LOW CARB SUCCESS STORIES

J.H.L

Hi all. I can certainly recommend the LCHF/keto approach. I have been Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, and for 12 of those years I have been insulin dependant. 19 weeks ago, my partner proposed that we should adopt a new Lifestyle.................and our journey started. This change was primarily to remove insulin from my life, if possible. Well 19 weeks later, I have lost 44 pounds in weight...........and more importantly my Doctor has removed insulin from my repeat prescriptions totally and reduced my Metformin by 50%. Here are my before and now pictures........................................my journey continues.

View attachment 24870 View attachment 24869
Today's very special social media post.

Today I went for my 6 monthly diabetic review. It's now official.*** I'M IN REMISSION *** Bloods show non diabetic hba1c. Nurse doesnt need to see me again for 12 months. She laughed and said she couldn't teach me anything and that she could learn from me!!!

This time 18 months ago I was diagnosed. Offered metformin straight away and statins (for cholesterol) soon after (they usually go hand in hand). I was told it would be progressive. I declined both. Asked nurse if I could try diet first, I had heard you could reverse diabetes and wanted to see if I could. Went home totally devastated. Googled 'reversing diabetes ' found low carb was the way the majority of people were doing it. Never looked back. Back to pre diabetic level bloods within 2 months (all symptoms disappeared at this point, IBS, blurry vision, dry mouth, indigestion, yeast infections, itchy skin) and non diabetic at my next check up after 6 months. And it remains there. My cholesterol is slightly raised since diagnosis but all my ratios are excellent and I'm not in the slightest bit concerned. Ive learned so much about cholesterol on my journey too. Its not the baddy it's made out to be. Anyway, that's another story. I dont need meds. Meds don't actually help with the diabetes that much anyway. I just think of meds as the mop and bucket mopping up the sugar and carbs. What you need to do is stop the leak (sugar and carbs) for blood sugars to return to normal in the majority of cases. And also use a blood glucose monitor to avoid spikes that can cause terrible problems including amputations, blindness, peripheral neuropathy and much more. I feel these should be offered to all diabetics/pre diabetics. Monitoring is essential to control blood sugar levels. How else do you know how your body deals with food, we are all different so no rule book. I've written to Theresa May about this, no reply to date but I've heard she has been a little busy!

So here is me today looking very happy with myself, size 12, keeping my 4 stone weight loss off hasn't been a problem either. I dont get hungry with this way of eating. Its not for everyone who wants to lose weight, some have great success with weight watchers and slimming world (I never did, well I did but short lived and put all weight back on and more besides). The other photo is me when I finished at PDS Medical a year last November. Size 18/20.

A personal goal in life is to help others whether it's in controlling blood sugars or maybe losing a few unwanted lbs. I'm currently working with my surgery (x 2) and I'm absolutely made up they have embraced this. I live in hope that the advice given to pre diabetic and those diagnosed diabetic changes. At the moment we are encouraged to eat a 'balanced diet' which includes lots of starchy carbs. Why I have no idea. You wouldnt give someone with a nut allergy peanuts would you. But times are a changing all be it very slowly. So until the tide turns I will keep spreading the word, which many of my fb friends are only too aware of!!!! I make no apologies.

So look after your health. It's your wealth. Making small changes will make all the difference. You should start to feel better in yourself straight away. Also helps with migraines, joint pains, spots and so much more......

For more info diabetics will find an amazing members forum here:

Diabetes.co.uk

And those who might want to lose weight here:

Diet doctor
Ditch the carbs

If you made it to the end if this post WELL DONE!!!
You look so much younger. Great job... :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I can certainly recommend the LCHF/keto approach. I have been Type 2 Diabetic for over 20 years, and for 12 of those years I have been insulin dependant. 19 weeks ago, my partner proposed that we should adopt a new Lifestyle.................and our journey started. This change was primarily to remove insulin from my life, if possible. Well 19 weeks later, I have lost 44 pounds in weight...........and more importantly my Doctor has removed insulin from my repeat prescriptions totally and reduced my Metformin by 50%. Here are my before and now pictures........................................my journey continues.

View attachment 24870 View attachment 24869
Wow! You look so much younger, so much healthier. Your journey is inspirational. To hear that you have turned diabetes on its head. Coming off insulin after you have been on it for 12 years. Awesome.

Reactions: Prem51

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Success stories Hba1c 38 !!!!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on May 7th of this year with a Hba1c of 92. The doctor told me that according to his records I'd had prediabetes since a random test in March 2015 but they forgot to tell me, so I'm not sure how long I have had type 2, I've certainly had symptoms for the last 3 years.
The day I got my diagnosis I found this forum and I was basically a nervous wreck, I thought I was going to go blind any minute because my vision had gone blurry and I was too scared to eat anything in case I ate the wrong thing. Many of you were incredibly kind to me and I will always be so grateful that you took the time to reach out to me and answer my terrified questions. Thank you in particular @Caeseji @Rachox @DCUKMod @Resurgam @bulkbiker @Brunneria @Robbity @HSSS @jjraak @Goonergal and @JoKalsbeek .Sorry if there's anyone I've forgotten to mention by name, everyone has been so kind.

I got my 3 month Hba1c test result back today and the result was 38. NORMAL!
Weighed myself this morning and have lost over four and a half stone, most of which seems to have gone from my middle.

I have been combining a low carb diet and intermittent fasting with a couple of small extended fasts. I have @followed the advice of Jason Fung, David Unwin and basically watched almost every video on dietdoctor.com, and taken their advice. I upped my exercise a bit too, but nothing too strenuous.

