How do people approach going out for a meal and carb counting?

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anybody have any advice on carb counting when eating out at a restaurant? I have found that some places are happy to provide nutritional information but this is not always the case. If anybody could shed any light on this that would be great.

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually have a look online to see if their menu has nutritional information attached. That way, I can decide what I'm going to eat and know the carb/protein/fat content (I realise sometimes this is not always correct!).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @philly1991

I tend to look for low carb food in restaurants so I know I don't have to guesstimate, or order a side of chips and check carbs and cals to work out how many carbs are in them (available as an app).

I stay away from high carb and high fat foods as both are hard to manage and I know I'll end up high despite my best efforts.

Also I take part bolus before food arrives and my second dose when the food is in front of me.

D

Deleted Account

I avoid chain restaurants and support local independent restaurants that serve meals based on locally sourced seasonal ingredients. They don't know from day to day what ingredients they will have available so do not provide online nutritional information because that costs money and limits their opportunity to replace ingredients at the last minute.

I guestimate, do extra testing afterwards with correction if necessary and enjoy my meal and night out.

If you want assistance with guestimating (which gets easier over time), you can use something like Carbs and Cal which is available as a book and an app.

Reactions: kitedoc

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I usually just guess based on my experience. My previous DN used to call it 'eye-balling'. I'm having Chinese tomorrow eating out and it may be a wild guess with checks after 2-3 hours.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am not T1 so hesitate to post here but I do remember some T1's in the past saying that they take a small set of scales and actually weigh their food this is made easier if you ask for a small side plate to help separate out items. not ideal I'm sure but those who mentioned it did say it was doable.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it’s the big named restaurants, they usually have a nutritional information book or online. Carbs and Cals app or book will help give a visual representation and estimations. I know a few T1s would bring tiny scales with them to weigh the carbs they are eating. Lastly, try your best to guess or eyeball it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I go with eye-balling the plate. Be aware that most restaurant sauces are "proper" ones made with butter and flour as a roux, and then adding the flavouring. Soups may well be thickened with cornflour and batter is made with flour and eggs.

If you know even a little about how foods are made, then it's easier to choose foods that won't be high carb. Failing that something like Carbs & Cals does help and you can get it as a phone app at the Play Store. It has all the little pictures of plates etc just like the books.

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I tend to wing it, but choose foods I'm fairly sure won't have hidden stuff added (I have to cater for food allergies as well as T1), and if it does I just correct after. I won't let it spoil a nice time on principle!

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am not T1 so hesitate to post here but I do remember some T1's in the past saying that they take a small set of scales and actually weigh their food this is made easier if you ask for a small side plate to help separate out items. not ideal I'm sure but those who mentioned it did say it was doable.

These foldable scales, Triscales by Joseph Joseph are pretty handy for that sort of thing, fit quite easily into a jacket pocket.

John Lewis usually stocks them for anyone interested.

triscale_white_co1_1.jpg

D

Deleted Account

Even if you weigh your plate, unless you know all the ingredients and proportions, the carb count will still be an estimate.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I avoid or remove sauces and fillings, go for protein and veggies, avoid desserts and because of allergies steer clear of cashews, milk and cheese unless it is almond milk, goat cheses etc.
On line menus make it easily but i too like to support smaller, more boutique restaurants where i can.

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou for all of your comments so far, all very useful suggestions. @Scott-C those scales look very handy!

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid I usually just guess based on my experience. My previous DN used to call it 'eye-balling'. I'm having Chinese tomorrow eating out and it may be a wild guess with checks after 2-3 hours.
I'm sooo envious of people like you who have developed the skill of 'eye-balling' your food. I'm hopeless so resort to scales, but just _knowing_ the carbs must be very liberating.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just guess, I know a cup of veggies (non starchy) is about 5 carbs, greens, almost none, slice of bread whole sprouted 10, , cup of beans or pasta, banana or potato 25..............etc, this is a rule of thumb for what I eat and is common in what I eat, your beans might be higher carbs, or your bread might be higher carb etc.

If you memorize what are the common things you eat and how many carbs they are, you can get pretty close and just make adjustments as needed. I'm a vegan, so it's limited what I pick from anyway!!!!

Love chinese food, veggie chop suey with tofu!!! But I only take a few bites of rice, at 50 quick carbs a cup I find it very hard to control my BG!! I am not a low carber, but rice is just a problem for me.

PS I'm not familiar with carbs and cal, but Calorie King is a free lookup for carbs, fats, calories etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I guesstimate and hope I have made the right decision, as it can be difficult at times.