What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me to I read all the info on them but far too expensive for me to self fund. I know others say they do not get sore fingers from getting blood to flow but mine constantly hurt even if I use a fresh lance each time, makes my guitar, Mandolin and banjo playing very uncomfortable Still needs must, although just as I think I know how different foods make my BG behave there still seems to be an awful lot of surprises.

All the best for your presentation.
@Muddy Cyclist
The lancets used to hurt my fingers, and they got sorer and sorer. And I didn’t have any fingers left. Then I had an idea. I was using pure lavender oil on a mosquito bite on my hand and used the finger I prick on to put it down n the bite. And it seemed to ease it.

So then, immediately after a finger prick I put a drop of lavender on it. It stops it hurting and heals it quickly. I have done this for months now, and you can’t tell by looking that I always prick the same two fingers to test.

It’s just what I do...

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prick the outside sides of my third and little fingertip on my right hand, because I am right-handed and this saves my left-hand fingers, which I need for fingering my guitar strings (when I ever play it). I rarely use my right little finger when finger-picking, so this has worked for me so far. Of course, unlike a banjo or mandolin, my classical guitar has nylon strings, which makes a difference ...

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist
The lancets used to hurt my fingers, and they got sorer and sorer. And I didn’t have any fingers left. Then I had an idea. I was using pure lavender oil on a mosquito bite on my hand and used the finger I prick on to put it down n the bite. And it seemed to ease it.

So then, immediately after a finger prick I put a drop of lavender on it. It stops it hurting and heals it quickly. I have done this for months now, and you can’t tell by looking that I always prick the same two fingers to test.

It’s just what I do...
Thanks for the tip, I will give this a try.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My day of creativity never happened. Mrs MC decided she was fed up of seeing me like a scarecrow in baggy clothes and so off we went to shop. She was right my waist has shrunk from a 38 to a 32 since April the problem is weight is still dropping and I really can't increase my protein any more, I am not that keen on lots of meat and fed up of fish, fish ,fish. :(
The only available place to have lunch was M&S which had absolutely nothing available that was not Heavily Carb based and had run out of soup so Mrs MC had a very appertising lunch whilst I drank a black coffee, non of which is helping my weight.
Still I have cooked an Aubergine bake with lots of Full fat Cottage Cheese and Yogurt for tea to cheer me up. :)
Congrats on the weight loss, tho that may not be as welcome as it sounds.i think.

as for the weight loss continuing.

i am no expert but i have heard that it's:
CARBS for the meter.
FATS for the scales.

as in monitor and balance both (+/-) to get the desired goal.

i still have a hankering for sweet things, but i rarely eat anything sweet.
so since since dx i kid myself with a pudding...(was rarely on my menu back then )
its berries and cream...and i sometimes add in the low carb ice creams..halo, oppo, etc
doesn't seem to impact me and it's a nice, delicious treat..and my weight loss has stabilised.
now i do nowhere near the exercise you do..so that may have a bigger contribution to make.

BUT if your worried about losing more weight AND you can't up the other macronutrients,
(meat ..Yummy .
m1281.gif
......Fish ..:***:
t2511.gif
)
maybe a week or two of that might prove or disprove it's usefulness ?

or maybe add avocado..plenty of good fats in that ?

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.8 at 0300, her Ladyship has been delivered to the airport and I'm enjoying even more coffee. Today I shall be mostly making a noise... because I can :)

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 5.9 at 6 am today,

@jjraak Thanks for your concern and suggestions. Yes, you are right weight loss great but continued loss is a problem. I have reduced my exercise Mountain Biking to twice a week which I am not happy about, eat most of the foods you listed and snack on nuts and cheese. I will keep experimenting, it's still early days since my diagnosis. However this morning I have hit the under 12 stone weight at 11 stone 13 pounds so am still heading towards becoming the invisible man.:)

@HarrisonK enjoy your noise making I will put my ear plugs in.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me to I read all the info on them but far too expensive for me to self fund. I know others say they do not get sore fingers from getting blood to flow but mine constantly hurt even if I use a fresh lance each time, makes my guitar, Mandolin and banjo playing very uncomfortable Still needs must, although just as I think I know how different foods make my BG behave there still seems to be an awful lot of surprises.

All the best for your presentation.

I dont have issues with finger pricking. Sympathise with you especially as you could do without the pain as you play instruments.

I've just checked my libre record and it seems I went below 3.9 in the night! Would never have known that without libre.

