PR SUCCESSES - GETTING THE WORD OUT THAT LCHF IS THE BEST DIET TO HELP TREAT TYPE 2 DIABETES

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Applied to join PPG at my health centre, there are no vacancies. I will have to wait until one of the old codgers pop their clogs.

They cant get enough applicants at ours! Hardly anyone interested, that said there is no advertising! I wont say that i hope you get accepted soon for obvious reasons (poor old codger!).

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad We have a virtual group but it doesn't do much. They just send e-mails between themselves.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad We have a virtual group but it doesn't do much. They just send e-mails between themselves.
I see. The drive for initiating it with our lot was to capture input from those that cannot attend the PPG meetings owing to other commitments such as work.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotoff the press

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9...in-i-just-had-to-beat-it-by-changing-my-diet/

Shared on my Facebook and this was 1st comment!!!

Well done Debra!!!
I introduced mum to low carb eating after Dad passed away and she came to stay with us for a few weeks in March. I told her about you and your diabetes. She has been insulin dependent for a few years now and couldn’t control her sugar levels. She has kept it up and is enjoying food again after years of eating just what dad wanted, sandwiches, chips etc. her doctor, after trying to regulate her sugar levels without success, has taken her off the insulin injections completely. She has been needle free for a few weeks now and has never felt better. She will be in UK next month until November so you may meet her.

My reply

You have no idea how happy this makes me feel. It is possible to come off insulin and meds but not everyone will want to change their lifestyle. Please say well done to your mum. I would LOVE to meet her. We are told once on meds that's it. It's a progressive disease. We will eventually end up on insulin and there isnothing we can do about it. This is why I'm doing this. There IS an alternate and it doesnt cost anything. It could save the NHS billions if they just advocated it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! Xxxx

My Facebook post:
Read all about it! A week of diabetes in The Sun.

I wasnt sure if they would include my story or when it would be in if so. I didnt get to proof read the tons of info I gave in my interview but this sums it up really well. They have included a photo of my dear mum . and also my beautiful granddaughter Willow and my 2nd mum, auntie Bernie which I'm thrilled about because it helps to make it very real. The photo of the bigger me was from 2014. I hate it but it shows me at the biggest. And the reason I put on weight I know now was down to insulin resistance. My body was struggling to deal with the sugar and consequently was storing it as fat!

Yes I thought I ate healthy, brown bread, pasta rice potatoes, 'healthy' cereal. Fruit and fruit juice. Not only was it too many carbs (which turn to sugar), which lead me to my type 2 diagnosis, but I ate too often. I've cut carbs right back. I've increased my healthy fat intake. Cut out processed food as its loaded with sugar, often hidden under over 50 different names. I eat like my granny used to eat basically. Carbs give you energy, when you cut back your body uses fat for its energy. As a result i lost weight rapidly. And the biggy for me was I didnt feel hungry as fats keep you full for longer. Fat is our friend not our enemy.

Yes I'm classed as in remission. But I will always be diabetic. If I go back to my old ways it would no doubt come back. The way I look at it is I have a dads army fighting the sugar inside me whereas non diabetics have the SAS. But I can control it well with diet. And I still love my food. One of the photos shows me eating a boxed salad from Kate's, my local butty shop. They are enormous and I eat the lot (I ask for a low carb option). Freshly cooked joint every day. And my naked kebab from Armenian kebab house on a Saturday night smothered in chilli sauce and garlic mayo has been the highlight of my week!.

I would encourage everyone to know their numbers. The test for t2d is called a hba1c. I was diagnosed at 62 or 7.8%. 48 and over is diabetic. 42 to 47 isprediabetic. I got down to 39 in a short space of time and my symptoms disappeared, dry mouth, blurry vision, itchy skin, IBS, severe and constant heartburn for weeks, regular yeast infections, skin tags!

I would also encourage testing with a blood glucose monitor. This will tell you what foods you are ok eating and those to avoid, the ones that spike your bloods. Spikes cause complications like nerve damage (neuropathy) eyesight problems, kidney damage, a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Skin problems and much more. Diabetes can effect every part of the body.

