What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had ooooopage today too. I had got some steaks out of the freezer. I raised an eyebrow at the time I got them out, thinking the package mush have got a bit squidged before it froze. When defrosted wel enough to speerate the payers, the "steaks" were actually pieces of beef shin. Ooopos.

Having had a bit of a chuckle, the shin has been deferred to tomorrow, and a quickie cauli cheese with mucho meaty panchetta for me, and a mac and cheese with paetta for MrB for was rustled up.

Tomorrow will be this keto beef shin: https://queenketo.com/keto-beef-shin-creamed-brussels-sprouts/ It's absolutely delicious, but I'll do it in the IP.

All's well that ends well.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We had ooooopage today too. I had got some steaks out of the freezer. I raised an eyebrow at the time I got them out, thinking the package mush have got a bit squidged before it froze. When defrosted wel enough to speerate the payers, the "steaks" were actually pieces of beef shin. Ooopos.

Having had a bit of a chuckle, the shin has been deferred to tomorrow, and a quickie cauli cheese with mucho meaty panchetta for me, and a mac and cheese with paetta for MrB for was rustled up.

Tomorrow will be this keto beef shin: https://queenketo.com/keto-beef-shin-creamed-brussels-sprouts/ It's absolutely delicious, but I'll do it in the IP.

All's well that ends well.
Thanks for that link. I like the flavours with the braised beef but shin and tender is not a combo I recognise. Passed the recipe to the cooking team for later in the year - seems on the hearty side for summer for a delicate little flower like me.

Viv19

Re browning meat, i find it does help to make the gravy look more appetising and it does seal in the juices. Though I do have a very good chili con carne recipe where everything is thrown in. With coffee, tomatoes, paprika etc etc there’s no chance of that looking grey.
Everyone has their own preferences thank goodness. I buy mince with as little fat as possible, mainly because in some countries we’ve lived in the fat in the mince smelled pretty horrible so I spooned it all off anyway. In one country we lived in they minced the beef through the mincer after mincing ‘lamb’/sheep/goat, which made the beef smell like old sheep. I bought an electric mincer to mince my own beef.

Viv19

Food today.
Tea for breakfast.
Gym
Coffee with cream
Lunch LC bread with cottage cheese and tuna/mayonnaise, some cherry toms. Nuts.
Dinner pork medallions, zucchini spaghetti, a creamy mushroom sauce- I tried to thicken it with some mashed celeriac. It tasted ok but looked a bit odd. I threw in some broccoli to make it less boring.
Yoghurt and berries. A glass of red.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
For a day that started well it went down hill. The morning was OK
B was the usual coffee with cream. Work was fine quite busy so the time passed quickly. Came home with a migraine at lunch time. Took medication which sorted it by mid afternoon. Noticed on of the dogs was acting strangely checked him out and found a largish lump on the left side of his bottom under his tail. A trip to the vet has taken place appointment was 5 was seen about 5.20. Poor thing has an abscess in his anal gland he is on antibiotics and pain killers and has to go back on Friday.
Tea was a hastily thrown together chicken and mushroom and veg concoction.
I fear that I will be on a couple of days of fasting to cover the vet bill
I don't think the meal contained enough fat as I am feeling hungry now. I will have a bit of yoghurt I think.

Same for me i felt hungry after my tea so i had some walnuts and a coffee made with double cream , did the trick .

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's menu:

B: Vanilla chia pudding with LC Nutella. Coffee.
Mid morning: Almond milk cappuccino with splash of cream
L: Frankfurter, Waitrose yellow sticker bargain burrata, olives, salad leaves, cherry toms, basil. Square of M&S 85% Peru choc.
Mid afternoon: Almond milk cappuccino with splash of cream
D: Impromptu barbecue again! Pork sausages (high meat %), grilled aubergine, HM coleslaw, salad leaves, cherry toms and avocado with EVOO and lemon

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that link. I like the flavours with the braised beef but shin and tender is not a combo I recognise. Passed the recipe to the cooking team for later in the year - seems on the hearty side for summer for a delicate little flower like me.

Pressure cooking can tenderise it, if given enough, plus a full natural natural release. If it's not tender enough give it a bit more time. That said, the recipe would work with any meat.

Incidentally I'll also reduce the liquid a bit before cooking too as, as you know, there won't be the traditional evaporation.

I have to say I wouldn't have chosen shin for right now, but by the time it was clear, it was thawed, so well eat some and freeze the balance.