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I’m trying at the moment. For me cutting carbs with LCHF bought my sugars down nicely, but I still needed over 50 units of insulin a day to keep my sugars within limits. I did further research and found that 8-12 weeks on this 800 calories shake replacement diet was meant to kick start the body into using the insulin produced by the body better and reduce insulin resistance. I have stopped taking insulin now, but it’s difficult to stick to the diet, I have had a couple of slip ups, but found if I keep to zero carb slip ups it doesn’t effect my sugars. I’m aiming for about 8 weeks on this diet then I will go back to normal diet but trying to keep lower carb. I wanted to transition slowly back to real food but as I’m on holiday straight after this diet I don’t want to be messing about. I still don’t know if I will be able to stay off insulin, the test will be the first month after starting LCHF again.

On the other hand one of my slip ups was pizza, and rather than it taking my sugars up to 30 which was common while taking insulin, without insulin on this 800 calorie diet I only went up to low 9s. Which is encouraging me that it may be making changes to my insulin production and usage already.
It's going really well for you. Interesting to read about your journey too. Thanks for sharing .

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks PM but that is the device I also use and I stab the sides, providing blood flows if not I resort to tips. I don't actually have pain when stabbing it can be hours later when trying to hold down the strings on my instruments, just like the nerves have become sensitive through all the stabbing.

You can also stab the other side of your fingers - underneath the nail above the first finger joint. It sounds horrible but isn’t that bad and tends to bleed well. Dr Bernstein mentions this site in his Diabetes Solution book. You can stab under that joint too but I’ve never managed to squeeze enough blood out from there.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning !!!! As inexplicable as the 6.8 a couple of days ago but I’ll take it.
@HarrisonK your post made me smile - enjoy making lots of noise today.
@Debandez wow! The Libre is fascinating.
@Muddy Cyclist I’d second the more nuts advice to stop losing weight. It often seems to be snacking on nuts which stalls people’s weight loss when they are trying to lose ,so the opposite must be true if you are trying not to lose weight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. @Muddy Cyclist how tall are you out of interest?. I am 6 foot and 11 st 9/10 and feel quite a little overweight so depending on your height may not be a problem. Sympathise with the meat issue LC has done that to me. As @jjraak says avocados, eggs and cheese (wary of that personally). To be honest someone who gets good results would be more help than me. @HarrisonK what a star for getting up so early to drive Miss Daisy to airport? Enjoy the rest of the day.
So, the mendacious meter claimed to be negotiating a 5.7 this morning. I am demanding all electronic,written and verbal evidence connected with the incident. Phone call yesterday to say buyer (for our house) had dropped out so exploring options now. Interesting month or so but still no reason to settle for very sub optimal readings. Remember that your Character should always be stronger than your Circumstances.
Edited for more sensitive wording.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning which is good because I had a huge chunk of cheese at 10pm when I got home from work. I was starving.

Rushing out shortly to take doggies for a walk then off for a blood test. I feel a bit dispirited because I know that my hba1c will be way higher than my BS readings suggest that it should be.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.4 today

If it stays dry we may go over to mum's to give her dog a walk this morning and check in with a neighbour who's husband is away for work all week, see if she needs any shopping or anything :)

After that probably we'll treat ourselves to lunch out and do our shopping (which we avoided doing yesterday since it was raining all day and mr gee still has a miserable cold) ;)

The flax crackers weren't bad, I need to add a bit more seasoning, but they held up well to being spread with stuff so I'll make a bigger batch next time the oven is on, might try some sweetened LC biscuits at the same time (getting adventurous now ;) ).

The crackers were just flax seed with a bit of seasoning mixed with some water and spread thinly on a baking sheet, topped with a sprinkle of grated cheese.

Hope your day treats you well :)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can also stab the other side of your fingers - underneath the nail above the first finger joint. It sounds horrible but isn’t that bad and tends to bleed well. Dr Bernstein mentions this site in his Diabetes Solution book. You can stab under that joint too but I’ve never managed to squeeze enough blood out from there.
Hmmmm, am I that brave:meh: I will pick up the courage and give it ago, thanks for the advise.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...great sleep last night odd how lots of sleep sets me off to a slow start I would have hoped for the contrary...breaking news from the authorities in anticipation of Brexit we need to prepare a 'grab bag' with necessities...so definitely my bottle of Sipsmith (gin) the bottle of champers in the fridge cousin Ness gave me as a thank you...will ruminate on the other essentials before packing them...wondering what would be in your 'grab bags' woke to a 6.6

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning which is good because I had a huge chunk of cheese at 10pm when I got home from work. I was starving.

Rushing out shortly to take doggies for a walk then off for a blood test. I feel a bit dispirited because I know that my hba1c will be way higher than my BS readings suggest that it should be.
@Krystyna23040 best wishes for blood tests and why dispirited? You are doing all you can and this is all about the pursuit of better control not perfect or optimal just better. You are in remission which people like me have long ago given up as a dream. You'll be fine.

Reactions: jjraak