What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't you have dental departments in hospitals to deal with emergency dental treatment? There's a few here but there's the advantage that we have the trainees here too.

There are no dental departments in hospitals here @maglil55 There is a dental hospital in Cardiff, but that is South Wales. I live in North Wales over 120 miles away. So that is impossible.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have got a couple of bottles of it in the first aid box, great stuff for a temporary fix for tooth ache. We got ours from our pharmacy here in Bundy.
I might go and get a fresh bottle of Clove oil tomorrow. I have had this one a few years.

Reactions: Chook

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Coffee
Cabbage salad
a small slice of pizza (think quarter of flat pita bread)
a mini can of regular pop (hypo treatment)
Half a bottle of G2

In short will figure something else out eventually when it gets cooler

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful news about the house @ianpspurs. Wishing you a nice smooth, stress free move.
Thanks @DJC3. How could there possibly be any stress? By then Bojo the first will bestride this kingdom, ably assisted by members of The Drones Club and Field Marshall Tubby Francois. Stress will be illegal and Unicorn eggs will be 20p a gross. Silly girl.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange bright light in the sky today completely put me off my game. A re-feeding and very re-hydrating day - probably drank 10 pints of tea, B=tea. NE1 was W1 Comte - sometime between breakfast and lunch. NE2 was garlic mushroom fluffy omelette. NE3 was some slices of emmental just because they were there during a wander around the kitchen. NE4 was mackerel and avocado salad this evening. Had maybe 3 strawberries and a few raspberries on my walks around the garden. Oh, bought a new house - reduced to clear. The right place, the right time yesterday as the person who reserved it dropped out. Offer accepted today.
Congratulations on the house hunting.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. So far behind (again) and haven’t caught up with the millions of posts I’ve missed, but checking in from New York before I go missing for good.

Managed an almost carnivorous flight - boosted by snaffling some deli items from the lounge - and am loving the meaty options here - although I wish the Americans ate more lamb. It’s hard to find and expensive. Also stocking up on the low carb treaty things including various brands of baked cheese. Whisps are my favourites but the Parm Crisps are pretty good too.

B2C2C965-67E3-48E8-818A-527AFB91C9A6.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. So far behind (again) and haven’t caught up with the millions of posts I’ve missed, but checking in from New York before I go missing for good.

Managed an almost carnivorous flight - boosted by snaffling some deli items from the lounge - and am loving the meaty options here - although I wish the Americans ate more lamb. It’s hard to find and expensive. Also stocking up on the low carb treaty things including various brands of baked cheese. Whisps are my favourites but the Parm Crisps are pretty good too.

View attachment 33973
Good to see your post. Have a great time in New York - a very good whole food delli and market underneath the Time Warner Centre at Columbus Circus.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My kitchen is still a disaster area and my supplies have all but run out - can't go shopping until tomorrow so it's a question of scratching around to see what takes up no space to prepare. I ended up with sardines on a couple of small slices of wholemeal toast (from a loaf I had in the freezer) for breakfast.

I'm hungry, but can't think of what to have for a quick lunch - that's dangerous for me, I might find something I shouldn't eat.

One way or another I will make my vegetable curry tonight. Some oif the utensils out of the dreaded cupboard are now washed and dried so I may find a little space on the draining board. I ordered some fresh Thai chillies from Amazon a few days ago land they arrived yesterday, so I'll use one of the milder ones and some other spices. Can't make it too hot because I've no yoghurt left to cool it down, or coconut milk either, for that matter.

My cheeky devil of a son has gone to town to buy antifungal paint for the back of the cupboard but can't trust him to get any of the shopping I need - he won't have time anyway because the 2 "boys" have gone to pick up a 2nd hand freezer I have obtained to take the rest of the contents of my big freezer and time is short for son No 2.

Son No 1 was looking at the job requiring to be done on the cupboard and, says he "I think we should just take the cupboard right out (it is actually a couple of IKEA wardrobes which I thought would do the job) and repaint the whole wall, right down to the floor" (bottom 4" can't be reached). I agreed, but don't want to do it right now - another month or so before I am ready to tackle that. Then says he, "while I am at it, why don't I just take out the whole wall and re-insulate it - the old insulation might have been high spec 40 years ago, but it doesn't match up to modern standards." This is the wall to which the sink unit is fitted as well as the big equipment cupboard. "One day," says I, "but first, finish the utility room." This has been a work in progress for about 4 years and we've been making do without a sink in there since then, when he took the old one out. He's a great "kid" (can I describe a 52 year old as a kid?) but he takes forever to finish off the jobs he's very capable of doing. I shouldn't complain, he's an angel really, especially considering that he has to deal with a lot of serious health issues. But I wish, I wish, he would just stick to a job and finish it.