My mum suffered with her type 2 diabetes as many do. I remember the community nurse coming every day to dress her leg wounds that just would not heal. Injecting higher and higher amounts of insulin. She could not see by this point and just used to listen to the clicks of her insulin pen to know how much to inject. It was so sad to see and upsets me to think about it.

There are horror stories out there surrounding diabetes. I dont want to be one of them. And if i can raise awareness to others anyway I can I will.

I'm currently working with my surgery Adelaide St. Patients helping patients. Social prescribing. I next have a room Wednesday 11th Sept. PM. If you are a patient at Harris Medical or Adelaide and you are interested in a one to one to talk over your own concerns about diabetes or maybe feel you need to lose a few lbs then contact reception and book in. Very informal.

I felt devastated on my diagnosis. I was told it was a progressive disease. I felt lost. Incredibly worried and guilty that I had done this to myself. I was given a whole load of leaflets to read and booked on a DESMOND course. It would have been wonderful to have been able to talk to someone, someone who.could give me hope and not despair. I found that help and support online at diabetes.co.uk after googling 'reversing diabetes'!!! Never looked back. I have made some very good friends on the forum. Learned from experts. And we have a great laugh along the way.

It has indeed been a blessing in disguise as I have never felt better. Long may it last.

Reactions: Prem51

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotoff the press

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9...in-i-just-had-to-beat-it-by-changing-my-diet/

Well done Debra!!!
I introduced mum to low carb eating after Dad passed away and she came to stay with us for a few weeks in March. I told her about you and your diabetes. She has been insulin dependent for a few years now and couldn’t control her sugar levels. She has kept it up and is enjoying food again after years of eating just what dad wanted, sandwiches, chips etc. her doctor, after trying to regulate her sugar levels without success, has taken her off the insulin injections completely. She has been needle free for a few weeks now and has never felt better. She will be in UK next month until November so you may meet her.

My reply

You have no idea how happy this makes me feel. It is possible to come off insulin and meds but not everyone will want to change their lifestyle. Please say well done to your mum. I would LOVE to meet her. We are told once on meds that's it. It's a progressive disease. We will eventually end up on insulin and there isnothing we can do about it. This is why I'm doing this. There IS an alternate and it doesnt cost anything. It could save the NHS billions if they just advocated it. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!! Xxxx

My Facebook post:

I wasnt sure if they would include my story or when it would be in if so. I didnt get to proof read the tons of info I gave in my interview but this sums it up really well. They have included a photo of my dear mum . and also my beautiful granddaughter Willow and my 2nd mum, auntie Bernie which I'm thrilled about because it helps to make it very real. The photo of the bigger me was from 2014. I hate it but it shows me at the biggest. And the reason I put on weight I know now was down to insulin resistance. My body was struggling to deal with the sugar and consequently was storing it as fat!

Yes I thought I ate healthy, brown bread, pasta rice potatoes, 'healthy' cereal. Fruit and fruit juice. Not only was it too many carbs (which turn to sugar), which lead me to my type 2 diagnosis, but I ate too often. I've cut carbs right back. I've increased my healthy fat intake. Cut out processed food as its loaded with sugar, often hidden under over 50 different names. I eat like my granny used to eat basically. Carbs give you energy, when you cut back your body uses fat for its energy. As a result i lost weight rapidly. And the biggy for me was I didnt feel hungry as fats keep you full for longer. Fat is our friend not our enemy.

Yes I'm classed as in remission. But I will always be diabetic. If I go back to my old ways it would no doubt come back. The way I look at it is I have a dads army fighting the sugar inside me whereas non diabetics have the SAS. But I can control it well with diet. And I still love my food. One of the photos shows me eating a boxed salad from Kate's, my local butty shop. They are enormous and I eat the lot (I ask for a low carb option). Freshly cooked joint every day. And my naked kebab from Armenian kebab house on a Saturday night smothered in chilli sauce and garlic mayo has been the highlight of my week!.

I would encourage everyone to know their numbers. The test for t2d is called a hba1c. I was diagnosed at 62 or 7.8%. 48 and over is diabetic. 42 to 47 isprediabetic. I got down to 39 in a short space of time and my symptoms disappeared, dry mouth, blurry vision, itchy skin, IBS, severe and constant heartburn for weeks, regular yeast infections, skin tags!