I'm never going back to my old way of life. Thanks again you wonderful people.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger

I was diagnosed with Type 2 on May 7th of this year with a Hba1c of 92. The doctor told me that according to his records I'd had prediabetes since a random test in March 2015 but they forgot to tell me, so I'm not sure how long I have had type 2, I've certainly had symptoms for the last 3 years.
The day I got my diagnosis I found this forum and I was basically a nervous wreck, I thought I was going to go blind any minute because my vision had gone blurry and I was too scared to eat anything in case I ate the wrong thing. Many of you were incredibly kind to me and I will always be so grateful that you took the time to reach out to me and answer my terrified questions. Thank you in particular @Caeseji @Rachox @DCUKMod @Resurgam @bulkbiker @Brunneria @Robbity @HSSS @jjraak @Goonergal and @JoKalsbeek .Sorry if there's anyone I've forgotten to mention by name, everyone has been so kind.

Weighed myself this morning and have lost over four and a half stone, most of which seems to have gone from my middle.

I have been combining a low carb diet and intermittent fasting with a couple of small extended fasts. I have @followed the advice of Jason Fung, David Unwin and basically watched almost every video on dietdoctor.com, and taken their advice. I upped my exercise a bit too, but nothing too strenuous.

Also a big thank you to @Jim Lahey ... where would I be without your no-nonsense wisdom and humour?

Reactions: Prem51 and Winnie53

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

92 to 38! In 3 months! 4 and a half stone! What an amazing result. One of the best set of stats I've seen. You have done so well. All your hard work has paid off. You are back in control. Isn't it wonderful how lifestyle choices can turn things right around. Such a pity we arent informed this on dx, or before!

I always thank my lucky stars for this forum and the amazing people you mentioned above, and so many more, who give their time up to help and advise others and guide them through to better health. They are simply the best.

And when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too.

Well done once again.

Reactions: Tryfan01 and Prem51

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
92 to 38! In 3 months! 4 and a half stone! What an amazing result. One of the best set of stats I've seen. You have done so well. All your hard work has paid off. You are back in control. Isn't it wonderful how lifestyle choices can turn things right around. Such a pity we arent informed this on dx, or before!

I always thank my lucky stars for this forum and the amazing people you mentioned above, and so many more, who give their time up to help and advise others and guide them through to better health. They are simply the best.

And when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too.

Well done once again.

Thank you so much @Debandez you hit the nail on the head! 'when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too!'

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is almost an unbelievable result. Amazing in such a short time. All that blood sugar gone and all that weight. You must feel on top of the world. Many, many congratulations. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fantastic news! A remarkable turn around! But remember you did the hard work, keep up the good work and look forward to a healthy future x

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much @Debandez you hit the nail on the head! 'when we find the forum feeling lost, forlorn, devastated, in a spin we not only find all the sound advice we need but also a place where we can have a laugh too!'
I always think of my diagnosis as a blessing in disguise. Never felt better.

Well done again. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Very kind of you to mention me.. but us old hands just give people the pointers.. you did all the hard work.
So well done for an extremely well deserved result.

SUPERSTAR!

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
That is almost an unbelievable result. Amazing in such a short time. All that blood sugar gone and all that weight. You must feel on top of the world. Many, many congratulations. :)

Thanks so much @Bluetit1802 the ironic thing was that I've been trying to lose weight for years but on low fat high carb so it just wouldn't shift! I was so depressed and had given up hope of anything working. Thank God for keto! I couldn't get my head around it at first as it seemed so counter intuitive but boy did it work for me! xx

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Very kind of you to mention me.. but us old hands just give people the pointers.. you did all the hard work.
So well done for an extremely well deserved result.

SUPERSTAR!
Thanks @bulkbiker I watched your story over on dietdoctor so many times and it gave me such hope :)
You're an inspiration.

Reactions: Prem51

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views

That was so lovely of you to mention me, I'm just glad that I could help you with your starting out here and here is to your continued health as well.

Managed to upstage me too, I am going to have to try harder now aren't I?

You've done so very well and I cannot tell you how proud I am.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

very kind of you to mention me. @chrestomanci all i did was relay the messages passed to me.

But thank you anyway..so glad was able to help you in anyway at all.

Now the hard work begins..Looking after those who tread in our footsteps
but for now..rest and enjoy the Praise.

best wishes for the Journey ahead

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
That was so lovely of you to mention me, I'm just glad that I could help you with your starting out here and here is to your continued health as well.

Managed to upstage me too, I am going to have to try harder now aren't I?

You've done so very well and I cannot tell you how proud I am.

No one could upstage you @Caeseji xxx

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
very kind of you to mention me. @chrestomanci all i did was relay the messages passed to me.

But thank you anyway..so glad was able to help you in anyway at all.

Now the hard work begins..Looking after those who tread in our footsteps
but for now..rest and enjoy the Praise.

best wishes for the Journey ahead

Thanks @jjraak... it was such good news xx

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Absolutely amazing result @chrestomanci - congratulations! :)

Thanks @Prem51 it's such a relief! I remember reading this success stories thread when I was first diagnosed and it giving me such hope. I just wanted to add my experience to the growing body of people who are living proof that low carb can put type 2 into remission in many people.

Every time I went to see the diabetic nurse she would tell me something terrifying such as 'you have definitely destroyed all the cells in your pancreas that make insulin, that's why your disease is progressive.' I would come back home and get on this forum and gradually the fear would dissipate. I am so grateful xx