What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs and mushrooms.
Lunch some charcuterie and a flaxseed bun with cream cheese. SF jelly& cream
D: Chicken Caesar salad, another recipe from Aseem Malhotra’s Pioppi diet book, it was very good, lovely Caesar dressing. Most of the recipes have been nice apart from that terrible nut butter omelette a few days ago.
@ianpspurs why have you been wearing a fleece? Is it chilly in the Fens or are you just feeling cold because you’re hungry?
Nice sounding menu. It is warm here, if a bit breezy, but I have been cold and sleepy - partly due to waking at 4.00 and partly to some kind of virus or hay fever. I don't usually suffer from hay fever, certainly didn't last year. Not really any more hungry than most most days. If the weather forecast is correct I really ought to be warm enough tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. I may be the only person who has spent the day wearing a fleece and feeling cold. Broke my own record for tea today - no idea how much. Also had LC electrolytes in my water bottle and 1 CWC. @shelley262 sounds like a fab bay and delicious menu. Question for you and other libre wearers. Do you still finger prick as well and if so how close are the two? Hopefully no need for the fleece tomorrow. Have a great evening and weekend.
Hi Ian
I did a bit of finger pricking when first had it to check parity but once realised how similar they are I’ve been having a finger pricking holiday and loving it. As I’m not on meds if it was a bit out it’s not an issue but for me they are just at the levels that I’ve usually had with finger pricks and so much more information as takes reading every 15mins and captures on reader or phone app provided you scan at least every 8 hours. Love the graphs etc. In fact I am planning to run another one straight after this one to get months worth of figures but will move to one a month after that.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: M&S crispy bacon strips with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold roast chicken drum sticks with leafy salad and one tomato, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian
I did a bit of finger pricking when first had it to check parity but once realised how similar they are I’ve been having a finger pricking holiday and loving it. As I’m not on meds if it was a bit out it’s not an issue but for me they are just at the levels that I’ve usually had with finger pricks and so much more information as takes reading every 15mins and captures on reader or phone app provided you scan at least every 8 hours. Love the graphs etc. In fact I am planning to run another one straight after this one to get months worth of figures but will move to one a month after that.
Thanks for that @shelley262. It sounds as though it is really useful for you. The one a month idea sounds a good one.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Despite my better intentions earlier, I didn't make my veg curry. My 2nd hand freezer (free) arrived and I had to clean it. Actually had to strip it out, even to taking off the rubber seal to get mould off. Angelic son checked the wiring, and decided to renew it. He also did a check with his PAT tester and declared it safe to use. He's a very knowledgeable amateur electrician. Then it was time to go to the children's class I help out with and no time to cook.

I popped in to a chippie van which parks between us and town on Fridays and bought fish & chips. Just ate the fish - it was good even without the batter. A bit short on veggies today - just a tomato chopped up with the pickles I had with my last bit of cheese. I'll make up for it tomorrow.

I'll finish off cleaning the freezer tomorrow when I come back from my big shopping trip.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Fresh caught blue salmon fillets barbequed, salad.
Dinner: Chicken drumsticks, peri peri dipping mix.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea, no sugar / sweeteners, water.

Viv19

Lunch yesterday: Fresh caught blue salmon fillets barbequed, salad.
Dinner: Chicken drumsticks, peri peri dipping mix.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea, no sugar / sweeteners, water.

Did you catch the salmon Tipetoo? I like fishing- it’s both peaceful and fun - when you catch something! Not that I have had a chance to fish for years (and years .....)

Reactions: Chook and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice sounding menu. It is warm here, if a bit breezy, but I have been cold and sleepy - partly due to waking at 4.00 and partly to some kind of virus or hay fever. I don't usually suffer from hay fever, certainly didn't last year. Not really any more hungry than most most days. If the weather forecast is correct I really ought to be warm enough tomorrow.

Doesn’t sound nice. I think it’s getting far more common these days for people to develop hay fever in later life. Mr C started with it in his late 40s Docs thought conjunctivitis and he had antibiotics and all sorts. It was the pharmacist who recognised hay fever. ( I on the other hand used to suffer terribly with it, but barely get a sniffle these days) Never heard of it making you feel cold though, but that could just be because of the tiredness and hunger I guess. Hope you feel better today.

Reactions: gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t sound nice. I think it’s getting far more common these days for people to develop hay fever in later life. Mr C started with it in his late 40s Docs thought conjunctivitis and he had antibiotics and all sorts. It was the pharmacist who recognised hay fever. ( I on the other hand used to suffer terribly with it, but barely get a sniffle these days) Never heard of it making you feel cold though, but that could just be because of the tiredness and hunger I guess. Hope you feel better today.
Thanks. Slept later - could be the base layer I wore. So far similar clothing today, minus fleece, and no shivering. Tiredness always has made me feel cold but so has LC/losing weight and folks know it is a rare day I am not hungry.