I would also encourage testing with a blood glucose monitor. This will tell you what foods you are ok eating and those to avoid, the ones that spike your bloods. Spikes cause complications like nerve damage (neuropathy) eyesight problems, kidney damage, a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Skin problems and much more. Diabetes can effect every part of the body.

My mum suffered with her type 2 diabetes as many do. I remember the community nurse coming every day to dress her leg wounds that just would not heal. Injecting higher and higher amounts of insulin. She could not see by this point and just used to listen to the clicks of her insulin pen to know how much to inject. It was so sad to see and upsets me to think about it.

There are horror stories out there surrounding diabetes. I dont want to be one of them. And if i can raise awareness to others anyway I can I will.

I'm currently working with my surgery Adelaide St. Patients helping patients. Social prescribing. I next have a room Wednesday 11th Sept. PM. If you are a patient at Harris Medical or Adelaide and you are interested in a one to one to talk over your own concerns about diabetes or maybe feel you need to lose a few lbs then contact reception and book in. Very informal.

I felt devastated on my diagnosis. I was told it was a progressive disease. I felt lost. Incredibly worried and guilty that I had done this to myself. I was given a whole load of leaflets to read and booked on a DESMOND course. It would have been wonderful to have been able to talk to someone, someone who.could give me hope and not despair. I found that help and support online at diabetes.co.uk after googling 'reversing diabetes'!!! Never looked back. I have made some very good friends on the forum. Learned from experts. And we have a great laugh along the way.

It has indeed been a blessing in disguise as I have never felt better. Long may it last.
Fantastic, Deb.

I checked a copy of the Sun yesterday when in Tescos but of course I was a day too early.

( Ash Tree House has agreed to follow suit. Moor Street haven’t got back yet ).

I hope the message will percolate through to those in need of course, but also to those involved at surgery level (including the DESMOND crowd) that haven’t got the message yet.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez Well done Debs.. It's long time since I purchased a newspaper. 75p I was shocked.
I've asked my daughter to buy 3! That's just today! And one every other day this week. I
Abroad!! Costly but a great investment. I will be throwing them all over the place when I get home Haha.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've asked my daughter to buy 3! That's just today! And one every other day this week. I
Abroad!! Costly but a great investment. I will be throwing them all over the place when I get home Haha.
I just read the detail (on the link) through. I only skimmed through it earlier. It looks like the Sun have the correct detail too, which is excellent.

Reactions: Debandez and jjraak

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Music to my ears! Fantastic news. You don't hear that news often enough that's for sure.
w back on track no more carbs seriously on LCHF
Even sharing your story here and on your facebook page is phenomenal. Every share helps. Your results are fantastic.
Hello am back fell off the wagon but no

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello am back fell off the wagon but no
Thank you
I just read the detail (on the link) through. I only skimmed through it earlier. It looks like the Sun have the correct detail too, which is excellent.
yes have read it too and l was pleased to see avocados as they are my favourite

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hotoff the press

Well done Debra!!!

My reply

My Facebook post:

Sums it all up beautifully, @Debandez

TERRIFIC post.
Well done you for taking the battle to educate others to such a national extent.

You and our others members, working quietly.. And not so quietly in the background are doing outstanding work

Many will benefit from the knowledge you are getting out there.

How I hope that one day the gold standard is a doctor to relay the news in a more compassionate way, with better advice then EAT LESS, MOVE MORE... And a @Debandez on call for that desperately needed One To One within days if not hours ...

(If they know you will be diagnosed, I suppose they could prep you or someone like you so they can coincide the DX delivery with the offer of you BEING available for a telephone chat, an EMAIL/TEXT Support role, etc, moving on to a 1-1 meeting or a small group chat with others in the same position.

Maybe a small support group, informal meetings once a week, come along and meet others liked you, share best ideas, and just have a coffee and slowly begin to realise, your world has changed, BUT it hasn't ended, not by a long way ..
Let's make that lonely walk, in such dark despair a thing of history . Mmhh An idea.

