazy to cook so another pack of rollitos followed by a single serve of almond butter and cream. That’s the last of the almond butter.

@zauberflote I fell in love with the Ghirardelli 92% individually wrapped squares when on the West Coast last summer. Still have one or two in the freezer.
Don't mind a Diet Coke with a vodka in it

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Baked rhubarb! I love rhubarb but thought I couldn’t eat it because of the amount of sugar it needs. Does baking it make it less sour? What do you do?
Your menu sounds delicious
Monk Fruit Classic sweetener does the trick if the rhubarb needs sweetened but at the moment the thin, pink rhubarb (as Chook illustrates) doesn't really need it. If I make a low carb crumble with it I add strawberries which sweetens it.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Despite the title of the thread, I haven't eaten or even heard of Konjac noodles until a friend mentioned them. Then I looked them up on a supermarket website.
Carbless noodles? Anybody tried them?
Like xfieldok I use oomi noodles.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Good news on the food front @xfieldok

An almost OMAD day today. Very late lunch/early dinner was 3 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs and some grated cheese in the greasy spoon near work. Dessert about an hour later on arrival home was whipped cream with cocoa and erythritol.

Just eaten 30g almonds as feeling a bit peckish.

Meaty May begins tomorrow - oxtail defrosting ready for the slow cooker in the morning.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 2 meals today as I was out this morning so it was easy to miss breakfast, but DP kicked in big time sadly. It’s really odd that sometimes it occurs and other times it doesn’t.
Brunch: DD breakfast sandwich.
Had my first ever bg in 3s today before dinner - yahoo! admittedly I’d had a gin and soda with Mr C in the pub so that probably had something to do with it - but who cares? I’m taking it!
D: Another of Urvashi Pitre’s brilliant jnstant pot recipes - chicken tikka masala
https://twosleevers.com/chicken-tikka-masala/#wprm-recipe-container-4917
which was ine of those meals you just want to go on and on and never end- lovely, and like her butter chicken there is a lot of sauce left to freeze and use another time. Had mine with cauli rice and spinach and a lot of fresh coriander.
Just had some HC 100% dark choc egg, probably a bit too late to be eating but never mind.
Got chicken stock stewing in the IP now from the carcass and peelings.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all wonderful day in Dundee included half a day at seaside but didn’t buy Arbroath smokies @DCUKMod as staying in premier inn so no fridge! Would be quite smelly over time!
Breakfast scrambled eggs and smoked salmon and coffee and cream
Lunch coffee and cream and some almonds
Dinner gammon and two fried eggs and glass of red wine.
Loving my time in Scotland but just one more day of our break to come. We have been so lucky with weather.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Found this on Facebook videos today - a Keto sausage & egg McMuffin. Personally, I'd make it as a bacon & egg McMuffin but it looks like the real thing but probably tastes a lot better. I recognised it as cloud bread (made it often enough) he certainly got it very English muffin like cooking it in the ring. This would work for eggs Benedict too. It's in my CMT plus I've added a crepe recipe to CMT - I would never have thought of adding gelatine to get a proper crepe texture.

https://recipechampions.com/recipe/keto-sausage-mcmuffin/

I have a recipe I’m about to try for hamburger buns by Carolyn Ketchum. ( in Everyday ketogenic Kitchen book) Can’t find it on her All day I dream about food blog though. It contains whey protein and Im sure Ive read somewhere that this isn’t good for diabetics - encourages insulin resistance or something. They are only 3.5g carbs each though and the picture looks good ( obviously).

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm now catching up on 2 days having been distracted by Line of Duty and Game of Thrones. So, Monday - bed 7.3 FBG 7.7. Going OMAD today.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Water
D. Rubbed pork ribs with Nandos peri peri rub. Had the ribs with shredded lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mayo.
Yet another low carb creme brulee and 2 squares Montezuma black forest chocolate.
Got back to Aqua fit today and did some water running too. Got an evening off on Mondays now - Mum is picking the boys up from school. I still take them in the morning but after that my Monday is mine!
Today - Tuesday. Bed 7.1 FBG 7.3. Still getting these mad surges.
B. TAG with ADOC. BGs still heading up so ate a slice of ox tongue.
L. Hadn't planned on lunch but with the DP surge refusing to stop had 2 of the Morrisons pork, tomato and mozzarella sausages, 2 rashers of crispy streaky bacon and a fried egg. Finally turned and started falling.
D. Made a medium IP chicken curry with loads of green veggies in it, cauliflower rice and after yet another low carb creme brulee.
Had 2 squares of G&B Mint choc but trouble is I now want more to satisfy this mint craving. I may have to have lamb kebab tomorrow again with mint sauce if I don't stop wanting mint.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a recipe I’m about to try for hamburger buns by Carolyn Ketchum. ( in Everyday ketogenic Kitchen book) Can’t find it on her All day I dream about food blog though. It contains whey protein and Im sure Ive read somewhere that this isn’t good for diabetics - encourages insulin resistance or something. They are only 3.5g carbs each though and the picture looks good ( obviously).
I've not heard that whey protein can increase insulin resistance. I've been meaning to get some as quite a few LC baking recipes use it. I'd be surprised if Carolyn has recommended something that isn't good for diabetics....she had gestational diabetes and was prediabetic. Paola from Gnom-Gnom also uses whey protein and whey protein isolate a fair bit. I know that some whey protein can have added sweeteners (you can get it without). I think maltodextrin is a common addition which is often not good for diabetics. Could it be this that is the issue? If you give them a go, let us know how you get on.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've not heard that whey protein can increase insulin resistance. I've been meaning to get some as quite a few LC baking recipes use it. I'd be surprised if Carolyn has recommended something that isn't good for diabetics....she had gestational diabetes and was prediabetic. Paola from Gnom-Gnom also uses whey protein and whey protein isolate a fair bit. I know that some whey protein can have added sweeteners (you can get it without). I think maltodextrin is a common addition which is often not good for diabetics. Could it be this that is the issue? If you give them a go, let us know how you get on.
There was a couple of studies a couple of years ago that suggested there were benefits to whey protein. Having read them again maybe I should be using it in the mornings!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...ein-for-type-2-diabetes-control-94525480.html

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today has been another busy one, with a drive across to Yorkshire for work.

Breakfast: Orange chia pudding with strawberries and flaked almonds. Black coffee. Followed by an almond milk cappuccino mid morning.
Lunch: A flat white on the road for me, nothing else. Mr B had some Morbiere cheese, sliced beef, mayo, chicory, olives, cherry toms, cucumber and radish. He also had a square of 85% choc.
Dinner: Chorizo, cherry tom and mozzarella frittata with salad (red chicory, red cabbage, cucumber, radish and chives) with HM French dressing. SF jelly (I skipped the cream). 10g of HC Easter egg. Decaf coffee and cream.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes will do - hoping to make them tomorrow. I wish I could remember what it was regarding the whey protein - it was somewhere on the forum and I remember being cheesed off as I’d just bought a bag of it - for the very reason you mention - I’d seen it in a lot of lc/ keto recipes. I’ll monitor closely afterwards.

Reactions: ianpspurs