I do have a little gruyere cheese left and some of my pickles. That'll do for lunch I think.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Cool coffee
Cool herbal teas
Cool water

Scrambled eggs and cheese thrown in microwave

Strawberries and raspberries cut up into bits with cream

I bought some fresh fish and steamed it in the microwave as something being easy to eat ie no chewing

That is probably it today.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Getting a bit of age about it, hope you get some pain free relief from it tonight. :)

I did @Tipetoo
But didn’t sleep too well.

Went and bought some more clove oil. A new one. But it tastes horrible. It doesn’t feel as smooth as the old clove oil. Yes it does work, but it makes me wonder if there are different qualities/grades of clove oil, just like there are different qualities/grades of lavender or rose oils.
The old one tastes much better. I don’t think the old clove oil has lost much of its power, if any.

Reactions: Viv19 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
It's not so hot up here in Yorkshire - the garden thermometer shows 18c but it's due to be a lot hotter tomorrow.

The monthly shopping was done this morning - eight shops visited and stuff bought at all of them. I didn't feel like going (cold bounced back again) but just had to get on with it because we are running out of stuff and Mr C says he's not shopping in 30c heat tomorrow.

So today...

Breakfast: Toby carvery buffet breakfast. I had sausages, bacon, eggs, mushrooms and baked beans. Lots of it and very nice. The idea is that having a big breakfast stops us impulse buying. It didn't.

Lunch: Cup of tea

Dinner: Mr C is cooking
Starter: BIG prawns fried in butter, garlic, chopped red chilli and lemon on a bed of lettuce from the garden
Main: fresh mussels in a white wine and garlic stock
Dessert: any strawberries that are ripe in the garden.

We couldn't understand how some of the strawberries are being partially eaten because all our fruit and veg is grown in a large fruit cage. We saw the culprit this morning - a tiny blue tit which fits through the holes in the mesh. Just glad it wasn't mice!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another wonderful day weather wise.
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch half tin of sardines in olive oil with five lc seeded crispbreads and three 100% hotel choc buttons
Dinner trout in lemon butter, asparagus and cauliflower cheese followed by lc lemon and lime mousse served with one of my garden strawberries with a spoon of yoghurt and cream.
@DJC3 you asked about the libre and the sauna and steam room yes I’ve been in both with it on but limited time to around 5mins in each and it does have a waterproof covering I applied on advice from @maglil55. Dosent seem to have bothered it yet so will carry on.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I may be the only person who has spent the day wearing a fleece and feeling cold. Broke my own record for tea today - no idea how much. Also had LC electrolytes in my water bottle and 1 CWC. @shelley262 sounds like a fab bay and delicious menu. Question for you and other libre wearers. Do you still finger prick as well and if so how close are the two? Hopefully no need for the fleece tomorrow. Have a great evening and weekend.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another wonderful day weather wise.
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch half tin of sardines in olive oil with five lc seeded crispbreads and three 100% hotel choc buttons
Dinner trout in lemon butter, asparagus and cauliflower cheese followed by lc lemon and lime mousse served with one of my garden strawberries with a spoon of yoghurt and cream.
@DJC3 you asked about the libre and the sauna and steam room yes I’ve been in both with it on but limited time to around 5mins in each and it does have a waterproof covering I applied on advice from @maglil55. Dosent seem to have bothered it yet so will carry on.

I can’t usually manage more than 5 mins anyway! I’m glad you’re getting time to swim and sauna now life is quieter for a little while.

Viv19

@Chook fresh mussels in white wine with garlic sounds delicious.
Hope you are able to chase that cold away soon.
I meant to eat less today. Well perhaps it was, sort of.
No breakfast, tea.
Cwc
Lunch was a mixed salad (2 mushrooms, 5 tiny tomatoes, chopped celery, 1 radish, and some leaves) with baked piece of salmon with whole grain mustard dressing.
Strawberries, blueberries with Greek yoghurt
Tea
Nuts
Evening 2 slices LC bread with cheddar, Camembert and ham
More berries and yoghurt
More tea (Dad makes non stop tea).
A few years ago I heard of a really good way to cook salmon - I always do it that way now (also other fish). Brush with oil, season and put on baking/greaseproof paper on a tray. Put into a cold oven, turn on to 200C and bake for 20 mins. This will cook one or lots more pieces of fish with less smell and much better. When I cooked 4 very large fat pieces I gave it 25 minutes. I don’t like pink salmon so this cooks it through, just right for me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs and mushrooms.
Lunch some charcuterie and a flaxseed bun with cream cheese. SF jelly& cream
D: Chicken Caesar salad, another recipe from Aseem Malhotra’s Pioppi diet book, it was very good, lovely Caesar dressing. Most of the recipes have been nice apart from that terrible nut butter omelette a few days ago.
@ianpspurs why have you been wearing a fleece? Is it chilly in the Fens or are you just feeling cold because you’re hungry?