Viv19

Thanks. Slept later - could be the base layer I wore. So far similar clothing today, minus fleece, and no shivering. Tiredness always has made me feel cold but so has LC/losing weight and folks know it is a rare day I am not hungry.

Can you sit in the sun today Ianpspurs? Some warming rays might be just what you need.

Reactions: gennepher

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you sit in the sun today Ianpspurs? Some warming rays might be just what you need.
Thanks @Viv19. I did wander around the very sunny garden several times yesterday but not great. Last Saturday we were at a village event. Everyone else was saying it was hot but I went home for a jumper and a hoodie and still felt cold. Fens and Breckland - where I will be today - forecast to be around 30+ so hopefully no shivering today.

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs hope your body temperature is more consistent today. You know I think you dont eat enough. Sometimes I can be cold for no reason, the day I had my eye done it wasnt cold but I fancied soup. The LC food that mystifies me is avocado. I buy three small perfectly ripe a week but do struggle to eat it. I had one yesterday sliced with a bed of prawn cocktail on top but I just found its texture slimy. I would have much preferred crisp little gem leaves. I am very close to giving up on it, its only the healthyfat properties that keep me interested. Anyone else feel like this.
Btw because its warm and I fancy ice cream I am going to try whizzing frozen berries with Fage 5% to freeze not sure what the carb properties are though. Any tips?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs hope your body temperature is more consistent today. You know I think you dont eat enough. Sometimes I can be cold for no reason, the day I had my eye done it wasnt cold but I fancied soup. The LC food that mystifies me is avocado. I buy three small perfectly ripe a week but do struggle to eat it. I had one yesterday sliced with a bed of prawn cocktail on top but I just found its texture slimy. I would have much preferred crisp little gem leaves. I am very close to giving up on it, its only the healthyfat properties that keep me interested. Anyone else feel like this.
Btw because its warm and I fancy ice cream I am going to try whizzing frozen berries with Fage 5% to freeze not sure what the carb properties are though. Any tips?
Thanks @PenguinMum. I had a little lecture from Julie on eating more but atm most calorific lc food is plain hateful or makes my joints seize up. Avocados are very much to my taste and are pretty calorific so we are polar opposites there. No doubt if I felt I could find a place for alcohol in my world again it would add some useless calories. We froze some raspberries and strawberries yesterday to do exactly what you propose with the Fage. I really want the food fairy to master very soft h/m ice cream in our ice cream maker. Make the Fage version and say sucks to the carbs. Thanks again for the concern but I think the compromise I need to make is periods like this against huge doses of naproxen. I don't want carby food anymore or even most lc proxies - refused the offer of fave lc birthday cake and all time winner sourdough sandwich. If you add in Julie's major intolerance to many foods there is a very narrow subset of food that works chez nous. Long winded way of saying that is why I don't eat much - far easier to just avoid food.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I just mix the frozen berries with the fage or cream and serve! It’s lovely soft instant ice cream or yoghurt. Only make small quantities but it’s popular at ours as an instant cooling pud.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @PenguinMum. I had a little lecture from Julie on eating more but atm most calorific lc food is plain hateful or makes my joints seize up. Avocados are very much to my taste and are pretty calorific so we are polar opposites there. No doubt if I felt I could find a place for alcohol in my world again it would add some useless calories. We froze some raspberries and strawberries yesterday to do exactly what you propose with the Fage. I really want the food fairy to master very soft h/m ice cream in our ice cream maker. Make the Fage version and say sucks to the carbs. Thanks again for the concern but I think the compromise I need to make is periods like this against huge doses of naproxen. I don't want carby food anymore or even most lc proxies - refused the offer of fave lc birthday cake and all time winner sourdough sandwich. If you add in Julie's major intolerance to many foods there is a very narrow subset of food that works chez nous. Long winded way of saying that is why I don't eat much - far easier to just avoid food.
It cant be an easy balancing act with Julie’s intolerances and your LC. You dont want your joints seizing up and living on Naproxen if you can help it. I am guessing its meat that affects your joints worst. Its a pity you are so limited in choice but we all do what we can to keep trouble from our door. Best wishes.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just mix it up, add a dash of cream and funnily enough a teeny bit of salt - stand for a couple of minutes and the frozen berries will dump some chill to the whole dish. I have recently substituted cream for kefir as I am making a good quantity of that - good with a blob of peanut butter if that’s your thing or with a sprinkle of seeds - hot tip, don’t add marmite.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher