What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH has been playing in a golf match today, so will be fed by his hosts. That means I fed myself.

I had saved the following, ultra, ultra simple recipe a few days ago, when I was looking for something else, but tonight it received an airing. The recipe is for lamb chops, but I did it with some chicken thighs. I marinaded a number, only a couple of which were eaten. When finished, I looked to wards the freezer, but was strong.

At only 30 minutes in the airfryer for a crispy, delicious outcome. There'll be more of these.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

I'm sure it's work with lots of stuff from lamb to chicken to paneer, to even cauliflower florets.

Oh now I’m going to have to do this. I love lamb and my mother, over from France, think that lamb is the only “safe” reared meat left in the world - I wonder if pan frying some cauliflower with some of that marinade would be overdoing it - let’s test that idea.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh now I’m going to have to do this. I love lamb and my mother, over from France, think that lamb is the only “safe” reared meat left in the world - I wonder if pan frying some cauliflower with some of that marinade would be overdoing it - let’s test that idea.
To be honest, it's one of those delicious things that just feeds (pun intended) my laziness. Lob some yoghurt and a few spices in a bowl. Add meat and ignore for an indeterminate period.

Grill, BBQ, air fry or roast. Demolish.

It'd also be good to marinate cauli florets, then roast/airfry, until those little charred bits form.

Nom. Nom

Reactions: Viv19 and dunelm

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week but all good now. Food wise today just water and black coffee before my scan this morning
Then a 4 hr wait until my follow up appointment so went for lunch at Bella Italia. I really fancied the low carb prawn/ veg spaghetti dish @Rachox had recently but decided against it because of the garlic. Didn’t want to asphyxiate my lovely consultant when I owe him so much!
Had Caesar salad with chicken and pancetta. Approx 10g carbs
Scan all clear. Happy days, 6 more months of jollity.
Battled home on tube, collected Dennis and shared a bottle of Moët in pub garden ( not with Dennis)
Dinner was bunless 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger because I’d got no food in and didn’t intend to cook.
@shelley262 hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
@DCUKMod I like the look of that tandoori recipe, and done in the airfryer is even better.
Excellent news on the scan results. Coupled with the eyes and impending lovely A1c a very successful week despite the problems. Not sure how fodmap and gout friendly the tandoori recipe is but I have passed it to the food fairy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
11-07-19
Breakfast
Last of the nut granola, must make more.
2 fried eggs and wilted spinach beet from the garden, tea x 2.
Displacement activities - kept myself occupied until 11.30 when I finally managed to get myself started on the painting in the shower room. Can you tell it's not a favourite thing of mine? Meanwhile Mr slim is putting plasterboard ceiling up. Very heavy strenuous work. Lunch
Slice of smoked salmon, piece of baguette, salad, mozzarella, more of the chinese leaf based coleslaw.
More painting in the afternoon doors this time. Undercoat.
Dinner, chicken thighs, cooked all in one roasting tray with courgette, both yellow and green, green and yellow peppers, green chilli, garlic and lemon, few tiny onions and two tiny potatoes for each of us. Made enough for two days. Glass of sauvignon, lemon and ginger tea.
Am off tea and coffee while having some treatment on my teeth. Didn't think I would miss it, but find myself a bit grouchy two days in,:(

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest, it's one of those delicious things that just feeds (pun intended) my laziness. Lob some yoghurt and a few spices in a bowl. Add meat and ignore for an indeterminate period.

Grill, BBQ, air fry or roast. Demolish.

It'd also be good to marinate cauli florets, then roast/airfry, until those little charred bits form.

Nom. Nom
Sounds good to me

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Eaten today

A few cashew nuts
Bits dark chocolate
Black coffees

Breakfast about 8 am
Eggs and a bit cheese thrown in microwave.
Ate two slices corned beef while eggs were nuking.
Coffee with cream

Was out with friends today so had roast lunch while we were all out.
Copious variety vegetables, 2 thick slices gammon, 2 roast potatoes (I only asked for 2, but lady put 6 on my plate). I had promised myself I could have only two roast spuds. So was fighting with myself because I wanted the other 4 roast spuds as well....but I was a very very good girl and left them.

They all had a roast dinner as well, but afterwards they are having these delicious fresh cream cakes. I didn’t have any!

My reward was a perfect evening blood glucose reading for me of 7.3

Water and teas to drink

>^..^<
So difficult when the temptation us on your plate. Well done for resisting.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s good:
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: egg mayo and littlegem leaves
Supper: a bit of a scratch dinner as often happens on a Thursday
Fried snipped streaky bacon with a diced red pepper then added in jar Sacla Tomato & Olive concentrated jar (surprisingly LC with big flavour) needed little water from kettle to loosen spoon of black olives from jar and defrosted pack of large prawns. Served with pasta for OH and green rice for me. Really surprisingly tasty!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday’s good:
Breakfast: usual 1 slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: egg mayo and littlegem leaves
Supper: a bit of a scratch dinner as often happens on a Thursday
Fried snipped streaky bacon with a diced red pepper then added in jar Sacla Tomato & Olive concentrated jar (surprisingly LC with big flavour) needed little water from kettle to loosen spoon of black olives from jar and defrosted pack of large prawns. Served with pasta for OH and green rice for me. Really surprisingly tasty!
Edit: Also added to the above a good pinch of dried chilli flakes and ground black pepper.