Just one of those things.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Boned and rolled goat forequarter, veggies, brown onion gravy.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomatoes.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

NEWS FLASH! It was reported on ABC news just now that Jamie Oliver's company has gone down the gurgler in the UK. Some of his Australian shops were shut down last year here.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-22/jamie-oliver-restaurant-chain-collapses-uk/11136594

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Late breakfast of Paleo pancakes (Birch-Benders brand) at only 16 grams carbs, sugar free syrup, fried egg, and turkey bacon. Snacks of mixed nuts and Whisps (Parmesan cheese chips, Cello brand, 1 gram carbs). Dinner will be baked chicken, full fat cottage cheese, and raw baby carrots.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late breakfast of Paleo pancakes (Birch-Benders brand) at only 16 grams carbs, sugar free syrup, fried egg, and turkey bacon. Snacks of mixed nuts and Whisps (Parmesan cheese chips, Cello brand, 1 gram carbs). Dinner will be baked chicken, full fat cottage cheese, and raw baby carrots.

Welcome @Sangre are you US based? I fell in love with Whisps last summer in the US! Will be stocking up in July.

NEWS FLASH! It was reported on ABC news just now that Jamie Oliver's company has gone down the gurgler in the UK. Some of his Australian shops were shut down last year here.

Yes they’ve almost all shut down practically overnight, including one that a few of us on here were at a couple of weeks ago after the PHC conference.

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19

Does anyone here use coconut flower sugar or is it a no no? I have a German Low Carb magazine with quite a few recipes using that. Like this fried fish in batter, sweet and sour cucumber salad. 18g carbs for the whole meal. Sounds tasty. Only problem is reducing the recipes as OH isn’t interested.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone here use coconut flower sugar or is it a no no? I have a German Low Carb magazine with quite a few recipes using that. Like this fried fish in batter, sweet and sour cucumber salad. 18g carbs for the whole meal. Sounds tasty. Only problem is reducing the recipes as OH isn’t interested.

Doesn't your OH like fish, or is it the LC aspect he finds off-putting?

I have lots of keto and lc recipes in my CMT folder, but most of them aren't titled that way. I've found that tends to help with open minds.

Ahem.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take a very simple (and somewhat bootcamp) view.

Basically, I cook low carb, and that is what is served in this house, to Mr B, friends and family.
If anyone wants carbs as well, then I am happy to microwave some potatoes or rice for them (guests) or Mr B can microwave them for himself.
Bread is easy, since they can fetch it themselves out of the bread bin.

The result of this draconian regime is that most people are completely unaware that they are eating mainly low carb and cheerfully compliment me on the food. :D

Viv19

I take a very simple (and somewhat bootcamp) view.

Basically, I cook low carb, and that is what is served in this house, to Mr B, friends and family.
If anyone wants carbs as well, then I am happy to microwave some potatoes or rice for them (guests) or Mr B can microwave them for himself.
Bread is easy, since they can fetch it themselves out of the bread bin.

The result of this draconian regime is that most people are completely unaware that they are eating mainly low carb and cheerfully compliment me on the food. :D

I wish! I made some German meat balls but instead of adding a soaked and squeezed out bread roll or two, I used a couple of tbspns of oats, ground. Trying to find a middle ground. I didn’t say anything but OH complained that they tasted ‘different.’
I’ll just make different ones and freeze them in future.
BTW I found a tasty looking meatball recipe in a German ‘Low Carb’ mag. Is there usually a copyright problem if I put it on CMT other than on ‘private?’
I’m not very keen on meat that tastes too ‘meaty’ so the all-minced meat, salt and pepper version isn’t for me. I have to admit to being a closet vegetarian who sometimes eats meat to make life easier.

Last edited:

Viv19

We all loved them, they reminded me of Ikea meatballs and sauce with an added extra with the mozzarella centre :hungry:

That’s a good idea. I could put some in the middle of my meatballs.
The difference between German meatballs and Swedish ones is that German ones tend to be seasoned with nutmeg and the Swedes use cinnamon. In fact cinnamon seems to be the Swedish go-to spice. Tastes good.

Reactions: gennepher

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks DCUKMod. I’m afraid that we seem to be at the stage where anything ‘different’ is no longer appealing. I often prepare two meals. Though yesterday we both ate pork medallions, the rest was all different.
Lots of pots but he does wash up.

In this house, we never have different main meals, except when my OH had mac & cheese on a non-cooking night, then I'll have cauli cheese, so almost the same thing!

Breakfast we both have yog, plus fruit for him and usually rhubarb for me. Lunchtime, I have a barrell of salad and he has a crusty roll, or sandwich usually, but main means we have the same, although he may have additional carbs. It was a pact we made the day I was diagnosed, and we've stuck with it.

The amended recipe names are only marginally important until we've tried the recipe, to avoid pre-consumption auto-suggestion. This is especially valid as he is the main cook here.