And one i would have LOVED to have been offered after my diagnosis, much as Google WAS my Guiding Light that showed the way to the life support available on this Wonderful Forum.

And THAT is what it was.
My life changed, and THIS forum supported me through that change

More Power to it
Long may it last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez and Prem51

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sums it all up beautifully, @Debandez

TERRIFIC post.
Well done you for taking the battle to educate others to such a national extent.

You and our others members, working quietly.. And not so quietly in the background are doing outstanding work

Many will benefit from the knowledge you are getting out there.

How I hope that one day the gold standard is a doctor to relay the news in a more compassionate way, with better advice then EAT LESS, MOVE MORE... And a @Debandez on call for that desperately needed One To One within days if not hours ...

(If they know you will be diagnosed, I suppose they could prep you or someone like you so they can coincide the DX delivery with the offer of you BEING available for a telephone chat, an EMAIL/TEXT Support role, etc, moving on to a 1-1 meeting or a small group chat with others in the same position.

Maybe a small support group, informal meetings once a week, come along and meet others liked you, share best ideas, and just have a coffee and slowly begin to realise, your world has changed, BUT it hasn't ended, not by a long way ..
Let's make that lonely walk, in such dark despair a thing of history . Mmhh An idea.

And one i would have LOVED to have been offered after my diagnosis, much as Google WAS my Guiding Light that showed the way to the life support available on this Wonderful Forum.

And THAT is what it was.
My life changed, and THIS forum supported me through that change

More Power to it
Long may it last.

I'm ok at PR. And will continue to get on my orange box doing my bit. I'm vocal. Very! I dont mind ruffling feathers. Got it to do when you are fighting for a cause. But the real heroes are those on the forum helping others day in day out. Week after week. Months on end. Selflessly giving up their valuable time. Without them there would be nobody for me to point people to. They are all superstars. You know who you are.

I was devastated on dx as you and most are. Left with leaflets and a 6 month appointment. 'Its progressive'. So there's no hope then!!! I want to give others hope. The option! Take it or leave it. But it has to be given. Complications have to be emphasised. Bs monitors offered.

We will get there.

I have the inspirational stories booklet. Most in there have done PR. We need more willing and able. We could add more to the booklet. Its powerful as it stands but could be even moreso. Connie doing a sterling job today in the Sun. Looking forward to the rest of the week.

Today I'm tweeting Lorraine Kelly, holly and Phil for starters!!! Will get on TV of it's the last thing I do!!!

We make a great team and that's what makes this forum so very special

LoubyLou 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hotoff the press

Fantastic well done for getting it into the Sun and for all the hard work you have put in. I haven't been testing and need to go back to the drawing board with the testing. I'm Type II, put myself on my own version of Low Carb accidentally (because no one was helping me for months with my new diagnosis - so I just figured well if I cut carbs that I know are sugary and sugar out that is a start. By the time I finally saw a Diabetic nurse (many months down the line, sigh) I had lost 4 stone in weight was was no longer in the diabetic range. Unfortunately I was only found to be Diabetic when I presented in hospital with a serious health condition and they tested for for all manner of things. I think its why the Diabetes was sort of shelved. It was super high though when found. I was given a monitor at some point but couldn't be bothered to use it (doh). Over two years I've put one stone back on (I originally lost three stone). Annual appointment I was really unwell with my other health condition and didn't take in everything that was said apart from my readings were higher and a concern so I said I would shift the one stone I had gained and go back in three months. Three months is up and they haven't called me. Its all a bit lax where I am. I also have only shifted about half 5lbs in that three months (as other health condition was still bad and my focus wasn't on diabetes).

I think I need advice to start from the beginning and monitor my readings and take notes at my diabetic consultations. I've no idea what my HB thingy was. See, I don't even know what its called. I need to start to take this more seriously!

Have you Deb or anyone else got some pointers for me please? I'm happy eating low carb but I am a vegetarian (been one most of my life). I also intermittent fast after evening meal (as early as I can, usually 6 to 6:30pm but sometimes as late as 7:30pm then I don't usually eat again until 11am or 12pm).

Any advice welcome or suggestions where to look in the threads.

Thank you.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Listlad