Reactions: gennepher

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

A few cashew nuts
Dark chocolate bits
2 black coffees

8 am
Scrambled eggs and a bit of cheese nuked in microwave
cwc

10 am
Strawberries (frozen) and raspberries with double cream
Tea x2

11:45
2 slices roast beef
Slices cucumber with skin cut off (too hard to swallow)
Watercress with butter on to swallow
Gem lettuce with butter on to swallow
Some blitzed seeds mixed in with the butter
Tea x2

That’s it until tomorrow. No more food until tomorrow morning.

Water and tea and herbal teas the rest of the day

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nuked in microwave
I used to love “thrown in microwave” it was quite endearing and made me smile!
Btw I recently discovered you can wilt down watercress with a knob of butter in a pan just like spinach...might be easier to swallow...just a thought!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week but all good now. Food wise today just water and black coffee before my scan this morning
Then a 4 hr wait until my follow up appointment so went for lunch at Bella Italia. I really fancied the low carb prawn/ veg spaghetti dish @Rachox had recently but decided against it because of the garlic. Didn’t want to asphyxiate my lovely consultant when I owe him so much!
Had Caesar salad with chicken and pancetta. Approx 10g carbs
Scan all clear. Happy days, 6 more months of jollity.
Battled home on tube, collected Dennis and shared a bottle of Moët in pub garden ( not with Dennis)
Dinner was bunless 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger because I’d got no food in and didn’t intend to cook.
@shelley262 hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
@DCUKMod I like the look of that tandoori recipe, and done in the airfryer is even better.

Fantastic news @DJC3 ... And a well deserved drink indeed.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think the chimp that sometimes sits on @dunelm's shoulder whispering wizard wheezes has migrated to the fens. Julie casually asked if I really needed to spend over £30 on cheese in W.......se - (sent to buy radishes and flowers) - those gals on the deli counter force fed me tasters especially Twisca gouda.. Being smug I replied "O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars / Are in the poorest thing superfluous. / Allow not nature more than nature needs, / Man’s life’s as cheap as beast’s." Completely forgot she went to school in Bermondsey before it was gentrified - language would have made a docker blush. Nurse says when the stitches heal there will be no scars . Can you please reclaim your chimp.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

So pleased about your scan result @DJC3

Hope all went well with the bloods, @shelley262

Two meals again today. Brunch was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a small piece of Cornish Cove cheddar.

Dinner was slow cooked oxtail. Remaining juices and bones have been returned to the slow cooker along with additional bones and juices from earlier meals to create some stronger stock.

Waitrose trip imminent to address the short rib shortage revealed by freezer stock take.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 thrilled for you amazing I raised a glass to you this evening, whilst enjoying a glass of cremant having got my bloods out of the way - results reported when know them, prob next Thursday.
Breakfast after early bloods two rashers of streaky bacon and one egg
Lunch a few cheeses, 2 lc seeded crispbreads, celery followed by six hc 100% choc buttons
Dinner duck stir fry with two glasses of cremant de Loire followed by sf jelly and spoon each of yoghurt and cream about to have mug of decaf coffee with cream - missed my coffee yesterday on my pre lipids fast!
Happy weekend all I’ve got some work on a bit boring but need to do as a few fun expeditions planned for next week.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably simple to guess my menu aside from timings. Tea and small cubes of taster cheese until 2.40. NE1 was current standard 2 xlarge flaxseed crackers, buttered spread with simple mackerel pate - whipped cream cheese and tin of mackerel fillets in EVO. Also had cucumber and vine cherry toms. Then munched some of the Ewes milk gouda. NE2 (6.40 ish) was avocado and egg salad usual suspects but added chicory - that upped the potassium nicely. Still looking after Hagrid's knee but fbg 4.8 and managed to cut the grass on the ditch bank. Felt pleased (with knee and ankle) about carrying the 20kg chicken feed bag on my shoulder until the young girl in the store carried 2 for another man.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 cremant has long been my favourite fizz so I am in good company!
@Goonergal I love that you do a freezer stocktake I tend to “fly by the seat of my pants” as regards the freezer though I have a great friend who keeps an inventory of meals and portion size and ticks them off as used.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably simple to guess my menu aside from timings. Tea and small cubes of taster cheese until 2.40. NE1 was current standard 2 xlarge flaxseed crackers, buttered spread with simple mackerel pate - whipped cream cheese and tin of mackerel fillets in EVO. Also had cucumber and vine cherry toms. Then munched some of the Ewes milk gouda. NE2 (6.40 ish) was avocado and egg salad usual suspects but added chicory - that upped the potassium nicely. Still looking after Hagrid's knee but fbg 4.8 and managed to cut the grass on the ditch bank. Felt pleased (with knee and ankle) about carrying the 20kg chicken feed bag on my shoulder until the young girl in the store carried 2 for another man.
Was the ewes milk cheese the one with oregano crust? I love that cheese, a bit toomuch actually! Sorry about Hagrids knee but take it gently.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Right am away tomo so here goes for today:
Breakfast: all together now...slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Baked a batch of keto cheese scones, smaller than usual so has two split with butter.
Supper: Was at my fave farm shopthis morning, they have a fresh fish man with the mornings catch on a Friday from 11.30 so I bought 2 dressed crabs (cooked this morning early eat by Sun and will be lunch Sun when I return from my friend’s) two portions monkfish tail expertly trimmed which I have marinated with gentle spice to panfry/finish in oven after tennis. I will have green veg OH chips. No need for afters with such a feast.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the ewes milk cheese the one with oregano crust? I love that cheese, a bit toomuch actually! Sorry about Hagrids knee but take it gently.
Don't think it had an oregano crust. Twisca from the deli counter - those gels really bully me. Enjoy your meet up with your friend and the tennis. I can't warm to Federer.

Last edited: